are admins the new politicans?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
celularLAmp
Byond Username: Celulamp

are admins the new politicans?

Post by celularLAmp » #648627

they're always afraid to express their opinion on things and agree with majority

do not be afraid to have opinions or shit

its ok for people to not like each other

like if a admin thinks a player is annoying they should just say it instead of tip toeing around

im not saying call them dolts just say yeah that guy sucks ass

just because your a admin doesnt mean u have to have your mask up 24/7 of being a professional

it makes a seperation between people who dont have online personas and arej ust themselves
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: are admins the new politicans?

Post by Mothblocks » #648630

admins openly talk about how they dislike specific players already
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
celularLAmp

Post by celularLAmp » #648632

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:21 am admins openly talk about how they dislike specific players already

not all do
but
i appreciate that you do
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #648643

i HATE junaiper values
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #648645

I didn't know that being a polite person was a stand-in for being a professional person. Guess you learn something every day.

Some of us just don't come from incessantly toxic boards where people think they can be rude, or be rude and then get away with being rude without being called out on it.

Some of those people don't like to stir the pot and create drama, and treat people with respect.

Its certainly strange that people like that would be desirable.

Not sure why they would be though.

That's a load of nonsense.
Hugs
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #648651

Staff are expected to be impartial and disregard treating/punishing players differently based on personal takes.
Misdoubtful explains it best, its for the better of the community if staff are not dicks to the players and remain professional in public.
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #648657

i HATE junaiper values
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #648658

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:19 am I didn't know that being a polite person was a stand-in for being a professional person. Guess you learn something every day.

Some of us just don't come from incessantly toxic boards where people think they can be rude, or be rude and then get away with being rude without being called out on it.

Some of those people don't like to stir the pot and create drama, and treat people with respect.

In a sudden turn of events, your reply to a relatively harmless question was more rude and passive-aggressive than the OP.

I think San illuminated it well in the recent peanut. Depending on the strictness of the headmin term (what I gather is the current one is fairly strict when it comes to admin conduct), admins may be expected to represent the TG community as a whole whenever they make a public statement. If their opinion goes against what most admins believe, what headmins believe, or what headmins believe an admin should be saying, they can get batcaved and disciplined and maybe even deadminned or re-trialed for their conduct.

In light of all that, it makes sense to me why players are more liberal in their speech than admins. I think it's taking things a bit too seriously when there's this sort of pressure on admins to stifle themselves from the full freedom of expression. You should be able to say something wacky, silly, ironic, maybe a little bit wild, even - and not have to worry about getting whacked for it.
Spoiler:
celularLAmp

Post by celularLAmp » #648661

san7890 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:02 am i HATE junaiper values

admi n admins admins im being targeted
celularLAmp

Post by celularLAmp » #648662

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:19 am Some of those people don't like to stir the pot and create drama, and treat people with respect.

holding your emotions in is never a good thing
id rather tell someone i hate them then just let it fester in my brain

plus i like it if people are more transparent with what they think rather than hiding it

insst that were like supose to do

u can dislike people but still be nice about it its just ive noticed 90% of the time admins will not have takes on things and i get its to prevent conflict but it makes the admins seem more artifical or creates trust issues between players

if you dont know what the admins takes on things are its easy to assume "They dont agree with me!" but maybe you only think that if yer insecure
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #648663

It also takes more courage to actually state publicly you dislike someone, or even better: to tell them directly why you dislike something they did/do, as opposed to keeping it to yourself or gossiping about them to friends.
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #648673

This is an interesting topic. My thoughts aren’t super well developed on this so I’ll try and just give a little, non-comprehensive list.

- in a team with 100 different people with varying views on the game and approaches to adminning it, disagreements and differences in opinion are not only inevitable, but frequent and common. You have to make peace with this fact or you’ll just go crazy
- as someone who has forum posted for years and now adminned for a year, I’ve been exposed to a lot and as such am just less interested in these things nowadays
- combine these above two things with the fact that I am hesitant to insult, disrespect, or undermine other admins, I find keeping my mouth shut is usually the best course of action
- you need to be able to effectively manage your energy as an admin. Find the hills worth fighting on, most aren’t worth your time

In spite of all that I think I still post a lot more than the average admin. I 100% agree that admins should be a part of community discussion but it’s hard to balance that with those things mentioned above. I don’t really know the answer or perfect approach to the whole thing. As for the situation which I’m sure prompted this thread - I feel as if that whole topic is so charged that to even join the discussion and take a side is to lose.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #648681

