DWARF FORTRESS or HOW I KILLED THE ELVEN BARD'S ELDEST SON EDITION PLAYERS CLUB THREAD

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

DWARF FORTRESS or HOW I KILLED THE ELVEN BARD'S ELDEST SON EDITION PLAYERS CLUB THREAD

Post by Kendrickorium » #658912

let's talk about dwarf fortress nerds

who's playing since the steam release?

Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Re: DWARF FORTRESS or HOW I KILLED THE ELVEN BARD'S ELDEST SON EDITION PLAYERS CLUB THREAD

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #658916

I want to play it, but thirty dollars is a steep asking price in my opinion. Might wait for it to go on sale. That being said, I've had a great experience with the game in the past, so I might reconsider.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: DWARF FORTRESS or HOW I KILLED THE ELVEN BARD'S ELDEST SON EDITION PLAYERS CLUB THREAD

Post by Farquaar » #658949

I don't have time right now but I do wonder: is the Steam version as easily modded as the standard version (i.e. edit a text file)? Will mods like Masterwork be compatible? If not, I might just save my money.
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #658950

elves.png
Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:32 pm I don't have time right now but I do wonder: is the Steam version as easily modded as the standard version (i.e. edit a text file)?
The first thing I did after downloading the game was remove aquifers. Took like thirty seconds and it was the same method as the free version, so.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #658955

Light aquifers are actually pretty manageable nowadays. You can do some cool stuff with them, but the amount of utility over a river or cavern pond is arguable.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #658956

My first mayor was digging in a long mineshaft and I discovered lava for the first time. He swiftly walled it up so that the lava would not reach the stairway. Unfortunately, he had walled himself in on the wrong side and quickly turned himself into molten meat.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #658967

no adventure mode?
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #658970

Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:32 pm I don't have time right now but I do wonder: is the Steam version as easily modded as the standard version (i.e. edit a text file)? Will mods like Masterwork be compatible? If not, I might just save my money.
all the ini files can still be edited, and mods from the workshop are coming out already
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #658971

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:09 pm no adventure mode?
not yet, its on the todo list though
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #658972

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:49 pm elves.png
Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:32 pm I don't have time right now but I do wonder: is the Steam version as easily modded as the standard version (i.e. edit a text file)?
The first thing I did after downloading the game was remove aquifers. Took like thirty seconds and it was the same method as the free version, so.
beautiful.

i built a wall around the depo to get them to starve to death but i forgot those fucks can just climb over
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #658978

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:49 pm The first thing I did after downloading the game was remove aquifers. Took like thirty seconds and it was the same method as the free version, so.
Cool
Also
>He removes aquifers
>He draws water from the river like an elf
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #658979

Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:55 pm >He removes aquifers
Listen. If it's being used to drown the elves, it's being drawn for a valid reason. At least i'm using dwarven mechanisms as opposed to BUCKETS.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659001

Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:55 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:49 pm The first thing I did after downloading the game was remove aquifers. Took like thirty seconds and it was the same method as the free version, so.
Cool
Also
>He removes aquifers
theres nothing wrong with removing aquifers, toady goes for realism much more than player convenience
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659002

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:58 pm
Farquaar wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:55 pm >He removes aquifers
Listen. If it's being used to drown the elves, it's being drawn for a valid reason. At least i'm using dwarven mechanisms as opposed to BUCKETS.
gonna give this beauty to my hammerer, surely nothing can go wrong, whats terrible about a hammerer with a super expensive artifact hammer???

now he can get back to work making buckets
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #659015

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:31 pm now he can get back to work making buckets
This post was written by filthy HUMAN hands.

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659019

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:45 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:31 pm now he can get back to work making buckets
you should be THANKING ME the only reason i MADE THIS THREAD was so that i dont have to keep SPAMMING YOU ON DISCORD ABOUT BUCKETS
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #659023

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:53 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:45 pm
you should be THANKING ME the only reason i MADE THIS THREAD was so that i dont have to keep SPAMMING YOU ON DISCORD ABOUT BUCKETS
I am going to start throwing minecarts filled with buckets into the magma sea just to make you suffer.

san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #659044

dwarf :)
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #659051

!DWARF!
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659142

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:51 am !DWARF!
san7890 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:55 amdwarf :)
hey fuck faces, contribute to the thread
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #659144

The /tg/ version of Dwarf Fortress is the first and only version I've ever played of said game. Don't judge.

Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #659146

I've put in 80 hours already

Large birds are fucking aggro as hell and incredibly dangerous. I've have two fortresses completely crippled by them because they'll swoop down and kick the shit out of multiple dwarfs before I even know what's going on
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #659160

Kendrickorium wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:45 pm
I already made a post about how I like light aquifers
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659163

Ziiro wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:59 pm I've put in 80 hours already

Large birds are fucking aggro as hell and incredibly dangerous. I've have two fortresses completely crippled by them because they'll swoop down and kick the shit out of multiple dwarfs before I even know what's going on
i think this might have something to do with how much decaying shit/corpses you have outside, also enemy difficulty. probably biome, too?
Agux909 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:52 pm The /tg/ version of Dwarf Fortress is the first and only version I've ever played of said game. Don't judge.
take your typical green shift, thats a normal game of dwarf fortress
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:45 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:45 pm
I already made a post about how I like light aquifers
apologies
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #659167

Kendrickorium wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:07 pm

i think this might have something to do with how much decaying shit/corpses you have outside, also enemy difficulty. probably biome, too?
Brand new fortress, like one or two seasons in, nothing rotting outside. All 6 giant cardinals went aggressive at once.

iirc I recall someone somewhere saying it was a bug (a la old carp) but I'm not sure. It's untamed wilds.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659214

Ziiro wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:46 pm

Brand new fortress, like one or two seasons in, nothing rotting outside. All 6 giant cardinals went aggressive at once.

iirc I recall someone somewhere saying it was a bug (a la old carp) but I'm not sure. It's untamed wilds.
ive definitely seen other people complain about the birds
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #659218

The keet population shall end.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #659223

Agux909 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:52 pm The /tg/ version of Dwarf Fortress is the first and only version I've ever played of said game. Don't judge.
Then I feel it'd get old for me real fast.

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659231

You can't commit genocide or crimes against humanity in a greenshift

Really though, DF isn't for everyone. It requires a special sort of concentrated autism to learn and enjoy.
► Show Spoiler
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #659273

The steam version is pretty awesome as someone who played ascii version a long time ago

Whilst the price might seem steep, bear in mind, you aren't buying the game for now, you are buying 20 years of the developers hard work and the NEXT 20 years+ of time they are going to put into it, this shit is their life's work
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #659280

Dwarf Fortress is just Rimworld but it’s a whole different system and there’s lots of z levels.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659282

Rimworld has always been the better game though. Dwarf fortress is just too unbalanced and the interface sucks.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659293

CPTANT wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:40 pm Rimworld has always been the better game though. Dwarf fortress is just too unbalanced and the interface sucks.
I'll take "Bad Takes" for 100, Alex
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #659296

CPTANT wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:40 pm Rimworld has always been the better game though. Dwarf fortress is just too unbalanced and the interface sucks.
Rimworld? Balanced? You my friend have never heard of a killbox.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659302

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:36 pm
Building a killbox in Rimworld actually requires some effort, in Dwarf Fortress you just pump in the lava and drain it again. Also Rimworld has mechanics to try and force you out of the killbox, such as sieges, droneships, sappers and infestations
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #659304

CPTANT wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:06 pm
Building a killbox in Rimworld actually requires some effort, in Dwarf Fortress you just pump in the lava and drain it again.
Oh yeah? Show me your effortless lava pump setup.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #659328

I've only played DF for about 5 hours, but surely dwarf fortress is more of a story teller than a game? Also Rimworld's combat system is really bad imo, while DF's isn't that great it's simulated really well.
It keeps getting worse!?
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #659349

lol

get out
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659369

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:24 pm
CPTANT wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:06 pm
Building a killbox in Rimworld actually requires some effort, in Dwarf Fortress you just pump in the lava and drain it again.
Oh yeah? Show me your effortless lava pump setup.
Real dwarfs use repeatable lava pistons.

