Dreary Peanut Thread (NAME POLICY EDITION)

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Dreary Peanut Thread (NAME POLICY EDITION)

Post by iwishforducks » #653356

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32542

Dreary Doom = BREAKS NAME POLICY
Dendy Doom = Okay

this just seems like bullying, really
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Re: Dreary Peanut Thread (NAME POLICY EDITION)

Post by Drag » #653551

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:21 am
Drag wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:47 am
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:54 am
Drag wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:39 am I wish we had an actual naming policy if we're gonna bother trying to enforce it at all. Rather than what we have which is "if an admin thinks your name is stupid you have to change it." If it was ACTUALLY up to me a lot of y'all would need to go touch grass and think of a better name.
i disagree with your take (and i think its bad) because youve in the past thought that soup wasnt a good moth name (it is)
Soup is a bad moth name and I will continue to think this until there is an actual policy that encourages names like this
i love the idea that moth names are nicknames or given names because their real moth names are completely incomprehensible

soup, in my eyes, is one of the best moth names because of this

i think people also forget that we give people nicknames all the time in real life and actually go by them over their real names
See I can get behind this, I hate it when its just "Well Im a moth so I can"
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #653556

Drag wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:16 am
iwishforducks wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:21 am
Drag wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:47 am
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:54 am
Drag wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:39 am I wish we had an actual naming policy if we're gonna bother trying to enforce it at all. Rather than what we have which is "if an admin thinks your name is stupid you have to change it." If it was ACTUALLY up to me a lot of y'all would need to go touch grass and think of a better name.
i disagree with your take (and i think its bad) because youve in the past thought that soup wasnt a good moth name (it is)
Soup is a bad moth name and I will continue to think this until there is an actual policy that encourages names like this
i love the idea that moth names are nicknames or given names because their real moth names are completely incomprehensible

soup, in my eyes, is one of the best moth names because of this

i think people also forget that we give people nicknames all the time in real life and actually go by them over their real names
See I can get behind this, I hate it when its just "Well Im a moth so I can"
Me on my way to go name myself Soup McLamp
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #653583

I went on Bee as a Moth named Soup for multiple rounds not too long ago. Everyone loved it and I heard not a peep of issue from anyone. This was in their enhanced roleplay environment.

Their naming guidelines are also pretty fantastic: https://wiki.beestation13.com/view/Naming_Guidelines
Hugs
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #653585

Paradise station names are terrible
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #653594

Misdoubtful wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:50 pm I went on Bee as a Moth named Soup for multiple rounds not too long ago. Everyone loved it and I heard not a peep of issue from anyone. This was in their enhanced roleplay environment.

Their naming guidelines are also pretty fantastic: https://wiki.beestation13.com/view/Naming_Guidelines
> Human: Normal human names, the kind that won’t raise an eyebrow if you chose to name your child.

Somehow I can see this being even more arbitrarily enforced than our current naming policy for humans, and would certainly wipe a lot of our silly pun names off the radar right?
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #653595

Misdoubtful wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:50 pm I went on Bee as a Moth named Soup for multiple rounds not too long ago. Everyone loved it and I heard not a peep of issue from anyone. This was in their enhanced roleplay environment.

> Names containing "Moth" or "Lamp" are not permitted.

Is it that simple? I don't believe this
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #653599

iamgoofball wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:48 pm what a useless ass headmin term of useless fucking middle managers, honestly, all we did was remove things from the codebase last term
Truly incredible how coders can just make the game worse by removing things and then and then blame it on the admins/players. Genuinely impressive level of mental gymnastics
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #653611

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:34 pm

> Human: Normal human names, the kind that won’t raise an eyebrow if you chose to name your child.

Somehow I can see this being even more arbitrarily enforced than our current naming policy for humans, and would certainly wipe a lot of our silly pun names off the radar right?
It would be devastating to our pun game

Other thoughts:
► Show Spoiler
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #653613

Toaster the moth says, "AI MILF!".
Hugs
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #653621

Policy-via-appeal, which Timber is doing here, is a pretty shitty experience for the player. I would way rather have a policy thread so a player doesnt have to go through an ordeal (and it is an ordeal) for something that may or may not be wrong

(Minor edit: by -> via to match Timber's wording)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #653641

This sure does have me wondering if I'll have to change my character's name after 5 years of playing them depending on how this goes. It's not particularly that different from Dreary's.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #653680

There should be proper nicknames so that way you have a legal (snooze boring) name and then if you want to have a more cutesy name that people see you as you have that option.

