Detective gets noted for killing subverted borgs peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Detective gets noted for killing subverted borgs peanut

Post by ekaterina » #684608

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34015
Rule 4 wrote: Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists
Make rule 4 matter again!
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Re: Detective gets noted for killing subverted borgs peanut

Post by BlueMemesauce » #684609

technically subverted borgs arent antangists
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #684610

Cyborgs are conversion antags.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #684611

If the borgs are actively delaminating the SME, leading you to think that the AI is malf, why wouldn't you kill the second cyborg? Especially when borg combat is a game of rocket tag, where whoever hits the stun button first wins?
This didn't deserve a note.
BlueMemesauce wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:15 pm technically subverted borgs arent antangists
They were acting like antags by delamming the engine, though.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #684619

Whether someone is technically an antagonist is completely irrelevant. The rules clearly state that someone acting like an antag gets treated like one. Borgs delamming the SM is acting like an antag, and it's not an unreasonable assumption that they are all subverted or malf and considering an engi borg can kill you with a single click, it's absolutely a justifiable reaction to flash and kill.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #684623

Bad note. Remove it.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #684624

kieth.PNG
kieth.PNG (7.33 KiB) Viewed 10503 times
Forum mods. Law one. Move the thread immediately.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #684625

datorangebottle wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:04 pm kieth.PNG
Forum mods. Law one. Move the thread immediately.
respect (let him do his thing)
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #684626

>a detective inspected a borg holding a multi-tool and killed them after mistaking it for a stun arm (mixed up sprites).

skill issue lol
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #684847

Local detective mistakes sprites and kills borg over it, lol
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #684853

This is a weird one. On one hand, I don't think we should be punishing players for falling subject to the inherent paranoia SS13 causes because, y'know. That's the fucking point of the game. You can't trust anyone but yourself.

On the other, as I've said many times before, notes aren't a punishment. They're just a record of discussion. This really boils down to whether or not that discussion needed to happen to begin with and whether or not it's worth keeping record of it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #684860

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 pm This is a weird one. On one hand, I don't think we should be punishing players for falling subject to the inherent paranoia SS13 causes because, y'know. That's the fucking point of the game. You can't trust anyone but yourself.

On the other, as I've said many times before, notes aren't a punishment. They're just a record of discussion. This really boils down to whether or not that discussion needed to happen to begin with and whether or not it's worth keeping record of it.
This is a note of medium severity, it's going to be taken into account when further issues happen.
Notes of medium severity at the least are a record of warning. The appeal is whether the warning was valid given what happened.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684867

Archie700 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:53 pm
Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 pm This is a weird one. On one hand, I don't think we should be punishing players for falling subject to the inherent paranoia SS13 causes because, y'know. That's the fucking point of the game. You can't trust anyone but yourself.

This is a note of medium severity, it's going to be taken into account when further issues happen.
Notes of medium severity at the least are a record of warning. The appeal is whether the warning was valid given what happened.
It would only ever be taken into consideration in another situation where the player killed someone for little to no valid reason. I'm not going to post their note history, but if it matters, this is the only note they've ever gotten of this kind of issue, so I doubt it'd lead to anything significant.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #684870

Notes arent a punishment but there is a decade-long history of notes being used again and again as ammunition to prove that a player is a Bad Player who Doesnt Deserve More Chances and is On Their Way Out, implicitly or explicitly, so you can see why people are aggressive about contesting notes they believe to be misleading, incorrect, or unfair.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #684871

Severity is wild west the notes should stand on their own merit vs. "well its low severity so I can put whatever".

If you kill someone by mistake your first prio should be getting them back even if it means you might miss out on catching a criminal or something. Doubly true in the scenario that he wasnt sure if they were subverted/emagged/etc. and uses the information retroactively to justify that kill.

