LOCKING THE THREAD BECAUSE BAWHOPPEN IS TOO POWERFUL

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)

WHAT NAME SHOULD IT BE

The Reverse Revolver Wasn't Enough, Zybwivcz Wants Himself Banned 💀
13%
The Reverse Revolver Wasn't Enough, Zybwivcz Shoots Himself Again
18%
Everyone Watch Zybwivcz Shoot Himself A Second Time Peanut
20%
Zybwivcz Unsatisfied With Life After Shooting Himself In The Face, Does It Again [Peanut]
16%
Zybwivcz Unsatisfied With Life After Shooting Himself In The Face, Shoots Himself In The Face Again
33%

Total votes: 45

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

LOCKING THE THREAD BECAUSE BAWHOPPEN IS TOO POWERFUL

Post by datorangebottle » #682722

Bottom post of the previous page:

I was talking with Kendrickorium about it because I thought I had a funny idea. But now we're both conflicted. Help us decide.
For context.
Last edited by datorangebottle on Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Re: What the hell do we name an incoming peanut thread?

Post by ekaterina » #682971

TheRex9001 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:13 pm
Zybwivcz wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:05 am
Boot wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:41 am So first off you don't need Sechuds to be a Head of personnel, you want them because the moment you see the red w you want to be able to chase them down.
There is an entire game mode where having or not having a sec hud as a head is the difference between winding up a headless corpse in maint and not.
This is just powergaming, you are basing something of x antag rolling. This type of play is really unfun, its like stealing the chaps nullrod because there is a gamemode were its the difference between life and death.
That's different. Sec huds exist in dozens, taking one doesn't harm anyone, but the null rod is unique.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #682972

ekaterina wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:19 pm
Boot wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:41 am So first off you don't need Sechuds to be a Head of personnel, you want them because the moment you see the red w you want to be able to chase them down.
There is an entire game mode where having or not having a sec hud as a head is the difference between winding up a headless corpse in maint and not.
This is just powergaming, you are basing something of x antag rolling. This type of play is really unfun, its like stealing the chaps nullrod because there is a gamemode were its the difference between life and death.
That's different. Sec huds exist in dozens, taking one doesn't harm anyone, but the null rod is unique.
Tell that to me when I latejoin as a sec officer and all the lockers are emptied because the fuckin captain detective and HoP all want their secHUDs
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
scamoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by scamoppi » #682974

can't you just print a sechud and combine it with your sunglasses nowadays?
𓆏 [...]... ([...] [...] [...] [...] [...]?)
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #682977

Its a comparison. The same justification for taking sec huds can be used for null rods, I am sure there are better items to compare if this one flew by.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #682983

BeeSting12 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:21 pm
Tell that to me when I latejoin as a sec officer and all the lockers are emptied because the fuckin captain detective and HoP all want their secHUDs
Been there. Take their regular sunglasses, order the AI to research sec huds (if they haven't yet been researched), print a standalone sec hud and craft sec hud sunglasses.
kawoppi wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:26 pm can't you just print a sechud and combine it with your sunglasses nowadays?
Yes.
TheRex9001 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:36 pm Its a comparison. The same justification for taking sec huds can be used for null rods, I am sure there are better items to compare if this one flew by.
It didn't "fly by", it was refuted by me.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #682985

kawoppi wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:26 pm can't you just print a sechud and combine it with your sunglasses nowadays?
fr? didnt know that. thats p cool
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #682986

Refuted? How? Your point is they are different because sec huds are easier to create, my point is that the justification for taking a sec hud and null rod are the same, its just that one of them is a whole lot more important
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683005

No, it’s not.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #683051

Kendrickorium wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:35 am imagine if you didnt fucking care, and gave people whatever access they wanted, thus enabling CRAZY WACKY SITUATIONS?????? SCENARIOS???? ANTAGS DOING THINGS??? ASSISTANTS DOING GIMMICKS???????????

