Terry, the N-word, and a fallen server.

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Terry, the N-word, and a fallen server.

Post by TheRex9001 » #678316

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?t=33799&view=unread#unread

N-word spam bot.............
Terry moment
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Re: Terry, the N-word, and a fallen server.

Post by iwishforducks » #678432

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:21 pm and where are you getting this 926 posts number from? actually, one explanation is that we've had boards that did not count your posts. the hut for example, doesn't increase posts because it was like player club spam but on crack
i've never posted in the hut. i have like three posts in admin subforums. i guess it just doesn't count player club posts? lots of peanuts were moved over to the player's club.

if you click on my profile and click "search user's posts" it gives you "Search found 927 matches" (now 928)
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Re: Terry, the N-word, and a fallen server

Post by TheRex9001 » #678433

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:17 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:13 pm Does the intent matter? They forced others to spam the n-word, if I punch you no matter the intent you get punched/hurt
How does a word compare to a punch?
Forcing other people to say things, especially things that make them look bad, is not a helpful action, but it could be a harmless prank... just as it could actually get them in trouble, in which case it could be griefing.
A word does not compare to a punch, its a metaphor. The point is that no matter the intent an action that could have put others in great risk of banning was taken. I’ll make sure to make any future posts clearer. It was not a ”harmless prank”, it was forcing other people to spam the n-word to such a degree it lagged the server.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #678436

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:24 pm
Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:21 pm and where are you getting this 926 posts number from? actually, one explanation is that we've had boards that did not count your posts. the hut for example, doesn't increase posts because it was like player club spam but on crack
i've never posted in the hut. i have like three posts in admin subforums. i guess it just doesn't count player club posts? lots of peanuts were moved over to the player's club.

if you click on my profile and click "search user's posts" it gives you "Search found 927 matches" (now 928)
The player club probably doesn't count posts made, which is both fair and also an absolutely hilarious realization
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678437

jesus fucking christ demonfiren has nearly 10,000 posts and i havent seen him in like 3 years
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678438

it's gonna take me awhile
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678440

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:35 pm it's gonna take me awhile
well posting here isn't gonna help you. better start an off topic counting thread where you can double post as much as you want
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #678441

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:04 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:57 pm He was spamming the n word. I would even go as far as to say an admin wouldve been in the right to just rule 0 this guy and tell him to make an appeal when he's done being immature
Why do you say this like he's some sort of war criminal? It's a word, not a magic spell - it only hurts you if you let it. It's no worse than any other spam.
its really cool that the n word does not have any effect on you, ekaterina. You are a very tough individual and your thick skin is admirable! Just because a word doesnt impact you doesnt mean other people are not impacted. You say it yourself right here
ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:36 pm it is a server open to the public.
I believe when you open something up to the public, you should have a fair reason to exclude one person
This guy not only decided to spam the chat, which kinda ruins the text-based part of the text based roleplaying game, he also used the n word for shock value or something similar (which you cannot even pretend was done in anything other than terrible faith since its a public server). Its immature and I dont see how it isnt a fair reason for an admin to permaban.

Permabans only stick if there is a very good reason for them to, and if you can put all this effort into disrupting the server but cant put effort into an appeal or playing on another server for a vouch you can rightfully fuck off
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678442

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:36 pm
Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:35 pm it's gonna take me awhile
well posting here isn't gonna help you. better start an off topic counting thread where you can double post as much as you want
arm you just got owned by iwishforducks
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #678454

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:25 pm A word does not compare to a punch, its a metaphor. The point is that no matter the intent an action that could have put others in great risk of banning was taken. I’ll make sure to make any future posts clearer. It was not a ”harmless prank”, it was forcing other people to spam the n-word to such a degree it lagged the server.
Neither then nor now is the act of saying "nigger" by itself enough for a ban.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #678455

TheLoLSwat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:57 pm Just because a word doesnt impact you doesnt mean other people are not impacted...
Trouble is, caring about other people requires a degree of kindness.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678462

Sightld2 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:32 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:57 pm Just because a word doesnt impact you doesnt mean other people are not impacted...
didn't realize i joined the round as a WOKE technician on SAFE SPACE 13
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #678463

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:48 pm
whats next... NEW ENGINE: THE PRONOUNMATTER??? SNOWFLAKEstation 13!!!
respect (let him do his thing)
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #678466