The real metric for notes would be would I want someone to be harsher on the person if they were caught doing something of that same nature. For killing a borg simply because he oocly hallucinated a stun arm and there was another borg that was bad, then proceeded to put that person on low priority when they took them out of the game mistakenly? Absolutely makes sense to put into a note (maybe differently worded but big picture yes). Personally the focus should be on the fact he knew he made a mistake then didnt prioritize fixing it vs. making the mistake (perfectly fine to do in a game where things can happen in a moment notice).

edit: by fix i mean just taking him to robotics (maybe searching robro if he thought foul play via emag or something)
Last edited by Cobby on Wed May 10, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #684872

“Over the past 3 months, you have gotten a note per week. Denied.”
Last edited by vect0r on Wed May 10, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #684880

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 pm On the other, as I've said many times before, notes aren't a punishment. They're just a record of discussion. This really boils down to whether or not that discussion needed to happen to begin with and whether or not it's worth keeping record of it.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:15 pm Notes arent a punishment but there is a decade-long history of notes being used again and again as ammunition to prove that a player is a Bad Player who Doesnt Deserve More Chances and is On Their Way Out, implicitly or explicitly, so you can see why people are aggressive about contesting notes they believe to be misleading, incorrect, or unfair.
Notes are objectively treated like a punishment and constantly used to justify them. I see no reason to continue the 'notes are not a punishment' narrative for as long as this continues to be the case. Notes are a punishment.

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #684884

Cobby wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:44 am It’s a stupid semantics argument in either case unless you are going to argue notes shouldn’t be given out unless you would believe they did something worthy of a punishment aka kick/ban in the first place, which ACTUALLY defeats the point of manual inputting of notes which is to track repeated behavior that explicitly WOULD NOT warrant a kick/ban on its own (aka line towing). Admins can’t be online 24/7 so notes are a way for other admins to know what kind of behavior the person has been involved with in the past without having to ask around to see if you’re a repeated shitler or not every instance with an admin you Previously did not interact with.

The alternative would be hidden logs of your behavior admins would have in like private notepad which wouldn’t be visible to you so I personally am quite glad people can see how their behavior is being reflected and can push back on unfair viewing of situations.
was getting deja vu glad i could bring up a blast from the epast
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684889

datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:37 pm
Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 pm On the other, as I've said many times before, notes aren't a punishment. They're just a record of discussion. This really boils down to whether or not that discussion needed to happen to begin with and whether or not it's worth keeping record of it.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:15 pm Notes arent a punishment but there is a decade-long history of notes being used again and again as ammunition to prove that a player is a Bad Player who Doesnt Deserve More Chances and is On Their Way Out, implicitly or explicitly, so you can see why people are aggressive about contesting notes they believe to be misleading, incorrect, or unfair.
Notes are objectively treated like a punishment and constantly used to justify them. I see no reason to continue the 'notes are not a punishment' narrative for as long as this continues to be the case. Notes are a punishment.
This is objectively not the case, they are often conflated as such because doing something bad can get you a note. We often give people neutral or positive notes for any number of reasons but the primary use of notes is to record that we've talked to somebody about something so that if they do it again we have record of it.
Spoiler:

Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684899

ekaterina wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:03 pm viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34015
Rule 4 wrote: Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists
Make rule 4 matter again!
>Detective gets noted for killing subverted borgs peanut

incredibly deceptive, unfunny, low effort bait thread title

did you start playing here after you got fired from Buzzfeed?
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #684904

I'm gonna start rating peanut titles.
2/10
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #684905

Kendrickorium wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:13 pm incredibly deceptive, unfunny, low effort bait thread title
Deceptive? It is 300% factually accurate. A detective killed a subverted borg and got noted for killing the subverted borg.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #684907

ekaterina wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:39 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:13 pm incredibly deceptive, unfunny, low effort bait thread title
Deceptive? It is 300% factually accurate. A detective killed a subverted borg and got noted for killing the subverted borg.
yes yes, absolute shame about buzzfeed
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #684923

