Why are Terry/Sybil/Basil and Manuel together?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Why are Terry/Sybil/Basil and Manuel together?

Post by CPTANT » #659395

I am honestly starting to see less and less sense in keeping 2 communities that are so fundamentally different in how they want to play the game together. Is there even overlap between Terry/Sybil/Basil players and manuel?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Re: Why are Terry/Sybil/Basil and Manuel together?

Post by Misdoubtful » #659396

Backend logistics and oversight. Also the silent majority and the vocal minority.

There are plenty of people that find reasons to enjoy both and enjoy having access to the combined resources/tools/administration/codebase that TG provides.

If someone didn't like what was offered from the 'regular and MRP servers' or at least one of them its not like they couldn't find another community/environment.
Hugs
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #659405

Dont understand this argument. What are you losing by a server existing with a different playstyle than you? Do you want manuel destroyed so you can have a 4th lrp server to split the playerbase even more so you can bitch more about how inactive Terrsybasil are? We have a server running a completely different codebase and no one bitches about the necessity of seperating TGMC from the community. Seems like an argument by a bunch of autismals mad people have fun different. "Oh the admins on manuel make bad decisions" so u want them to come to Terrsybasil and make bad decisions there too? Seriously man whats the DEALIO
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659407

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:03 pm Dont understand this argument. What are you losing by a server existing with a different playstyle than you? Do you want manuel destroyed so you can have a 4th lrp server to split the playerbase even more so you can bitch more about how inactive Terrsybasil are? We have a server running a completely different codebase and no one bitches about the necessity of seperating TGMC from the community. Seems like an argument by a bunch of autismals mad people have fun different. "Oh the admins on manuel make bad decisions" so u want them to come to Terrsybasil and make bad decisions there too? Seriously man whats the DEALIO
Manuel being on the same codebase is actually one of the problems, what works for lrp doesn't work for mrp. Manuel players are so different and everything we do has to be specially catered to them. I have no problem with TGMC because they don't pretend to be the same server. Manuel being the same server is basically a facade to begin with for a community that is already virtually completely split.

Also don't insult people in your comments sweetpops.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #659411

I'm not sure what feature or change you're complaining about, but skill issue. Features that don't work well on MRP also don't really work well on LRP.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #659412

CPTANT wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:31 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:03 pm Dont understand this argument. What are you losing by a server existing with a different playstyle than you? Do you want manuel destroyed so you can have a 4th lrp server to split the playerbase even more so you can bitch more about how inactive Terrsybasil are? We have a server running a completely different codebase and no one bitches about the necessity of seperating TGMC from the community. Seems like an argument by a bunch of autismals mad people have fun different. "Oh the admins on manuel make bad decisions" so u want them to come to Terrsybasil and make bad decisions there too? Seriously man whats the DEALIO
Manuel being on the same codebase is actually one of the problems, what works for lrp doesn't work for mrp. Manuel players are so different and everything we do has to be specially catered to them. I have no problem with TGMC because they don't pretend to be the same server. Manuel being the same server is basically a facade to begin with for a community that is already virtually completely split.

Also don't insult people in your comments sweetpops.
Name these features that are negatively impacting your wordlessly m1ing greyjumpsuited men then.

Are you going to bitch about balance changes the coders are making and blame manuel for it? Because coders have made shitty balance decisions since the dawn of fucking time before we even had a mrp server and they will continue to do so.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #659415

They do overlap with each other, actually.

My proof? Server wide events, crossover events, charity events, and that cool winter ball that happened a year ago. The communities do have some moments where they merge together and honestly they have some things in common; they all play TG and they all want to have fun. Don’t try to separate a seemingly different community from where it originates
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #659420

CPTANT wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:31 pm Manuel being on the same codebase is actually one of the problems, what works for lrp doesn't work for mrp. Manuel players are so different and everything we do has to be specially catered to them. I have no problem with TGMC because they don't pretend to be the same server. Manuel being the same server is basically a facade to begin with for a community that is already virtually completely split.
The coding team doesn't target a specific server, but a specific ideal. There's a reason we're one of the most ubiquitious SS13 codebases.

When merging a PR we're not thinking "what about Manuel?" or "what about Terry?" - We're just thinking "Does this move towards our goals?"