IMAGINE?????
*bwoink*
"I noticed you gave atmos access to the assistant who used it to build single tanks despite him being wanted, heads are held to a Higher Standard Of Play"

Besides, giving out dangerous access to random people roundstart in ways that fuck over the rest of the station is the captain's job.
TheRex9001 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:13 pm This is just powergaming, you are basing something of x antag rolling. This type of play is really unfun, its like stealing the chaps nullrod because there is a gamemode were its the difference between life and death.
PWRGMING is when you start rounding up assistants roundstart and mindshielding them before there's a single "Viva!" over the radio.

The possibility of having revs being one of three separate possible non-seccie reasons for sechuds to be useful to a hop is not powergaming. Any more than picking up a station-bounced radio early on before there's a comms outage is "powergaming" because you're expecting comms to get bombed or shut down by antags before it has. Is a head taking a pinpointer roundstart powergaming because they're useless except when it's ops or MALF?

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:03 pm How about not trying to optimize your gameplay in a way that eliminates all fun and risk in exchange for your own personal enjoyment
The problem with forming your perspective of the server based exclusively on bored tider mains who spend their rounds breaking shit while waiting for an antag roll is that anything that doesn't enable their sort of "gameplay", like changing access and replacing id cards as HoP, doesn't matter.

And tiders usually don't use the HoP because when they want access to an area they just break in, or steal someone else's id.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #683053

Zybwivcz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:09 am
Kendrickorium wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:35 am imagine if you didnt fucking care, and gave people whatever access they wanted, thus enabling CRAZY WACKY SITUATIONS?????? SCENARIOS???? ANTAGS DOING THINGS??? ASSISTANTS DOING GIMMICKS???????????

IMAGINE?????
*bwoink*
"I noticed you gave atmos access to the assistant who used it to build single tanks despite him being wanted, heads are held to a Higher Standard Of Play"

Besides, giving out dangerous access to random people roundstart in ways that fuck over the rest of the station is the captain's job.

And tiders usually don't use the HoP because when they want access to an area they just break in, or steal someone else's id.
stop playing on manuel

wait, whats that scrubby? he plays on sybil? you mean he's just making shit up about being boinked for giving access? interesting
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683054

Manuel would also dunk whatever admin who did that ruling.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683056

zyb, why the fuck are you even still playing a social game when you just aren't a social person? do you have even a single lasting relationship you've built within this community? who the hell is left here that will support you?

why the fuck are you even still here?

go play tf2 or something

you've got a fucking toxic codependency on this server and it's not good for anybody

you need to find a community that isn't sick of your shit man. this ain't it. this ain't progress
Spoiler:

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #683067

Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:32 am damn
damn looks like it's roast night at the inventory am i right guys
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683073

i know it's harsh but that's the point. we've been here before already and literally nothing has changed. why are you so hell-bent on playing on a server whose community you refuse to interact with in the first place? like, you understand what being in a community entails, right? that you meet people and socialize? that you give a shit about other people? that when you've been here for more than two years it's a really fucking bad sign that nobody knows anything about you, and when they do it's only because of shit like this? this isn't cs:go matchmaking. this isn't some halo 3 lobby. these are the same people hanging out in a place they like every day and you're supposed to talk to them and hang out

do you just not feel comfortable with all the shit we give you at this point? surely at this point it's time to throw in the towel and find a community you're actually compatible with?
Spoiler:

Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #683077

Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:06 am that when you've been here for more than two years it's a really fucking bad sign that nobody knows anything about you, and when they do it's only because of shit like this? this isn't cs:go matchmaking. this isn't some halo 3 lobby. these are the same people hanging out in a place they like every day and you're supposed to talk to them and hang out
Completely disagree with this outlook. While ss13 is a more social focused video game, it's still just a video game. You don't need to be a social person to roleplay. You don't need to interact with the ss13 community to enjoy the game. You don't need to make friends or hang out with people. It's a video game. People will take what they want from it and you can't fault them for that.
It keeps getting worse!?
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683078

Mice World wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:46 am Completely disagree with this outlook. While ss13 is a more social focused video game, it's still just a video game. You don't need to be a social person to roleplay. You don't need to interact with the ss13 community to enjoy the game. You don't need to make friends or hang out with people. It's a video game. People will take what they want from it and you can't fault them for that.
while tg is on ss13, tg is not ss13. tg is a community. it's a bunch of people who like the same thing getting together to have fun. you don't get to "just play the game." when you turn up on the servers here you are opting in to interact with our community. that's how it works. that's how it's always worked for any small game community, and we are a small game community.

if the community doesn't know you're there it's one thing. that's fine. you can do that. just be good and stay towards the back. if that's what makes you comfortable, that's fine. we want to welcome you.

when the only interactions the community has with you are negative drama shitfests like this, then you are not compatible with the community and you should find a different one. that's what i mean by toxic codependency. we treat zyb like shit, zyb treats us like shit. and yet, for some reason, he still wants to be here. it's not a healthy relationship. it's an abusive one. this shit is like your ex from college trying to drag their way back into your life over and over again. at some point you've just got to fucking say no. find something else.
Spoiler:

Mice World

Post by Mice World » #683079

Actually, I'm going to retract this. My post is essentially just me disagreeing on what counts as community interaction, and that's fairly pointless to discuss.

Original post below because it feels wrong to just delete it.
► Show Spoiler
It keeps getting worse!?
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #683084

It does not really matter because Zybwivcz fails on both counts.
He fails to interact with the community outside and inside ss13 positively.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #683085

Ugh the anticipation is killing me for this peanut

It won't live up to the hype
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #683088

its a diceroll whether its an admin complaint on timberpoes (lol) or if its a ban appeal
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683089

Mice World wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:29 am This is just my personal view but by playing you're not really interacting with the community (You are at a surface level, because you're playing with them. But I don't consider that to be "community interaction"). I don't really see a round on tg being much different than a match on a tf2 community server.
While you're definitely more likely to end up fully interacting with the community because of its size, it's not automatic. Communities come from similar people enjoying a topic, the topic itself doesn't become the community.
The difference between a TF2 community server and TG is the sheer time investment required. If you're going to be here for 200+ hours (which is going to happen if you have any real interest in what we host), you should be involved in the community in some capacity, even if that capacity is as small as "people recognize me in game and greet me now" or "this guy taught me how to do ordnance, that's pretty cool."

It's a weird place on the spectrum of "required community engagement to be fun." I was an admin for a very technically-oriented Garry's Mod server for a very, very long time. Community was functionally all that mattered there. TG falls a bit short of that, but the time investment is still there, and I firmly believe that by virtue of being a real, living, breathing human being you must end up becoming more involved in the community if you have a strong interest in the game.

Why?

It's 'cuz you're human. You're a social animal, dummy. You're really going to learn to play an atmospherics simulator without asking questions--without making social connections? Not gonna happen. You don't get to just pick pyro and W+M1. You gotta L E A R N.

So anyway, here's this guy with 3,744 logged hours on our servers and he's still drumming up bullshit like this
Spoiler:

dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683090

I think zyb doesn't have to be permabanned but he rather needs a sec ban and a heads ban. I think he ought to be able to not play sec at that point. Or maybe he's already had enough chances. Seems like he doesn't understand what people are talking about when they complain concerning him and that ahelping shit kind of pisses me off. Don't get people noted if you spend 20 minutes fuckin with them. Goddamn.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683091

Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:13 am
Mice World wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:29 am This is just my personal view but by playing you're not really interacting with the community (You are at a surface level, because you're playing with them. But I don't consider that to be "community interaction"). I don't really see a round on tg being much different than a match on a tf2 community server.
While you're definitely more likely to end up fully interacting with the community because of its size, it's not automatic. Communities come from similar people enjoying a topic, the topic itself doesn't become the community.
The difference between a TF2 community server and TG is the sheer time investment required. If you're going to be here for 200+ hours (which is going to happen if you have any real interest in what we host), you should be involved in the community in some capacity, even if that capacity is as small as "people recognize me in game and greet me now" or "this guy taught me how to do ordnance, that's pretty cool."