Or be evil and just add a way to change your "genetic" name ingame so that way every name policy is moot :-)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #653740

I don't understand why admins give themselves extra work by going after names and endless appeals over it when the name isn't even something juvenile but rather Doom.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #653753

what a disappointing outcome
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #653758

Should have picked the name Dr Dendy 'Dreary' Doom
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #653759

how did the headmins manage to fumble this what the fuck this was the slowest ball possible
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #653760

why can't we get a headmin term that gets anything done
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #653764

I was going to pack it for the next six months, but Timber actually rejected the headmin decision, and just accepted the appeal. That's an unexpected move, and it's bound to cause some infighting, I imagine.
Nevertheless, this headmin team is very dubious, so I'll just pack it anyway, but I'll check back in here every once in a while! See you (soon)!

With packing regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #653766

All that was really needed was "We don't think Timberpoes was wrong to ban the name at the time. Although we're not mindful to overturn this immediately, we also feel it's a valid enough name that could fit the setting. We'd like to encourage Timberpoes to re-assess their stance with this in mind."

All the other parts were a bit too grandstandy for me. I actually had to ping headmins on Discord to try and figure out what the ruling was because I couldn't fully understand why my rejection was upheld on first reading. I re-read it a few more times to grasp what was being said. What a load of waffle that headmin response had in it.

Appeals are always biased in favour of admins. We have a direct line to headmins, we generally know what to say and how to approach things better than players. We know the rules (supposedly). We know the policies (sometimes). We know admin team culture in enforcing them (usually). Unwritten rules (or we make our own unwritten rules as we go).

The headmin team's role is to protect the players from poor admin decisions, and the playerbase from poor player decisions. Part of that involves reading between the lines and looking at the objective merits of both sides regardless of the appeal content. Understanding that admin-bias in appeals and accounting for it is key.

Only in exceptional circumstances should a headmin team rule "the appeal has merit, but we don't like the way you appealed so we're rejecting it. Try again in 3-6 months."
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #653767

I appreciate that you chose to weigh the merit of this above all else regardless of the outcome, but this seems like a mess...
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugs
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #653768

I've always been wary of Rave as an admin because while he was fun on server, his ticket handling always rubbed me the wrong way. He cared more about tone than about what was actually happening. Frustrated because you're being griefed and open your ticket saying "(X) is being a cunt." and you get it silent closed. Repeatedly. Without any indication of what he actually wants from you.

I'm disappointed to see this come through in his headminning.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #653771

dude what the absolute ass blast of a headmin reply holy shit
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #653772

This is probably the first time in an appeal I can empathize with both the admin, and the player, but not the headmin decision.

What a rollercoaster. The only way this could get any better is if Rave decided he doesn't like Timberpoes's decision to accept the appeal, and forces the rejection. There's no way that would happen though, right? Right?

Also, for irony,
If this is how Rave acts the first time he gets to post a headmin decision I'd hate to see how he acts the second time it happens.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #653775

I'm not sure if the headmin response being preachy, rude, and overly-wordy was a joke? Like, the response is criticising the guy for being those things, so it's a joke right?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #653779

Tearling wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:44 pm The only way this could get any better is if Rave decided he doesn't like Timberpoes's decision to accept the appeal, and forces the rejection. There's no way that would happen though, right? Right?
HAH. HAHAHAH. HAHAHAHAHAHAH.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #653781

For reference to anyone late to the party, after the headmin response I reversed my stance and accepted the appeal despite my inital rejection and the headmins upholding my decision. That's what the deleted messages are about.

The part of the headmin response that mattered to me (the ruling on whether the name was okay or not) meant that I no longer needed to stand by my rejection.
... At its core "this character name seemed fitting for a wacky space sci-fi flick" [would work].
My thought process was based on it not being a name fitting for the setting. If that argument would work, then the basis for my rejection is certainly flawed and is so flimsy of a foundation to apply bare discretion that I didn't feel it was a just outcome.

If dendydoom appeals it again later on this term (Which the headmin suggested they could do as part of making them use "Dreary" as a nickname instead. What's the point of this other than to flex on the player? Were we making them re-appeal just so we could reject it again?) and simply leave the entire appeal blank, I would accept it today anyway on the basis of that one bit of the headmin response that was relevant to me.

However, the method in which I reversed my decision was act first first then tell the headmins what I'd done after. Beg forgiveness instead of permission and all that. I shoulder my full part of the responsibility for choosing to resolve it in this manner, which was procedurally unacceptable and looks to undermine the authority of the headmin team after giving a ruling.

And, of course, now I'm in very spicy water for it. And my reversal has been reversed anyway so it was a pretty pointless exercise in independent decision making on my part.

However, speaking personally? I was happy they had my back, but not happy that the outcome was that my decision was upheld when it's clear their reasoning provided good arguments against my decision.

