Detective gets noted for killing subverted borgs peanut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Detective gets noted for killing subverted borgs peanut

Post by ekaterina » #684608

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34015
Rule 4 wrote: Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists
Make rule 4 matter again!
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Re: Detective gets noted for killing subverted borgs peanut

Post by WineAllWine » #685131

Vekter wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:35 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 am If you want an example of a not-punishment, that would be a verbal warning instead of a note. If your note wasn't intended to be a punishment and instead a """record of behaviour""" or """record of an incident that happened""", make it expire so at some future point of time it drops off the player's visible record. If you can't justify an expiring note, it's a genuine punishment.
Timber, it already does that. They stay there for record keeping purposes but they're hidden and (as far as I know) we've always told people to either not take into account or completely ignore those notes unless they're hyper relevant/serious (like rule 8 breaks or potential blacklist material).

E: For non-admins, this is what it looks like:

Is this just an excuse to show off you're one of the twelve prettiest girls?
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #685132

Vekter wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:16 pm Can we give Archie like a pseudo-admin role or something? Fucking incredibly based, grabbing logs and helping us like this.
Archie700 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:04 pm While talking with someone about the appeal, I realized I was missing a critical piece of the puzzle, the fight logs between Chimpston and the borgs.
I looked through them and...well...
Draw your conclusions.

Apply to be an admin my dude
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #685134

WineAllWine wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:51 pm
Vekter wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:16 pm Can we give Archie like a pseudo-admin role or something? Fucking incredibly based, grabbing logs and helping us like this.
Archie700 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:04 pm While talking with someone about the appeal, I realized I was missing a critical piece of the puzzle, the fight logs between Chimpston and the borgs.
I looked through them and...well...
Draw your conclusions.

Apply to be an admin my dude
NO PLEASE DON'T DRAG ME THERE I DON'T WANNA
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #685136

WineAllWine wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:49 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 am If you want an example of a not-punishment, that would be a verbal warning instead of a note. If your note wasn't intended to be a punishment and instead a """record of behaviour""" or """record of an incident that happened""", make it expire so at some future point of time it drops off the player's visible record. If you can't justify an expiring note, it's a genuine punishment.
Timber, it already does that. They stay there for record keeping purposes but they're hidden and (as far as I know) we've always told people to either not take into account or completely ignore those notes unless they're hyper relevant/serious (like rule 8 breaks or potential blacklist material).

Is this just an excuse to show off you're one of the twelve prettiest girls?
No? All my notes are the same color, which is note hidden at all. I might need to double check, but seems like fading is an admin thing.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #685137

vect0r wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:08 pm No? All my notes are the same color, which is note hidden at all. I might need to double check, but seems like fading is an admin thing.
It is admin facing only. For players, you just see all of your notes with no separation. This was explicitly developed as a method to help admins see just the notes that are still relevant and not older than a certain period. Normally, showing off admin facing only stuff might be considered a breach, but I feel like it's important players understand how we see your notes and what actually factors into a ban for them to better understand how our job works.
WineAllWine wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:49 pm Is this just an excuse to show off you're one of the twelve prettiest girls?
I don't need to brag, I already know it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #685146

Vekter wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:19 pm
vect0r wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:08 pm No? All my notes are the same color, which is note hidden at all. I might need to double check, but seems like fading is an admin thing.
It is admin facing only. For players, you just see all of your notes with no separation. This was explicitly developed as a method to help admins see just the notes that are still relevant and not older than a certain period. Normally, showing off admin facing only stuff might be considered a breach, but I feel like it's important players understand how we see your notes and what actually factors into a ban for them to better understand how our job works.
Ohh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were telling Timber how it looks for non-admins, and how for us they faded, but you are just showing us non-admins how it looks for admins.
Sorry for the misunderstanding!
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #685148

"Admins hate it when players try to weasel their way around or out of the rules. Players hate it when admins do the same thing. Don't be pedants."

The in-game panel is the only place this happens. It doesn't represent the most accurate picture of how we access notes in all circumstances.

So many admin decisions are made on the Discord or via reference to tgdb. The Discord bots that can retrieve note histories don't do this. The tgdb pages don't do this. Admins will happily flick through reams of 6+ month old notes and drag them up at some future point behind the curtain.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #685151

show the rest of that god damn window
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #685153

if you do something I verbally warned you not to do, you do it again, and you get punished for it longer than you normally would because I warned you not to do it, by your logic that warning is also a punishment because it directly impacted the result you received.

