Goofs war on wounds combat: Triple Threat Edition

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Goofs war on wounds combat: Triple Threat Edition

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656428

► Show Spoiler
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Goofs war on wounds combat: Triple Threat Edition

Post by Farquaar » #656429

Lethal weaponry increases paranoia and fun. A lack of access to lethal weapons makes every murder a boring, drawn-out shoving match.
► Show Spoiler
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #656431

I can't even bribe goof to keep elances since he doesn't play the game.
Image Image
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #656434

the time to kill has ever so slowly gone up over the years, when will toolboxes kill people in 3?
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #656437

great, how will we defend against antags now?
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #656439

Armed melee combat is boring already. It's itching for a rework.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #656441

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:43 pm Armed melee combat is boring already. It's itching for a rework.
It depends on the weapon. You can't honestly tell me that using a desword is boring.
It keeps getting worse!?
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #656443

The only way to engage into armed melee combat click on your opponent until they die, while you avoid being clicked on.

We see a little bit of complexity when people incorporated thrown weapons into their style, but I would like to see more on the core melee side of things.

Special attacks, weapon categories, universal blocking, counter attacks. Something to solve pixel hunting. Attacks of opportunity. Grappling while armed. Marking enemies.

And more controversially:
More RNG
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #656444

goofball is a codebase terrorist
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #656445

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:02 pm The only way to engage into armed melee combat click on your opponent until they die, while you avoid being clicked on.

We see a little bit of complexity when people incorporated thrown weapons into their style, but I would like to see more on the core melee side of things.

Special attacks, weapon categories, universal blocking, counter attacks. Something to solve pixel hunting. Attacks of opportunity. Grappling while armed. Marking enemies.

More RNG
I agree with most of these ideas, except for anything that involves truly random rng. If we want things to be more random I think it would be better to add a skill & stat system, like G.U.R.P.S. While a proper skill & stat system would be way out of scope for tg, relying on pure rng would make combat feel bad.
It keeps getting worse!?
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #656463

I honestly think the explosive lance should have a unique held icon. I don't hate the lance, but I'm not going to miss it either.

The butcher's cleaver is cool when a chef has it. Not so cool when every assistant has one because they can print it at the magical autolathe. Funny weapons like that should be more restricted, or have a more interesting and illicit way of obtaining them that isn't just printing them at the lathe.

I agree with making surgical tools bulky, but not because of combat. It would be nice if a person can carry engineering, medical, or security tools, but not all three at the same time. They all should be bulky really. I don't like it when people can handle absolutely every situation themselves because they are carrying 3 departments worth of gear in them. More cooperation should be needed. Toolbelts will be able to carry bulky tools, and tools that were already bulky would be huge.
Last edited by Turbonerd on Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #656464

I personally couldn't care less about lances and cleavers, and rarely see them being used lately anyway. But having the saw be a bulky item is stupid and affects doctors the most.

Imagine not being able to carry the saw in your toolbelt as a doctor, having to leave it in a table, or carry it in your hand all the time, just to make it easier for Joe Tider to come running and steal it from you.

blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #656468

Changing the size of items never effects validhunters, only antags. An innocent person does not give two shits if they are seen with three spears on them or a circular saw in both hands, but it immediately tells everyone "this person is dangerous" which is a terrible thing when you are trying to sneak around and commit evil.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #656472

Epicgamer545 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:09 pm great, how will we defend against antags now?
I'm sure oranges or goof is going to chime in here to say you shouldn't be able to, actually, and here's my 50 page design doc on Why That's A Good Thing
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #656473

Mice World wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:17 pm I agree with most of these ideas, except for anything that involves truly random rng. If we want things to be more random I think it would be better to add a skill & stat system, like G.U.R.P.S. While a proper skill & stat system would be way out of scope for tg, relying on pure rng would make combat feel bad.
Man, I gotta run a GURPS game set in SS13 one of these days
► Show Spoiler
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #656475

Farquaar wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:03 am
Mice World wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:17 pm I agree with most of these ideas, except for anything that involves truly random rng. If we want things to be more random I think it would be better to add a skill & stat system, like G.U.R.P.S. While a proper skill & stat system would be way out of scope for tg, relying on pure rng would make combat feel bad.
Man, I gotta run a GURPS game set in SS13 one of these days
Stars Without Number handles SS13 pretty well, having run my demo game for that system in an SS13 scenario. It's a sci-fi game that leans towards heroic and less crunch but it's still OSR.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #656476

Ziiro wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:10 am Stars Without Number handles SS13 pretty well, having run my demo game for that system in an SS13 scenario. It's a sci-fi game that leans towards heroic and less crunch but it's still OSR.
Interesting. I'll look into it.

