List of all of the old half baked mechanics and systems I can think of that are still in the game

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

List of all of the old half baked mechanics and systems I can think of that are still in the game

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650537

Most of these feel useable but unfinished. In need of further reworking/polish. For all of these I can point to at least one quirk or oddity that could make anyone say "hey that probably shouldn't work like that."

Gunpoint
Skills
Stamina (!!) post #43966
Round start Prisoners
Progression traitors
Cytobiology
Post rework maint drones
Addiction
Wounds (arguably)
Mood
Caltrops
Bloodstains (on clothing)
Butchering
Junkfood
Multi Z-Level interaction
Monkeys (post being turned into a human subtype)
Stun resistance (more so never updated rather than half baked)
Chemical names
PH system (buffers specifically)
Cult ghosts
Scars
Firing pins (mechanically fine and balanced, just has a lot of odd quirks)
Body temperature
Space suit temp regulation
Nightmare
Golems
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Itseasytosee2me

Re: List of all of the old half baked mechanics and systems I can think of that are still in the game

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650542

Forgot to add bar robots
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Re: List of all of the old half baked mechanics and systems I can think of that are still in the game

Post by nianjiilical » #650544

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 amProgression traitors
theres a feedback thread up, i wouldnt be surprised if they eventually get tweaks based on it
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 amCytobiology
im not sure if cytobiology is included in it but theres a hard freeze on xenobio additions until slimes get reworked
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 amPost rework maint drones
its hard to find things to add to them that the maintainers will allow
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 amCult ghosts
cult as a whole is in a weird place where a lot of coders/maintainers seem dissatisfied with it but it probably needs a full scale rework and thats a lot of effort nobodys been able to put in yet
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 amGolems
pretty sure theres a freeze on adding new golems too and maintainers want them simplified a bit
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 amForgot to add bar robots
i vaguely remember there being discussions that coders werent really happy with bar robots as they are but dont want to strip the singleplayer content out of chef/bartender without an actual good replacement

i do agree that theres a lot of things that could use some love but theres only so much manpower to go around

(correct me if im wrong on any of these re: maintainer/coder opinions)
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650545

nianjiilical wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:31 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 amPost rework maint drones
its hard to find things to add to them that the maintainers will allow
My biggest complaint is lack of internal storage making it impossible to repair things on site you don't have all the pieces too. The not being able to interact with anything other than a (very limited) whitelisted selection of items and being unable to interact with any items at all in the proximity of another person is pretty clunky too, not unsalvageable as a concept though
pretty sure theres a freeze on adding new golems too and maintainers want them simplified a bit
I don't want more golems. I think alot of mechanics that apply to humans, mood, hunger, critical condition, should be cut from golems and if need be, replaced with a simpler but similar system that applies to them.
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 amProgression traitors
theres a feedback thread up, i wouldnt be surprised if they eventually get tweaks based on it
lol
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #650553

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:46 am
My biggest complaint is lack of internal storage making it impossible to repair things on site you don't have all the pieces too. The not being able to interact with anything other than a (very limited) whitelisted selection of items and being unable to interact with any items at all in the proximity of another person is pretty clunky too, not unsalvageable as a concept though
You can carry two stacks and drag a third behind you, how easy do you want drones to be?
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #650605

IMO, regarding round-start prisoners, the only change they need is an automatic security record that lists a permable offense - Murder, grand theft, etc. It's really dumb whenever I ask them "Well what are you in the prison for?" and they just say some dumb shit like "Oh I just started there.".

I mean its LRP Sybil so what can you do, but still, I feel like that would be a pretty simple RP fix for them.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #650610

What makes golems too complicated? They always seemed pretty simple to me.
mindstormy
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Mindstormy

Post by mindstormy » #650613

Bar robots are great! They even have some fun multi-department uses. Did you know you can send them down disposals chutes and use them to super power the sm?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #650626

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 am Cytobiology
The mobs just need to be more useful, and shifted away from its current scavenger hunt + chemical soup balance. (Because it makes it more like a botany/chemist job then scientist)

Although last PR that tried to add more useful mobs got blocked because Oranges wants to rip the bandage off and have it kill off golden slimes, and the cytology author didnt want to do that.
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #650676

Can you still use a fork to eat omelettes and only omelettes
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #650724

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:12 pm IMO, regarding round-start prisoners, the only change they need is an automatic security record that lists a permable offense - Murder, grand theft, etc. It's really dumb whenever I ask them "Well what are you in the prison for?" and they just say some dumb shit like "Oh I just started there.".

I mean its LRP Sybil so what can you do, but still, I feel like that would be a pretty simple RP fix for them.
Done
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/69446
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #650737

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:31 am Body temperature
Space suit temp regulation
I have wanted to rework these for 2 years now. I wish I had more time.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #650755

Armhulen wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:44 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:12 pm IMO, regarding round-start prisoners, the only change they need is an automatic security record that lists a permable offense - Murder, grand theft, etc. It's really dumb whenever I ask them "Well what are you in the prison for?" and they just say some dumb shit like "Oh I just started there.".

Done
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/69446
Great, good job, thank you.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #650771

What makes Stamina half-baked do you think?
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #650790

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:59 am What makes Stamina half-baked do you think?
Many old stamina based effects were implemented when stamina regen was a factor. Stamina coming back all at once feels odd and unpolished. I imagine explaining this to a new player:

Old player: "So you can take stamina damage, it doesn't effect very much except unarmed attacks chance to hit and maybe a few other things"
New guy: "So what's the point of it?"
Old player: "It functions mostly as a second health bar for non-lethal weaponry, and also applies slowdown to you the more you have, when it gets to 100 you get stunned for a while"
New guy: "So does the stun go away when you recover all of your stamina"
Old player: "Kind of, actually going into stamina crit gives you an extra 20 or something stamina damage and if you can drop below 100 stamina damage you get out of it"
New guy: "So are there any ways to regen stamina faster?"
Old player: "Yeah you can take certain chemicals that give you a flat passive stamina regeneration"
New guy: "So it boosts your natural stamina regen allowing you to get out of stamcrit faster?"
Old player: "There is no natural stamina regen. All of your stamina damage just goes away after an arbitrary amount of time after you haven't taken any stamina damage. Its not related to how much stamina damage you have either, unless you are in stamcrit, and it fast enough that it restores all of your stamina before stamina regen chems could pull you out of it"
New guy "what's the point of stamina regen chems if your natural regeneration is faster and brings you to full?"
Old player: "They can help you survive an extra disabler shot, but if enough hit that would normally knock you down you would still be slowed to the point where there is no chance of escaping."
New guy: "Seems like two incompatible systems mashed together rather than one, coherent systems"
Old player: "Spot on"
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #650796

Another one worth mentioning is Surgery Pain.

Does nothing except make Medbay loud, and you can't even quieten it by using numbing chems like Morphine or Miner's Salve.
CursedBirb
Byond Username: Cursed Birb

Post by CursedBirb » #650859

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:19 pm Another one worth mentioning is Surgery Pain.

Does nothing except make Medbay loud, and you can't even quieten it by using numbing chems like Morphine or Miner's Salve.
This one I'm pretty sure some tried to do recently. Check github there should be still pr of it