Where are my conservative admins
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #648684

when i applied to be an admin, i was asked, and subsequently promised, to never again erect a bonfire and stake to burn people alive at in public (read: the burning of zybwivcz) because it makes the admin team look bad

whether this is true or how far i can take it has yet to be tested, but i'm not in the mood for charging into the woods, tripping on a branch, and blowing my own head of with a shotgun because i didn't bother paying attention to where i was walking

i do have several actual qualms about the state of administration on /tg/, though, namely (hot take warning)

- the lack of an actual central source of administrative policy (admins have too much discretion for player-facing punishments)
- the lack of leniency from many admins (banning people for a week when they clearly just fucked up the one time)
- the failure to target specific playstyle issues (stop banning people when you just need to sit them down for five minutes and tell them to stop)
- the written rules aren't fucking written down in one place and it drives me insane (most of the actual enforced rules are actually either "de facto" common law or headmin rulings from years ago nobody can even fucking link to if they tried)
- the admins are too damn inactive (sybil adminwho: <empty>)

players don't get to see most of these in action but i pray at least one admin out there knows exactly what i mean

all of these things can be fixed but holy shit they are absolutely not fixed right now--at least on sybil
Spoiler:

celularLAmp

Post by celularLAmp » #648689

coders and players are seperated

admins and players are seperated

but its a community based game which makes it bad !

anyhow i would say more but i think i might repeat myself or not know how to phrase it

i was gonna make some allusion to robocop
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #648714

when i applied to become admin my forum posting was specifically put under scrutiny and i intentionally have dialed back my peanut-posting. at the same time, if i disagree with a ban/decision i now also have the liberty of talking to the admin(s) before the decision even goes through, which is much more effective than screaming on the forums- but it doesnt really guarantee anything. fellow co-admins also have the beliefs that Misdoubtful outlined and are especially hammering this in during my trialminship. personally i believe that admins oughta still be able to peanut-post, post their opinions, etc. but i see the arguments for not. we have a voice of authority on the discussion and if we truly cared about something we have the ability to discuss the ban before it is placed. all-in-all, i see no personal benefit in myself peanut-posting/sharing my opinion.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #648716

i would insert something funny about not getting a tc trade but i havent gotten traitor in a couple of weeks

darn you high pop!!
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #648718

celularLAmp wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:10 am holding your emotions in is never a good thing
id rather tell someone i hate them then just let it fester in my brain

plus i like it if people are more transparent with what they think rather than hiding it

insst that were like supose to do

u can dislike people but still be nice about it its just ive noticed 90% of the time admins will not have takes on things and i get its to prevent conflict but it makes the admins seem more artifical or creates trust issues between players

if you dont know what the admins takes on things are its easy to assume "They dont agree with me!" but maybe you only think that if yer insecure
You right though there are some people here, just like everywhere, that wear different masks. Some are snakes, some just don't get it.

I'm a diplomatic person by nature, but when something comes to mind that would have merit to say, I say it. That doesn't mean everyone is like me. When something is worth thinking about for me, I comment if what I want to say hasn't already been said.

If 90% of admins are like this though, that means there is a mold to fit to be a good fit. People are wanted that will be a good fit.

So yeah, wanting to adhere to being a good fit can totally be artificial for some, some people end up faking it to make it.
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:03 am In a sudden turn of events, your reply to a relatively harmless question was more rude and passive-aggressive than the OP.

I think San illuminated it well in the recent peanut. Depending on the strictness of the headmin term (what I gather is the current one is fairly strict when it comes to admin conduct), admins may be expected to represent the TG community as a whole whenever they make a public statement. If their opinion goes against what most admins believe, what headmins believe, or what headmins believe an admin should be saying, they can get batcaved and disciplined and maybe even deadminned or re-trialed for their conduct.

In light of all that, it makes sense to me why players are more liberal in their speech than admins. I think it's taking things a bit too seriously when there's this sort of pressure on admins to stifle themselves from the full freedom of expression. You should be able to say something wacky, silly, ironic, maybe a little bit wild, even - and not have to worry about getting whacked for it.
My response was tailored to the OP as both joke and truth, to be written in the same kind of format they posted in. They understood it and didn't take offense to it. I apologize if it came off in a different manner for you.

This is less about headmin strictness though and more about a question that millions ask every day: "Would this person be a good fit with the team?". Teams are rather homogenous by nature in most regards. I'm not going to say its a problem or not a problem, but I'm sure if you take a step back you can see the overall path the admin team has been following over the years from where it was to where it is, and be able to come up with a pretty solid conclusion.