Let's be real. The average Sybil or Bagil player could probably go to Manuel and the only thing they'd notice is more nonhumans, fewer tiders and less team deathmatch. There's honestly not much difference beyond that.

Go play it. Your first reaction will be "wow, this is MRP?" and your second reaction will be "feels sorta like LRP".

At its best Manuel is classic "LRP plus" - Less tide, less murderbone, more opportunities to RP, but no real increase in RP quality when you find it.

At its worst it's presided over by some admins that birth a cactus when an antag so much as sneezes on someone without at least three objectives permitting them to do so.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #659421

An assertion made, neither with any evidence to back up that this "is a problem", or any proposal of what to do about it.

And to answer the only solid part of the OP, yes, there are players who play LRP and MRP.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #659422

Timberpoes wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:44 pm
CPTANT wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:31 pm Manuel being on the same codebase is actually one of the problems, what works for lrp doesn't work for mrp. Manuel players are so different and everything we do has to be specially catered to them. I have no problem with TGMC because they don't pretend to be the same server. Manuel being the same server is basically a facade to begin with for a community that is already virtually completely split.
The coding team doesn't target a specific server, but a specific ideal. There's a reason we're one of the most ubiquitious SS13 codebases.

When merging a PR we're not thinking "what about Manuel?" or "what about Terry?" - We're just thinking "Does this move towards our goals?"

Let's be real. The average Sybil or Bagil player could probably go to Manuel and the only thing they'd notice is more nonhumans, fewer tiders and less team deathmatch. There's honestly not much difference beyond that.

Go play it. Your first reaction will be "wow, this is MRP?" and your second reaction will be "feels sorta like LRP".

At its best Manuel is classic "LRP plus" - Less tide, less murderbone, more opportunities to RP, but no real increase in RP quality when you find it.

At its worst it's presided over by some admins that birth a cactus when an antag so much as sneezes on someone without at least three objectives permitting them to do so.
I agree with Timberpoes
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659425

iain0 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:48 pm An assertion made, neither with any evidence to back up that this "is a problem", or any proposal of what to do about it.

And to answer the only solid part of the OP, yes, there are players who play LRP and MRP.
I did not make an assertion, I asked a question.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #659427

CPTANT wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:05 pm
iain0 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:48 pm An assertion made, neither with any evidence to back up that this "is a problem", or any proposal of what to do about it.

I did not make an assertion, I asked a question.
See:
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #659436

Has yet to provide examples of how allegedly "coders catering to manuel" has negatively impacted his server of choice.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #659443

people can enjoy all playstyles tgstation servers provide
source: me
► Show Spoiler
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #659445

You are playing SS13. That's why they are the same. Isn't it obvious?
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #659447

Manuel rules as it is. A reason why I love Manuel is because of how fucking chaotic it is, if Manuel was more serious in its roleplay I'd probably stop playing it.
I also don't see the harm in keeping the lrp and mrp servers together, sometimes you want to be even more of a shitter than usual and you jump over and do a few rounds on sybil, besides the fact that the clash between mrp and lrp in events like April fools / Toolbox tournament is just fun to watch
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #659457

I agree with this post at this point. There is no reason to keep them with the other three servers. As we can see by NikNak's recent (amazing) graph. Manuel players desperately want to be "Horny" and commit "ERP". They should split and make their own erp server, it's quite simple really.

They've had the reputation as the horniest server for a long time and it's great to have it written down in statistics finally.

God bless the future of and independent Manuel -Roleplay server- 18+ Adult rp/Action server for mature rugged souls.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #659458

kieth4 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:20 pm I agree with this post at this point. There is no reason to keep them with the other three servers. As we can see by NikNak's recent (amazing) graph. Manuel players desperately want to be "Horny" and commit "ERP". They should split and make their own erp server, it's quite simple really.

They've had the reputation as the horniest server for a long time and it's great to have it written down in statistics finally.

God bless the future of and independent Manuel -Roleplay server- 18+ Adult rp/Action server for mature rugged souls.
containment server
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #659463

kieth4 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:20 pm I agree with this post at this point. There is no reason to keep them with the other three servers. As we can see by NikNak's recent (amazing) graph. Manuel players desperately want to be "Horny" and commit "ERP". They should split and make their own erp server, it's quite simple really.