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:51 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:37 pm Notes are objectively treated like a punishment and constantly used to justify them. I see no reason to continue the 'notes are not a punishment' narrative for as long as this continues to be the case. Notes are a punishment.
This is objectively not the case, they are often conflated as such because doing something bad can get you a note. We often give people neutral or positive notes for any number of reasons but the primary use of notes is to record that we've talked to somebody about something so that if they do it again we have record of it.
Positive notes are extremely rare, and are the exception to the rule. Neutral notes just tracking information are also rare- I technically have one of these that marks receipt of an antag token, so they do exist. Far more often, they're used as neutral or worse notes that track that a player was talked to or additionally punished for something, which can and will be used against you when you make a mistake later.

From an admin's perspective, they might be notes. From a player-facing perspective, they're part of whatever punishment you receive, a black stain on your record that WILL be brought up at some point. Something that an admin can point at to tell you that you've made this mistake in the past, so you're getting more shit for it this time(even if it's greyed out).

They're commonly used to justify an appeal denial or upholding otherwise excessive punishment. Even you do this, on occasion, so it bothers me that you push this false narrative that notes are not punishments.

Admin guidelines are not what defines a note as a punishment; it's how notes are used.

Here's some recent times notes were used for the purposes I mentioned above; emphasis mine.
► Show Spoiler
I'm not saying these people don't suck and didn't deserve to be banned at some point. I'm saying that notes are punishments, and I'm tired of people saying that they aren't.

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #684933

datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:31 pm Snip .
I agree completely, notes are (with the positive and neutral ones excluded) definitely a punishment. I don't understand how an admin could argue otherwise, especially such a senior and well-regarded admin as vekter
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684936

WineAllWine wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:55 pm
I agree completely, notes are (with the positive and neutral ones excluded) definitely a punishment. I don't understand how an admin could argue otherwise, especially such a senior and well-regarded admin as vekter
Because I don't know about you, but I don't ban someone just strictly off the sheer number of notes they have, only if there's specifically a series of notes pointing to a pattern of behavior.
Spoiler:

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #684959

if we are REALLY going to have the notes are a punishment meme argument again...

They aren’t a punishment in and of itself but they certainly affect the point at which you do receive punishments. You can still play every role in the game uninterrupted with a note unlike a ban/kick, so it’s either not a punishment at all or a very shitty one.

Ive also said this before but there is no "do not give notes out at all" alternative, you either live with the fact that notes will be used for logging grey behavior or you accept the reality that there will be AT BEST a mental "notes" page that you have no way to contest for future admins to view and make good judgement calls on. Extensive noting is the best case because you can at least see what is being said about you, less noting just means you get discussions in admin channels you cant defend yourself from. Notes are far from a punishment in that regard, they keep the admin thoughts on you transparent and give YOU oversight as to whether they should be contested.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #684963

Cobby wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:35 pm [thing that makes future punishments harsher] is not a punishment
The nerve to call datorangebottle's argument a meme and then proceed to say something like this...
The only meme argument here is yours.

It's a negative condition imposed upon you by an admin as the result of a perceived rule break. It is a textbook example of a punishment.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #684979

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:10 pm
WineAllWine wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:55 pm
Because I don't know about you, but I don't ban someone just strictly off the sheer number of notes they have, only if there's specifically a series of notes pointing to a pattern of behavior.
Obviously I don't and as far as I can tell we have similar levels for banning. But they do influence future punishment and so they are themselves a punishment. Someone tiding too much who has 10 notes about tiding will probably eat a ban and someone tiding too much with no notes will probably get a note. That difference in treatment is the punishment. I don't understand how you have this cognitive dissonance of them not being puniahments
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #685025

datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:31 pm
iain0 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:47 pm Honestly going in to this, if you had a clean enough history and stuff I was considering giving you a nice soft cap of a week for your actions if it seemed like it was just gross stupidity and not really thinking about things. But then I read these additional log segments in more detail, particularly the round start OOC. You know exactly what the risks are. In fact by the sounds of it you got away with something in the previous round that you should have been bwoinked for. Unless you can offer some explanation?

