Its been a while since I've seen a good plasma fire

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Its been a while since I've seen a good plasma fire

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #659910

Are they harder to do now? Has the art been lost? Or is it just flat out of style.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Re: Its been a while since I've seen a good plasma fire

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #659913

From what I've been seeing, plasma fires are just a annoyance, and aren't really deadly anymore, since people just use a plasma can and a welder. Most people wouldnt go for that 100% perfect plasma fire mix, cause that would take 2 hour of the round your doing to do it. Also some people see it as possible banbait (which it is on manuel) and are usually afraid of doing it. Its just annoying to do, you could be doing your objectives in that time.
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #659914

Plasma fires suck. I don't know why everyone holds them up as something good for antags to do, they just end the shift for everyone with no particular counterplay or interaction beyond running into an unaffected area like maintenance and waiting for shuttle.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #659916

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:51 am Are they harder to do now? Has the art been lost? Or is it just flat out of style.
nah i just haven't been atmos tech in a while
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #659917

plasma fires are just as easy and deadly as they've always been. you just connect the plasma supply to the distro and thats about as perfect as it can get
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #659918

toemas wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:06 am plasma fires are just as easy and deadly as they've always been. you just connect the plasma supply to the distro and thats about as perfect as it can get
Lol, amateur
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #659920

InfiniteGalaxies wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:19 am From what I've been seeing, plasma fires are just a annoyance, and aren't really deadly anymore, since people just use a plasma can and a welder. Most people wouldnt go for that 100% perfect plasma fire mix, cause that would take 2 hour of the round your doing to do it. Also some people see it as possible banbait (which it is on manuel) and are usually afraid of doing it. Its just annoying to do, you could be doing your objectives in that time.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:35 am Plasma fires suck. I don't know why everyone holds them up as something good for antags to do, they just end the shift for everyone with no particular counterplay or interaction beyond running into an unaffected area like maintenance and waiting for shuttle.
Honestly I think plasmafires are just an overhyped thing at this point.

Virology meanwhile can make a virus that spreads through air, touch, and even thinking about it (probably), hard stuns you, sets you on fire, and makes your flesh fall off in five seconds while you're in your coughing fit.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #659922

toemas wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:06 am plasma fires are just as easy and deadly as they've always been. you just connect the plasma supply to the distro and thats about as perfect as it can get
excuse me. you connect both the plasma and oxygen supplies
Spoiler:

Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #659924

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:24 am
InfiniteGalaxies wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:19 am From what I've been seeing, plasma fires are just a annoyance, and aren't really deadly anymore, since people just use a plasma can and a welder. Most people wouldnt go for that 100% perfect plasma fire mix, cause that would take 2 hour of the round your doing to do it. Also some people see it as possible banbait (which it is on manuel) and are usually afraid of doing it. Its just annoying to do, you could be doing your objectives in that time.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:35 am Plasma fires suck. I don't know why everyone holds them up as something good for antags to do, they just end the shift for everyone with no particular counterplay or interaction beyond running into an unaffected area like maintenance and waiting for shuttle.
Honestly I think plasmafires are just an overhyped thing at this point.

Virology meanwhile can make a virus that spreads through air, touch, and even thinking about it (probably), hard stuns you, sets you on fire, and makes your flesh fall off in five seconds while you're in your coughing fit.
Well yeah but virology at least has counterplay. First off, it doesn't deal damage to you instantly, usually you notice yourself coughing and sniffling and can head to medbay in time, due to viral stages. Viruses don't impact the entire station simultaneously, if you're in a semi-isolated area like the brig, you mostly likely wont get sick. and unlike a plasmafire, viruses can be fixed with a simple pill, and maybe an aiuri patch or something. Meanwhile for plasmafires, do you really expect your engineering team to repair 3 full departments, 5 sub-departments, and the entirety of the main halls after they get burnt to a crisp and all of the machinery destroyed?

