Least controversial map pr nut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Least controversial map pr nut

Post by TheRex9001 » #683297

Bottom post of the previous page:

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/75039
Rip kilo, I never really liked you so #ripbozo
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Re: Least controversial map pr nut

Post by Kendrickorium » #683397

i have yet to see anyone provide an argument about why taking out a small map designed to push a low pop amount of players together and replacing it with a much larger one is good for the game

I mean, i honestly love all the maps (tram is questionable), and appreciate the what-must-be HUGE amount of time and effort in making and maintaining them, but like, if you want to axe a map that had a very specific purpose, at least replace it with a map that fills the same role, it doesnt take an experienced game designer to know that.

is there some kind of limit on maps we can have in rotation? why not just add birdshot in?
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #683398

oranges wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 am
BlueMemesauce wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:24 pm He wrote all of that just to give like a single actual argument. I already said this earlier in this thread, that is not enough of an argument to remove kilo specifically.
Clearly reality disagrees with you
no, his statement doesnt fit your reality, so clearly it's wrong, amirite?
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #683400

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:39 am is there some kind of limit on maps we can have in rotation? why not just add birdshot in?
Yes, eob talks about this in the pr. It is literally 2 out of the 5 paragraphs in the pr body.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683401

san7890 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:54 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:46 pm
san7890 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:27 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:41 pm I'm current running off of the (pretty logical, imo) assumption that if I try to make changes to the map that conflict with its core design(being a barely functional derelict) they'll just get stopped. I'd rather not waste my time and effort on that.
i hope you understand that if you can prove that the core design is non-functional (probably after a few months) and demonstrate a better solution that it can be pre-empted.
this is such an insanely tedious ask of someone who doesn’t even know how to map to begin with. map changes and “prove” them over several months? how do you even prove something to be “nonfunctional”? it’s not like things are just nonworking, it’s more like the design just lends itself to them breaking often or creating unpleasant game experiences for various reasons (atmos, powergrid, etc), and suggesting a random player make a PR to change the design (if they could even do that to begin with) is completely impractical
this entire game is random players with zero experience (other than general knowledge of how code works, artistic skills - nothing really specific to DM though) trying to make a difference, as such i do not understand your point what-so-ever. they actually realized they cared about something rather than rant about it in peanuts or whatever. it is not impractical or tedious at all because that is how literally everyone who contributes has started or will invariably end up. things will only happen of your volition if you choose to make it happen, that is the universal constant. otherwise you are left in the dust.

PR justification is not some esoteric art either, you just need to show that you have thought about it or understand the game to a point where you understand that something is intuitively wrong and convince a maintainer (and more importantly: everyone else) that you're in the right. if they don't agree they're required to explain why. if your PR gets closed: you can try another way of balancing it, figure out a better way of proving your point to someone else in the future, or just move on with your life. play bloons or scroll twitter or something if you really can't tolerate a map man. the reason why i say "demonstrate impracticality" is because you are expected to defend your PR in some way, and if you start off strong, you'll end up strong. you can read more on this here https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... st-process and here https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... ur-changes

EDIT: I stumbled across this while reading older replies in coding general:

This was a while ago, but this is someone who I have never heard of putting in the time over something they care about and formatting their data to illustrate a point as to why they didn't agree with a PR. people care a lot about these things and are willing to go through tedium to prove a point.
not everyone is in this community to code/map. it’s ok to be here just to play too. obviously there will be complaints and changes that players like or dislike. saying “cope and scroll twitter” is a completely useless response, why not try to engage with the feedback?

kilo was a better map than birdshot is by far. even EOB implied he liked it better but went with birdshot because it had active maintainers and upkeep. so yeah obviously the players are going to be upset that a worse map replaced a better map to “future proof” it for whatever features might need to be squeezed in or updated in 6 months from now. why wouldn’t they?
Spoiler:
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #683403

san7890 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:27 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:41 pm I'm current running off of the (pretty logical, imo) assumption that if I try to make changes to the map that conflict with its core design(being a barely functional derelict) they'll just get stopped. I'd rather not waste my time and effort on that.
i hope you understand that if you can prove that the core design is non-functional (probably after a few months) and demonstrate a better solution that it can be pre-empted. this is an open-source project and people do not retain final authority forever (their opinions will be held into account of course), but if a failing is demonstrated and acted upon i don't see why it should not be merged.

i.e.: northstar not having ruins by design is okay because ruins aren't a core function of the game (and should be de-emphasized). however not having features that you need to complete core functions of the base game in a map can be demonstrated to be a failing and should be acted upon.
I think you misunderstood me.
I'm saying that the core design of Birdshot is that it is supposed to look like a derelict held together with duct tape, not that its core design is objectively flawed. I don't want to analyze that philosophy to try and prove that its flawed. My complaints about it are purely from an aesthetic angle, which is a matter of opinion. I also don't want to put in a bunch of effort coming from an angle that's hard to argue from, just to get all that effort canned.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Wolfmoy
Byond Username: Wolfmoy

Post by Wolfmoy » #683404

Kilo deserved it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #683405

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:39 am is there some kind of limit on maps we can have in rotation? why not just add birdshot in?
We do have a maximum amount of maps we can have in rotation because we have to maintain each map in rotation
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683408

Armhulen wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:51 am
We do have a maximum amount of maps we can have in rotation because we have to maintain each map in rotation
Why not just remove it when it's not rotationable anymore?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #683411

brother that sentence doesn't make any sense, are you talking about removing maps when they fall behind some versioning system, and then readding them when they're past it again?
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #683414

Out of repo map-loading @Cyberboss
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #683417

