A peanut 200 years in the making

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

A peanut 200 years in the making

Post by TheLoLSwat » #679740

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33830

shoutout to Rex9001 for the title
Epoc
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epoc

Re: A peanut 200 years in the making

Post by Epoc » #679766

in the short time cvs has been hanging out, he seems like a chill dude
in all transparency, i helped him with parts of the appeal to tweak some wording here and there
chatting with him, he did seem genuinely remorseful for what he did

the worst part is that
1) he started on manuel
2) the person who taught him the game taught him toxins first
3) he still had pretty low hours when this whole thing took place
it was like a perfect storm of "how to get a new person banned"
BrolyButterfingers
Byond Username: DurrHurrDurrHurr

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #679767

I'll be real if someone steals my bombs I am 100% detonating them before they can put them somewhere even more damaging and do it themselves

Every time
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #679793

permaban is going to be lifted, so the discussion will likely be on if the sci ban sticks. I think it should be lowered a week or 2 as long as he actually plays, but I understand if the admin would rather him make an appeal for the sciban after getting those hours.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #679801

Yeah CVS seems like a pretty cool dude, hes been playing TGMC a lot and hanging out in VC. Seems to want to be a part of this community and I think they wont repeat the mistake.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #679866

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:58 pm I'll be real if someone steals my bombs I am 100% detonating them before they can put them somewhere even more damaging and do it themselves

Every time
As you should
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
BrolyButterfingers

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #679867

Pandarsenic wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:35 am
BrolyButterfingers wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:58 pm I'll be real if someone steals my bombs I am 100% detonating them before they can put them somewhere even more damaging and do it themselves

Every time
As you should
I'll be honest

The ruleset in this regard sucks

If someone runs off with your bombs and detonates them himself you're going to get in trouble for making the bombs regardless. If you detonate them early you can at least hopefully end up blowing up the thief + 1-2 others in a random hallway instead of eating a ban when your stolen bomb blows up the entire brig or the entire medbay. Expecting players to actually be able to weigh this choice (do I detonate or do I not) results in really stinky player behaviours and bad outcomes like this one where a player was trying to mitigate the OOC damage of someone stealing his dangerous shit in a game that is designed with the expectation that sometimes people will steal your dangerous shit.

If we had a better ruleset where this isn't a realistic fear, the player would feel more comfortable reporting it to security as an urgent matter and it would be incorporated into the round better for all involved; the bombmaker doesn't eat a stinky ban/note, the player who stole the bombs now has a narrative they can interact with and security has an interesting new dilemma. Avoiding this kind of enforcement and allowing it to play out IC just seems better for everyone involved.

I think this is a missed opportunity for a fun story to have been the outcome rather than this.

EDIT: I'll also add, this exact same area of interaction is why I am so appreciative of the mass damage/sabotage rules rework for MRP. It removed a lot of stinky outcomes like this one that I think could've just been left as fun stories.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #679868

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:02 am

Every time
As you should
I'll be honest

If someone runs off with your bombs and detonates them himself you're going to get in trouble for making the bombs regardless. If you detonate them early you can at least hopefully end up blowing up the thief + 1-2 others in a random hallway instead of eating a ban when your stolen bomb blows up the entire brig or the entire medbay. Expecting players to actually be able to weigh this choice (do I detonate or do I not) results in really stinky player behaviours and bad outcomes like this one where a player was trying to mitigate the OOC damage of someone stealing his dangerous shit in a game that is designed with the expectation that sometimes people will steal your dangerous shit.

If we had a better ruleset where this isn't a realistic fear, the player would feel more comfortable reporting it to security as an urgent matter and it would be incorporated into the round better for all involved; the bombmaker doesn't eat a stinky ban/note, the player who stole the bombs now has a narrative they can interact with and security has an interesting new dilemma. Avoiding this kind of enforcement and allowing it to play out IC just seems better for everyone involved.

I think this is a missed opportunity for a fun story to have been the outcome rather than this.

EDIT: I'll also add, this exact same area of interaction is why I am so appreciative of the mass damage/sabotage rules rework for MRP. It removed a lot of stinky outcomes like this one that I think could've just been left as fun stories.
You're not going to get in trouble for someone else stealing and setting off your bombs if you behaved reasonably with them. One of the core tenets of TTV policing is to be reasonable and responsible with live bombs at all times.

They hack into toxins, grab one and run away with it? That's not your fault, you did the responsible thing and kept the bombs in the bomb workplace. You put a bomb down on a table in the hallway to tie your shoelaces? If someone steals that and sets it off you've probably responsible to some extent.

Detonating it "early" is the worst possible advice, now not only are you on the hook if you were not responsible with it in the first place, but also for actively bombing the station, and without even knowing what your target was.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
BrolyButterfingers

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #679869

Thunder11 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:33 am
BrolyButterfingers wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:02 am

Every time
As you should
I'll be honest

You're not going to get in trouble for someone else stealing and setting off your bombs if you behaved reasonably with them. One of the core tenets of TTV policing is to be reasonable and responsible with live bombs at all times.

They hack into toxins, grab one and run away with it? That's not your fault, you did the responsible thing and kept the bombs in the bomb workplace. You put a bomb down on a table in the hallway to tie your shoelaces? If someone steals that and sets it off you've probably responsible to some extent.

Detonating it "early" is the worst possible advice, now not only are you on the hook if you were not responsible with it in the first place, but also for actively bombing the station, and without even knowing what your target was.
The rules are shitty enough about "you're responsible for your own dangerous shit" that it kind of funnels players into this poopy decisionmaking tree where they have to wonder if they're liable and whether they need to do damage control as a result
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #679872

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:52 am The rules are shitty enough about "you're responsible for your own dangerous shit" that it kind of funnels players into this poopy decisionmaking tree where they have to wonder if they're liable and whether they need to do damage control as a result
They really aren't. If you're behaving in any way reasonably you'll be fine. Just don't give bombs away or make it super easy for someone else to get a-hold of them. And Thunder's right, if you detonate the bomb "early" then you're the only person responsible for the explosion
Maxipat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Maxipat

Post by Maxipat » #679888

Just don't give bombs away or make it super easy for someone else to get a-hold of them.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33546
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #679889

Yeah I would say the relation between you and your bombs is like the relation between a sec officer and someone he just arrested. The sec officer is responsible for his arrest. If his arrest just "ends up dead", it's the seccies fault, just like how someone spends a round making bombs and they "end up detonating"
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #679890

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:58 pm if someone steals my bombs I am 100% detonating them
As you should
Thunder11 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:33 am Detonating it "early" is the worst possible advice, now not only are you on the hook if you were not responsible with it in the first place, but also for actively bombing the station, and without even knowing what your target was.
Guh! Conflicting admin advice!
I want a headmin ruling!
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #679893

What're the chances? He asked me to teach him toxins last night.
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #679895

Eh, we've all done stupid shit. Worst case scenario here is that he turns around and does it again and gets banned for it again.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #679900

ekaterina wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:57 pm
BrolyButterfingers wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:58 pm if someone steals my bombs I am 100% detonating them
As you should
Thunder11 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:33 am Detonating it "early" is the worst possible advice, now not only are you on the hook if you were not responsible with it in the first place, but also for actively bombing the station, and without even knowing what your target was.
I want a headmin ruling!
was a headmin, my advice is to own dafuq up to making a bomb and it going off
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #679935

ekaterina wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:57 pm
As you should
I want a headmin ruling!
blow it up coward no balls
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo