starsector update disscusion thread

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

starsector update disscusion thread

Post by Boris » #684195

current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Re: starsector update disscusion thread

Post by TheLoLSwat » #684199

mid game
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684201

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684203

Boris wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:37 pm It's out. It's honest to god out.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/2023/05/05 ... a-release/
you get used to updates being a year to a year and a half long after about a decade
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #684204

TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:14 pmmid game
Common “TheLoLSwat” L
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #684205

Adam Klein wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:47 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:14 pmmid game
Common “TheLoLSwat” L
im sorry i shouldnt have spread negativity, it was a moment of weakness...
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #684321

I really like the Invictus dreadnought. I tend to make battle lines and it seems like it would be really good for that. It seems like it would also be good in station assaults but I haven’t been able to try it yet.

I made mirrored versions of it (one with four large missiles, and another with four fighter bays) will probably upload that to the Starsector mod forum later today.

Sadly, the executor class, as expected, is complete dogshit. I honestly think it might be worse than the pirate Atlas or the Luddic Prometheus. Both of those aren't great but they at least have the advantage of being cheap to field and are still somewhat useful. The executor overfluxes almost immediately with its default loadout. Absolute F tier garbage. The other lion guard ships look nice, though.

The Pegasus is fairly good. Four large missiles is nothing to scoff at. I just wish the Perseans had a capital carrier to go with it. Seems like the Perseans would use lots of fighters.

Also, the Persean League theme is nice and the Luddic Shrine theme is heavenly.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #684347

I just got into starsector and it's really fun! Waiting for mods to update now.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #684365

im trying really hard to get into starsector but im getting confused and im failing all my combat encounters
respect (let him do his thing)
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684369

kinnebian wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:22 am im trying really hard to get into starsector but im getting confused and im failing all my combat encounters
what do you mean by failing
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #684370

Kendrickorium wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:00 am
kinnebian wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:22 am im trying really hard to get into starsector but im getting confused and im failing all my combat encounters
what do you mean by failing
dying
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684372

okay, how are you dying?
scamoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by scamoppi » #684405

yeah it can be a bit frustrating, the game pissed me off so much at first and i'm still not exactly sure why it got better
with enough time and savescumming i started to recognize the names of the ships that would kick my ass and the ones that i could actually take on in a fight
sometimes it's just better to run away
if you hover over a fleet it also gives you a vague indication of their strength compared to yours so you could use that to decide whether to engage or not
𓆏 [...]... ([...] [...] [...] [...] [...]?)
mindstormy
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Mindstormy

Post by mindstormy » #684409

I also really want to get into this game but struggle for some reason. It's been a year or two since I've tried. Perhaps I should give it another go.
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #684412

omega taught me now im the best
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #684413

The game is fun, and I reccomend it so much, but mods add the little bit of spice needed to finish the game right.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #684415

Adam Klein wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:25 pm The game is fun, and I reccomend it so much, but mods add the little bit of spice needed to finish the game right.
I just wish the big league modders weren't so moronic and constantly causing drama*. I know nearly all modders are social rejects with a desperate need to feel validated, but at least other communities tend to clamp down on that shit ASAP since it sets a precedent. If only Alex put his foot down the first time modder drama happened. As it currently stands, the big league modders are essentially on a special social level where they can get away with shit that other users would be perma'd for. Alex buries his head in the sand and prays to Ludd that the drama ends as fast as possible (but will immediately step in to discipline the victim if the victim of the modding cabal calls one of their accusers a meanie word.)

Starsector modders trying to not cause drama and actually be functional human beings challenge (IMPOSSIBLE):

*such drama includes (but is not limited to):
* IP loggers
* Having malicious code to crash your game if the user is using a mod the modmaker doesn't like.
* Having malicious code to intentionally break mods they don't like.
* Adding code to nerf mods they don't like in the event that the user is using said mod.
* Adding code to make their special snowflake faction be immune from weapons from mods without warning.
* Mass elitism, using the term pl*yers unironically, fart huffing. Large mod makers will regularly insult regular users on the discord, but if a user insults a big mod maker it's an almost immediate ban.
* Slander of smaller modmakers to the point of them being forced out of the community because the big modders had a vendetta against the modder. If a big mod maker goes after you, you're fucked. The moderators will figure out some reason to kick/ban them, even if it requires digging through someone's post history.
* Accusing smaller mod makers of stealing art/designs/sounds/ect. and then all dogpiling on said modmaker because all the big league modders (and forum/discord moderators) are buttbuddies (fun fact this has happened like, five times now despite insufficient evidence. Some guy got booted from the community because THREE PIXEL LINES looked similar to someone else's weapon).

Looking at you in particular, NIA TAHL, YOU FUCK.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #684426

Really making the most of that played hour requirement with this thread.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #684427

Vekter wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:31 pm Really making the most of that played hour requirement with this thread.
you guys, vekter is right, we are being very exclusive
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #684437

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:42 pm
Adam Klein wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:25 pm The game is fun, and I reccomend it so much, but mods add the little bit of spice needed to finish the game right.
I just wish the big league modders weren't so moronic and constantly causing drama*. I know nearly all modders are social rejects with a desperate need to feel validated, but at least other communities tend to clamp down on that shit ASAP since it sets a precedent. If only Alex put his foot down the first time modder drama happened. As it currently stands, the big league modders are essentially on a special social level where they can get away with shit that other users would be perma'd for. Alex buries his head in the sand and prays to Ludd that the drama ends as fast as possible (but will immediately step in to discipline the victim if the victim of the modding cabal calls one of their accusers a meanie word.)

Starsector modders trying to not cause drama and actually be functional human beings challenge (IMPOSSIBLE):

*such drama includes (but is not limited to):
* IP loggers
* Having malicious code to crash your game if the user is using a mod the modmaker doesn't like.
* Having malicious code to intentionally break mods they don't like.
* Adding code to nerf mods they don't like in the event that the user is using said mod.
* Adding code to make their special snowflake faction be immune from weapons from mods without warning.
* Mass elitism, using the term pl*yers unironically, fart huffing. Large mod makers will regularly insult regular users on the discord, but if a user insults a big mod maker it's an almost immediate ban.
* Slander of smaller modmakers to the point of them being forced out of the community because the big modders had a vendetta against the modder. If a big mod maker goes after you, you're fucked. The moderators will figure out some reason to kick/ban them, even if it requires digging through someone's post history.
* Accusing smaller mod makers of stealing art/designs/sounds/ect. and then all dogpiling on said modmaker because all the big league modders (and forum/discord moderators) are buttbuddies (fun fact this has happened like, five times now despite insufficient evidence. Some guy got booted from the community because THREE PIXEL LINES looked similar to someone else's weapon).

Looking at you in particular, NIA TAHL, YOU FUCK.
sounds like early ss13 development
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #684439

Vekter wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:31 pm Really making the most of that played hour requirement with this thread.
Local admin brings policy drama into chill starsector thread. (Not clickbait)
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684446

yeah, the mod community is a bit clown world

i just try to enjoy the shit they put out