There's no winning or losing in appeals. It's not about egos or right and wrong. They're just a process to ensure the rules are enforced correctly and fairly, and that a little common sense is applied where necessary. And I thought common sense could have applied here with me revisiting the appeal in light of all the information. Making a better decision with more information and context.

I thought the headmin team would be happy that the appeal was solved amicably between myself and dendydoom. That both sides were satisfied with the outcome in retrospect of the headmin ruling. That it was a final-final outcome a bunch of the community could agree with too. That's like everyone winning. I didn't think it would blow up into a such a stupid shitshow to actively enforce a status quo that is unwanted by all other parties.
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #653784

iamgoofball wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:35 am why can't we get a headmin term that gets anything done
Ya know a couple hours ago I was gonna snarkily respond to this about how "The headmins are too compassionate, considerate, and willing to compromise to pass through radical changes and that's why nothing gets done"
But.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #653786

I've never seen someone get fucked this hard by requesting headmin review in my life.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #653789

what the fuck
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #653792

Jackraxxus wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:49 pm
iamgoofball wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:35 am why can't we get a headmin term that gets anything done
Ya know a couple hours ago I was gonna snarkily respond to this about how "The headmins are too compassionate, considerate, and willing to compromise to pass through radical changes and that's why nothing gets done"
But.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
A finger curls on the monkey's paw.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #653794

This peanut rules
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #653795

lmao what the actual fuck "you used too many words we're taking your ability to disagree away"
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #653796

i cannot stress this enough

what the fuck did i just witness

this is easily the worst thing i have ever seen come out of tg administration

firstly, the name was completely fine
second, there was no reason for the appeal to be denied in the first place
third, there was no reason for timber to use the player as a way to push policy- we should never intentionally gut our decisions on appeals in favor of trying to establish "policy", because that's what policy discussion is all about
fourth, what the actual fuck was that headmin reply?
fifth, the terms of the appeal are completely fucking stupid. "dance for us monkey!" why does the player need to put "Dreary" in the middle of their name for a month just to be able to play as Dreary Doom? they were able to play as Dreary Doom for 100+ rounds and had no issue until timber stepped in

like, okay, i was an admin, i understand that there's a huge issue that when people appeal they type paragraphs upon paragraphs and expect you to reply to all of it. i get that. but the personal attacks against the player are completely uncalled for. they were baseless. completely pointless. and to extend that to a first time appealer? disappointing.

what a fucking ball drop.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #653797

Timberpoes wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:17 pm *struggling*
Perhaps this moment will be instructive in teaching you to be more wary of what you choose to enforce. You reversing your position in this matter not only revealed that deep down you disagree with your own judgement, but has also embarrassed your superiors that backed you. Now, it has turned into a proper embarrassment for the whole server. Not the brightest moment for TG, that's for sure. Best of success, I truly hope that you understood your error.

With parting regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #653798

BONERMASTER wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:44 pm Perhaps this moment will be instructive in teaching you to be more wary of what you choose to enforce. You reversing your position in this matter not only revealed that deep down you disagree with your own judgement, but has also embarrassed your superiors that backed you. Now, it has turned into a proper embarrassment for the whole server. Not the brightest moment for TG, that's for sure. Best of success, I truly hope that you understood your error.

With parting regards
-BONERMASTER
lol
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #653799

I know it's taboo and forbidden for me to post in here but Rave has seen fit to delete my post and lock the thread so I am without means of recourse.

I don't know where to begin or what to say. Nothing in any of the posts in my appeal were ever made to be insulting or unfairly critical of anyone or "self righteous" as Rave has seen fit to put it.

He has claimed that I have taken "pot shots" at him with my response yet I was merely responding to the specific contents of a post he made where he implied I was being histrionic, that I had a bad attitude, that I was demonstrating bad behaviour, that I was a problem player, and implied that I am difficult to deal with. Is any of that true? In all of my time playing I have never been spoken to for my behaviour. I play the game by the rules and when I feel that I disagree then I take the time and effort to communicate my argument respectfully in the appropriate channels because, until now, I have had faith that people who get into the headmin position are responsible enough to deliberate them with a modicum of impartiality. All I am guilty of is writing too much, which, fair enough, sorry for making you read a lot of words.

What did I even say that was so wrong to receive such pettiness in kind? Did I not grovel appropriately enough to appease his ego? Is that my responsibility? I didn't even ask for a headmin review in the first place, I said that I had made my argument with a headmin review in mind because I was already convinced that it was going to end up there. Timber asked for a headmin review because they felt they had made an application of the precedent fairly and wanted input from the headmins on what their opinion of this application of naming policy is. I would invite anyone to scour every inch of what I said and point out to me exactly where anything I said stepped over the line or was disrespectful. Every response I made was in reaction to a point that was being levied against me.