But making a lava pump is actually pretty trivial if you just record a macro once.
trexter555
Byond Username: Trexter555

Post by trexter555 » #659371

i tried building a multi z level pit and it kept caving in and my miner died
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659404

trexter555 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:15 am i tried building a multi z level pit and it kept caving in and my miner died
Every good tunnel needs adequate structural support, lad. If your pit has a roof, you need to leave some rock walls or build some columns to hold it up.

Unrelated question: Is anyone else a weirdo like me who regularly builds above-ground fortresses? Bonus points if you give each dwarf family its own house.
► Show Spoiler
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #659413

Modding Dwarf Fortress is kind of a pain in the ass because of a lack of debug and testing tools, but it's pretty cool to see the results.

I made dark iron dwarves from WoW. (they have an entirely different sprite sheet because DF sprites are not grayscaled and are tied to skin colors)

Next up is how to make them bleed magma for comical reasons
Farquaar wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:59 pm
trexter555 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:15 am i tried building a multi z level pit and it kept caving in and my miner died
Every good tunnel needs adequate structural support, lad. If your pit has a roof, you need to leave some rock walls or build some columns to hold it up.

Unrelated question: Is anyone else a weirdo like me who regularly builds above-ground fortresses? Bonus points if you give each dwarf family its own house.
Generally I actually build the visitor's "Tavern" as the only exterior structure. Storytelling wise I think it's a cool idea that adventurers/travelers going through the area stop at a tavern that is built ontop of and is the only external sign of an entire dwarf city.

That said I feel like the resource use for floors/walls/etc is just not efficient enough to build external structures reasonably. Shit's hard.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659417

Ziiro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:35 pm That said I feel like the resource use for floors/walls/etc is just not efficient enough to build external structures reasonably. Shit's hard.
It feels that way at first, but the more you do it the easier it gets. You learn little tricks that allow you to minimize the amount of scaffolding you need and make resources go further.

If you want to maximize your resource/labour efficiency for above-ground structures, it's critical that you use blocks, for a number of reasons:
  1. For stone, you get 4 blocks for every rock you put in. It's a huge timesaver if you count the amount of time mining and hauling boulders takes.
  2. They reduce building time dramatically compared to raw mats, which has the unexpected effect of reducing micro when roofing or building upper floors.
  3. They're great XP for your novice masons/carpenters, since they don't have quality modifiers.
  4. They take up much less storage space than raw boulders/logs, as they fit in bins. Just have an manager order to always have a 50-100 blocks of your favourite material on hand and you'll always have a comfy stockpile tucked away.
  5. Blocks are much lighter than raw mats, reducing hauling time.
  6. Blocks have x1.6 the value of raw wood or rock. Since you can't engrave built walls, every little bit helps.
Last edited by Farquaar on Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #659418

You know I knew blocks were good but I didn't know they were that good. Usually I will actually create a workshop or two that is just create blocks infinitely, forever.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659428

Ziiro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:29 pm Usually I will actually create a workshop or two that is just create blocks infinitely, forever.
If you find yourself setting workshop jobs to repeat often, definitely learn to make use of the order manager. You'll save on a ton of micromanagement in the long run.
► Show Spoiler
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #659430

Farquaar wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:27 pm
Ziiro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:29 pm Usually I will actually create a workshop or two that is just create blocks infinitely, forever.
If you find yourself setting workshop jobs to repeat often, definitely learn to make use of the order manager. You'll save on a ton of micromanagement in the long run.
Oh I mean I know how to use the manager, however I'd most likely be setting the blocks to "If there are less than 1000, keep making them", but even then I'd rather have blocks than stone so it makes sense to keep it infinite.

Fun fact: I played about 50 hours of the steam release before a friend told me about the manager. I was doing everything manually.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659432

Ziiro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:33 pm Oh I mean I know how to use the manager, however I'd most likely be setting the blocks to "If there are less than 1000, keep making them", but even then I'd rather have blocks than stone so it makes sense to keep it infinite.
Fair. Depends on how much building you're doing and whether you use a lot of stone furniture.
Ziiro wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:33 pm Fun fact: I played about 50 hours of the steam release before a friend told me about the manager. I was doing everything manually.
Don't you worry bro. I played the game for years before I finally bothered to learn how useful the manager was.
► Show Spoiler