As such, my feeling has shifted, I have no intention of reducing the two week ban, I suspect you may have gotten away with something more here, but for certain you had direct experience of the consequences and knew exactly what could happen, and it did.
Used to justify further punishment. Guy got slapped harder because he had a note history vs not having one.
Factually untrue, they got "slapped harder" because of the OOC chat that indicated they'd done roughly similar things the previous round also resulting in a massive blowout. I didn't really look at the notes I don't think, the point of the notes comment is if it seemed like gross stupidty / not really thinking about things then, notes would be used to see if there was a history of unintended bombings. However that never really came to matter because the OOC chat really sunk the appeal for me.

( I almost certainly looked at the notes at some point, I just dont have much memory of it, I ballparked the 14 day ban as the 'if the explanation sucks' appeal contingency and the OOC log made me leave it as is since there's no real 'oopsie' the 2nd event round )
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #685034

Chimpston, after seeing an Engineering Cyborg dragging a beepsky sabotage the supermatter, and making the observation that telecomms were disabled, was suddenly approached by an Engineering Cyborg dragging a beepsky. Anyone sane in this situation would have immediately killed the cyborg. If they didnt, then the cyborg would have immediately killed them. What a terrible note
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #685038

ekaterina wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:43 pm
Cobby wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:35 pm [thing that makes future punishments harsher] is not a punishment
The nerve to call datorangebottle's argument a meme and then proceed to say something like this...
The only meme argument here is yours.

It's a negative condition imposed upon you by an admin as the result of a perceived rule break. It is a textbook example of a punishment.
its a meme argument because the argument is just a semantics game and gets away from the real point of whether youre actually going to suggest warning-esque notes shouldnt exist (well at least to the player, theyre going to exist in some form regardless of how that argument goes).

I am not above not arguing though just to cause mischief, so ill say its not a negative condition, as you can play the game unimpeded and do everything you could do before you received the note barring the rules that have not changed because you received said note. You dont lose anything unless you want to argue you lose the ability to get the "well this is your first time" get out of jail card, in which case ok fine you win smilingimp. If it is a punishment, it is the worst one ive seen.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #685053

Notes aren't a punishment, they just cause you to get more severe punishments later on if you have a history of notes, even if the incident isn't related to your note.

WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #685074

Lol.

Non-positive notes are a punishment.

If you want an example of a not-punishment, that would be a verbal warning instead of a note. If your note wasn't intended to be a punishment and instead a """record of behaviour""" or """record of an incident that happened""", make it expire so at some future point of time it drops off the player's visible record. If you can't justify an expiring note, it's a genuine punishment.

Admins hate it when players try to weasel their way around or out of the rules. Players hate it when admins do the same thing. Don't be pedants.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #685077

Notes are punishments.

They can range from very, very minor, lame-o punishments that invariably do very little in the long run to damning records that result in a very, very severe ban if whatever happened happens a second time. But they're punishments nonetheless.

HOWEVER

If you get noted, nothing happens. You got reminded that you broke a rule, or acted like a dick (which is breaking a rule), and a future admin now knows about this if you do it again. You're not banned. If you disagree, appeal. If you appeal gets denied (assuming you asked to talk to the managers), that means four people trained to spot this sort of behaviour unanimously agree you fucked up.

When I talk about entitlement in people, this is what I mean.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #685080

conrad wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:55 am Notes are punishments.

They can range from very, very minor, lame-o punishments that invariably do very little in the long run to damning records that result in a very, very severe ban if whatever happened happens a second time. But they're punishments nonetheless.

HOWEVER

If you get noted, nothing happens. You got reminded that you broke a rule, or acted like a dick (which is breaking a rule), and a future admin now knows about this if you do it again. You're not banned. If you disagree, appeal. If you appeal gets denied (assuming you asked to talk to the managers), that means four people trained to spot this sort of behaviour unanimously agree you fucked up.

this would be what you'd get if you asked ChatGPT what it thought about notes and gave it a slightly edgy flavored input
Spoiler:
conrad

Post by conrad » #685083

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:06 am
conrad wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:55 am Notes are punishments.

