john maintenance, wine, and the wacky peanut world we all live on

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

john maintenance, wine, and the wacky peanut world we all live on

Post by kinnebian » #682483

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33930
so, gang: what are the thoughts? :)
respect (let him do his thing)
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Re: john maintenance, wine, and the wacky peanut world we all live on

Post by ekaterina » #682490

Names based on professions are something that exists in real life. "John Smith" and "John Potter" are fine but "John Maintenance" is not? "John Maintainer" ought to be, following the earlier pattern.
In any case, this is inconsequential. I don't think the admin should've bothered a player over something as insignificant as the guy having a slightly wacky name on LRP.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #682497

I ahelped the guy because he was being very deliberate and annoying about his OOC in IC. People seem to conflate LRP with NRP for some reason and he just wouldn't shut the fuck up about how "this is an LRP server" and to "stop being cringe"(for calling him out on this shit).
Wine actually brought up that he thought the name was very OOC too, and I agreed with him but didn't say too much further than that.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #682499

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:28 pm I ahelped the guy because he was being very deliberate and annoying about his OOC in IC. People seem to conflate LRP with NRP for some reason and he just wouldn't shut the fuck up about how "this is an LRP server" and to "stop being cringe"(for calling him out on this shit).
Wine actually brought up that he thought the name was very OOC too, and I agreed with him but didn't say too much further than that.
Indeed. They made a bunch of comments regarding "LRP" and "MRP". This was clearly unacceptable. Then I noticed their name was, for me, to OOC
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #682500

Good job, WineAllWine. Good response time too.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #682501

Armhulen wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:36 pm Good job, WineAllWine. Good response time too.
I'm not sure if you;re being sarcastic but either way thanks!
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #682502

I'm not! Every time an admin cracks down on any naming policy they get shit flung their way.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #682504

Armhulen wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:41 pm I'm not! Every time an admin cracks down on any naming policy they get shit flung their way.
Then let me retroactively upgrade my thanks to "sincere-class"
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #682506

AND THANK YOU TIMBER FOR THE BACKUP
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #682512

he will be permabanned in under 2 months (being generous), he is an NRP shitter
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #682513

Should've gone with Muh Dick
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #682515

Man Tinnence
Manny Tinnence
Main Tinnense
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #682521

TheLoLSwat wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:22 am Man Tinnence
Manny Tinnence
Main Tinnense
I'd unironically use any of these names, but especially the first and second. All of my human names are thinly disguised jokes in this vein.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #682522

Vali D. Hunter vs PowPow Urgamer
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #682524

You joke, but I play Anne Taggart.

Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #682534

10/10 thread title

its another god damn naming policy appeal
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #682548

Pointless to be honest. Maintenance could very well be a last name for a spaceman that’s worked in several generations in maintenance, sorta like “Carpenter” or I don’t know “Smith” except the spaceman equivalent.

I really don’t find the name excessively OOC personally.
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #682557

John Maint sounds fine for much the same reasons as mentioned by sinful

Also oh boy this sure won't spark another name policy discussion where I wonder if someone is going to have a go at me about my character name.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #682560

Let's begin a name policy discussion where we have a go at NecromancerAnne's character name.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
junkgle
Byond Username: Junkgle

Post by junkgle » #682561

TheLoLSwat wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:10 am he will be permabanned in under 2 months (being generous), he is an NRP shitter
everytime he talks its like 50% ooc

im willing to give it a month
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #682562

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 am John Maint sounds fine for much the same reasons as mentioned by sinful

Also oh boy this sure won't spark another name policy discussion where I wonder if someone is going to have a go at me about my character name.
Sheness Hollow should be banned because it is a name as hollow as its player (it's a joke)
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #682564

qwq
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #682567

Using a perfectly fine name to dunk on someone who's giving you all the OOC in IC you need in the world to ban them is silly
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
conrad

Post by conrad » #682570

ekaterina wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:14 pm Names based on professions are something that exists in real life. "John Smith" and "John Potter" are fine but "John Maintenance" is not? "John Maintainer" ought to be, following the earlier pattern.
In any case, this is inconsequential. I don't think the admin should've bothered a player over something as insignificant as the guy having a slightly wacky name on LRP.
Those are old timey names when people didn't have family names, for old timey professions, on a different cultural era.

Show me one Johnny Conductor and one Jamey Coder, please.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #682571

Like, the bizarreness of saying that "Gay Johnson" and "Anne Tagg" is not a noRP joke name but "John Maintenance" is is weirding me out
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #682578

Honestly Anne Tagg is fun. just put a little effort into the thing
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #682579

conrad wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:07 am
ekaterina wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:14 pm Names based on professions are something that exists in real life. "John Smith" and "John Potter" are fine but "John Maintenance" is not? "John Maintainer" ought to be, following the earlier pattern.
Those are old timey names when people didn't have family names, for old timey professions, on a different cultural era.

We've got 540 years of history for it to happen in. What's to say that someone didn't break away from an abusive family, and wondering how to make a name for himself, named himself after his profession like the folks of yore.

