Static characters

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Static characters

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #654276

I can't understand how people can play the same character months on end and not have that feeling of "Oh, why am I still playing this asshole?" I can understand having a preferred race that someone doesn't deviate from, but you really don't feel the urge to change something? Even if you are the "This character is my super cool OC and I love them" type, would it not feel good to try your hand at making a new character, with a new identity? It's really fast and easy, and you can even use one of the character slots afforded to you if you want to keep the old character in your back pocket. If you aren't the kind of person who likes to lay a character with a personality, what's the aversion to a new coat of paint? New name, new hair, change up the skin-tone, and even sex if you are feeling spicy. What's not to like?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: Static characters

Post by Pandarsenic » #654278

This is going to be a really depressing answer but back in THE OLD DAYS OH FUCK MY HIP IS BROKEN HELP ME I CAN"T GET UP

I had a handful of characters I would roll between - one who did science and occasionally medical, one who did sec, AI/Cyborg, etc.

I don't do that these days because the average amount of RP on modern /tg/, even on MRP, is so much lower than 2014 servers that nobody really treats each other as specific characters with lasting, consistent interpersonal relationships, jobs, skillsets, preferred styles of antagonism on antag roles, etc., so I never reach that level of RP satiation where I feel like I'm (at least for the moment) satisfied on exploring a specific character. I'm lucky if I have more than five rounds in a month where it really feels like the choice of my character mattered, so why would I bother going into the character customization UI for a new look and coming up with a new name at all?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #654283

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:43 am I can't understand how people can play the same character months on end and not have that feeling of "Oh, why am I still playing this asshole?" I can understand having a preferred race that someone doesn't deviate from, but you really don't feel the urge to change something? Even if you are the "This character is my super cool OC and I love them" type, would it not feel good to try your hand at making a new character, with a new identity? It's really fast and easy, and you can even use one of the character slots afforded to you if you want to keep the old character in your back pocket. If you aren't the kind of person who likes to lay a character with a personality, what's the aversion to a new coat of paint? New name, new hair, change up the skin-tone, and even sex if you are feeling spicy. What's not to like?
no
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #654291

Too lazy to make a new character
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #654293

I'm the kind of psycho that uses the same character for everything.
Bluti Kabooti is in ff14, many Pokémon games, every single ss13 server I've played on, cyberpunk, skyrim, Fallout, you name it.
My excuse is that I'm not that creative
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #654295

i worked hard on my shitty pun
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #654296

I got rank 1 on the hardcore random character scoreboard and wanted to try something new.
Image Image
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #654299

I can't think of good catchy names so I stick with the okay name I made
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #654307

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:43 am I can't understand how people can play the same character months on end and not have that feeling of "Oh, why am I still playing this asshole?" I can understand having a preferred race that someone doesn't deviate from, but you really don't feel the urge to change something? Even if you are the "This character is my super cool OC and I love them" type, would it not feel good to try your hand at making a new character, with a new identity? It's really fast and easy, and you can even use one of the character slots afforded to you if you want to keep the old character in your back pocket. If you aren't the kind of person who likes to lay a character with a personality, what's the aversion to a new coat of paint? New name, new hair, change up the skin-tone, and even sex if you are feeling spicy. What's not to like?
i have like 8 character slots and each one is a different guy
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #654308

Oh god, someone help me, I can’t stop playing John Howard.

For the most part, the main reason why I am playing one character is because I want to keep things simple and work on one personality rather than multiple. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of other characters saved that would like to try, but, I’m not that creative nor willing. Sticking to a single person as the main spotlight is, sadly, what I do.

I’ll probably learn that characters are not that permanent (like what bay or aurora enforces) and I’ll get a new mix of characters. I’m not sure. I do want to suggest that /TG/ adds a thing to the editor that randomizes what saved character you play as. That would be pretty neat and it would be encouraging for people to create new characters.

The only thing that’s stopping me from getting John onto Paradise is because they have not the same hair code. Damn them and their classic codebase.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #654319

ive not changed my xbox live name in like 15 years
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #654321

Epicgamer545 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:59 pm I do want to suggest that /TG/ adds a thing to the editor that randomizes what saved character you play as. That would be pretty neat and it would be encouraging for people to create new characters.
No need, this exists: https://wheelofnames.com/
That's what I use, there you go.

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #654340

Also, who said I'm playing the same characters, and not just a development on the character in a more fleshed out way? The core themes are the same, but the actual presentation has changed a lot from when I started.

Nobody will know who I am at this point anyway, so who cares about changing. To most people, it is their first time meeting this character. (one of my characters is in the cat banner, and it wasn't my first and most reasonably well known because I wanted to own anyone trying to play the name guessing game for the banner, hoo haa)
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #654360

Remove the metagaming tool known as "static names"
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #654361

That would make me feel invisible!
► Show Spoiler
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #654404

I like that people connect my static to my ckey. I'd have to re-train people who I am
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #654408

Zybwivcz wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:46 pm Remove the metagaming tool known as "static names"
Make static banned for all depts, but static names are mandatory for sec.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #654449

People have legitimately spared my character's life or even let him go after being arrested/found out as a tot just because they recognize the static. I'm not entirely sure how that works but I'm not complaining. Sometimes people even stage jailbreaks for me.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #654461

MY OOMFIES
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #654487

If ss13 was more committed to whole paranoia roleplaying aspect, I'd say that enforced random names would be far better, especially if people would actually play their one and done characters distinctly from each other so that you wouldn't easily be able to meta who's controlling them. modern tg, though, just isn't that experience, for better or for worse
in my experience, at least on LRP, static names usually aren't playing a character, instead, they're just being stand ins for the player behind them.

massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #654508

Julia Toolbox is not a character, or story to be told, but a vector for the infliction of violence, just like I am.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #654682

massa wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:09 pm Julia Toolbox is not a character, or story to be told, but a vector for the infliction of violence, just like I am.
so based and very true my friend
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #654685

I play a static to feed back into the insane and frankly ridiculous idea that there's an admin metaclique.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #654686

Vekter wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:21 am I play a static to feed back into the insane and frankly ridiculous idea that there's an admin metaclique.
admins all get a big A above each others heads like nukies or revs so they know who to follow around at all times btw
Weston Echard on Sybil
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #654729

blackdav123 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:24 am
Vekter wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:21 am I play a static to feed back into the insane and frankly ridiculous idea that there's an admin metaclique.
admins all get a big A above each others heads like nukies or revs so they know who to follow around at all times btw
this is real i coded this in
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #655008

I play statics so that when people see Nutella or Ewe Kant typing in deadchat they know what to expect (immediate mental trauma)
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
HeyHey
Byond Username: Heyhey69

Post by HeyHey » #655009

I think it would be fun to do an event where everyone was hardcore random for a shift. You'd need to warn people because the last time an admin tried this half the crew round start killed themselves.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #655010

because well-meaning smooth brain static lizardman is all that keeps me from getting too spicy with my gameplay.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #655045

HeyHey wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:08 pm I think it would be fun to do an event where everyone was hardcore random for a shift. You'd need to warn people because the last time an admin tried this half the crew round start killed themselves.
I have seen admins press a random character button twice before and both rounds it fucked everyone's character preferences and everyone was pissed
Weston Echard on Sybil
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #655048

TheBibleMelts wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:09 pm because well-meaning smooth brain static lizardman is all that keeps me from getting too spicy with my gameplay.
Xemo screams.mp4
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo