Terry, the N-word, and a fallen server.

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Terry, the N-word, and a fallen server.

Post by TheRex9001 » #678316

viewtopic.php?t=33799&view=unread#unread

N-word spam bot.............
Terry moment
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Re: Terry, the N-word, and a fallen server.

Post by Turbonerd » #678318

I was in that round. The spam was absolutely insane. It was around 9 pages of N-words spammed on comms every second. It's probably the reason why Terry won the N-word contest that term.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #678340

what a peaceful method of protesting this noble terryite has chosen
respect (let him do his thing)
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #678342

Terry is healing
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #678345

A permanent ban for doing a little bit of nanite-style trolling... I don't even know what to say anymore.
Yet another example of why permanent bans should be replaced in 99% of cases with 1 year bans.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678348

im going to take a rolling pin and flatten you out to cartoonish proportions, ekat
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #678350

He should be denied for writing that long of an appeal
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #678351

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:18 pm A permanent ban for doing a little bit of nanite-style trolling... I don't even know what to say anymore.
Yet another example of why permanent bans should be replaced in 99% of cases with 1 year bans.
It absolutely flooded the chat instantly and lasted for a long time. It was very obvious griefing. Permanent bans are better than one year bans because the player has to show good faith and understanding of what they did wrong.

Yet another example of a terrible ekaterina take.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #678355

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:18 pm A permanent ban for doing a little bit of nanite-style trolling... I don't even know what to say anymore.
He spammed the nword to a degree it lagged the server
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #678358

Bucovineanu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:01 pm Anything else we should know: For a rather long period of time I have contributed to, played on and adminned for a server explicitly built to rival tg. At this moment, the server (Merchant) is largely dead.
lol gaddeem!
>burn down bridge to make server with blackjack and slurs
>server only pulls people who have been removed from tg
>it's unplayable and gets griefed constantly
>can i come back to tgstation?
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678361

Turbonerd wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:27 pm It was very obvious griefing.
How does a word, not directed at anyone in particular, cause you grief?
If it's true that it caused lag, and you can prove he did it knowing it would cause lag, then I'd understand a permanent ban, but, without that element, this is excessive.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #678364

he was spamming the n word. I would even go as far as to say an admin wouldve been in the right to just rule 0 this guy and tell him to make an appeal when he's done being immature
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #678366

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:54 pm
If it's true that it caused lag, and you can prove he did it knowing it would cause lag, then I'd understand a permanent ban, but, without that element, this is excessive.
Just look at the say logs for that round before blindly criticising the administration about something you clearly don't understand.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678367

TheLoLSwat wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:57 pm He was spamming the n word. I would even go as far as to say an admin wouldve been in the right to just rule 0 this guy and tell him to make an appeal when he's done being immature
Why do you say this like he's some sort of war criminal? It's a word, not a magic spell - it only hurts you if you let it. It's no worse than any other spam.
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #678368

ekaterina wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:09 pm
Fren256 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:09 pm Are we just going to ignore how the N word is an actual harmful word with an awful history behind it
The whole point of the clarification included in the rule, which seemingly flew over your head at supersonic speeds, is that no word is inherently harmful - its use is what determines whether it's harmful or not.
Fren256 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:09 pm and how swapping the N for an L doesn't remove the fact that it's still a slur for black people
And yet it literally does exactly that. Ligger is a slur for lizards, not for black people. Nobody uses it for black people, nor was it ever intended to be used for black people, nor would it make sense to use it in that context.

I can't tell whether you actually believe this insanity, like the Twitter people who take offence on others' behalf, or are just trying to start drama.

At least a broken racist clock is consistently wrong and racist. Some things never change.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678369

Domitius wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:05 pm At least a broken racist clock is consistently wrong and racist. Some things never change.
Jumping to insults, like you did just now calling me racist, is a telltale sign that you have no arguments to refute what I said. That's because I'm right and you know it.

"Nooooo how dare you not have a visceral irrational emotional reaction to a WORD like us?1!?!1?!"
Last edited by ekaterina on Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #678371

Its not directed to anyone in particular but its like putting on a blindfold, walking into a city and then screaming the N-word at the top of your lungs. Yeah you could argue its not targeted but come on. It was also a BCI so he could have gotten other people in trouble since it pops up as the implanted person saying the N-word. This could be argued as a case of banbaiting aswell
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678373

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:07 pm It was also a BCI so he could have gotten other people in trouble since it pops up as the implanted person saying the N-word. This could be argued as a case of banbaiting aswell
That would make it more serious if it were the case, no doubt, but do we have any indications this was his intention? This seems like pure speculation at this point.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #678374

Who woulda thunk a server made to accept tg orphans would crash and burn under the weight of its own griefing lmao
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Domitius

Post by Domitius » #678375

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:06 pm
Domitius wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:05 pm At least a broken racist clock is consistently wrong and racist. Some things never change.
Jumping to insults, like you did just now calling me racist, is a telltale sign that you have no arguments to refute what I said. That's because I'm right and you know it.

"Nooooo how dare you not have a visceral irrational emotional reaction to a WORD like us?1!?!1?!"
I wonder how long you hesitated to complete the onboarding test to get into merchant station.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678377

Domitius wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:10 pm I wonder how long you hesitated to complete the onboarding test to get into merchant station.
Is this word soup supposed to have meaning?
I never played on his server, which is the only clear part of what you said.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678379

can someone ban this retard i'm sick of him making every thread downs syndrome
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #678380

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:09 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:07 pm It was also a BCI so he could have gotten other people in trouble since it pops up as the implanted person saying the N-word. This could be argued as a case of banbaiting aswell
That would make it more serious if it were the case, no doubt, but do we have any indications this was his intention? This seems like pure speculation at this point.
Does the intent matter? They forced others to spam the n-word, if I punch you no matter the intent you get punched/hurt
Domitius

Post by Domitius » #678381

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:12 pm
Domitius wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:10 pm I wonder how long you hesitated to complete the onboarding test to get into merchant station.
Is this word soup supposed to have meaning? I never played on his server.
You're right, I don't really need to wonder. I know you probably didn't hesitate.
Domitius

Post by Domitius » #678382

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:13 pm

can someone ban this retard i'm sick of him making every thread downs syndrome
To be fair I'm lobbing some pretty cold takes in their direction so the defensiveness shouldn't be held against them.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678383

ekat be honest when you post in these rule 11 threads do you get a notification like this in the top left of your screen Image
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678384

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:13 pm Does the intent matter? They forced others to spam the n-word, if I punch you no matter the intent you get punched/hurt
How does a word compare to a punch?
Forcing other people to say things, especially things that make them look bad, is not a helpful action, but it could be a harmless prank... just as it could actually get them in trouble, in which case it could be griefing.
Domitius wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:13 pm You're right, I don't really need to wonder. I know you probably didn't hesitate.
Didn't hesitate TO WHAT?
Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:16 pm ekat be honest when you post in these rule 11 threads do you get a notification like this in the top left of your screen Image
No, but I get a little red W. 8-)
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678386

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:13 pm can someone ban this retard i'm sick of him making every thread downs syndrome
edit: something something i dont condone these words blah blah you get it
Last edited by iwishforducks on Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #678387

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:17 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:13 pm Does the intent matter? They forced others to spam the n-word, if I punch you no matter the intent you get punched/hurt
How does a word compare to a punch?
Forcing other people to say things, especially things that make them look bad, is not a helpful action, but it could be a harmless prank... just as it could actually get them in trouble, in which case it could be griefing.
Domitius wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:13 pm You're right, I don't really need to wonder. I know you probably didn't hesitate.
Didn't hesitate TO WHAT?
Just go to Merchant already. It seems like your ideal server.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678388

Turbonerd wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:19 pm Just go to Merchant already. It seems like your ideal server.
You do not know me. A server that's even more NRP than Terry (according to the accounts here) is in no way ideal.
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #678391

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:20 pm
Turbonerd wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:19 pm Just go to Merchant already. It seems like your ideal server.
You do not know me. A server that's even more NRP than Terry (according to the accounts here) is in no way ideal.
Then why are you complaining that someone causing massive spam (just like all of your takes) got banned?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678392

i guess i should do my civic duty and gently remind people to keep it civil! just because i see where this is slowly going
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678393

ok armhulen let's keep it civil

im gonna jam a bayonet in this guys guts
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678394