Honestly, the only reason I'm even half-way on it is because "John (Thing)" is like, a Meme. John Nanotrasen, John Halo for Master Chief, etc etc. The surname itself is fine.
conrad

Post by conrad » #682587

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:22 am We've got 540 years of history for it to happen in. What's to say that someone didn't break away from an abusive family, and wondering how to make a name for himself, named himself after his profession like the folks of yore.
Did you purposively not read the "a different cultural era" bit?

Also, if someone said this in an ahelp instead of "NUH-UH MUH NAME NNNGHHHHH" I might even consider it being a valid name.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #682591

Hi my name is Rick Station. You might have met my brother Joe Skyscraper.

I can see the intentions with this one and from the lenses of said intentions it's just so close to being acceptable. It's almost there.
Hugs
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #682594

Rick Station is a bit OOC because the game is literally called "Space Station," but "Joe Skyscraper" sounds totally fine. I don't think anyone is running into Joe Skyscraper and having their immersion ruined.
Spoiler:
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #682600

Misdoubtful wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:29 pm Hi my name is Rick Station. You might have met my brother Joe Skyscraper.
Why does your brother have a different last name than you?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #682601

Manny Tinnence
Main Tinnense
Effortful names
datorangebottle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:12 am You joke, but I play Anne Taggart.
Effortful name
ekaterina wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:14 pm "John Maintenance"
John + Game area name
Effortless, NRP
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #682602

The wackier your name is the more effort you should put in to masquerade it. Get funky with it. I named a prisoner "Briggs Jail Prisonperson" and others loved it. I didn't choose "John Prisoner" or "John Perma" (though I will admit Perma is kind of a cool last name)
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #682603

i was gonna make a post but it would just be me parroting arms opinion because its good
respect (let him do his thing)
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #682605

If Arm decided to make a full on naming policy proposal I honestly believe everyone would like it and it would just work without any problems.
Hugs
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #682606

All I'm saying is that everyone says my names are redonkulous so I can't rule on naming policy but I've only ever been jannied on one name.
(It was Jimmy Pneumonoultramicroscopicsillicovulan if you're wondering, for a plasmaman, and honestly that was a very fair intervention)
conrad

Post by conrad » #682607

Armhulen wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:20 pm
Manny Tinnence
Main Tinnense
Effortful names
datorangebottle wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:12 am You joke, but I play Anne Taggart.
Effortful name
John + Game area name
Effortless, NRP
The pit of arm has point mhm mhm.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #682608

conrad wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:02 pm
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:22 am We've got 540 years of history for it to happen in. What's to say that someone didn't break away from an abusive family, and wondering how to make a name for himself, named himself after his profession like the folks of yore.
Did you purposively not read the "a different cultural era" bit?

Also, if someone said this in an ahelp instead of "NUH-UH MUH NAME NNNGHHHHH" I might even consider it being a valid name.
Nah, I'm just on the belief that the cultural era part doesn't matter. As Humanity went galactic, different planets and the like would develop their own cultures (compare modern culture to 500 years ago, and there's a big shift! Hell compare modern to even 100-200 years ago!) sure, there isn't really any modern culture that still operates like that (I think? I might be wrong, I'm not particularly worldly), but given said timegap and the creation of new cultures, both as combinations of others, and not, I don't think it factors in too much.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #682623

conrad wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:07 am Those are old timey names when people didn't have family names, for old timey professions, on a different cultural era.

There is a 550 year gap between the in-game date and present date. A similar time gap between when those names came into common use and today.

Best not assume history is a continuous development forward and upward from point A to B, but more of a wibble-wobble of innovation and decline, varying throughout the globe. And, in the hypothetical future of living in space, galactic scale variance of circumstance could result in this practice re-emerging. Especially with the advent of cloning tech and temporal weirdness.
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #682643

I don't think we should be defending extremely low effort names. Silly names are fine but at least put some effort into it
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #682645

Dumb last name.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #682663

he could've come up with a better name in time it took him to appeal this
► Show Spoiler
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #682670

he was killed, and three days later, he rose (somewhere in corinthians i think)
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #682683

Send him to an NRP server where he belooooooooongs already.............
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #682688

i was today years old when i realized anne taggart is a play on words
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #682720

oooooooh because antag ooooh ok i get it now
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #682785

Armhulen wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:20 pm
Manny Tinnence
Main Tinnense
Effortful names
Effortful name
John + Game area name
Effortless, NRP

EXACTLY THIS. The first four names are fun, they bring me joy. "John maintenance" brings me no joy
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #682786

In accepting I might be wrong, I'm saying John Maintenance can keep his name until a conclusion is reached. This is a civil case, not a criminal one
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #682797

Anne T. Aggings
Enee Meese
Haith Opee
Cyan Test
Kai P. Tann
Cee "Emmy" Oh
Parin Edic
Techni Cargman
Vi R. Jist
Bart Ander
Randall Keith Orton
Jenn E. Ticcs

come up with a few guys this is fun
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #682810

TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:08 am Anne T. Aggings
Enee Meese
Haith Opee
Cyan Test
Kai P. Tann
Cee "Emmy" Oh
Parin Edic
Techni Cargman
Vi R. Jist
Bart Ander
Randall Keith Orton
Jenn E. Ticcs

come up with a few guys this is fun
I already did.
:evil:

Bo Tannis

Kendrickorium wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:45 pm i was today years old when i realized anne taggart is a play on words
this brings me physical pain.