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:40 am
oranges wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 am
BlueMemesauce wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:24 pm He wrote all of that just to give like a single actual argument. I already said this earlier in this thread, that is not enough of an argument to remove kilo specifically.
Clearly reality disagrees with you
no, his statement doesnt fit your reality, so clearly it's wrong, amirite?
yes, that is what having the rank of headcoder implies
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #683418

TheFinalPotato wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:34 am brother that sentence doesn't make any sense, are you talking about removing maps when they fall behind some versioning system, and then readding them when they're past it again?
I think they're saying "why don't we just leave Kilo to rot until it stinks and then remove it"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #683420

it sounds plausible but the reality is if the map doesn't compile the PR can't get merged because the code integration tests will fail.

and it being working or not is a single code change away so the idea of leaving it to rot is kind of redundant because it's not a tree and it doesn't fall apart slowly over time it just stops working in an instant.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #683434

Should have dropped Meta tbqh famalam
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #683444

The mapper who used to maintain it is working on a multi-Z version of this anyway.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #683445

I feel like one of the few people that absolutely hate multi-z level stuff since it just makes makes maps more tedious to navigate, splits up the playerbase, and constantly leads to shit like on icebox where the blob 95% of the time sets up at atmos/lower science and takes out all the stairs.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #683447

RIP Kilo. You will be missed.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #683450

Kilo is bad but there's a reason Birdboat got removed from rotation before. It's not like there was a ton of people who argued to keep it the last time this happened, I remember most people agreeing the map sucked and most people I've seen talk about the new iteration also don't like the map. I don't think the design flaws in the original have been really addressed in this new version (the layout which is central to its identity is ass to play unless you're a nuclear operative or similar). I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting axed a while down the line.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #683451

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:01 am I feel like one of the few people that absolutely hate multi-z level stuff since it just makes makes maps more tedious to navigate, splits up the playerbase, and constantly leads to shit like on icebox where the blob 95% of the time sets up at atmos/lower science and takes out all the stairs.
Apparently the blob doing that is actually the intended gameplay because "If it's using Multi-Z, so should you" even though blob kinda hardcounters Multi-Z by instantly destroying anything dropped onto it.

So, y'know.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683455

Archie700 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:47 am The mapper who used to maintain it is working on a multi-Z version of this anyway.
wait really? what happens when it's done then?

is there a possible world where we have like.. meta/delta/kilo/birdshot/northstar/tram? that would be kind of hilarious
Spoiler:
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #683456

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:01 am I feel like one of the few people that absolutely hate multi-z level stuff since it just makes makes maps more tedious to navigate, splits up the playerbase, and constantly leads to shit like on icebox where the blob 95% of the time sets up at atmos/lower science and takes out all the stairs.
Just an icebox issue in my experience, northstar has loads of ways to reach blobs no matter the z-level and tram has way more ladders and massive overhangs
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #683457

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:16 am
Archie700 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:47 am The mapper who used to maintain it is working on a multi-Z version of this anyway.
wait really? what happens when it's done then?

is there a possible world where we have like.. meta/delta/kilo/birdshot/northstar/tram? that would be kind of hilarious
If we had some sort of mapping help team for features we would still have kilo……
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683459

Kilo was just... so complete. So polished. It was small and compact and every department somehow managed to fit in a tiny space while retaining 100% of its functionality, it was really quite something. The new chapel addition that put the chapel in a transit tube was really cool too. Birdshot is a strict downgrade, but I guess it'll get faster updates? Whoopie...
Spoiler:
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #683466

It's known in mapping-general for a while that Okand is (slowly) working on zKilo.

If you have any questions or suggestions, raise them with her.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #683467

kawoppi wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:55 pm wait kilo has been around for nearly 3 and a half years?
has it really been that long already
we removed it for I think a year or so? because it had a real nasty crash bug linked to shuttle movement
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #683468

Unrelated:

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683472

Archie700 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:42 am It's known in mapping-general for a while that Okand is (slowly) working on zKilo.

If you have any questions or suggestions, raise them with her.
WHAT
EOB wrote:As for why the decision was made to take Birdshot over Kilo, I believe it is better for us to have a map that has room to grow and an active creator
EOB wrote:the map has consistently proven to be problematic for new code additions due to its scale, and it receives little maintenance outside of the bare essentials as a result
Is there something I'm missing here... Okand said he'd be free to add the new things that needed to be added.

It's like downgrading from 1080p to 360p because 360p has "room to grow."
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #683484

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:23 pm
EOB wrote:As for why the decision was made to take Birdshot over Kilo, I believe it is better for us to have a map that has room to grow and an active creator
EOB wrote:the map has consistently proven to be problematic for new code additions due to its scale, and it receives little maintenance outside of the bare essentials as a result
Is there something I'm missing here... Okand said he'd be free to add the new things that needed to be added.

seems pretty explicit they meant "let old kilo die while i work on the multi-z version in my free time"
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683485

MMMiracles wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:54 pm

seems pretty explicit they meant "let old kilo die while i work on the multi-z version in my free time"
what map will multi Z kilo replace hmmmmmmm?
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #683489

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:57 pm

runtime
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #683562

OKAND said it not me, time to remove Delta
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #683625

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:57 pm

Probbably birdshot, since it has all the same "difficult to keep maintained because its smaller than the game is designed for" problems as kilo so by the time Okand has a multi z kilostation ready (faaaar into the future) map devs will probbably have gotten bored/tired of it the same way they got bored/tired of current kilo
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #683626

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:50 pm ...because it doesn't have an atmos-to-SM pipe...
Dw I got u fam https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/75091
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683638

Thunder11 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:18 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:50 pm ...because it doesn't have an atmos-to-SM pipe...
Dw I got u fam https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/75091
nice bro
now that the map is public im gonna make issue reports
Spoiler:
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #683676

Birdshot is funny
Hugs