I'm honestly speechless, which is a new experience for me. Usually I'm capable of cranking out an essay on anything.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #653800

Even after we asked you to reduce your words down you're still going off with self-righteous verbiage and now you're taking pot shots at me.

I'm locking this, we don't want to read another essay from you.
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #653801

Nobody cares what I think, but this is a peanut thread so :honkman: :honk: :honk:

I maintain that naming policy is a crock of shit and is arbitrarily enforced at nearly complete random. The only naming policy we should have is "no names that are obviously just overt references to real prominent figures like actors, criminals and so on."

Generally I respect Timber but on this specific matter I think they're full of shit. Suffice to say there is no shortage of names out there on Manuel that have been active for similar lengths of time, or longer, and not had any action taken against them. This is just fucking with Dreary for reasons that are unclear to me and it shouldn't be happening.
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #653802

Aeri wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:57 pm Generally I respect Timber but on this specific matter I think they're full of shit. Suffice to say there is no shortage of names out there on Manuel that have been active for similar lengths of time, or longer, and not had any action taken against them. This is just fucking with Dreary for reasons that are unclear to me and it shouldn't be happening.
You know that timber attempted to change his position, but the headmin rejected it, right?
In this case, I believe it is not Timberpoes you should be criticizing, it is the headministration, or specifically Rave who worded the rejection.
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #653807

Tearling wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:11 pm
Aeri wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:57 pm Generally I respect Timber but on this specific matter I think they're full of shit. Suffice to say there is no shortage of names out there on Manuel that have been active for similar lengths of time, or longer, and not had any action taken against them. This is just fucking with Dreary for reasons that are unclear to me and it shouldn't be happening.
You know that timber attempted to change his position, but the headmin rejected it, right?
In this case, I believe it is not Timberpoes you should be criticizing, it is the headministration, or specifically Rave who worded the rejection.
I mean, Whoever
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #653808

I'm gonna go on a bit of a drunken rant here. So fuck it. I'm more than a little frustrated with the final approch, and I'm going to vocalise a few too many words why...

So I'm gonna write a wall, and tgstation is gonna pay for that wall. Trump would be proud.

I really enjoy the freedom to speak out more that comes with not being a headmin. I no longer have to bite my tongue for the benefit of not appearing disunified or whatever else. I'm just speaking as me.

And for reference, no I have nothing better to do on a Sunday night. I've had a good weekend and I've been with good company, so my spirits are high and my keyboard is loaded for bear.

I took the part of their headmin review I actually asked for and applied it, reassessing my own stance. Claiming headmin overlordship over the appeal just because I asked for them to review my decision is shortsighted when you consider the purpose of ban appeals in general. I think me reconsidering based on what the headmins said to end up with an outcome that everyone can support is one of the core purposes of our appeals process and should have just been left alone because everyone was happy at the end and that so rarely happens in appeals.

Honestly? There's no way this note will actually stand. I already removed the note when I accepted the appeal. It's gone. As far as I'm concerned, the appeal should be over now too. And I hope it gets resolved quickly.

I fully reserve the right to be wrong all the way up to the 11th hour and beyond while still having the ability to change my mind, even after the headmins have ruled to agree with my previous position, based on additional/new/previously unknown/hot off the press information.

In saying I was right, the headmins ironically said enough that I feel I was wrong to have denied the appeal. C'est la vie, thought I. Time to do right by the player and chew a little humble pie, thought I. I cited the headmins' own reasoning in me accepting the appeal after they supported me denying it. Because it's not about winning internet points. There's no point being right on a technicality when you're actually wrong in practice. To me, it's about being the best I can be as a person, as an admin, as anything.

All I asked was for the headmins to make a value call on the name. I understood a strong possibility that considering my use of discretion would interweave with naming policy in general because I know my decision had mixed support within the admin team.

I didn't expect they'd uphold my decision with a reason that's basically - the name could be valid, dendydoom's appeal was "histrionic" and they wrote too many words.

And on that specific point, I'm gonna really rant now...

I asked for them to review **my** decision and provide oversight over **my** use of discretion. I didn't ask them to review anything from dendydoom's part other than the validity of the name "Dreary Doom". The rest of that was just them having a go at a player for writing too many words.

"This is simply a case of whether the headmin team feels the name is acceptable or not by a mix of their own views and naming policy's current place on the servers" - I feel I made it pretty clear what I cared for from them in my opening post of the appeal.