If I ever do run it, I'd run it Paranoia-style with player-unique objectives and high mortality (but with a limited number of clones at Centcomm).
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #656488

As someone who ends up doing surgery because nobody else will in a fair number of rounds, thank GOD the saw change didn't get merged

I don't care about drills, I usually don't carry those because there's one (1) surgery with a drill involved, but I'd rather we have 2+ surgeries with the drill instead of a drill nerf.

I'm not convinced there's a problem with the cleaver printing and I won't be until we get an analysis of how often it happens. I doubt Goof will do this himself (no offense intended if you see this, it just doesn't seem like your MO) so I'll probably have to be the one to make sure it happens.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #656489

Elances have always been bullshit, and I'm happy to see them going.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #656550

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:02 pm The only way to engage into armed melee combat click on your opponent until they die, while you avoid being clicked on.

More RNG
Yeah honestly I agree. Let’s step it up from “avoid being clicked”.
Ziiro wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:01 am I'm sure oranges or goof is going to chime in here to say you shouldn't be able to, actually, and here's my 50 page design doc on Why That's A Good Thing
but… muh right to validhunt…
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #656552

Epicgamer545 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:09 pm great, how will we defend against antags now?
if you needed crew ei nath to fight antags you were a player relying on a crutch
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #656561

I actually really like the cleaver change. Why the hell were cleavers still mass producable?

Nobody has given a shit about the contraband wire on vendors/the autolathe since like 2015 anyway
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #656565

I liked elances, they were a one click Fuck You that I always found funny
the fact that some random guy with a grenade strapped to a stick is a threat no matter how geared up you are is something I've always appreciated

Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #656573

Yeah I did not expect to use the cleavers and elances anytime soon anyway. I did not see both in use in any round I attended and it was sorta justified. Cleavers were for chefs more than anything and elances were not used as much. The saw PR sucked a lot though, because if you use that logic, then why isn’t the chef’s knife bulky as well?

In all honesty overall indifferent on the two PR changes. But I really really want to see more changes to combat (even small tweaks would work) itself instead of balancing. I don’t see much problems to balance as of now.
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #656579

The e-lance one is fine because it was fairly easy to get for how strong it was. They were definitely funny, but bad for game balance.

The others are bad for reasons orange man already specified.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #656580

Wait I just actually went and read the PR and it says saws would still fit in medbelts. Yeah I got no issues with any of these then.

saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #656582

i have more issues with the chunky fingers preventing the use of batons pr
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656613

saprasam wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:44 pm i have more issues with the chunky fingers preventing the use of batons pr
What the fuck why is goof nerfing hulk

It literally is on the verge of uselessness. What good is buffed melee damage if you can't do shit else?

Just Laser the hulk!!!
► Show Spoiler
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #656623

Shadowflame909 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:43 am
saprasam wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:44 pm i have more issues with the chunky fingers preventing the use of batons pr
What the fuck why is goof nerfing hulk

It literally is on the verge of uselessness. What good is buffed melee damage if you can't do shit else?

Just Laser the hulk!!!
It's 20 force punches with omega wounds. They don't need a baton, they will probably win anyways in a melee situation. A baton won't save them from a ranged situation. All this does is remove NRP hulk gameplay (using a baton as a hulk just doesn't make sense), and encourage HRP hulk gameplay such as smashing things with your fists.
blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #656717

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/71325 goof's war on combat continues

(no he hasnt played in a month)
Weston Echard on Sybil
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #656718

blackdav123 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:24 am https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/71325 goof's war on combat continues

Nah, this is fine. Using hotkeys shouldn't let you bypass an internal cooldown like that, it's a consistency issue.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #656720

Vekter wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:18 am
blackdav123 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:24 am https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/71325 goof's war on combat continues

Nah, this is fine. Using hotkeys shouldn't let you bypass an internal cooldown like that, it's a consistency issue.
seems like a genuine skill issue to me. why do we have a built-in cooldown for clicking anyhow? it seems more like it's there to stop you from clicking an item right back into the inventory rather than to be applied to combat scenarios.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #656722

Awful PR.
Vekter wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:18 am Nah, this is fine. Using hotkeys shouldn't let you bypass an internal cooldown like that, it's a consistency issue.
According to goofball himself, there is no click cooldown for pulling things out of your inventory. Nothing was being bypassed, its not a consistency issue. This new cooldown is only going to be applied to quick equip hotkeys.
This also wont do anything to stop macro abuse; anything that quick equip keybinds can do, are almost certainly able to be emulated with a macro, if they really want to bypass the cooldown.
This is just another wierd combat nerf of his.
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #656724

Our combat is absolutely trash, and is just spaceman on steroids running around at incredible speeds trying to click each other. At least the cooldown with reduce the lightning speeds people can pull out their weapons and manage inventory.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #656732

This is such an odd change. On the one hand it seems like an overly-specific bandaid fix (If it's to stop cheaters why isnt there also a cooldown for actually mouse clicking since cheaters arent restricted to their mouse's actual onscreen movement) but on the other the idea that using hotkeys and full bags to bind your click to "draw stunbaton from bag + click in one go" isnt exploiting that needs to be removed is weird
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #656739

Turbonerd wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:39 am Our combat is absolutely trash, and is just spaceman on steroids running around at incredible speeds trying to click each other. At least the cooldown with reduce the lightning speeds people can pull out their weapons and manage inventory.
This opinion has always bugged the shit out of me because SS13 isn't a fucking combat simulator. It's a role-playing game. It's not supposed to have in-depth high-end PvP combat, it's supposed to be about doing your job on a hell-hole of a space station.