Like, comparing the two, it's really obvious plasmafires are much, much more devastating.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #659932

I think a lot of atmospheric technicians get distracted by other content that they may try to experiment as an antagonist. A fair chunk of them likes bombing, and has probably become the new meta for the destruction of the station.

As for malfunctioning AIs not plasmaflooding, I am not quite sure. It's probably because the AIs are lame or something.
AnonymousForumUser
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by AnonymousForumUser » #659934

Yeah there's not much counterplay against the person who caused it. It ends up being something that just happens to you, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They can make for good stories, but it really depends on the circumstances. Trying to make your way to the escape shuttle on a burning station is usually pretty memorable. The hallways are already burning, you'll have to find another way out. Often you'll run into stragglers who are stuck as well. You're encouraged to stick together and make it out as a group, since they may have tools, access or medicine to help you escape alive. The more time passes the more the fire spreads. You open an airlock and it reveals an inferno on the other side. Maybe you have enough water in your extuingisher to make it to the other side, but if the next room is also on fire then you're done for. Maybe there's enough time to look for a safer route, if there even is one. Then somebody collapses from the heat. You can drag them with you or try to heal them, but this will slow you down. There's not much time until you collapse as well, but you wouldn't leave them behind would you? Those who are better equipped can look for survivors. If you're lucky they might find you. Though sometimes they bite off more than they can chew and end up in the same sinking ship as you.
(forum profile distorted to protect privacy)
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #659979

CPTANT wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:08 am Lol, amateur
Silence your tongue WHELP, my aeromancy knowledge is above your comprehension. of course theres other factors like changing air alarm settings and stuff, emptying the distro prior, mixing it with oxy, but its NEGLIGIBLE. if your going to put that much effort in you may as well flood a cooler gas, like freon or something
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #659981

kawoppi wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:03 am Yeah there's not much counterplay against the person who caused it. It ends up being something that just happens to you, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They can make for good stories, but it really depends on the circumstances. Trying to make your way to the escape shuttle on a burning station is usually pretty memorable. The hallways are already burning, you'll have to find another way out. Often you'll run into stragglers who are stuck as well. You're encouraged to stick together and make it out as a group, since they may have tools, access or medicine to help you escape alive. The more time passes the more the fire spreads. You open an airlock and it reveals an inferno on the other side. Maybe you have enough water in your extuingisher to make it to the other side, but if the next room is also on fire then you're done for. Maybe there's enough time to look for a safer route, if there even is one. Then somebody collapses from the heat. You can drag them with you or try to heal them, but this will slow you down. There's not much time until you collapse as well, but you wouldn't leave them behind would you? Those who are better equipped can look for survivors. If you're lucky they might find you. Though sometimes they bite off more than they can chew and end up in the same sinking ship as you.
That used to be true, and I think plasma fires used to be more of a strategic obstacle to overcome which elevated the importance of cooperation and really gave the idea that you were escaping a soon to be uninhabitable space husk, but that was when atmospherics moved slow enough to allow planning around it. Now with fastmos, there is no moving through the flames to save others hiding in the last habitable bubbles because the moment you open the door the entire room is flooded with hot plasma instead of how flames used to try sliding into the room. Plasma fires and plasma floods used to be two different scenarios as well. A single canister couldn't move more than 2 airlocks through the station without all the doors being bolted open, but now it's easy to get the ai lynched by dragging an air(plasma) canister through a few rooms with its gauge open and watching it spread across the station lightning fast. Then most plasma fires run out of oxygen in a few minutes leaving more hot, spicy air instead of burning infernos.
The system which this game was built around should not be this frustrating to control. I get gas moves fast and that in reality lighting a match in a room full of volatile gas will just ignite it all at once, but nobody finds that as fun as jumping in a room's disposal chute as walls of flames close in around you, or fighting through flames to enter a shuttle which wasn't made to match the inferno in escape after a paper airplane nudges the door.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #659985

I love plasmafires, and it’s a shame I haven’t seen any lately. A good one is able to turn a humble atmos sim into a deadly and chaotic game of survival.
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #659990

I too could use a good plasma fire.
Hugs
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #659991

For those in this thread who DON'T play in Manuel and DO roll antag: Be the change you want to see

Throw away those pesky lame progtot objectives for ants, forget you have an uplink and arm yourself with the station, make it your playground. Bring back the glory of Lord Plasflodh!! (??)