Shit take
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #678468

TheLoLSwat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:36 pm its really cool that the n word does not have any effect on you, ekaterina. You are a very tough individual and your thick skin is admirable! Just because a word doesnt impact you doesnt mean other people are not impacted. You say it yourself right here
shit take
NSFW:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678469

kinnebian wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:49 pm
Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:48 pm
whats next... NEW ENGINE: THE PRONOUNMATTER??? SNOWFLAKEstation 13!!!
just rolled progressivetraitor
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #678471

and with that... sightid and lolswat both crumbled into dust...
respect (let him do his thing)
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #678472

im glad our ruleset is vague enough that people like ekaterina can feel confident in sharing the world's worst takes so they can be ignored without first having to put any effort into indulging their points.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678474

MMMiracles wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:06 pm im glad our ruleset is vague enough that people like ekaterina can feel confident in sharing the world's worst takes so they can be ignored without first having to put any effort into indulging their points.
40 bounty added to whiterun
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #678478

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:07 pm
MMMiracles wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:06 pm im glad our ruleset is vague enough that people like ekaterina can feel confident in sharing the world's worst takes so they can be ignored without first having to put any effort into indulging their points.
40 bounty added to whiterun
"By order of the Jarl, stop right there!"
"You have committed crimes against Skyrim and her people. What say you in your defense?"
► Show Spoiler
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678479

I'm putting that in a spoiler for the readability of this thread
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #678480

kinnebian wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:05 pm and with that... sightid and lolswat both crumbled into dust...
I too am glad that we live in this timeline, and not some alternate 1984-esque one.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #678482

Not these shit pro-slur takes again jfc...

Last edited by Fren256 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #678483

datorangebottle wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:14 pm
kinnebian wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:05 pm and with that... sightid and lolswat both crumbled into dust...
i come into this thread, get owned by MSO, and then realize that my go to owned gif was used

when will it end :(
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #678484

I'm gonna ask forum mods to lock this if it turns into another B-BUT SLURS AREN'T BAD shitfest again. Stay on topic.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #678485

TheLoLSwat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:19 pm i come into this thread, get owned by MSO, and then realize that my go to owned gif was used

when will it end :(
if you take another L, you're gonna have to add it to your name. that's just too many Ls to not be represented.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678486

For what it's worth LoLSwat I think you're a real one
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678488

Vekter wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:19 pm I'm gonna ask forum mods to lock this if it turns into another B-BUT SLURS AREN'T BAD shitfest again. Stay on topic.
You can ask all you want. If Armhulen wanted to lock it, he would have locked it already.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #678489

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:27 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:25 pm A word does not compare to a punch, its a metaphor. The point is that no matter the intent an action that could have put others in great risk of banning was taken. I’ll make sure to make any future posts clearer. It was not a ”harmless prank”, it was forcing other people to spam the n-word to such a degree it lagged the server.
Mm... Here's the issue right. Let me come at it from a logical point of view instead of calling you a racist (crazy).
We can agree the N-word is a very offensive slur to an entire race of people, because the word refers to THEM (people) in a demeaning (less-than-people) manner, over something they cannot control (their race).

This is why the word was created, and what the word means. There is therefore an intentionality in the word itself, in its very essence and existence, which is separate and aside from how the word is actually used in a conversation.
This intentionality makes the word itself harmful to the same people who, you would agree, would be caused harm by having this directed at them in a pointed manner.

And so if we can agree to those premises, we can agree something like this, which spams the gamerword in such a rapid, public fashion, exposes this harmful intentionality to the wider audience of players, some of whom would be offended or put into a negative headspace due to it. Now you might here argue, "but Sinful, it's not being said with intention, so surely they could see that and become unaffected and immune to it?" and to that I would say, perhaps some have, and some have not, but no one should be forced nor expected into developing this sort of immunity especially in a spaceman videogame which is supposed to be about having fun.
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678490

in general i like the discussion and even the disagreements are from a place of sensibility and good faith. we cook in here
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #678492

Sinful rn you just brought a tear to old conrad's eye.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #678494

They grow up so fast...

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678495

i forgive sinful for him using chatgpt to sealion me for half a thread, he's so back right now
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678496

and to think rave wanted sinful gone from the forums for forever
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678497

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:35 pm
Mm... Here's the issue right. Let me come at it from a logical point of view instead of calling you a racist (crazy).
We can agree the N-word is a very offensive slur to an entire race of people, because the word refers to THEM (people) in a demeaning (less-than-people) manner, over something they cannot control (their race).