Too many people treat the game like it's AMOGUS 2.0 mixed with COD and it really needs to stop.
Spoiler:

toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #656755

Turbonerd wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:39 am Our combat is absolutely trash, and is just spaceman on steroids running around at incredible speeds trying to click each other. At least the cooldown with reduce the lightning speeds people can pull out their weapons and manage inventory.
How the fuck is reducing the fluidity and ease of control in combat going to improve it exactly? Are you brain damaged or something?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #656756

Vekter wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm Too many people treat the game like it's AMOGUS 2.0 mixed with COD and it really needs to stop.
The server's rules foster this. The only people who are responsible for this mentality are the admins and headmins. If this is occurring, you only have yourselves to blame, nobody else.

Moreso, just being competent with the games combat mechanics is not a character flaw. It's fine for you not to engage, because there is a lot more to this game than its silly combat, but claiming it is depthless is senseless.

It neglects that combat often can go hand in hand with horribly designed workplace hazards turned to lethal opportunistic violence against your fellow spaceman. While it often is just clicking people horizontal with the biggest stick you find, good combat is turning fights into a slapstick routine, which is hilarious. That's what makes it appealing to me. Improvised physical comedy. Which makes even fights I'm losing worth it.
ChristopherRobin
Byond Username: Christopher Robin

Post by ChristopherRobin » #656757

I use hotkeys to speed up construction of machines. Gonna be sad if this makes me wait half a second between putting each part in.
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #656758

Hopefully this fixes the issue with someone making a macro to spam throw glass shards at someone and insta gib someone. (Or whatever people use to do that)
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #656759

Shellton(Mario) wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:12 pm Hopefully this fixes the issue with someone making a macro to spam throw glass shards at someone and insta gib someone. (Or whatever people use to do that)
That got fixed a long time ago with throw cooldowns
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #656763

There was a hardcoded cooldown on how fast you could click things in the Old Days and it was BYOND awful. NEVER bring back anything like it PLEASE.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656764

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm Too many people treat the game like it's AMOGUS 2.0 mixed with COD and it really needs to stop.
The server's rules foster this. The only people who are responsible for this mentality are the admins and headmins. If this is occurring, you only have yourselves to blame, nobody else.

Moreso, just being competent with the games combat mechanics is not a character flaw. It's fine for you not to engage, because there is a lot more to this game than its silly combat, but claiming it is depthless is senseless.

It neglects that combat often can go hand in hand with horribly designed workplace hazards turned to lethal opportunistic violence against your fellow spaceman. While it often is just clicking people horizontal with the biggest stick you find, good combat is turning fights into a slapstick routine, which is hilarious. That's what makes it appealing to me. Improvised physical comedy. Which makes even fights I'm losing worth it.
I think giving certain common weapons a durability meter would make combats devolving like this more common.

You hit your toolbox on 100 things of course it broke and turned into a stack of metal rods!
► Show Spoiler
blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #656765

ChristopherRobin wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:02 pm I use hotkeys to speed up construction of machines. Gonna be sad if this makes me wait half a second between putting each part in.
This 100%. Having spent enough time to memorize the steps used in the common surgeries and using hotkeys allows surgery to not be a slog of wasting time waiting on click cooldowns and surgery steps. Its one of the mechanical things that separates skilled doctors from new ones.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656769

>fulp merged the hulk nerf

how am i going to get the jump on sec as a heretic now???
► Show Spoiler
blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #656770

Shadowflame909 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:09 am >fulp merged the hulk nerf

"""hulk nerf""" which is actually just another fuck you to insuls

insulated mutation is a requirement if you dont want your antag rounds ended instantly by a shocked door
Weston Echard on Sybil
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #656772

blackdav123 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:29 am

insulated mutation is a requirement if you dont want your antag rounds ended instantly by a shocked door
Just put on insuls every time you want to open a door :^)
► Show Spoiler
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #656773

I just burrow through the walls like a rodent.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #656779

He can't get away with this
He dared to remove a feature by fabled and legendary coder Kor
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #656781

blackdav123 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:29 am

guys, i think johnfulwillard really hates insuls... don’t know why i feel like it though
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)