If a Manuel ERP server was created I would just quit SS13 and end it all
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #659464

we HRP vorestation now
CoffeeDragon16
Byond Username: CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #659465

iirc bee tried seperating their mrp and lrp codebases and they stopped because 99% of the PRs just got ported over back and forth and it was a massive headache and made it impossible for any coding to get done
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659469

TheSmallBlue wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:10 pm Manuel rules as it is. A reason why I love Manuel is because of how fucking chaotic it is, if Manuel was more serious in its roleplay I'd probably stop playing it.
Is Manuel chaotic now? Last time I was on (~April) I got so fed up with how boring and hugboxy it was I decided to resume playing on Sybil for the first time in years.
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #659476

Farquaar wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:38 am
TheSmallBlue wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:10 pm Manuel rules as it is. A reason why I love Manuel is because of how fucking chaotic it is, if Manuel was more serious in its roleplay I'd probably stop playing it.
Is Manuel chaotic now? Last time I was on (~April) I got so fed up with how boring and hugboxy it was I decided to resume playing on Sybil for the first time in years.
it varies from round to round

had a round a few days ago where the captain rolled obsession and began a one man war against the mime and the security team, got kinda hectic
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659505

CoffeeDragon16 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:36 pm iirc bee tried seperating their mrp and lrp codebases and they stopped because 99% of the PRs just got ported over back and forth and it was a massive headache and made it impossible for any coding to get done
I'd actually be really interested in getting some insights in how things went with Bee and their whole multi server adventure.

I just remember it being a really rocky to get where they are now, which to me looks like a really great place with what they offer.
Hugs
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #659508

Genuinely don't see the issue here.
Manuel - It's literally a server in which you probably speak more than usual and explain your actions, whilst the Janitor does their job and people might bribe the lawyer. And people don't immediately zerg-rush the armoury over the slighest thing.
Hardly a huge change in the mechanics.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #659600

Why is it that every time I've seen you post in the last two weeks it's been the most awful takes possible
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659601

Vekter wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:37 pm Why is it that every time I've seen you post in the last two weeks it's been the most awful takes possible
Who are you talking to?
► Show Spoiler
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659603

Vekter wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:37 pm Why is it that every time I've seen you post in the last two weeks it's been the most awful takes possible
You were that annoyed by me saying admins shouldn't threaten people with bans for throwing a pie or that they shouldn't declare them horrible scum for not agreeing an an Ahelp?
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #659604

Farquaar wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:41 pm
Who are you talking to?
Good question. Seemed like he was addressing me, but I don't think I've had any 'most awful takes possible'. So I assume it's the OP.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659608

kayozz wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:31 pm
Who are you talking to?
Good question. Seemed like he was addressing me, but I don't think I've had any 'most awful takes possible'. So I assume it's the OP.
But even OP hasn't had "the worst takes possible". He just seems to be pretty mad about the recent pie-grief note appeal that literally everybody else thought was stupid too.
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #659612

Who are you talking to?
CPTANT.
CPTANT wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:52 pm You were that annoyed by me saying admins shouldn't threaten people with bans for throwing a pie or that they shouldn't declare them horrible scum for not agreeing an an Ahelp?
No, I'm annoyed that you're somehow so incensed that an admin made a ban about someone doing something silly that you felt the need to open two policy discussions about it, because god forbid an admin make a mistake.

Also, this take just fucking sucks and reeks of "I don't like Manuel so everyone who plays there shouldn't be in the community at all".
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659618

Vekter wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:51 pm
Who are you talking to?
CPTANT.
CPTANT wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:52 pm You were that annoyed by me saying admins shouldn't threaten people with bans for throwing a pie or that they shouldn't declare them horrible scum for not agreeing an an Ahelp?
No, I'm annoyed that you're somehow so incensed that an admin made a ban about someone doing something silly that you felt the need to open two policy discussions about it, because god forbid an admin make a mistake.
You seem supremely bitter about these things being actually discussed instead of setting a very dubious precedent. Such incidents are just triggers for trends that have been going on much longer in the way what constitutes grief gets stricter and stricter and this was the 3rd instance of admins dubiously labelling a conversation as hostile. And I did not make an admin complaint, I made a policy discussion so these things are clear for everyone.
Also, this take just fucking sucks and reeks of "I don't like Manuel so everyone who plays there shouldn't be in the community at all".
I just feel the mindset of the two communities is fundamentally different. It does not make sense to me to have things like policy discussion combined when there is little overlap left.
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #659622