This is why the word was created, and what the word means. There is therefore an intentionality in the word itself, in its very essence and existence, which is separate and aside from how the word is actually used in a conversation.
This intentionality makes the word itself harmful to the same people who, you would agree, would be caused harm by having this directed at them in a pointed manner.

And so if we can agree to those premises, we can agree something like this, which spams the gamerword in such a rapid, public fashion, exposes this harmful intentionality to the wider audience of players, some of whom would be offended or put into a negative headspace due to it. Now you might here argue, "but Sinful, it's not being said with intention, so surely they could see that and become unaffected and immune to it?" and to that I would say, perhaps some have, and some have not, but no one should be forced nor expected into developing this sort of immunity especially in a spaceman videogame which is supposed to be about having fun.
This argument is built on false premises.

First, that the word nigger was created to demean black people. This is false. It comes from the Latin word for black, through French. It was created as a simple matter-of-fact description, much like the English "black" is still used now. The whole argument was predicated on this assertion which I've shown to be false and thus it falls apart, but nonetheless I will address the remaining points.
Second, that, if it had been created for that purpose, it would make it inherent to the word. A thing can be created for one purpose and used for another. Viagra was intended as a medication for heart conditions, yet it is used as a treatment for impotence. The meaning of words may change over time, as the point above exemplifies.
Third, that it is somehow our problem when other people are unreasonably offended. I don't see spiders being removed to accommodate arachnophobia sufferers, or clowns being removed to accommodate players with a fear of clowns. Being offended by random, floating, slurs not directed at you or even a specific person is not reasonable.
Last edited by ekaterina on Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scamoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by scamoppi » #678498

i think it's neat how much terry has changed, i haven't heard a slur there in quite a while
𓆏 ribbit... (nothing to see here...)
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #678499

This argument breaks down when you remember that most only take offense when its a white person who says it.

Which means it can't be an actual real emotional offended reaction. its just a means of bullying people for not following some social rules.

Also the argument sucks because holding internet and public human expression to the lowest common denominator is silly and stupid.
NSFW:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #678500

are all security mains like this
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678501

I still think can be simplified to the simple expectation that when you're using slurs you have meaning behind it (so it's not just lolrandomspam) and the meaning behind it is not meant to demean others.
The classic "What are you faggots playing" test passes this check for me as it's not lolrandom and it's not intended to demean
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678502

MMMiracles wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:49 pm are all security mains like this
A girl can dream. Sadly half of security mains are f*linids and a quarter are moths.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #678503

MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:46 pm Also the argument sucks because holding internet and public human expression to the lowest common denominator is silly and stupid.
Well said. Also if you have user id 2 who has user id 1?
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #678505

MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:46 pm This argument breaks down when you remember that most only take offense when its a white person who says it.
Wow, I can't believe a word that was used by white enslavers against black slaves to dehumanize them has had such an effect that people react negatively when a white person says it. What a shocker!
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678506

Fren256 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:58 pm
MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:46 pm This argument breaks down when you remember that most only take offense when its a white person who says it.
Wow, I can't believe a word that was used by white enslavers against black slaves to dehumanize them has had such an effect that people react negatively when a white person says it. What a shocker!
So right! People that were never slaves totally have the right to be mad at people who never owned slaves because they have the same skin colour as people who did!

Who's the racist here again?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678507

Vekter wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:19 pm I'm gonna ask forum mods to lock this if it turns into another B-BUT SLURS AREN'T BAD shitfest again. Stay on topic.
*nervously sips water*
okay we're not there, but we've gone defcon-5 to defcon-4 quicker than i thought
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #678508

Fren256 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:58 pm
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
NSFW:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #678511

MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:46 pm

This argument breaks down when you remember that most only take offense when its a white person who says it.

Which means it can't be an actual real emotional offended reaction.
I would suggest there's another reason for this. There is an aspect of self-deprecation and commiseration when you yourself also apply to the slur you're using, which makes it very difficult to argue it's being used in a demeaning manner. For instance, say I'm very overweight, and I'm hanging out with my overweight friend. Suppose I call him a fat fuck. This would be much different than if I were ripped with 6 pack abs and called him a fat fuck. The reason is because in the former case, if I did mean it in a demeaning manner, I would also be demeaning myself, which means at the very least I consider us equals in our fat-fuckedness.

