Kilo Station Lovers Thread

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Kilo Station Lovers Thread

Post by san7890 » #644669

About 98% of everyone who plays on /tg/ does not like Kilo (Real Statisics: Out of 450 players surveyed in April of 2022, 116 players put Kilo as a 1/10 map (25.8%) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31625 ).
► Show Spoiler
However, whenever I go into #tgstation-general, there's always some guy who says: "naw I actually like Kilo". It's one or two voices drowned out by like, five other anti-Kilo persons. I like all of the maps for obvious reasons, but I am absolutely astounded whenever someone says that they'd actually prefer Kilo to other maps.

So, what do you like about Kilo (if anything)? Merely holding a singular positive opinion about Kilo puts you in a very small minority group, but let's collate them all for future reference. If you want to be crass or sarcastic because you hate every single pixel of Kilo, I won't stop you either. I just want to really see which people like Kilo for what reasons in a way that I can easily access in the future.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
AnonymousForumUser
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Re: Kilo Station Lovers Thread

Post by AnonymousForumUser » #644675

I like that the recycler is in the custodial closet, so you can always sort through the trash before recycling. This way nobody can come along and turn the conveyor belt on and let everything recycle before I can sort through it.

It's also great that the custodial closet is accessible from the hallway, and not hidden somewhere in maintenance.

The abandoned custodial closet in maintenance is neat. You can get new supplies there if you lost yours, or if you're an assistant picking up the slack.

The rusted walls are a unique, they give the station a run-down feel. Making that rusted hunk-of-junk look like it was brand new would be a fun thing to do on a slow janitor shift. Though I really, really wish all of the roundstart rust would be reachable without having to dismantle the surrounding walls and machinery. A frustrating amount of the most visible rust is like this. I think I might try to learn mapping one day, if only just to fix this.
(forum profile distorted to protect privacy)
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #644685

I really want to run a janitorial ERT event on it to fully revamp it during a round, but you need the ghosts at roundstart for that which feels pretty rare?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #644711

I just like that it isn't the other maps. I like the other maps because they aren't each other. I came from a place where we played on 1 map for a decade with very little in the way of major overhauls, and it always played the same (still fun tho). I just enjoy a change in scenery.
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #644745

the only maps i like are meta and pubby
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #644746

thomanthewise5404 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:51 am the only maps i like are meta pubby and pubby
bring back pubby
Spoiler:

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #644747

griefing this thread by saying kilo sux
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #644753

It's a circle, and has a unique aesthetic, which makes it refreshing to play.
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644754

kawoppi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:44 pm -snip-

I think I might try to learn mapping one day, if only just to fix this.
It’s easy to learn mapping these days, just pick the parts you need to know: https://hackmd.io/@tgstation/SyVma0dS5
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #644770

die... NOW!
Living God

Extraordinary Person

dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #644773

It's fine for low pop rounds
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #644776

cry babies who can't think of a single positive go home

i like the monsters in maint
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644777

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:43 am cry babies who can't think of a single positive go home

i like the monsters in maint
They interact well with sentient potions

Very epic

Ectoplasm should be a cytology spawn...

Surprised we don't have a special ghost jaunt that makes a spectral oooh noise and allows a ghost to temporarily phase 2 tiles forward. But they can spam it.
► Show Spoiler
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #644779

I like kilo because it's small. It makes very efficient use of space while also having quite expansive maint tunnels.

The only change I would recommend is moving the chapel back on station.
KniraTwo
Byond Username: Knira

Post by KniraTwo » #644780

Kilo has the lobster suit 10/10
stewydeadmike
Byond Username: Stewydeadmike

Post by stewydeadmike » #644784

the maintenance tunnels are easily my favorite part of kilo. With electrified grilles and monsters around every corner it seems like the only station that really lives up to the whole "metal death trap" ethos.

the only real problem Kilo has imo is that visually its very noisy. And while it certainly gives the map its character and charm it also gets pretty tiring after awhile.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #644792

I don't mind kilo, it's certainly my least favorite of the maps except for during low pop, but if nothing else I think its aesthetically pleasing. The rooms feel way more alive and less empty than other maps. Maint is also very cool, I wish other station maints were more like kilos.
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644795

stewydeadmike wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:52 pm the maintenance tunnels are easily my favorite part of kilo. With electrified grilles and monsters around every corner it seems like the only station that really lives up to the whole "metal death trap" ethos.

-snip-
Yeah, I definitely agree on this point. However, Nanotrasen presumably doesn’t like having a meat grinder of a station, and would probably like to make a profit. Kilo really does feed into that point, but it’s all thematic and makes sense. However, stations aren’t a metal death trap because the station sucks, they’re death traps because of who occupies them (antagonists).

That’s how I see it, anyways. Kilo has some very good vibes with it being a refurbished station.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #644836

Great map with a lot of character. Best one in current rotation, but definitely not my favorite.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #644837

I like Kilo, it's a shame Manuel never dips below 40 pop to play it.

