The 1 issue I have with the chunky baton nerf

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

The 1 issue I have with the chunky baton nerf

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #656850

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/71285

I think this pr is overall good and its reasoning is sound and would be a W if it didnt nerf everything with chunky fingers. Insuls, abductors (Their baton needed to be fixed) golems etc. I think this is bad for the game and would prefer it if people want to nerf something they nerf it directly instead of impacting a whole bunch of shit.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Re: The 1 issue I have with the chunky baton nerf

Post by massa » #656851

nerf batong even more haha make it 3 hits i don't give a fuck fuck that shit
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656868

Shellton(Mario) wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:09 pm https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/71285

I think this pr is overall good and its reasoning is sound and would be a W if it didnt nerf everything with chunky fingers. Insuls, abductors (Their baton needed to be fixed) golems etc. I think this is bad for the game and would prefer it if people want to nerf something they nerf it directly instead of impacting a whole bunch of shit.
Facts sec be op
► Show Spoiler
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #656871

I think it being generalised to chunky fingers is a good move. Checking for hulk is a bit snowflakey. This doesn't really impact anyone that should have the batons though, except abductor, but no one had abductors in their mind.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #656880

I support it because I hate Hulk and this is clearly going to get Hulk nerfed when people notice how strong punching legs is
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #656881

But also someday people are going to have to address the elephant that is the baton itself and the longer it gets put off the more painful it's going to be
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #656882

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:01 am But also someday people are going to have to address the elephant that is the baton itself and the longer it gets put off the more painful it's going to be
The problem IMO isn't batons.

It's that any significant stun = death in a combat scenario. Many people push to resolve this issue by just reducing the power of stun weapons to the point to where they're not much more impactful than straight-up lethal weapons but it's not a good fix.

IMO a better way to fix the "baton problem" is make it so taking any significant damage will purge all stuns/knockdowns and provide brief immunity to them.

Perhaps it could be worked into the wounding system. It would need some changes, of course. The main issues with using the wound system being that armor would make it so you have to take significantly more damage before being unstunned making the armor often worse than nothing. Additionally, low damage weapons can realistically end up critting you before a wound occurs. In order for such a system to work, I think a kind "tier 0" wound would have to be added that occurs anytime you would have been wounded had you not been wearing armor or for lower wound rolls.

Then for a stun to be instant death, at least you have to cuff whoever you stun first. Could also combine with cuff adjustments, such as an increase to cuff time from 3 to 4 seconds. A bonus for sec to keep their cuff time at 3 seconds, either attached to a skill chip or their gloves. A reduction in the availability of cable cuffs, such as increasing the cost of crafting them to 30 coils and making them single use.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #656884

SkeletalElite wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:50 am
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:01 am But also someday people are going to have to address the elephant that is the baton itself and the longer it gets put off the more painful it's going to be

It's that any significant stun = death in a combat scenario. Many people push to resolve this issue by just reducing the power of stun weapons to the point to where they're not much more impactful than straight-up lethal weapons but it's not a good fix.

IMO a better way to fix the "baton problem" is make it so taking any significant damage will purge all stuns/knockdowns and provide brief immunity to them.

Perhaps it could be worked into the wounding system.
Definitely agree. If you kill the harm baton but not the stun baton, then stuns will be good for arresting. But in a life or death situation, it shouldn't be all that useful.

Should be added to the in game determination system that temporarily halts bloodloss.
► Show Spoiler
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #656889

I don't know why we don't remove the hulks ability to hold things.

Make it like the movie where transforming destriys all your clothes and gives you ham hands.

Seems to be the direction we are going anyway.
massa

Post by massa » #656890

chocolate_bickie wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:57 am Seems to be the direction we are going anyway.
oh be more dramatic
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #656891

Sort of an antag nerf to be honest. Antags need to be able to hack into and out of places quickly while doing crimes, and being able to use batons to defend themselves or stun the seccie trying to arrest them is important.
Spoiler:
Kassori
Byond Username: Kassori

Post by Kassori » #656892

As much as this PR reads as "ided" from a guy that only plays every month and a half then gets robusted...
There's multiple sets of combat gloves in tactical toolboxes, for free on the map, as well as the occasionally guerilla gloves from SWAT-suited space corpses. If not, its 1 TC for the gloves that still let you fight. There's also just genetics insulated, which is invisible and even the pickiest sec officer can't bug you about.

The reason of "hulk + baton is stupid as shit, try punching people with hulk for once" justifies a hulk interaction with batons, like breaking it, not nerfing anyone wearing insuls from being able to defend themselves non-lethally.

Golems don't need batons, they can just punch you in the face.
pfp by AspEv
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #656897

This should be moved to Coding Feedback if it were anywhere.
I get hulk + baton is stupid and it needs to be fixed, but I don't think insuls + baton should be in the cross fire.
I like the idea Skeletal hide, the determination system currently kinda sucks ass.
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #656899

I am imagining a world where batons deal 20 or 25 stamina damage and dont have a super long delay so you just fight with them as you would any other 20 damage weapon. The knockdown still makes them a super fuck-you so they outclass most other weapons in melee range but they are more on par with disablers rather than the current twohitting monster they are.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #656903

SkeletalElite wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:50 am

Perhaps it could be worked into the wounding system. It would need some changes, of course. The main issues with using the wound system being that armor would make it so you have to take significantly more damage before being unstunned making the armor often worse than nothing. Additionally, low damage weapons can realistically end up critting you before a wound occurs. In order for such a system to work, I think a kind "tier 0" wound would have to be added that occurs anytime you would have been wounded had you not been wearing armor or for lower wound rolls.

Then for a stun to be instant death, at least you have to cuff whoever you stun first. Could also combine with cuff adjustments, such as an increase to cuff time from 3 to 4 seconds. A bonus for sec to keep their cuff time at 3 seconds, either attached to a skill chip or their gloves. A reduction in the availability of cable cuffs, such as increasing the cost of crafting them to 30 coils and making them single use.
i would say hey coders jot down some notes from this guy but we all know why most coders can't post in here :shades:
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #656904

There are alot of good ideas in this thread, but I think the biggest underlying issue is our stamina system sucks.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
massa

Post by massa » #656914

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:55 pm There are alot of good ideas in this thread, but I think the biggest underlying issue is our stamina system sucks.
I think that it is good with some minor flaws that are major detriments, with adjustments/bandages, can be very improved. That guy had great ideas.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #656915

massa wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:41 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:55 pm There are alot of good ideas in this thread, but I think the biggest underlying issue is our stamina system sucks.
I think that it is good with some minor flaws that are major detriments, with adjustments/bandages, can be very improved. That guy had great ideas.
Stamina hasn't been touched in any significant way since hive mind, and even that was just a removal of regen in exchange for getting it all back at once.
Our stamina regen chems STILL haven't caught up with it either. The whole system needs an overhaul to be a cohesive mechanic.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #656971

fuck stun batons.
fuck secoffs who steal insulated gloves(double fuck secoffs who """confiscate""" insulated gloves don't use the shit you confiscate unless it's an emergency)
fuck tiders who kill beepsky roundstart every round.
fuck validhunting engineers.
fuck hulks.
simple as.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #656975

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:28 pm fuck hulks.
Oh yeah, totally, uh-huh, 100%, yup, mmhm, 100% agree there. Yup. Who wouldn't.
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from