Turbonerd wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:21 pm
Then why are you complaining that someone causing massive spam (just like all of your takes) got banned?
I'm not. I'm complaining he got permanently banned.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678396

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:25 pm
a perma ban takes like 15 minutes of work to get overturned calm down you dung beetle
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678397

considering he went on to merchant station something tells me we missed very little in the time he was permanently banned. like you know what that server was like, right?
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678398

Super Aggro Crag wrote: a perma ban takes like 15 minutes of work to get overturned calm down you dung beetle
-Super Aggro Crag, In Game PermaBanned

:D
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #678399

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:25 pm
What's wrong with getting a permanent ban instead of a one year ban? A permanent ban means he can't come back without showing good faith. It really doesn't take a lot of effort to make an appeal.

It's a free game, and access to the servers is a privilege, not a right. If he wants to come back after being so disruptive, he'll have to prove he can play in good faith. It's not like he gave anything to the community.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678400

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:29 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: a perma ban takes like 15 minutes of work to get overturned calm down you dung beetle
-Super Aggro Crag, In Game PermaBanned

:D
exactly you dunwich horror how do you think i know?
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #678402

damn that round is an old one
the spam that got out of that was horrible, the entire comms was full of it
if i remember correctly people even took to discord and complained there later
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #678404

Turbonerd wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:29 pm What's wrong with getting a permanent ban instead of a one year ban? A permanent ban means he can't come back without showing good faith. It really doesn't take a lot of effort to make an appeal.
Forcing someone to humiliate himself on a public forum to be let back in rubs me the wrong way.
Turbonerd wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:29 pm It's a free game, and access to the servers is a privilege, not a right.
I disagree with this logic and attitude. If it were a whitelist server (i.e. private), this would make total sense - but it is a server open to the public.
I believe when you open something up to the public, you should have a fair reason to exclude one person (or several) in particular (which is what happens right now), not do it willy-nilly (which is what what you wrote seems to imply).
Turbonerd wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:29 pm If he wants to come back after being so disruptive, he'll have to prove he can play in good faith. It's not like he gave anything to the community.
Considering he (allegedly) caused actual lag, you raise a reasonable point.
Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:28 pm considering he went on to merchant station something tells me we missed very little in the time he was permanently banned. like you know what that server was like, right?
Not beyond what I read. Feel free to enlighten me.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678405

ekaterina wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:36 pm Forcing someone to humiliate himself on a public forum to be let back in rubs me the wrong way.
It was his choice to burn bridges with /tg/ to server hop to a server that openly welcomed racists, he humiliated himself. Frankly the move to merchantstation and becoming an admin just tells me that the common sense sniff test about his behaviors was 100% correct. Allowing people to slur without any intent behind them ("i'm just going to make people spam it lol") is not removing bigotry from the community even if the words aren't targeted at anyone in particular. if you are someone who spews slurs "randomly" and "without any intention behind them" you're just contributing to a community atmosphere where certain people feel very unwelcome.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678409

There really is no great way to explain that normalizing the meaningless use of slurs also normalizes an atmosphere of keeping the people those slurs are intended to demean out and if we did a lot of great players in our community would not want to play here. We should lose good community members over what?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #678415

armhulen you doubleposted ...
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678418

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:02 pm armhulen you doubleposted ...
top 5 post count on the forum grindset, and i want to reach top 1
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678421

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:04 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:02 pm armhulen you doubleposted ...
top 5 post count on the forum grindset, and i want to reach top 1
where can we even see top post counts
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678425

quick links -> members -> click posts to sort by posts descending
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678428

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:11 pm quick links -> members -> click posts to sort by posts descending
shit's broken i have 926 posts when i search up my posts but it says i only have 139 on my profile and on the member list
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #678430

and where are you getting this 926 posts number from? actually, one explanation is that we've had boards that did not count your posts. the hut for example, doesn't increase posts because it was like player club spam but on crack
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #678432

Armhulen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:21 pm and where are you getting this 926 posts number from? actually, one explanation is that we've had boards that did not count your posts. the hut for example, doesn't increase posts because it was like player club spam but on crack
i've never posted in the hut. i have like three posts in admin subforums. i guess it just doesn't count player club posts? lots of peanuts were moved over to the player's club.

if you click on my profile and click "search user's posts" it gives you "Search found 927 matches" (now 928)