AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Naming Policy

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Naming Policy

Post by Timberpoes » #663057

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33203

I suspect the game they're trying to name their borg persona after is older than they are.

What other niche old indie games from eras past have people enjoyed?

[Edit] See also: The younger, hotter cousin of the above game which is superior in every way.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Naming Policy

Post by iwishforducks » #663058

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is a great cyborg name this is dumb
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663059

also permanent appearance ban ??????? for this ?????? holy shit you might as well never fucking play here again this is way worse than i thought

also
was uncooperative in tickets.
???????? they were literally just asking what would be an okay name what the fuck is this
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #663060

This is a really really really dumb ban.
Image Image
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #663061

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:49 pm also permanent appearance ban ??????? for this ?????? holy shit you might as well never fucking play here again this is way worse than i thought

also
???????? they were literally just asking what would be an okay name what the fuck is this
15:48:01: Reply from-dashatar: Like this "ÄĂĄÆ4"?
Yeah okay, Ducks. The entire ticket doesn't read like they're just shitposting and avoiding being serious.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663062

Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:03 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:49 pm also permanent appearance ban ??????? for this ?????? holy shit you might as well never fucking play here again this is way worse than i thought

also
Yeah okay, Ducks. The entire ticket doesn't read like they're just shitposting and avoiding being serious.
my professional opinion would be to unplug your router and come back in a day if you think that they were being aggressive

the player had only started playing again recently just before the year turned: it’s not a stretch to say that they were simply trying to learn what the lines of name rules were.
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663063

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:10 pm
Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:03 pm

also
my professional opinion would be to unplug your router and come back in a day if you think that they were being aggressive

the player had only started playing again recently just before the year turned: it’s not a stretch to say that they were simply trying to learn what the lines of name rules were.
I think you need to get off the internet, read the dictionary, then point out where I said they were being aggressive. Uncooperative does not mean aggressive. I did my part in trying to meet them half way, and I even offered solutions. They hit me with "ÄĂĄÆ4" in return. What the fuck ELSE am I supposed to think?
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663064

We require players to be 18 years of age or older to play on TG, I go into every ticket talking to people like they are at least 18 years of age. If they are responding to me in a way where I get the impression they're just shit posting I'm going to treat them like they are. If they didn't understand what I was talking about they should have said so and I would have taken the time to explain in depth, instead they ignored me and kept giving me shit posting answers.

We're ADULTS, if he didn't understand what I was talking about why isn't he trying to communicate that with me? He isn't communicating such even in the appeal.

You know why it's a perma appearance ban? Because I don't trust people who give me shit posting responses in an ahelp ticket to behave when I'm not looking. You know this shit just as well as I do, Ducks.

When they figure it out I will happily lift the appearance ban, other than the hour temp ban I have made no moves to prevent them from playing on the server. It's """permanent""" in the sense they need to show me they understand what is and isn't an acceptable name.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #663067

Alright, niche old indie games from eras past?

Sunless Sea is 8 years old in under two weeks, and is generally considered Fairly Niche. I am PERSONALLY going to count Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. Because before Rising Storm 2, it was a very obscure series being a (moderately) hyper-realistic WW2 shooter and I can count the number of people I've met outside of it who have ever played it on a single hand.

But if we wanna talk niche in terms of "Unique" rather than "Not Very Well Known", Audiosurf's a good one. Dungeonland was also pretty cool. It was a like, 1v4 multiplayer game where the solo player is the "Dungeonmaster" of Dungeonland, and it's their job to place traps and monsters throughout a level, while the four players are the adventurers trying to progress. It was a pretty unique concept imo, at least back in the day, and it was actually pretty fun.

Sanctum was pretty neat, too. It was like, an FPS Tower Defense game.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663068

Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:14 pm I think you need to get off the internet, read the dictionary, then point out where I said they were being aggressive.
sorry, i mistook your aggression as a response to aggression. now im truly lost as to why this ban is worthy of an iron fist if you don’t believe the player to be aggressive

witty replies aside:
They hit me with "ÄĂĄÆ4" in return. What the fuck ELSE am I supposed to think?
that they were responding to you saying “instead of just one letter all caps repeated multiple times”? :?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #663070

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

It makes me think of when you play like an MMO and run into someone named like, Stinky Hampster.
Hugs
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663071

