They're coming for our batons!! [code peanut tag to not annoy armhulenn]

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

They're coming for our batons!! [code peanut tag to not annoy armhulenn]

Post by datorangebottle » #683322

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/75063
I look forward to the day where stuns are no longer the king of combat and people are free to use whatever melee weapon they want.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Re: They're coming for our batons!! [code peanut tag to not annoy armhulenn]

Post by blackdav123 » #683328

I wish but there are too many holes in this one to pass
Weston Echard on Sybil
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #683329

items around the station should be just as deadly as most of our other weapons
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #683330

like a crowbar only does 5 damage. that shit should hit just as hard as a toolbox
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #683331

How creative! As the representative of the Security Officers' Union™, I support this PR!
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #683334

pretty good pr, wonder how it would have played out. Stealth antags are kinda oversaturated at this point, we could do with more banging.
► Show Spoiler
stairmaster
Byond Username: Stairmaster

Post by stairmaster » #683335

based???????
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #683378

Striders13 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:34 pm pretty good pr, wonder how it would have played out. Stealth antags are kinda oversaturated at this point, we could do with more banging.
Its tmd on Sybil, so we Will see
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #683435

I think a lot of modern games do things like this with stuns but they make it percentage of health related

So there's a complex equation to be written here with dynamically reducing stun duration based on how hard the hit was and their overall health.

Like if someone's pretty close to dead the stun should be easier to reduce compared to full health because the damage is a larger part of their hp

Tldr: love the concept actually, just needs tinkering
AlamoTurtle
Byond Username: Alamo Turtle

Post by AlamoTurtle » #683437

iwishforducks wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:10 pm items around the station should be just as deadly as most of our other weapons
Agreed. Fuck stun combat, you either go the full distance to cuff a person or you whack each other with sticks until someone goes down. I understand a toolbox hitting harder, but weapon stats should be more unique imo. Toolboxes do 20 damage but attack slightly slower each click, since they heavy. Shit like that, aside from "oh, you can become brain-damaged and get a concussion if RNG hates you" or only other wound bonuses. I say get creative with weaponry!
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #683438

I still thing we should have swing mechanics
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #683462

Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:28 am I still thing we should have swing mechanics
1000000% agree! Imagine how fun the game would be if you didn't have to complete 20 osu stages to land a single hit on someone.
Also: We could then get in weapon characteristics. That fireaxe deals a lot of damage, but it's attack speed is a lot slower! Fricking amazing....
And I'm sure that we can get a janky version running really quickly: If we are to hijack the code for shooting a weapon, and make melee weapons a one-tile projectile basically, then we'd already have a rough version ready. Simple stuff!

With codified regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683464

Euughhh… Swing combat looks so gross though. You ever seen it in SS14? It’s just people swinging and then spamming their movement keys to minimize the time they’re next to their target for the hit. It looks really braindead.

At least with click combat, accuracy is important and it’s not trivial to hit in melee range against a target moving around quickly (as it should be!). Yeah the OSU thing is somewhat true but only in very specific types of fights like toolboxes. With batongs or normal combat you don’t have to spam click all that much.
Spoiler:
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #683465

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:34 am Euughhh… Swing combat looks so gross though. You ever seen it in SS14? It’s just people swinging and then spamming their movement keys to minimize the time they’re next to their target for the hit. It looks really braindead.

At least with click combat, accuracy is important and it’s not trivial to hit in melee range against a target moving around quickly (as it should be!). Yeah the OSU thing is somewhat true but only in very specific types of fights like toolboxes. With batongs or normal combat you don’t have to spam click all that much.
With batons it's literally the reverse where it's one-hit -> WIN.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683470

Archie700 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:34 am Euughhh… Swing combat looks so gross though. You ever seen it in SS14? It’s just people swinging and then spamming their movement keys to minimize the time they’re next to their target for the hit. It looks really braindead.

With batons it's literally the reverse where it's one-hit -> WIN.
Yeah, a lot of combat is one-hit-win with stuns, but IMO that’s totally fine. The fight becomes about how you can minimize the chances of getting hit while maximizing the chances you hit them, placement and stuff becomes more important since if you get clicked once it’s over.

Exceptions are in lethal melee vs lethal melee (ie toolbox), there can be some spam clicking there, but that’s pretty rare to see in an actual round since usually stuns are involved in some capacity (including slips and shoves).
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683471

Like, the meta will develop regardless of what happens to combat. The only time it becomes an issue is when there’s no counter at all to something. Telebaton gets close to that. Tots could probably use an anti baton implant, something like adrenals, although now they have the snatcher prod so they should at least be on equal footing against batongs if not better.
Spoiler:
LeekiLoku
Byond Username: Lokuthewise

Post by LeekiLoku » #683474

If you played Sybil after this testmerge, its terrible it lessens ALL things that stun you. Such as getting shoved twice, the time it takes is halfed. Also since mansus grasp does a little bit of damage, it doesnt stun them for a little it just puts them on the ground. I played a cult round yesterday and its the SAME thing with the cult hand.

THIS MERGED RUINED MY LIFE.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683476

LeekiLoku wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:28 pm If you played Sybil after this testmerge, its terrible it lessens ALL things that stun you. Such as getting shoved twice, the time it takes is halfed. Also since mansus grasp does a little bit of damage, it doesnt stun them for a little it just puts them on the ground. I played a cult round yesterday and its the SAME thing with the cult hand.

yeah this sucks. it should only apply to stamcrit, not hardstuns
Spoiler:
LeekiLoku

Post by LeekiLoku » #683477

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:35 pm yeah this sucks. it should only apply to stamcrit, not hardstuns
I mean im all for changing stuns BUT NOT LIKE THIS.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #683478

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:08 am Yeah, a lot of combat is one-hit-win with stuns, but IMO that’s totally fine.
The whole point of the PR is that it is NOT fine. It sucks. Coders accepted that with tasers and how you could kill an entire nuke team with a single taser, which made every other ranged weapon obsolete, save for VERY specific circumstances.
Now melee stuns are on the chopping block. Tying stuns together with some kind of resistance is a clever idea, in my opinion.