HOWEVER

this would be what you'd get if you asked ChatGPT what it thought about notes and gave it a slightly edgy flavored input

I appreciate your attempt to contribute to the discussion, but it seems your comment reflects a profound misunderstanding of the topic at hand. Your analogy to ChatGPT's input is amusing, albeit misguided. It's quite intriguing how you manage to convey a sense of edginess while simultaneously lacking any substantial insight or coherent argument. Perhaps next time you could invest more effort in formulating a thoughtful response that contributes meaningfully to the conversation. Best of luck in refining your communication skills!
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #685090

Notes that upon reflection should not have been placed in the first place should not be retained. I do think it can create a bias in interpretation of someones character. Patterned behavior that isn't necessarily rules breaking, but is done excessively or particularly disruptive, can be something someone is punished for, and a note is one of the first ways to establish patterns. If a note is placed, an admin felt it was significant enough that future admins should judge similar incidents with a greater degree of scrutiny. You and I both know that, as we've both been in the system.

As a result, players will view it as something they've now got to tread glass over least this get called into question again, even if they believe they were not in the wrong at the time. A simple mistake that isn't inherently rules breaking costing them the opportunity to make future mistakes is going to make anyone anxious. We're not robots, people fuck up, and notes remain relevant for 6 months. That's a long time for some of our most frequent players.

I don't like the trend currently of not removing notes, only editing them for succinctness. I think it is leaving a lot of mess for future admins to sift through, and seems mostly as a convenience for quickly closing appeals.

They're not weightless, and I think any admin should be careful when placing them and willing to retract them when pressed.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #685091

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:16 pm and notes remain relevant for 6 months.
I don't think thats true? notes are notes, and except for expiring ones they're here forever.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #685093

You shouldn't be looking at notes beyond six months on principle of the fact that it ism't enough time between incidents to not be able to establish a pattern from. If someone is only making a similar mistake every six months, that is a good thing usually. Imagine looking back into someones note history and digging something out from two years ago.

Imagine if an admin told me 'hey, you have a note from 2018 where you used ooc information as a revenant in a new life, so in this instance where [you did the thing as revenant], you can't be trusted to be a revenant so I'll be ghostrole banning you'. That'd be fucking ludicrous. There has been so much administrative churn since then that understanding the context of how and why that happened is beyond the admins comprehension unless that exact same admin had been sitting on that note for 5 years and has come back for a round two. Some notes can even be placed due to policy that no longer exists anymore in the modern era. You really wade into a minefield going too far back.

You may notice in the interface while looking at someones notes that some of them are greyed out or faded based on how old it is. That's why. Only admins see that, since it is a helpful visual guide for what to focus on.

You certainly could try and use older notes, but you somewhat undermine your integrity doing so and I think you'll need a very good reason for why you are arguing on that basis.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #685095

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:36 pm You shouldn't be looking at notes beyond six months on principle of the fact that it ism't enough time between incidents to not be able to establish a pattern from. If someone is only making a similar mistake every six months, that is a good thing usually. Imagine looking back into someones note history and digging something out from two years ago.

Imagine if an admin told me 'hey, you have a note from 2018 where you used ooc information as a revenant in a new life, so in this instance where [you did the thing as revenant], you can't be trusted to be a revenant so I'll be ghostrole banning you'. That'd be fucking ludicrous. There has been so much administrative churn since then that understanding the context of how and why that happened is beyond the admins comprehension unless that exact same admin had been sitting on that note for 5 years and has come back for a round two. Some notes can even be placed due to policy that no longer exists anymore in the modern era. You really wade into a minefield going too far back.

You may notice in the interface while looking at someones notes that some of them are greyed out or faded based on how old it is. That's why. Only admins see that, since it is a helpful visual guide for what to focus on.