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:45 pm
Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:14 pm I think you need to get off the internet, read the dictionary, then point out where I said they were being aggressive.
sorry, i mistook your aggression as a response to aggression. now im truly lost as to why this ban is worthy of an iron fist if you don’t believe the player to be aggressive

witty replies aside:
They hit me with "ÄĂĄÆ4" in return. What the fuck ELSE am I supposed to think?
that they were responding to you saying “instead of just one letter all caps repeated multiple times”? :?
Ducks I'm just convinced you can't read.
Im saying silicon as an example, just pick something thats a word to go with the letters so its an actual name instead of just one letter all caps multiple times.
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663072

I know reading is a dying art but if you're going to quote something you probably shouldn't cherry pick information like a shitty news outlet.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #663073

This is definitely some dumb teenager thinking they're funny by being intentionally obtuse.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663074

Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:22 pm I know reading is a dying art but if you're going to quote something you probably shouldn't cherry pick information like a shitty news outlet.
you offered a solution and then stated the problem. the player then offered their own solution to the problem. what more is there to it?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #663075

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:45 pm But if we wanna talk niche in terms of "Unique" rather than "Not Very Well Known", Audiosurf's a good one. Dungeonland was also pretty cool. It was a like, 1v4 multiplayer game where the solo player is the "Dungeonmaster" of Dungeonland, and it's their job to place traps and monsters throughout a level, while the four players are the adventurers trying to progress. It was a pretty unique concept imo, at least back in the day, and it was actually pretty fun.

Audiosurf was my jam, mixed with Beat Hazard and Melody's Escape as time went on. I believe all these games have sequels I've never played, and now I may have to check them all out.

Dungeonland I played on release with friends, but it didn't hold our attention long. I remember it going F2P not long after release, but I can't find it on the Steam store anymore so I guess the game's RIP and the Steam discussion for it has the online servers dead April 18th last year so only LAN/Hamachi/etc.

Sanctum is still a really solid game in its own right. Enjoyed it with friends.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663076

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:29 pm
Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:22 pm I know reading is a dying art but if you're going to quote something you probably shouldn't cherry pick information like a shitty news outlet.
you offered a solution and then stated the problem. the player then offered their own solution to the problem. what more is there to it?
Screenshot_20230126-073146~2.png
"please pick a name, I don't mind if you use "AAA" but put it with a word so it's an actual name."

"ÄĂĄÆ4"

The more you try to tell me I'm wrong and iron-fisted the more convinced I am that the education system is failing people worse than I expected.
rasonj
Byond Username: Rasonj

Post by rasonj » #663077

Looks to me like they are trying to find the exact line between allowed and not allowed so they can come as close to breaking the rule as possible with no good faith intention to create a meaningful character. It's the classic attention seeking behavior of a child pushing their boundaries to the limit before they get punished so you are forced to notice them.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #663078

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:32 pm
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:45 pm But if we wanna talk niche in terms of "Unique" rather than "Not Very Well Known", Audiosurf's a good one. Dungeonland was also pretty cool. It was a like, 1v4 multiplayer game where the solo player is the "Dungeonmaster" of Dungeonland, and it's their job to place traps and monsters throughout a level, while the four players are the adventurers trying to progress. It was a pretty unique concept imo, at least back in the day, and it was actually pretty fun.

Audiosurf was my jam, mixed with Beat Hazard and Melody's Escape as time went on. I believe all these games have sequels I've never played, and now I may have to check them all out.

Dungeonland I played on release with friends, but it didn't hold our attention long. I remember it going F2P not long after release, but I can't find it on the Steam store anymore so I guess the game's RIP and the Steam discussion for it has the online servers dead April 18th last year so only LAN/Hamachi/etc.

Hey! I also played Audiosurf a lot back in the day, good times. I was pretty bad at it tho, so I usually picked Ninja Mono, don't judge.

Thaumic
Byond Username: Thaumic

Post by Thaumic » #663079

It’s just not perma worthy
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #663080

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:32 pm

Yeah, Audiosurf's got a sequel, but I never played it. I haven't in a couple years, but I used to boot it up often as a good just Chill Vibes game. I might have to get back into that, honestly.

Yeah, Dungeonland ended up dying out. What's interesting is that a lot of games that disappeared from Steam used to at least still have Store Pages, but just not be purchasable anymore (like Max Payne 1 and 2), but Dungeonland's is straight up gone. Which is fuckin' interesting.

