Poll: Set Character Age Minimum to 18+ ?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)

Raise it to 18+

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 67

BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Poll: Set Character Age Minimum to 18+ ?

Post by BONERMASTER » #648667

Since we had a bit of a situation with freaks lately that are running around naked or whatever as underage characters and being overly sexual, flirty, etc., the question eventually followed of why we even allow this age to be chosen in the first place.

There is certainly some scepticism in regards to actual effectiveness in stopping the perpetrators that may have to be addressed here, but I think it is a good start.

It doesn't have any gameplay effect on anyone, save for some quirks with booze-vendors and so on.
On the other hand, we would be setting the groundwork where underage does not exist, and anybody that tries to pretend anyway, can quickly and easily be engaged by admins, and maybe with some "guided discovery" be brought to a permaban on rule 8.

So far so good. Now, however, you must answer the remaining question: Is this worth addressing? Should we amend the game in this instance, to combat a certain group of unwanted people?

Let's hear your thoughts! The poll is on, you can change your votes at anytime.

With curious regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Poll: Set Character Age Minimum to 18+ ?

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #648669

BONERMASTER wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:35 am It doesn't have any gameplay effect on anyone, save for some quirks with booze-vendors and so on.
With curious regards
-BONERMASTER
Actually, that functionality would be maintained. The boozevender and smoke vendor functionality apply to anyone under the age of 21.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #648672

I think it should be raised, in my personal opinion. I find it very uncomfortable when the age for any character that can freely act like a full adult dips below 18. However, I do understand there are some cultural standpoints that are not my own and this is very much a United States take.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #648687

personally i feel like the roleplay/comedic potential of having the minimum age at 16~ outweighs the downside of needing to ban creepy people from the community every so often

you could make the same argument in favor of removing a lot of things on tgstation that could be abused for gross purposes, just take things on a case by case basis
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #648691

this isn't a config (and i'm assuming oranges does not want to make it one) so this isn't really for policy discussion. when some maints call this an "admin issue", they're refering to enforcement of people playing as 17 year olds being creeps about it

i noticed you made this thread after your thread for ideas, so you probably don't want me to move this there. i'm going to move this to player's club as long as it's not something that can be config'd
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #648705

I see no issue with this and as such I think it would be a good idea to avoid future issues.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #648722

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:53 am
BONERMASTER wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:35 am It doesn't have any gameplay effect on anyone, save for some quirks with booze-vendors and so on.
With curious regards
-BONERMASTER
Actually, that functionality would be maintained. The boozevender and smoke vendor functionality apply to anyone under the age of 21.
Oh, it's 21? I didn't know this, I never actually looked at the code and just assumed it was under 18. I'll set my character's age higher, then, the only reason I had it set to 17 was to trigger this interaction.
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #648737

There's no reason to keep the minimum to 17. None. Nill. Nada.
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #648742

Just remove it because it serves no functionality and you can just roleplay your character as being whatever age you want regardless of what the little "age" button says.

The smoke vendor thing is nice for flavor but if that's the only thing going for it, it serves more harm than good.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #648751

I also came to the conclusion that age creeps are going to creep regardless of what the number says.

I have to ask though: does the number being there enable those sorts of people?

I'd also honestly be interesting in knowing the distribution of character ages on TG. How many of those are 17?
Hugs
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #648753

Just move the smoking age up to 21 and set the floor to 18.
Image Image
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #648761

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:30 pm I also came to the conclusion that age creeps are going to creep regardless of what the number says.

I have to ask though: does the number being there enable those sorts of people?

I'd also honestly be interesting in knowing the distribution of character ages on TG. How many of those are 17?
It's not about not enabling age creeps to creep, it's more about how fucking uncomfortable the idea of having minors on the station is.
Imagine having to undress a minor to do surgery on them or to put them in a prison garb. Imagine seeing a minor running around naked through the halls.
There is no valid reason for a player to have to deal with this, this should not be a thing.
Comm from
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #648762

TheSmallBlue wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 pm It's not about not enabling age creeps to creep, it's more about how fucking uncomfortable the idea of having minors on the station is.
Imagine having to undress a minor to do surgery on them
true, but also it's not like this doesn't happen in real life because it's just doctor's jobs. undressing someone doesn't have to be a sexual act, especially when the reason is "i am trying to prevent you from dying".
i agree with setting it to +18 tho
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #648763

wubli wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:04 pm true, but also it's not like this doesn't happen in real life because it's just doctor's jobs. undressing someone doesn't have to be a sexual act, especially when the reason is "i am trying to prevent you from dying".
i agree with setting it to +18 tho
There's a big distinction between what does happen in real life and what happens in our spess game.
Also just because undressing someone isn't a sexual act doesn't mean that it's not uncomfortable to a lot of people
Comm from
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #648778

make it so age limit is based on species. catpeople have to be 30+

all problems will be solved
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #648782

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:55 pm make it so age limit is based on species. catpeople have to be 30+

Catpeople don't live past 30 though...
Hugs
HommandoSA
Byond Username: HommandoSA

Post by HommandoSA » #648788

TheSmallBlue wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 pm Imagine having to undress a minor to do surgery on them or to put them in a prison garb. Imagine seeing a minor running around naked through the halls.
It's not like you can tell at a glance how old a character is.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #648798

Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:47 am
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:55 pm make it so age limit is based on species. catpeople have to be 30+

Catpeople don't live past 30 though...
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #648801

I'd be amazed if this actually results in a code change
TheSmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #648811

I'd try doing a PR myself just to see what happens but my gbp is low
Comm from
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #648812

It’s literally just a number, it doesn’t do anything
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #649240

Is it griefing if I roll a 17 year old security officer and arrest the bartender when he sells me alchol?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #649252

chocolate_bickie wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:56 am Is it griefing if I roll a 17 year old security officer and arrest the bartender when he sells me alchol?
As long as you do it in a funny way instead of a shitty way, this is what we call in the business "Based as fuck"
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
XII3912
Byond Username: EMX55

Post by XII3912 » #649315

Minimum age will soon be 45
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #649376

I think its funny that this is basically the reverse problem of the 900 year old lolli vampire.

"My blob of pixels has the number 17 next to it instead of 80".
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #649427

CPTANT wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:08 am I think its funny that this is basically the reverse problem of the 900 year old lolli vampire.

"My blob of pixels has the number 17 next to it instead of 80".
Kind of hilarious honestly. Who cares. It’s not an ERP server just ban the people that do cringe naked 15 year old catgirl RP and call it a day. Unironically agree with oranges take on it.
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #649676

The various moral panics over nothing this server has gone through as it seeks to become more and more sanitised according to some needless mainstream ideal is truly retarded to see.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #649725

Your point probably would find more resonance if you didn't simultaneously get yourself banned on purpose calling out jews and what not and then acting like we're 9 year olds and can't understand context or implications. Because yes, there is some serious sanitising going on that in some parts I disagree with, and I'd love to say my piece to that. I also understand though, that doing it like hippie station where there is no regulation whatsoever, will also end us like hippie, where the server closes down due to nobody playing on it anymore, because they all got sick of eachother being massive assholes.

So I'm all for giving this discussion a shot, just not like this.

As for the poll, the overwhelming majority that voted here favors the idea, which is a pretty strong signal to me. Unfortunately, the ability to change that is exclusively within the coder's hands. The coders, who have no issues removing long established cornerstones of the game and otherwise force dysfunctional and untested systems onto the players, have communicated that they are not willing to remove this age and that they want to keep their lollis and freaks. So for everyone else, too bad!

With closing regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information