You certainly could try and use older notes, but you somewhat undermine your integrity doing so and I think you'll need a very good reason for why you are arguing on that basis.
This isn't how it works. Every decision is on a case-by-case basis. Maybe a note from 18 months ago is relevant. It probably isn't but I'll look at them. I agree with your example that would be ludicrous. But a note like "was creepy towards another player and asked them about their feet". If that happened again I would take the old note into account
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #685099

WineAllWine wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:51 pm This isn't how it works. Every decision is on a case-by-case basis. Maybe a note from 18 months ago is relevant. It probably isn't but I'll look at them. I agree with your example that would be ludicrous. But a note like "was creepy towards another player and asked them about their feet". If that happened again I would take the old note into account
I can agree with particular notes being worth valuing even down the line IF they are relevant to the rules where we have zero tolerance approaches. Rule 8 and such. I definitely should have clarified that myself. Those are zero tolerance for a good reason.

And even then, I'll clarify further and say that it isn't so much as a 'shouldn't', but 'do so with caution'. Because, as you say, all in context. And as I said, it should be very carefully deliberated as to why you're choosing to draw from an older note. You should be able to reason all actions you take as an admin, and using older notes is definitely one where you need to argue with for why you feel it relevant due to the aforementioned establishment of patterns. Admin work with regards to historical behaviors from a player is establishing patterns and addressing the behaviors to course correct for the betterment of the server and probably that player as well. That is why notes are placed at all.
conrad

Post by conrad » #685100

A lot of this arguing would not exist if we didn't assume the other person had a dented skull and/or if we didn't use so many extremes all the time. But that's just me.

kermit_sip.png
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #685101

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:13 pm
WineAllWine wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:51 pm This isn't how it works. Every decision is on a case-by-case basis. Maybe a note from 18 months ago is relevant. It probably isn't but I'll look at them. I agree with your example that would be ludicrous. But a note like "was creepy towards another player and asked them about their feet". If that happened again I would take the old note into account
I can agree with particular notes being worth valuing even down the line IF they are relevant to the rules where we have zero tolerance approaches. Rule 8 and such. I definitely should have clarified that myself. Those are zero tolerance for a good reason.

And even then, I'll clarify further and say that it isn't so much as a 'shouldn't', but 'do so with caution'. Because, as you say, all in context. And as I said, it should be very carefully deliberated as to why you're choosing to draw from an older note. You should be able to reason all actions you take as an admin, and using older notes is definitely one where you need to argue with for why you feel it relevant due to the aforementioned establishment of patterns. Admin work with regards to historical behaviors from a player is establishing patterns and addressing the behaviors to course correct for the betterment of the server and probably that player as well. That is why notes are placed at all.
yeah agree with that, thanks for adding the nuance
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #685123

While talking with someone about the appeal, I realized I was missing a critical piece of the puzzle, the fight logs between Chimpston and the borgs.
I looked through them and...well...