I should really go back to Sanctum sometime soon. See if I can gather the gang together again and relive the old days. I DID play Sanctum 2, but my Steam Hours say I didn't have as much in it as the first game, so I think I liked 1 more, probably? Reviews seem to agree with that consensus, too.

Honestly, though, back then I spent most of my time on Left 4 Dead 1/2, not a "niche indie game" but put a thousand hours into both combined (which was a lot back then lmao), and played through a lot of Expert Realism in the latter, so it didn't really leave a lot of time for other games. Y'got any recommendations that still hold up today I could go back and look at? Is AAAaAaAAAaA worth it?
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663081

Thaumic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:47 pm It’s just not perma worthy
Yes it is. When you are completely uncooperative what am I supposed to do? Just hope a day appearance ban will magically make the person in question realize they probably shouldn't name their character "AAAAAAAA"? It wouldn't have escalated into a perma at all if they just....did what I asked. The Perma will be in place until they can show me they understand naming policy.
Thaumic

Post by Thaumic » #663083

Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:51 pm
Yes it is. When you are completely uncooperative what am I supposed to do? Just hope a day appearance ban will magically make the person in question realize they probably shouldn't name their character "AAAAAAAA"? It wouldn't have escalated into a perma at all if they just....did what I asked. The Perma will be in place until they can show me they understand naming policy.
Is this his first offence of this nature? If so then yes, day ban. If he keeps doing it then literally no one would be giving you shit about the ensuing perma. Let them dig their own graves instead of giving yourself a headache
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663084

Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:34 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:29 pm
Screenshot_20230126-073146~2.png

"please pick a name, I don't mind if you use "AAA" but put it with a word so it's an actual name."

"ÄĂĄÆ4"

The more you try to tell me I'm wrong and iron-fisted the more convinced I am that the education system is failing people worse than I expected.
in the ticket the only issue you mentioned was that their name was multiple letters repeated. your offers were to simply add words onto their name.

it’s hard to say that this person wasn’t being genuine if they tried to use that name and then they then replied to let you know that they couldn’t even use it. if they were being a little troll they wouldn’t have tried to use the name in the first place.

and, yes, applying a permanent appearance ban and then telling them to kick rocks after they appeal in confusion over a name that’s sort-of-bad is iron fisted. this person has like no time under their belt why the fuck are you bullying them so hard

also if you’re going to call me a Media News Outlet then don’t paraphrase and add nice words to make yourself look better
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #663085

Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:37 pm Yeah I mean, it's to be expected that people will want to argue their side of things, especially when feeling disrespected, and even more so when the efforts to come to a whole understanding for all parties is not made.

I'm not pointing at any appeals or tickets from whenever when I say that, I'm just saying it in general.
With how poorly this peanut is going I feel the need to post this here.

It's clear the dude appealing wasn't understanding things in the ticket and was repeatedly told no but not WHY.

If someone doesn't have the full picture and a newfound understanding of the rules doesn't happen I fully expect situations like this to occur.

Plenty of people are always going to be difficult and everyone is going to have to learn to accept that or have a miserable life when it comes to interacting with others. People are going to ask why, especially when they don't understand. Coming to an understanding with difficult people though? That makes life easier.

The way this ticket was handled was a failing to do so (and I'm not saying that was intentional) and resulted in a potentially completely unnecessary appeal and potentially unnecessary ban and I'm going to assert very loudly that not having to deal with the appeal can make life easy.

How can a person expected to give the 'impression they learned anything from the situation' when not taught something?

Please consider Timbers ban appeal post for how one may handle these things in the future but ALSO consider how lengthy that post had to be. It will make things easier for everyone. I say this with the best of intentions, everyone can always do better. Rules explanations in tickets are GREAT!

It can hard to tell sometimes if someone is shit posting or genuinely not getting things, and sometimes it's worth the effort to be certain.

