How do you feel about Space Station 13 these days?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

How do you feel about Space Station 13 these days?

Post by BONERMASTER » #651505

When you first stumbled your way in here, it felt like discovering a new world: everything was a novelty, the options seemed limitless, and with so many job roles to explore, you always wanted to come back for more. I think that experience is pretty universal.

Now, however, pretty much all of you here are now grizzled veterans. You've seen it all, you know the routine, perhaps you even took to coding and furthering the game yourself. Either way, that initial, almost magical novelty, dissipated quite a while ago, it has for me at least.

So I am wondering, how you all feel about this game now. What do you do these days? Why do you keep coming back to it? And do you still have fun with it?

With curious regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Re: How do you feel about Space Station 13 these days?

Post by toemas » #651513

most rounds are pretty boring/terrible and feel like a waste of time but every now and then something really great will happen that makes it worth it
im still enjoying the game but not as much as i did before, feels like people were more creative/fun to play with like two years ago but maybe im just looking back thru rose-colored glasses
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #651514

the magic came back when people started using those black smoke grenades

the terror was real
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #651517

It used to be like crack cocaine, but now its more like ketamine
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #651523

I'm one of those strange cases in which I don't get bored of just fooling around with game mechanics by myself (Deranged Campbell enjoyer). That being said,
It seems the ideal of infinite player retention through the prioritization of 'infinitely versatile' RP experiences over inferred conflicts (kill objectives) and even emergent ones (scarcity of supplies) has failed. RP can't happen without players who want to RP, and just because rounds are less chaotic and more vacuous doesn't mean players will fill that space with RP.
It seems to be common belief that gameplay can never inform RP, when in fact its crucial to making stories with rational characters. Fighting to the death after escalating an argument about some trivial bs like the clown's shoes will always be dry compared to the conversations occurring in one of the last breathable rooms of a newly derelict SS13.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #651530

Even after all the magic disappears there is still magic you find every so often or a unique RP moment that makes things funny and fun

Majority of the time though it’s sort of fun just playing a game because you’re super familiar with it. You know what sorta things to do as any given job and you have a good read of the station from so many rounds so it’s fun to just let it play out and do the stuff you’d normally do

Plus the game always needs the older players to pass the info and traditions on to the new players
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #651532

I felt like a mad scientist discovering new ways to become a super hero and prevent the even cooler bad guys from hurting me

Now I feel like i've done it all, and what was cool no matter how many times you've done it (rng polymorph) has been made into a rarity.

Short story is im burnt out and waiting for genetics to get new cool useful mutations.
► Show Spoiler
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #651541

I'm having fun, but I miss all my friends. They're long gone. Other servers or just not playing anymore. It's pretty sad, honestly.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #651545

BONERMASTER wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:58 pm When you first stumbled your way in here, it felt like discovering a new world: everything was a novelty, the options seemed limitless, and with so many job roles to explore, you always wanted to come back for more. I think that experience is pretty universal.

Now, however, pretty much all of you here are now grizzled veterans. You've seen it all, you know the routine, perhaps you even took to coding and furthering the game yourself. Either way, that initial, almost magical novelty, dissipated quite a while ago, it has for me at least.

So I am wondering, how you all feel about this game now. What do you do these days? Why do you keep coming back to it? And do you still have fun with it?

With curious regards
-BONERMASTER
This is why I'm constantly hopping between servers. Sticking to just one is a death sentence of boredom and burn out waiting to happen, and robbing yourself of possible enjoyment.
Hugs
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #651548

I'm still endlessly trying to get better at it, but I don't spend enough time playing to get good enough to play in a "competitive" fashion. I've found that RP, lore writing and administration have helped fill the voids that I haven't been able to fill with, well, actual gameplay skill. My work in those regards has been very fulfilling, and that those with the temperament and talent(?) necessary to do so should pursue it if they want to reduce their burnout or increase their satisfaction. That's just my two cents, though.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #651567

I've found that going around servers helps me get some of that good, old magic. I played Goon again just to give it a try once more, and it felt refreshing to return there after so long; though I miss some gimmicks and round events that I'll probably not see again.

Playing on servers with wildly different gameplay mechanics makes you feel clueless and like a wandering spaceman, which is kind of the magic of ss13, so that's cool.

As for burnout, I figured that alternating between playing and administrating helps a LOT, as well as running around servers (even if inside tg). Having played for so many hours, sometimes it's hard to come up with a cool, new idea for a round and it sucks when you find yourself bored, without knowing what to do; and that's when RP comes in. Roleplaying brings unforeseen paths created by the collective imagination of everyone that decides to think "Yeah... If I were this person, I'd prob say/do this" and it creates so many wonderful stories that last for so long. Some people think Terry is just NRP, but there are so many players that create awesome stories from scratch. Sometimes walking up to someone with a rubber duck and saying "Quack" as you squeeze it is enough to create a fun, niche story.

To answer BONERMASTER's question, I honestly don't come by THAT often. There are days when I'd rather play other stuff with my friends, and that's alright. When I do join tg, though, I do it because I'm looking forward to creating/seeing a new story (or because my game activity has been shitty lately). If I am playing, I will either play as an MD for the gaming; or as a more gimmick job, such as Psychologist or Curator. I like to RP with random people around me, even if it's silly, stupid, goofy shit. It doesn't matter, it's just a videogame; no one's gonna sue me for not roleplaying hard or well enough, it's for fun! :)
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
BlevRuz
Byond Username: BlevRuz

Post by BlevRuz » #651801

dont have the time to play as much recently so its mostly speedrunning idiotic circuit designs before shenanigans take over. it's fun when i do have the time for it!
plays as Argon CVI, Sleigherburgo D'Fuckreby and Dr Hambold P. Qumer, PhD. on terry and manuel
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #651826

It's full of trash.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #651836

Age has degraded old and important elements, but none are without repair.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later