Coming up with a picture of a good fit can hinder a team, get it to grow, create healthy conflict, etc. That team is very fluid, so it can be hard to have an environment where people can have and create respectful healthy conflict at times. That part, I will say with certainty can be detrimental.

Preventing conflict in general isn't healthy by any measure, encouraging and promoting healthy conflict on the other hand, is fantastic. Shutting down unhealthy conflict is even more important.

Would you rather deal with someone just stirring the pot, or someone bringing up discussion generating questions and points that is open to having a discussion?

If someone is asked to not 'erect a bonfire' as Scriptis said and is not given the tools and methods to create useful fires, they might swear off making fires altogether. As others here have said they would rather just keep their mouths shut.

That doesn't sound very empowered to create healthy conflict to me, in fact it sounds like the opposite at a first glance.

That said there is internal space for dialogue that many just don't see, where things can be refined, developed, or shut down, before they ever reach the 'people at large'.

Just food for thought.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #648741

Lmao I ain't afraid of shit
based.JPG
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #648748

Drag wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:18 pm Lmao I ain't afraid of shit

based.JPG
Name your least favorite admin

scared now??
Spoiler:
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #648749

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:05 pm

based.JPG

scared now??
Isn't this the part where everyone says Sticky?
Hugs
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #648754

Sticky is based and one of our best admins for sure
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #648755

Wow, that's a great thread celularLAmp and I'm glad you made it. Before we get into that though I'd really like to point out how far our server has come. Just a wonderful community, it's been around for so long and has garnered such an amazing group of talented people of all walks of life.

I'm proud to call this place my home, and I think that everyone reading this should give themselves a big round of applause for making /tg/station the greatest ss13 community on byond and BEYOND!
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #648756

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:05 pm

based.JPG

scared now??
The ones that don't do tc trades :ugeek:
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #648757

Hulkamania wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:44 pm Wow, that's a great thread celularLAmp and I'm glad you made it. Before we get into that though I'd really like to point out how far our server has come. Just a wonderful community, it's been around for so long and has garnered such an amazing group of talented people of all walks of life.

I'm proud to call this place my home, and I think that everyone reading this should give themselves a big round of applause for making /tg/station the greatest ss13 community on byond and BEYOND!
In many ways things just stay the same: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=522
Hugs
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #648765

they're always afraid to express their opinion on things
Here's my opinion: This thread sucks
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #648766

1 はじめに神は天と地とを創造された。

2 地は形なく、むなしく、やみが淵のおもてにあり、神の霊が水のおもてをおおっていた。

3 神は「光あれ」と言われた。すると光があった。

4 神はその光を見て、良しとされた。神はその光とやみとを分けられた。

5 神は光を昼と名づけ、やみを夜と名づけられた。夕となり、また朝となった。第一日である。

6 神はまた言われた、「水の間におおぞらがあって、水と水とを分けよ」。

7 そのようになった。神はおおぞらを造って、おおぞらの下の水とおおぞらの上の水とを分けられた。

8 神はそのおおぞらを天と名づけられた。夕となり、また朝となった。第二日である。

9 神はまた言われた、「天の下の水は一つ所に集まり、かわいた地が現れよ」。そのようになった。

10 神はそのかわいた地を陸と名づけ、水の集まった所を海と名づけられた。神は見て、良しとされた。

11 神はまた言われた、「地は青草と、種をもつ草と、種類にしたがって種のある実を結ぶ果樹とを地の上にはえさせよ」。そのようになった。

12 地は青草と、種類にしたがって種をもつ草と、種類にしたがって種のある実を結ぶ木とをはえさせた。神は見て、良しとされた。

13 夕となり、また朝となった。第三日である。

14 神はまた言われた、「天のおおぞらに光があって昼と夜とを分け、しるしのため、季節のため、日のため、年のためになり、

15 天のおおぞらにあって地を照らす光となれ」。そのようになった。

16 神は二つの大きな光を造り、大きい光に昼をつかさどらせ、小さい光に夜をつかさどらせ、また星を造られた。
celularLAmp

Post by celularLAmp » #648767

Vekter wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:54 pm
they're always afraid to express their opinion on things
Here's my opinion: This thread sucks
it takes one to know one
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #648842

Generally the real squabbling over rulings happens first in #adminchatter or equivalent, then only admins who still care after the dust settles from that talks resolutions post about it on the forums
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