Plus I fully understand that naming policy currently sucks. We'd all be better off focusing on how difficult it currently is to convey naming policy to others. Imagine it being easier to understand and put into tickets. These sorts of appeals could see a fantastic reduction.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Hugs
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663086

rasonj wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:46 pm Looks to me like they are trying to find the exact line between allowed and not allowed so they can come as close to breaking the rule as possible with no good faith intention to create a meaningful character. It's the classic attention seeking behavior of a child pushing their boundaries to the limit before they get punished so you are forced to notice them.
name policy is completely subjective to the banning admin so what is the issue with personally asking admins what names are okay? let alone why does that make it bannable?
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #663087

naming policy sucks
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663088

Thaumic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:54 pm
Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:51 pm
Is this his first offence of this nature? If so then yes, day ban. If he keeps doing it then literally no one would be giving you shit about the ensuing perma. Let them dig their own graves instead of giving yourself a headache
I would of gone for just a day ban if they at least tried to understand what I was telling them, but instead they completely deflected everything I told them. In an ahelp no less, if the player is going to be uncooperative in tickets and refuse to listen I have no reason to not go for a permanent appearance ban. They did not convey any confusion, the only thing they did was give nonsensical replies. Like I mentioned before we are an adult community. I gave them fair warning my solution wasn't a pleasant one and they still refused to at least meet me half way. If I cannot trust you to behave when I'm not looking at you I'm going to ensure you do.

Also it's a very fun point to note: The only reason they even bothered to appeal this ban in the first place is because the game kept giving them felinid characters. That doubly shows to me they don't care about the policy, they only care about how it's inconveniencing them.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663089

i can only hope that the headmins make the right call at this point
Thaumic

Post by Thaumic » #663090

I think the admission that the banning admin in question went into the ticket already intending to place a ban speaks for itself
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663097

Thaumic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:11 pm I think the admission that the banning admin in question went into the ticket already intending to place a ban speaks for itself
I think you misunderstood, had the ticket just been a "hey change your name" "oh okay" that would have been the end of it. When I say "I would have gone for a day ban" I meant assuming the ticket was exactly the same, only in the end they didn't give me a shitposty response.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #663099

We'd all be better off focusing on how difficult it currently is to convey naming policy to others. Imagine it being easier to understand and put into tickets. These sorts of appeals could see a fantastic reduction.
Hugs
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663102

My take is that the ticket wasn’t uncooperative; it would be best to explain what exactly qualifies as a cyborg/android name before banning them from appearance and allow them to understand that.

They clearly didn’t understand what qualifies as a name. I do understand how the ticket can come off as uncooperative, but, more explaining could have been done.

Though I agree that the name AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA isn’t a good cyborg name and never will be
Last edited by Epicgamer545 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #663103

If someone says "yeah I'm not going to follow this rule" the response is to place the least-restrictive appropriate perma until they come to the forums and agree to follow the rules.

You see it happen with appearance bans and Rule 11 stuff.

It's not a perma as in "you will never have this removed", that's a black list. All you have to say is "Oh yeah, I'll follow that rule now, sorry about earlier."
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663105

RaveRadbury wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:48 pm
If someone says "yeah I'm not going to follow this rule" the response is to place the least-restrictive appropriate perma until they come to the forums and agree to follow the rules.

It's not a perma as in "you will never have this removed", that's a black list. All you have to say is "Oh yeah, I'll follow that rule now, sorry about earlier."
this is the most disappointing thing i have read all year thus far: nowhere did the player state they wouldn’t follow the rules, they were simply asking what names were okay
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #663107

Even though the ban was just to get them to come to the forums it still feels kinda mean.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663108

I agree that the appealer clearly wasn’t really listening/understanding of the naming policy, and could come off as a shitter, but it’s also good to have a slim of benefit of the doubt when dealing with people who don’t understand the rules.
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #663109

Epicgamer545 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:47 pm My take is that the ticket wasn’t uncooperative; it would be best to explain what exactly qualifies as a cyborg/android name before banning them from appearance and allow them to understand that.

They clearly didn’t understand what qualifies as a name. I do understand how the ticket can come off as uncooperative, but, more explaining could have been done.

Though I agree that the name AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA isn’t a good cyborg name and never will be
Any ideas on how going over naming policy in tickets could be easier?

I'd hope people don't have to take a post the size of Timbers in the appeal and try to break that down into something digestible in a ticket. Sounds like suffering.
Hugs
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #663111

I'm not convinced he was being uncooperative, I think his idea of what a good name is kinda sucks.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #663112

it's been 12 (13?) years since the potato sack and portal 2 arg

fuck im old
Spoiler:

Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663114

Misdoubtful wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:56 pm
Epicgamer545 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:47 pm My take is that the ticket wasn’t uncooperative; it would be best to explain what exactly qualifies as a cyborg/android name before banning them from appearance and allow them to understand that.