For the same reason, if a white person calls a black person a "nigger," this has a very different connotation than if a black person calls a black person a "nigger," because in the latter case you simply cannot mean it in a demeaning way, since you yourself would apply to the group the slur is targeted for, and thus you are not accusing them of being "less-than-people" unless it also means you consider yourself "less-than-people," which is an unlikely scenario.
ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:45 pm This argument is built on false premises.

First, that the word nigger was created to demean black people. This is false. It comes from the Latin word for black, through French. It was created as a simple matter-of-fact description, much like the English "black" is still used now. The whole argument was predicated on this assertion which I've shown to be false and thus it falls apart, but nonetheless I will address the remaining points.
Second, that, if it had been created for that purpose, it would make it inherent to the word. A thing can be created for one purpose and used for another. Viagra was intended as a medication for heart conditions, yet it is used as a treatment for impotence. The meaning of words may change over time, as the point above exemplifies.
Third, that it is somehow our problem when other people are unreasonably offended. I don't see spiders being removed to accommodate arachnophobia sufferers, or clowns being removed to accommodate players with a fear of clowns. Being offended by random, floating, slurs not directed at you or even a specific person is not reasonable.
We are speaking English, so the word's existence in French has no bearing on its creation or existence in English.
Perhaps I am ignorant to the rich history of the N word in English, but I think I am in good company in only knowing of it with respect to its racist intentionality.

I would ask what other purpose the word has taken on, in your view, to nullify its purposiveness as a slur. I would also oppose any appeals to "nigga," which in my view has an entirely different meaning and is not the subject of this discussion.

Finally I would ask what you consider probable cause for being "reasonably offended." You mention arachnophobia. Phobias are extremely common and shared by peoples of all countries, races, shapes, and sizes, and therefore it is difficult to use a phobia as an avenue to demean. That said, you could use anything as an avenue to demean, including arachnophobia, but it does not hold the same weight since it lacks the historical, faux-scientific, and other baggage that race holds in its use as a diminutive avenue.
Spoiler:
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678512

citation and source needed.
MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:46 pmWhich means it can't be an actual real emotional offended reaction. its just a means of bullying people for not following some social rules.

Also the argument sucks because holding internet and public human expression to the lowest common denominator is silly and stupid.
have you conducted a test where you said the n word and then asked the people around you how they felt about it? under what circumstances was this test done? if you conduct this test with a room full of white people versus half and half white and black versus all back versus latino/hispanic versus etc then what are the different responses? what happens when the results are anonymous? would people change their answers if they were given a graph showing the % of races were offended? etc etc you kinda get my point about this being a deeper social issue than you're trying to chalk it up to be

conveniently you have turned this social issue into entirely being about the white man. with all due respect, sir, check your privilege.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #678513

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:12 pm

For the same reason, if a white person calls a black person a "nigger," this has a very different connotation than if a black person calls a black person a "nigger,"
but this isn't about calling somebody the nword

This is about saying, at all.
NSFW:
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #678514

Listen, you guys can go completely nuts in just a minute, but there is something I wanted to have clarified before you bash eachother's heads in:

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:40 pm
Bucovineanu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:01 pm Anything else we should know: For a rather long period of time I have contributed to, played on and adminned for a server explicitly built to rival tg. At this moment, the server (Merchant) is largely dead.
lol gaddeem!
>burn down bridge to make server with blackjack and slurs
What is wrong with blackjack??

WIth puzzled regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #678515

iwishforducks wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:13 pm check your privilege.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
NSFW:
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #678516

Understandable since the paperskinned lot that lied their way into getting a word filter put in are unable to even have that conversation without melting.
Image Image
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678517

BONERMASTER wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:14 pm Listen, you guys can go completely nuts in just a minute, but there is something I wanted to have clarified before you bash eachother's heads in:

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:40 pm
Bucovineanu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:01 pm Anything else we should know: For a rather long period of time I have contributed to, played on and adminned for a server explicitly built to rival tg. At this moment, the server (Merchant) is largely dead.
lol gaddeem!
>burn down bridge to make server with blackjack and slurs
What is wrong with blackjack??

WIth puzzled regards
-BONERMASTER
You probably don't know, but it's a futurama meme that became helpful terminology for people creating their own versions of things they're kicked out from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94qrgxH35M