Code: Select all

09:25:56	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) transferred reagents (/datum/reagent/medicine/c2/multiver (5u, 0.75 purity) and /datum/reagent/medicine/granibitaluri (5u, 1 purity)) from the multiver pill (10u) to [biological battery]	(157, 100, 2)	Medbay Lobby
09:25:59	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) transferred reagents (/datum/reagent/medicine/c2/multiver (5u, 0.75 purity) and /datum/reagent/medicine/granibitaluri (5u, 1 purity)) from the multiver pill (10u) to [biological battery]	(157, 100, 2)	Medbay Lobby
09:27:02	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) transferred reagents (/datum/reagent/medicine/c2/multiver (5u, 0.75 purity) and /datum/reagent/medicine/granibitaluri (5u, 1 purity)) from the multiver pill (10u) to [biological battery]	(97, 117, 2)	Engineering
09:27:28	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) transferred reagents (/datum/reagent/medicine/sal_acid (10u, 0.845365 purity) and /datum/reagent/medicine/oxandrolone (10u, 0.940458 purity)) from Brute/Burn (two max) patch to Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) (NEWHP: 34.1)	(76, 115, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:43	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 100)	(77, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:49	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 100)	(77, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:54	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [reinforced wall] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room	(76, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:54	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: 75)	(76, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:55	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [status display] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room	(76, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:55	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: 50)	(76, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:56	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [status display] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room	(76, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:56	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: 25)	(76, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:58	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 25)	(77, 113, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:59	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [floor] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room	(78, 112, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:59	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: 0)	(78, 112, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:59	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room (NEWHP: 0)	(78, 112, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:00	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: -25)	(78, 112, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:00	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room (NEWHP: -25)	(78, 112, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:00	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: -50)	(78, 112, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:06	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [floor] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room	(78, 113, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:06	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: -75)	(78, 113, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:07	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [floor] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room	(78, 113, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:07	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: -100)	(78, 113, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:07	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [floor] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room	(78, 113, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:28:07	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: -100)	(78, 113, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
09:29:03	ATTACK	Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) grabbed *no key*/(Nano Transcend) passive grab (NEWHP: -100)	(77, 114, 2)	Supermatter Engine Room
Draw your conclusions.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #685125

Can we give Archie like a pseudo-admin role or something? Fucking incredibly based, grabbing logs and helping us like this.
Spoiler:

ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #685126

Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 amIf your note wasn't intended to be a punishment and instead a """record of behaviour""" or """record of an incident that happened""", make it expire so at some future point of time it drops off the player's visible record. If you can't justify an expiring note, it's a genuine punishment.
Is chad headmin Timberpoes about to issue a ruling mandating that all notes should have expiration dates?
Wubli BTFO.
Archie700 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:04 pm I looked through them and...well... Draw your conclusions.
How is this critical? The appellant won the fight, old news. Borg fights are won or lost in one click, also old news.
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #685129

ekaterina wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:23 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 amIf your note wasn't intended to be a punishment and instead a """record of behaviour""" or """record of an incident that happened""", make it expire so at some future point of time it drops off the player's visible record. If you can't justify an expiring note, it's a genuine punishment.
Is chad headmin Timberpoes about to issue a ruling mandating that all notes should have expiration dates?
Wubli BTFO.
Archie700 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:04 pm I looked through them and...well... Draw your conclusions.
How is this critical? The appellant won the fight, old news. Borg fights are won or lost in one click, also old news.
Chimpston had stunned the borg beforehand and had time to check what the borg was holding. A 10 second window.

09:27:43 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 100) (77, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:49 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 100) (77, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:54 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [reinforced wall] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room (76, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:54 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: 75) (76, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #685130

Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 am If you want an example of a not-punishment, that would be a verbal warning instead of a note. If your note wasn't intended to be a punishment and instead a """record of behaviour""" or """record of an incident that happened""", make it expire so at some future point of time it drops off the player's visible record. If you can't justify an expiring note, it's a genuine punishment.
Timber, it already does that. They stay there for record keeping purposes but they're hidden and (as far as I know) we've always told people to either not take into account or completely ignore those notes unless they're hyper relevant/serious (like rule 8 breaks or potential blacklist material).

E: For non-admins, this is what it looks like:

Spoiler:

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #685131

Vekter wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:35 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 am If you want an example of a not-punishment, that would be a verbal warning instead of a note. If your note wasn't intended to be a punishment and instead a """record of behaviour""" or """record of an incident that happened""", make it expire so at some future point of time it drops off the player's visible record. If you can't justify an expiring note, it's a genuine punishment.
Timber, it already does that. They stay there for record keeping purposes but they're hidden and (as far as I know) we've always told people to either not take into account or completely ignore those notes unless they're hyper relevant/serious (like rule 8 breaks or potential blacklist material).

E: For non-admins, this is what it looks like:

Is this just an excuse to show off you're one of the twelve prettiest girls?