It's a weird place on the spectrum of "required community engagement to be fun." I was an admin for a very technically-oriented Garry's Mod server for a very, very long time. Community was functionally all that mattered there. TG falls a bit short of that, but the time investment is still there, and I firmly believe that by virtue of being a real, living, breathing human being you must end up becoming more involved in the community if you have a strong interest in the game.

Why?

It's 'cuz you're human. You're a social animal, dummy. You're really going to learn to play an atmospherics simulator without asking questions--without making social connections? Not gonna happen. You don't get to just pick pyro and W+M1. You gotta L E A R N.

So anyway, here's this guy with 3,744 logged hours on our servers and he's still drumming up bullshit like this
There are no friends on the internet, dude.
Like I understand your point except the talk of this being a social thing because there's not one person you shouldn't be willing to backstab online if they start acting out of line. That's actually how you maintain a healthy community too by not playing favorites. Because you don't actually know them.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #683093

Neither Dirk nor Scriptis is entirely right or entirely wrong, it's somewhere in the middle

I started typing this but I am too lazy to elaborate further
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683094

Mice World wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:46 am
Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:06 am that when you've been here for more than two years it's a really fucking bad sign that nobody knows anything about you, and when they do it's only because of shit like this? this isn't cs:go matchmaking. this isn't some halo 3 lobby. these are the same people hanging out in a place they like every day and you're supposed to talk to them and hang out
Completely disagree with this outlook. While ss13 is a more social focused video game, it's still just a video game. You don't need to be a social person to roleplay. You don't need to interact with the ss13 community to enjoy the game. You don't need to make friends or hang out with people. It's a video game. People will take what they want from it and you can't fault them for that.
Mice World wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:29 amI don't really see a round on tg being much different than a match on a tf2 community server.
You have a few hundred hours of "game content" before you burn through the mechanics and jobs and are left bored. Now what?
Well what else is there? Roleplay. Socializing. Getting involved in little stories. Maybe making the little stories. Community. That's inexhaustible.

Sometimes players start out for mechanics then learn and enjoy the social roleplay component as they go. But the really bad players, never burn out of the purely mechanical silent playstyle. When they join a round it's like they're joining the lobby of an FPS game. There's no roleplay involved, in fact lots of them make fun of roleplay, there's no soul, just sucking mechanical fun out and then disconnecting in the halls when they get bored or don't feel like playing. When these players haunt the servers for thousands and thousands of rounds without getting burned out, that's when the anvil has to be dropped on their heads. They're usually underaged anyways.

That's not to say you have to be social. But there's a reason you play the game on the servers instead of a localhost. You don't need to go HRP mode either to roleplay -- I firmly believe shovefights and playful scuffles are a form of roleplay. Literally anything that involves acting as a character, in some storyline of the round, as opposed to a soulless husk that stands in for you gaming OOCly, is roleplay.
Spoiler:
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683095

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:20 am ...

Like I understand your point except the talk of this being a social thing because there's not one person you shouldn't be willing to backstab online if they start acting out of line. That's actually how you maintain a healthy community too by not playing favorites. Because you don't actually know them.
What? I don't think you're getting me.

You maintain a healthy community with strong player-moderation relations. You make friends. You encourage other people to make friends. You discourage people from being antisocial.

If you don't know your own community, if your community doesn't interact with itself, you don't have a community. You have a dead Minecraft server you posted on every server board on the internet and nobody who wants to turn up because you're doing it wrong.

Most communities get spun up because of four or five friends just wanting to play some video games.

No friends on the internet? Backstab anyone you can? Man, that's some depressing shit. Who hurt you?
Spoiler:

dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683098

Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 am

You maintain a healthy community with strong player-moderation relations. You make friends. You encourage other people to make friends. You discourage people from being antisocial.

If you don't know your own community, if your community doesn't interact with itself, you don't have a community. You have a dead Minecraft server you posted on every server board on the internet and nobody who wants to turn up because you're doing it wrong.

Most communities get spun up because of four or five friends just wanting to play some video games.