Regardless of that, you're here typing away on your keyboard "Yooo BRO swing combat looks so stupid!!" and "they just run at eachother without doing anything!!!" dude, excuse me, have you ever looked at what our current combat looks like? You're not seriously believing that this is any better, are you?
Simple, FUN swings make melee very simply more fun. Even if you still don't hit shit, at least your character is doing SOMETHING. At least you hitting a square makes this dangerous for your opponent to step in. I think the balancing and creativity that gets opened up with this system is VERY SIMPLY worth implementing.

With simple regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #683480

The dream is swing based combat yeah. Click spam is hell, and it'd be amazing to move away from it. (also it'd make stuff like click delay feel not horrid)
Frankly I refuse to believe anyone who tells me ss13 combat is fun. I think you're lying.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #683483

I’m spending the next six months desperately hoping someone else picks up swing combat because I don’t want to do it myself but I can see myself slowly getting sucked into that plug hole
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #683486

Jacquerel wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:35 pm I’m spending the next six months desperately hoping someone else picks up swing combat because I don’t want to do it myself but I can see myself slowly getting sucked into that plug hole
u should do something else instead that’s awesome and cool swing combat would be a massive ginormous overhaul

you’d need to touch like. EVERY melee weapon in the game. and balance them all. could you imagine..
Spoiler:
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #683487

Good. Fuck batons. Encourage lethals. I want the station to be a warzone.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #683490

Stuns determining every fight is shit. So I'm all for it. Though one issue is if players find work around that make non lethal arrests more difficult then sec are going to be far more likely to resort to lethals.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #683491

im not entirely convinced swing combat is the solution but i think it would be interesting to try out
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #683492

LeekiLoku wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:28 pm If you played Sybil after this testmerge, its terrible it lessens ALL things that stun you. Such as getting shoved twice, the time it takes is halfed. Also since mansus grasp does a little bit of damage, it doesnt stun them for a little it just puts them on the ground. I played a cult round yesterday and its the SAME thing with the cult hand.

Mansus grasp's damage doesn't reduce it's own stun. If you hit them after mansus grasping them however, that will likely cause them to get up because mansus grasp stun isn't very long
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #683500

instead of shoving the officer to disrupt arrests just start punching the guy they are arresting. Then when they question you just say "I thought they were bad why else would you be arresting them?"
Image Image
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683501

It's gonna be so funny watching revs attack each other to get rid of the stun...
The more I think about this PR, the worse it sounds, even if it is funny as fuck.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #683502

LeekiLoku wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:38 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:35 pm yeah this sucks. it should only apply to stamcrit, not hardstuns
I mean im all for changing stuns BUT NOT LIKE THIS.
kek

but really, i like the pr as an honest attempt but not one that will improve the game due to how it adds SO MUCH RELIANCE on cuffs.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #683503

forcing everyone who was stun combatting away to also cuff people is not going to be the solution, if the cuff dependence was solved the pr would be far better at keeping things not so stunny
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #683515

vect0r wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:47 pm It's gonna be so funny watching revs attack each other to get rid of the stun...
The more I think about this PR, the worse it sounds, even if it is funny as fuck.
You have to do about 20 damage to unstun someone from stam crit so it's not as effective as you'd think. if you start doing that you'll very quickly end up in a scenario where sec just beats you all to death because you got rid of all your health by unstunning each other.
I'm also not commited to that .5 x damage reduction. I already reduced that amount for regular stuns to .35 x damage because most of them are pretty short.
Aggressive grabs also exist and can be chained off most stuns and won't be interrupted by damage which I think is pretty interesting.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #683524

I am not personally convinced that the Aggressive Grab Meta is going to be preferable (it's certainly clumsier) but we should see what happens I guess
LeekiLoku

Post by LeekiLoku » #683644

SkeletalElite wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:47 pm

Mansus grasp's damage doesn't reduce it's own stun. If you hit them after mansus grasping them however, that will likely cause them to get up because mansus grasp stun isn't very long
Nope i tested it, different paths slightly damages the affected person. Meaning they will not get stunned whatsoever.

FIKOU OR SOMEONE PLEASE GET THIS SHIT OFF OF SYBIL!!
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #683647

LeekiLoku wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:47 pm

Nope i tested it, different paths slightly damages the affected person. Meaning they will not get stunned whatsoever.

wyci
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #683678

LeekiLoku wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:47 pm

The PR hasn't been test merged since monday morning Pacific Time

As far as I can tell you are also wrong about the mansus grasp, here is a video where I use mansus grasp with path of the blade (the only one that increases the grasps damage to mobs to my knowledge)

https://youtu.be/96pLY6rAX0I

As you can see, it takes 5 seconds for the knockdown to end and 1 second for the mob to standup which is the base stun duration of mansus grasp

Edit:

I should also mention that it doesn't really matter much in the end since the PR is closed now.
Maybe If I think of a way to improve it I'll try again another time.
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #683697

I'm wondering if it's something that should be a separate coefficient that gets modified by some sort of damage curve.

i.e, you took x damage in the last y seconds so your stuns are reduced by z% because of adrenaline.