Any ideas on how going over naming policy in tickets could be easier?

I'd hope people don't have to take a post the size of Timbers in the appeal and try to break that down into something digestible in a ticket. Sounds like suffering.
Names can’t just be letters. There’s no context to a cyborg if their name is just a few letters, or a few exotic ones at that. I’d suggest the player should have taken some contexts and slapped it onto the name of his to contribute to their cyborg nature (like, AA battery, Unit AAA, Cyborg AAA) would work way better than AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

If I were in this situation, it would probably end up like this.
“Hey, your name may be unique, but it has no context with what a cyborg is. I suggest instead of going for a name with one letter, I’d suggest adding some context to that name; even adding cyborg worthy (unit, cyborg, battery, or perhaps something unique) before it and shortening the name a bit would do it. However just having a cyborg name like AAAAAAAAAA isn’t that unique as a cyborg name and won’t cut it.”
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #663117

There was a Portal 2 arg????
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663119

dragomagol wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:20 pm There was a Portal 2 arg????
Yes.
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663121

Don’t get me wrong, appealer has a skill issue but it’s more like a “learning” issue than a skill one.
Epicgamer545
► Show Spoiler
EpicFatGamerNuts2006
Byond Username: EpicFatGamerNuts

Post by EpicFatGamerNuts2006 » #663123

2 Timothy 2:24
And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil.

What would Jesus think?
Armhulen wrote:i have added epicfatgamernuts2006 to my friends list
wesoda25 wrote:im gonna add EpicFatGamerNuts2006 to my friend list too bc idk what that does
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #663124

Books 'n' learnin' 'n' stuff is hard 'n' shit.

I been an admin for a couple of years now and I still don't does it right, do I?
EpicFatGamerNuts2006
Byond Username: EpicFatGamerNuts

Post by EpicFatGamerNuts2006 » #663127

actually seriouspost because I feel bad for this guy
15:41:41: Reply from-thedragmeme: Im telling you that a single letter full caps with nothing else isnt gonna cut it. You can do AAA but keep it short and combine it with something
15:42:02: Reply from-dashatar: With other letter?
15:43:10: Reply from-dashatar: I'll do it AAAA4
15:44:00: Reply from-thedragmeme: No. If this is going to be a problem I can fix it my way if youd like.
wow yes this is a prime example of how to interact and talk to other humans from a position of power when they don't understand what you're talking about. good god dude you
gotta.jpg
Armhulen wrote:i have added epicfatgamernuts2006 to my friends list
wesoda25 wrote:im gonna add EpicFatGamerNuts2006 to my friend list too bc idk what that does
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #663128

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm

this is the most disappointing thing i have read all year thus far: nowhere did the player state they wouldn’t follow the rules, they were simply asking what names were okay
I was speaking generally about where the lines on permas are I wasn't speaking to the specifics of this appeal. Sorry for the confusion, that's on me.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #663129

RaveRadbury wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:55 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm

I was speaking generally about where the lines on permas are I wasn't speaking to the specifics of this appeal. Sorry for the confusion, that's on me.
aye, all good, i assumed so the first pass i read it but the edit made it sound like it was explicitly in the context of the ban
Thaumic

Post by Thaumic » #663131

Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:34 pm
Thaumic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:11 pm I think the admission that the banning admin in question went into the ticket already intending to place a ban speaks for itself
I think you misunderstood, had the ticket just been a "hey change your name" "oh okay" that would have been the end of it. When I say "I would have gone for a day ban" I meant assuming the ticket was exactly the same, only in the end they didn't give me a shitposty response.
I’m at work so I gotta make this quick
First of all sorry about that, I got kinda angry because to me it looked like you just ignored everything I said and instead made a reply that was just a continuation of your last one.
Second is that I’m not trying to be your enemy, I just legitimately don’t like this ruling.
Third is that I agree if someone is being evasive and difficult then admins don’t have to keep indulging him. HOWEVER take a moment to consider that this rule is a bit special in that it’s subjective and up to whatever admin happens to come across your masterpiece of a name. Because of that it is entirely reasonable to probe the admin that contacted you what variation of your name would be fine. Since the nature of this rule is so finicky I believe you should exercise much greater patience and tolerance when invoking it