You cant leave the tgstation polycule
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #659631

His takes were bad before this, you're just noticing now.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659632

RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:26 am
His takes were bad before this, you're just noticing now.
Yawn.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #659635

CPTANT wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:34 am CPTANT, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #659637

This is straight up dumb and will never happen. Who'll maintain the new codebase and community? You?

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #659638

Still havent answered my fucking question you conniving cum cretin
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #659662

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:00 am Still havent answered my fucking question you conniving cum cretin
Okay, that's the best insult I've heard this week.
Spoiler:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659678

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:00 am Still havent answered my fucking question you conniving cum cretin
Sweetpops, you lost the right to an answer when you started throwing insults.
Last edited by CPTANT on Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659679

Timberpoes wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:44 pm

I feel that heretic sacrificing has been made non lethal specifically to cater to mrp wishes, as gibbing was deemed murderboning.

Quote from the mrp heretic removal thread:
We've agreed to remove heretic from MRP for the time being due to numerous conflicts with the RP ruleset as outlined here, we may reconsider this if code changes occur that cause heretics to better mesh with the RP ruleset.
And not long after heretics were nerfed to not gib any more.

I also feel manual has so much specific policy that a subforum for it would be a good idea though.
Last edited by CPTANT on Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659680

RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:38 am
CPTANT wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:34 am CPTANT, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
Wordlessly blocking someone after just saying their takes are shit without explanation (More so to the supposed previous "shit takes" than this topic) is a rather disappointing response from a headmin. It does not give me confidence that a good faith effort is made to look at the topics presented in the policy discussion forum.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #659683

CPTANT wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:13 pm
So you have a controversial opinion and refuse to defend it when asked to clarify what you mean because you ghosted the thread when it turns out a lot of people think your stance is silly until vekter quoted you and you tried to change the subject. You're a chickenshit booger ass moist chair-having slob. I hope every game update steals more of your enjoyment from you.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #659685

Vekter wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:51 pm No, I'm annoyed that you're somehow so incensed that an admin made a ban about someone doing something silly that you felt the need to open two policy discussions about it, because god forbid an admin make a mistake.
To be fair, if he hadn't opened a policy thread on it the appealer never would've asked for headmin review. Which is pretty important when the note is as bad as this one was. They quite literally said they only wanted to reopen their appeal because of the recent discussion in the policythread.
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659687

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:27 pm
CPTANT wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:13 pm
So you have a controversial opinion and refuse to defend it when asked to clarify what you mean because you ghosted the thread when it turns out a lot of people think your stance is silly until vekter quoted you and you tried to change the subject. You're a chickenshit booger ass moist chair-having slob. I hope every game update steals more of your enjoyment from you.
Craig, why would I ever seriously engage with someone just randomly shit flinging like you?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659689

There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussion.

No one has to agree with each other or the OP.

But hot damn there is some seriously anti-social commentary floating around in here.

Some of y'all acting like this dude just danced on your mothers grave.
Hugs
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #659695

Misdoubtful wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:13 pm There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussion.

But hot damn there is some seriously anti-social commentary floating around in here.

Because there has been a series of useless penis polishers like this fucking mork who keep trying to get the server i like shut down because people there play differently than what they like, which is fucking yaoi ass baby shenanigans.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #659697

I rest safely knowing that it will not be happening for the very foreseeable future tbh. Even the Campbell ghost town is still floating around, and thats an actually dead server, if people are looking for an external indicator of the state of things. Its kind of a rinse and repeat of this question getting asked every few months and getting answered over and over it feels like.
Hugs
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659700

Misdoubtful wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:13 pm There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussion.

► Show Spoiler
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #659709

I have never done a Manuel, being a bagil-dweller. Would I get banned for doing a slipthrower in medical? (Flamethrower full of water vapor to make a slip 'n slide.)