Dendydoom is a good player. They appealed my dumbshit ruling. It's my fault they wrote so much because they knew exactly who they were appealing to: me. And I'm the one that escalated the appeal to the headmins, to provide oversight of my dumbshit decision making process. Which they did, but in a totally unexpected and, in some ways, not entirely wanted way.

So I have absolutely no interest in supporting the comments made in either headmin post towards dendydoom. Doubly so when I asked for the headmin review. It's not dendydoom's problem. It's my problem.

Those comments were absolutely uncalled for. I genuinely ask the current term takes that onboard as a collective when agreeing what draft responses to put out publicly in the future.

Sure, to me dendydoom's appeal felt like it was a bit dramatic - and I did say that. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with how they appealed or their approach to responding to me in their appeal. It was done in good faith and the only basis I originally rejected the appeal was standing by my own opinion of their name.

I'm going to get another cocktail. My cheeks are flush like a beetroot and I've got pins and needles in my face, and my eyes feel very warm, so it must be working.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #653809

overthrow the headmins

guillotine now
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #653811

Well, this is distressing. I don't think I've seen an appeal pivot this hard before, or an admins own opinion get discarded in an appeal they handled. Not only co-opting their appeal but also disregarding their final decision not on their process, but the original appeal. Boy, that's gonna be a critical hit to the morale of the team.

Maybe some of you admin folk should consider packing your bags.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #653812

Honestly, I'm getting serious fulpstation vibes from the headmin response on this appeal. "You disagree with us? You have a bad attitude." That sort of feel.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #653813

Listen ok I hate manuel players as much as the next guy.
Moving past that, did the headmins really just deny an appeal just cause they didn't like the look of the guy?
Like reading the post, it seems like they think the name was fine, so did they really deny it just cause dreary was a bit melodromatic and towerposted?
Listen man I know I talk about having people's backs but like brother.

Also dear everyone else, you guys are cocoposting again, don't cocopost. The manuelcord did it like a year back and it was fucking stupid. There's more then one headmin.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #653814

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 pm Also dear everyone else, you guys are cocoposting again, don't cocopost. The manuelcord did it like a year back and it was fucking stupid. There's more then one headmin.
All I see are 3 admins stood on eachothers' shoulders in a trenchcoat.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #653815

:wetfloorsign:
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #653816

Tearling

Post by Tearling » #653817

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 pm Moving past that, did the headmins really just deny an appeal just cause they didn't like the look of the guy?
Yes.
They also decided to overrule the admin decision (Timber decided to accept the appeal), meaning that everyone involved is now unhappy, including the player, and the admin. I would be surprised if the headmins are happy with the outcome of the situation, but I suppose if they are, at least a few people are happy as a result.

Also, here's a post of Raveradbury being overly dramatic and towerposting, the exact behavior he is criticizing the player for.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28804#p596004
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #653819

dendydoom wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:48 pm I know it's taboo and forbidden for me to post in here but Rave has seen fit to delete my post and lock the thread so I am without means of recourse.

I don't know where to begin or what to say. Nothing in any of the posts in my appeal were ever made to be insulting or unfairly critical of anyone or "self righteous" as Rave has seen fit to put it.

He has claimed that I have taken "pot shots" at him with my response yet I was merely responding to the specific contents of a post he made where he implied I was being histrionic, that I had a bad attitude, that I was demonstrating bad behaviour, that I was a problem player, and implied that I am difficult to deal with. Is any of that true? In all of my time playing I have never been spoken to for my behaviour. I play the game by the rules and when I feel that I disagree then I take the time and effort to communicate my argument respectfully in the appropriate channels because, until now, I have had faith that people who get into the headmin position are responsible enough to deliberate them with a modicum of impartiality. All I am guilty of is writing too much, which, fair enough, sorry for making you read a lot of words.

What did I even say that was so wrong to receive such pettiness in kind? Did I not grovel appropriately enough to appease his ego? Is that my responsibility? I didn't even ask for a headmin review in the first place, I said that I had made my argument with a headmin review in mind because I was already convinced that it was going to end up there. Timber asked for a headmin review because they felt they had made an application of the precedent fairly and wanted input from the headmins on what their opinion of this application of naming policy is. I would invite anyone to scour every inch of what I said and point out to me exactly where anything I said stepped over the line or was disrespectful. Every response I made was in reaction to a point that was being levied against me.

I'm honestly speechless, which is a new experience for me. Usually I'm capable of cranking out an essay on anything.
sorry, he deleted your post in your appeal?

file an admin complaint and contact MSO
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #653824

>at this time we are treating the turnover to headmins and subsequent ruling as a forfeit of overturning rights.

...I dont understand what this means