No friends on the internet? Backstab anyone you can? Man, that's some depressing shit. Who hurt you?
Right so if you have an admin friend who's abusing the rules and called in a favor as your friend, would you let it slide?
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683099

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:45 am ...

Right so if you have an admin friend who's abusing the rules and called in a favor as your friend, would you let it slide?
You're aware that you can be angry at people you're friends with, right?

You alright, man?
Spoiler:

vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683100

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:45 am
Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 am

Dirk, I don't think that's what they mean. Like, some admins play minecraft or whatever together, because they meet in the game and become friends. I, in fact, have made friends here, and just because we are friends doesn't mean I don't backstab them, because I do. I have played some Terraria with some members that I meet here, because they are cool and fun! Again, I still kill them, and that almost makes it funner. Anyway, that's just my two cents, tell me if I am off the mark Scriptis. <3
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683101

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:45 am Right so if you have an admin friend who's abusing the rules and called in a favor as your friend, would you let it slide?
Friendships aren't transactional like that dude. You don't "call in a favor as your friend." People have something called integrity too.
Spoiler:
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683102

Sinful and I are reading Dirk here as "treat everyone as strangers and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" as a community moderation policy which is just, so far off-base from any mindset I had even considered even slightly reasonable. I dunno man, I'm at a loss.

I don't know why I'm being asked leading questions about corruption, either.

Maybe I'm just tired.
Spoiler:

dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683103

Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:50 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:45 am ...

You're aware that you can be angry at people you're friends with, right?

You alright, man?
Yeah I'm fine I just don't see how it's a smart decision to make friends online. Leaving aside the people I've seen self destruct online over the years... your role as an admin is to met out discipline for rules valuations.
But I don't know. You're right that the questioning could come across as leading so I'm not going to go down further that road since I haven't seen or heard anything amiss regarding that so I'm not going to try to put you on the back foot.
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683104

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:09 am Yeah I'm fine I just don't see how it's a smart decision to make friends online. Leaving aside the people I've seen self destruct online over the years... your role as an admin is to met out discipline for rules valuations.
My role as an admin is to maintain the community, not blindly enforce the rules. This is a clubhouse, not a courtroom.

As for making friends--look, the medium is irrelevant. We're still just regular people. I've seen just as many people self-destruct in the real world as I have on the internet. The same rules apply otherwise; don't follow the shady guy into the alleyway. But the whole "trust nobody, and carry a gun at all times just in case" thing is just... it doesn't work, man. It really doesn't. If you can find me a single small game community that isn't dead that operates like that, I'd truly be impressed.
Spoiler:

dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683106

Well you created the zyb shitsec metric so I guess I can't look a gift horse in the mouth by trying to poke holes in the thought process that spawned that.
If nothing else but because of how much that bothered him.
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #683107

You can ask, man.
  • I was a player at the time.
  • Zyb attempted to wordlessly arrest me in maintenance.
  • I cuffed him and attempted to de-escalate.
  • He refused to talk to me for twenty minutes while getting an admin involved and constantly trying to break out of his cuffs to kill me for stopping his wordless arrest.
  • Immediately after the admin had me let him go, the first words out of his mouth were "kill Brick" (read: me).
  • He opened an admin complaint against the admin that didn't side with him as an OOC stopgap to an IC issue.
  • I created that shitpost of a metric to very boldly demonstrate how hopeless of a player he was at the time: "the fraction of the words you say that are just the names of antags."
There's your thought process

edit: I dug up the complaint for you as well
Last edited by Scriptis on Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683108

In hindsight it was a mistake not preemptively banning him from hop or any other head roles for that matter. Should've been foreseeable that he would've played hopcurity.
Furthermore I think restricting him to assistant only would be funny. Might make him more mad than the permaban.
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683109

We ain't minority report, preemptively banning people is bad, change my mind.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683110

Zybwivcz playing assistant security without gamer gear and getting lynched repeatedly would be funny. More funny than perma'ing him in my opinion.
Also ban him from random names.
We can rehabilitate him, lads.
Mice World