The PR that allows you to remove rust from walls gave bored people a huge undertaking to do. I always de-rust my department when I'm bored. Creates a look of Kilo in its prime.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #644839

As others had said, I think the maint is pretty cool. That's the only thing I can say that's positive though, however I'm also the kind of person who would be perfectly content to only play on Meta and Delta and nothing else.
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644843

mrmelbert wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:11 am I like Kilo, it's a shame Manuel never dips below 40 pop to play it.
From "Kilo population requirement." viewtopic.php?p=644457#p644457 :
Mothblocks, in reference to the headmin term:

Maptainers don't seem to show any interest in this and we hold no strong opinions

It's all OK though because I personally do not see Kilo as really sustainable for higher populations.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #644849

san7890 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:30 am
blah blah you're full of crap melbert
From a player perspective I think it's a shame because I'd like to play it more,
but from a headmin perspective I both recognize the dubiousness of Kilo and also like to listen to the maptainers so I hold no strong opinions.

(I also slightly helped set the pop requirements for the other maps when I 'fixed' map voting, so I understand where the numbers come from.)
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644851

mrmelbert wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:40 am -snipping me calling melbert full of crap-

From a player perspective I think it's a shame because I'd like to play it more,
but from a headmin perspective I both recognize the dubiousness of Kilo and also like to listen to the maptainers so I hold no strong opinions.

(I also slightly helped set the pop requirements for the other maps when I 'fixed' map voting, so I understand where the numbers come from.)
That's about as fair as it gets
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #644854

I'm of the belief that Melbert should force the map to Kilo every once in a while on Manuel when he wants to play it
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644858

Mothblocks wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:05 am I'm of the belief that Melbert should force the map to Kilo every once in a while on Manuel when he wants to play it
Insert silly image macro of Melbert's static (you know the one) with his head on a spike as the playerbase of the server he forces it on riots
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #644867

San: hey boys and girls, where are my kilo lovers??
Everyone: cricket noises
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644868

Timonk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:28 am San: hey boys and girls, where are my kilo lovers??
literally twenty posts prove you wrong "San's Papa"
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #644870

Living God

Extraordinary Person

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #644874

san7890 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:36 am
Timonk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:28 am San: hey boys and girls, where are my kilo lovers??
literally twenty posts prove you wrong "San's Papa"
Strictly speaking my post should not be taken as an endorsement, but I have high hopes for future reworks of kilo, like the alleged Multi-Z overhaulk
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644875

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:57 am -snip-

but I have high hopes for future reworks of kilo, like the alleged Multi-Z overhaulk
WHO THE FUCK SAID ANYTHING ABOUT A MULTI-Z REWORK OF KILO??? WHERE ARE THEY

JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #644883

I like kilo, it has a unique charm and has spots for engineering people to fix up and build on.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #644884

san7890 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:58 am
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:57 am -snip-

but I have high hopes for future reworks of kilo, like the alleged Multi-Z overhaulk
WHO THE FUCK SAID ANYTHING ABOUT A MULTI-Z REWORK OF KILO??? WHERE ARE THEY

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22551&start=150#p611356

No word for half a year 😭
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #644886

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:11 am -snip-

That’s insane. I don’t think Okand is in the /tg/ Discord right now either. I dunno how well the non-departmental-hallway layout of Kilo would translate through ladders and staircases until I see a whole product.

You do remember how to map, right?
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #644891

san7890 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:17 am

That’s insane. I don’t think Okand is in the /tg/ Discord right now either. I dunno how well the non-departmental-hallway layout of Kilo would translate through ladders and staircases until I see a whole product.

You could not possibly pay me enough to take over the MultiZ Kilo project
Mrzelix
Byond Username: Mrzelix

Post by Mrzelix » #644903

Kilo: service areas are nice (bar, chapel, etc), medbay is OK, security is too long with perma, otherwise pretty good, engineering is alright, has the fastest CE office tide in the west, cargo is cool, command feels like every other command ever, science needs some touch-ups, but at least monkeys can’t activate fire alarm anymore. Maint is fun. 7.5/10
Incompetent Lightbulb and annoying nokia, somehow manages to stick around.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #644912

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:15 am
san7890 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:17 am

You could not possibly pay me enough to take over the MultiZ Kilo project
2 dollars?
HeyHey
Byond Username: Heyhey69

Post by HeyHey » #644923

I love Kilo maint. It has better flavor (catdoc etc) than Meta and Delta combined. Also it's nice to have a sprawling maint on a 1 Z level map unlike Icebox & Tram which are split up. I like Maint.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #644928

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
mindstormy
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Mindstormy

Post by mindstormy » #645128

I think it is a great station. The monsters in maintenance add a lot of flavor that NONE of the other maps have. I'd even argue it is not a low pop only map. It just gives more opportunities for getting to know your fellow spessman up close and personal. Being so close to each other makes hiding your bad actions much harder so it gives all the experienced folks more of a challenge when they are antagonists. I agree with some of the other posters that the recycler being in the custodial area is a massive improvement. I mean why was it even in cargo to begin with on other maps? Trash is and always should be the janitors priority not cargos.

What I hate is folks getting pissy anytime the map gets voted for and then they proceed to tide extra hard to cause the station to fall into ruin faster so they don't even have to play it. I think thats sad and it is a really bad way for spessmen to act. If you do not want to play a map don't play the round. Ruining a shift for others because you don't like a map is just rude.

ALSO if you folks really do not like it, go learn to map and make a better map and maintain it yourself.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #645148

Kilo is fine
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.