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #659994

Agux909 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:50 pm For those in this thread who DON'T play in Manuel and DO roll antag: Be the change you want to see

Throw away those pesky lame progtot objectives for ants, forget you have an uplink and arm yourself with the station, make it your playground. Bring back the glory of Lord Plasflodh!! (??)
I gas flood on Manuel with reckless abandon. I usually limit it to departmental floods though, just fun to setup and do.
Hugs
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #660001

Misdoubtful wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:56 pm
Agux909 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:50 pm For those in this thread who DON'T play in Manuel and DO roll antag: Be the change you want to see

I gas flood on Manuel with reckless abandon. I usually limit it to departmental floods though, just fun to setup and do.
I get you, I'm just... being careful as to not incite yet another Manuelcident before new year. You know, some players and admins seem to have gotten a liiiittle sensitive there lately.

I don't want anyone saying in their appeal "that guy in the forums inspired me to do it" when they get permabanned for "murderboning", after just plasflooding 2 rooms that only had their target and Ian in them.

That'd be so embarrassing, it wouldn't even be an epic flood!

RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #660026

Agux909 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:37 pm
Misdoubtful wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:56 pm

I get you, I'm just... being careful as to not incite yet another Manuelcident before new year. You know, some players and admins seem to have gotten a liiiittle sensitive there lately.

I don't want anyone saying in their appeal "that guy in the forums inspired me to do it" when they get permabanned for "murderboning", after just plasflooding 2 rooms that only had their target and Ian in them.

That'd be so embarrassing, it wouldn't even be an epic flood!
As a manual main, I'd honestly love to see more destructive stuff as finales and such. The only reason I didn't like the original version of the "bomb the station's weakpoint" objective was because it'd be in a main hallway, vent all the air out, then it'd be firelock hell with engineering somehow not able to fix it in 30 minutes. It wasn't exciting or interesting, it was just tedious.

A large enough plasma fire would justify calling the shuttle on its own if it really is bad enough.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #660029

The culture has changed where people don't think they're as cool anymore

Plus, on Manuel, they are like super-banned for some sad reason
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #660037

Bawhoppennn wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:33 am The culture has changed where people don't think they're as cool anymore

Plus, on Manuel, they are like super-banned for some sad reason
I think this is basically the reason. its been over a decade of plasma fires, people are over it.
I DO like seeing one every once in awhile these days, actually gives me a reason to put on my modsuit

I remember I had a lot of fun doing it on hippie while getting an admin to play johnny cash
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #660062

I think it's a combination of many factors, some named already and some not:

Manuel doesn't allow them (but it shoulddddd)
People don't think they're that interesting or cool (probably oversaturation?)
They're not that lethal (which is odd, given that they do stuff like burn your clothing off, in theory? Surely it isn't just stop-drop-roll that caused this. Maybe some sort of maint change? Or people just being more likely to know what to do to live?)
"Escape alive" objective is dead, so Traitors have no mechanical incentive to try to get the shuttle called instead of farming TCs for toys
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #660066

I dont think malf AI is as common as it used to be so that might contribute
Weston Echard on Sybil
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #660096

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:24 am Honestly I think plasmafires are just an overhyped thing at this point.

Why not both?
you can make a slap-dash virus that, although it won't kill like a carefully made one, will stunlock people and spread fast in ~5-10m
then you release the flood at the same time as the virus gets out
watch as the burning prevents people from getting to cure themselves, and the virus prevents people from getting the burning out

NBC weapons bans are actually a checklist anyway - if you're malf AI you can break all those """rules""" (read: get a high score) at the same time
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!