Post by Mice World » #683112

Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:13 am The difference between a TF2 community server and TG is the sheer time investment required. If you're going to be here for 200+ hours (which is going to happen if you have any real interest in what we host), you should be involved in the community in some capacity, even if that capacity is as small as "people recognize me in game and greet me now" or "this guy taught me how to do ordnance, that's pretty cool."
I agree with this. It would be easier to enjoy the game when you're a member of the community. I won't dispute that having friends makes games a lot more enjoyable. However, I mainly disagreed with your original post that made it seem like not interacting with the community was a BAD thing.
Scriptis wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:13 am It's 'cuz you're human. You're a social animal, dummy. You're really going to learn to play an atmospherics simulator without asking questions--without making social connections? Not gonna happen. You don't get to just pick pyro and W+M1. You gotta L E A R N.
In my time learning ss13 I made one friend. They noticed I was new and helped me with a few things in-game. However, 95% of everything I know is self-taught. From medbay, chemistry, botany etc. I just made a localhost and tested things. This probably isn't the best way to learn, but I enjoyed it.

Anyway, I do agree with what you're saying. I just read "that when you've been here for more than two years it's a really fucking bad sign that nobody knows anything about you" and strongly disagreed with it. Maybe because it applies to me? I don't know.
sinfulbliss wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:32 am You have a few hundred hours of "game content" before you burn through the mechanics and jobs and are left bored. Now what?
Well what else is there? Roleplay. Socializing. Getting involved in little stories. Maybe making the little stories. Community. That's inexhaustible.
To me roleplaying should feel natural. Ideally it's not something you need to go out of your way to interact with. I don't think roleplaying or socializing in-character is interacting with the community, it's just a part of playing the game.

As I said before, this is just me disagreeing on what "interacting with the community" is. To me that's something like making a forum post or talking with people on the discord. Not doing things in-game that you should already be doing.
It keeps getting worse!?
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683115

Mice World wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:16 am
Anyway, I do agree with what you're saying. I just read "that when you've been here for more than two years it's a really fucking bad sign that nobody knows anything about you" and strongly disagreed with it. Maybe because it applies to me? I don't know.
Going to cosign this. People don't have to know you on a friendly level for you to be a good player.
You do want to avoid becoming an infamous player, which was zybwivcz's problem.
But I still think he can be fixed by making him wear a scarlet letter so to speak rather than reaching for a ban evasion perma.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #683118

vect0r wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:58 am We ain't minority report, preemptively banning people is bad, change my mind.
This isnt a preemptive ban, he got permabanned for evading a permaban
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #683119

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:01 am Zybwivcz playing assistant security without gamer gear and getting lynched repeatedly would be funny. More funny than perma'ing him in my opinion.
I somewhat agree, I dont know much of Zybs history but they might one day figure out more fun ways to play this, though their behaviour in this thread does not give me great confidence
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683120

TheRex9001 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:55 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:01 am Zybwivcz playing assistant security without gamer gear and getting lynched repeatedly would be funny. More funny than perma'ing him in my opinion.
I somewhat agree, I dont know much of Zybs history but they might one day figure out more fun ways to play this, though their behaviour in this thread does not give me great confidence
He can always be permabanned later.
I'm going to keep beating this dead horse until it's deadest:
Appearance ban with the middle name 'Zyb' in his forced static name so everyone knows who he is.
Job banned into the assistant zone.
Also banned from ahelping.
He'll either be fixed or I'll be entertained seeing him manage to get himself banned again for trying to play assistant cop.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683122

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:01 am
TheRex9001 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:55 am
He can always be permabanned later.
I'm going to keep beating this dead horse until it's deadest:
Appearance ban with the middle name 'Zyb' in his forced static name so everyone knows who he is.
Job banned into the assistant zone.
Also banned from ahelping.
He'll either be fixed or I'll be entertained seeing him manage to get himself banned again for trying to play assistant cop.
It would be funny but he’d probably just continue to shit up the place in boring-but-not-rulebreaking ways so I genuinely don’t see why he should be given a 16th chance.
Spoiler:
PengisBungholius
Byond Username: PengisBungholius

Post by PengisBungholius » #683123

https://youtu.be/VGIlJhMAGyk this is the one (1) in game interaction I know that I've had with zyb. Round 202885, zyb is roundstart HoP on an awfully-started round where everyone is on the escape shuttle and gets teleported to the AI sat. My suit gets stripped, my ID and PDA stolen by the chaplain in the video, and I eventually teleport onto station transformed into a mostly-nude flyperson.

12:52:47 SAY Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) "I'll just give you maint" (62, 123, 3) Head of Personnel's Office
12:53:12 GAME Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) added Armory to an ID card belonging to Josiah Harrison.
12:53:12 GAME Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) added Armory to an ID card belonging to Josiah Harrison. (62, 123, 3) Head of Personnel's Office
12:53:13 GAME Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) added Security to an ID card belonging to Josiah Harrison.
12:53:13 GAME Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) added Security to an ID card belonging to Josiah Harrison. (62, 123, 3) Head of Personnel's Office
12:53:14 GAME Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) added Holding Cells to an ID card belonging to Josiah Harrison.
12:53:14 GAME Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) added Holding Cells to an ID card belonging to Josiah Harrison. (62, 123, 3) Head of Personnel's Office
12:53:16 GAME Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) added Power and Engineering Equipment to an ID card belonging to Josiah Harrison.
12:53:16 GAME Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) added Power and Engineering Equipment to an ID card belonging to Josiah Harrison. (62, 123, 3) Head of Personnel's Office
12:53:46 EMOTE Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) points at Some Shitass's ID Card (Roboticist) (62, 123, 3) Head of Personnel's Office
12:53:50 SAY Zybwivcz/(Josiah Harrison) "you're welcome" (85, 132, 3) Captain's Office

is what zyb was clicking at ~36 seconds
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #683127

You can also print sec huds once they get the research, but it is a pretty cheap and early research node and as the HoP you have the reseearch app on your PDA and can research it yourself, then you can just craft your glasses into sec glasses.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #683129

The real problem was Zyb giving himself holding cells access round start and then gulaging people as HoP.
The reasons why he wasn't "caught" were because he was randomnaming, making it harder for others to identify him, and that admins aren't usually aware because they don't get pinged when he performs a change of access or are aware of his notes.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683130

Archie700 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:33 am The real problem was Zyb giving himself holding cells access round start and then gulaging people as HoP.
The reasons why he wasn't "caught" were because he was randomnaming, making it harder for others to identify him, and that admins aren't usually aware because they don't get pinged when he performs a change of access or are aware of his notes.
He should be appearanced banned to fix the randomnaming.
What I'm proposing is a degradation of zyb to the point that there is no practical way he can interfere with antagonists, yet his compulsion to play the game will keep him around.
A clockwork zybwivcz.
Job ban him to assistant only, force him to have a static name, give him the pacifist trait, and the galactic uncommon trait. Watch him to see if he keeps playing under these circumstances. He can be rehabilitated.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #683131

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:41 am
Archie700 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:33 am The real problem was Zyb giving himself holding cells access round start and then gulaging people as HoP.
What I'm proposing is a degradation of zyb to the point that there is no practical way he can interfere with antagonists, yet his compulsion to play the game will keep him around.
A clockwork zybwivcz.
Job ban him to assistant only, force him to have a static name, give him the pacifist trait, and the galactic uncommon trait. Watch him to see if he keeps playing under these circumstances. He can be rehabilitated.
"Encourage him to roleplay by (among other things) removing his ability to talk with other players"
This might be one of the dumbest suggestions I've read on player rehabilitation.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #683133

ekaterina wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:49 am
A clockwork zybwivcz.
"Encourage him to roleplay by (among other things) removing his ability to talk with other players"
This might be one of the dumbest suggestions I've read on player rehabilitation.
agreed with ekaterina here, are you rehabiliting the man or subjecting him to such a miserable time that he may as well be perma'd anyways??
respect (let him do his thing)
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #683134

ekaterina wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:49 am
A clockwork zybwivcz.
He can still talk to the curator.