This is the best example of why notes are NOT a punishment, but i will concede a misuse of the system can certainly make them equivalent. That does NOT mean the system itself is punishing, you are going to be "marked" anyways, the system simply keeps admins honest about how they are painting players and avoids admins with colorful memories having to retell what happened because they wrote the facts already (when used properly). Doubly true when players can appeal these recollections.

Also interesting thread here

Notes have a common sense "expiry", they should not have to be hard deleted to prevent an admin from saying that the note is no longer relevant especially when we can visually differentiate old v recent notes. Headmins should be stepping in and providing some more common sense if that is the case. Unless there is a technical aspect they should be logged especially for ones that have much more grey than "warned - IC in OOC". Despite the thread I linked from ages ago, I am very much against notes being hard deleted simply because there would still be a chance the admin remembers loosely the situation, and I would rather the recollection be contested with "well its not in the note YOU wrote" vs. "well its your word against mine" assuming I am able to have access to the conversation (I wont because they asked about me in adminbus).

I know this happens because of that one Sticky complaint ages ago well he looked like a certified goober because the guy who was complaining was well known to be obnoxious but everypony either gave him verbal warnings or expiring notes so when an admin stepped in the guy had no logged history. I dont remember the specifics but i sincerely doubt anyone actually wanted to perform the activity of verifying claims from either side over the course of many rounds-days-etc. simply because everyone involved believed they couldnt possibly note the guy because its really bad.

On that topic notes easily refer the admin/player to WHEN this interaction occurred so it makes it much more easier to get logs for the situation. Expiring notes that actually get deleted from any sort of viewing is not the play there either.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #685156

Heck the adminpm convo is the actual punishment vs. the note you receive, you cant play the game while having to talk to the admin. You can play the game just fine if you have 1 or 2 or 3 or 4... notes on you so long as you dont break the rules that apply just as much to those without notes as it does to those that do
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #685160

Cobby wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:05 pm Heck the adminpm convo is the actual punishment vs. the note you receive, you cant play the game while having to talk to the admin. You can play the game just fine if you have 1 or 2 or 3 or 4... notes on you so long as you dont break the rules that apply just as much to those without notes as it does to those that do
I would rather talk to an admins and not get a note then play the game and just get a note.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #685161

vect0r wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:24 pm
Cobby wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:05 pm Heck the adminpm convo is the actual punishment vs. the note you receive, you cant play the game while having to talk to the admin. You can play the game just fine if you have 1 or 2 or 3 or 4... notes on you so long as you dont break the rules that apply just as much to those without notes as it does to those that do
I would rather talk to an admins and not get a note then play the game and just get a note.
Well "talking" is one thing but its really hard for me to take the idea that a singular note is worth more than having an admin spend 20+ minutes down your throat over a relatively benign action in the game seriously from the point of how I treated notes as an admin and how I generally expect other admins to treat them similarly. If youre saying it from the point of how notes have been misused I can understand but the solution there is on the people end and not necessarily on the note system itself (not to say it cant be improved).

Guess it also depends on what you did but reminder I think the whole argument is a bit silly so ive already said im causing a hint of mischief (the semantics are irrelevant, the concept of notes and being liberal/conservative w them is v important though).
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #685166

Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:47 pm "Admins hate it when players try to weasel their way around or out of the rules. Players hate it when admins do the same thing. Don't be pedants."

The in-game panel is the only place this happens. It doesn't represent the most accurate picture of how we access notes in all circumstances.

So many admin decisions are made on the Discord or via reference to tgdb. The Discord bots that can retrieve note histories don't do this. The tgdb pages don't do this. Admins will happily flick through reams of 6+ month old notes and drag them up at some future point behind the curtain.
I don't know if you've seen it, but I've been suggesting for a while to change that for tgdb/Discord bots. I'll make a stink about it tonight.
Kendrickorium wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:59 pm show the rest of that god damn window
You're not missing much, there's a couple of IC in OOC notes from before I was an admin and the notes from where I got banned because I was hacked, that's about it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #685168

Cobby wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:34 pm
vect0r wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:24 pm
Well "talking" is one thing but its really hard for me to take the idea that a singular note is worth more than having an admin spend 20+ minutes down your throat over a relatively benign action in the game seriously from the point of how I treated notes as an admin and how I generally expect other admins to treat them similarly. If youre saying it from the point of how notes have been misused I can understand but the solution there is on the people end and not necessarily on the note system itself (not to say it cant be improved).

Guess it also depends on what you did but reminder I think the whole argument is a bit silly so ive already said im causing a hint of mischief (the semantics are irrelevant, the concept of notes and being liberal/conservative w them is v important though).
Admins are less likely to search for a conversation that took place a week ago compared to a note placed a month ago.
I think the reason why people consider negative notes punishments is because those notes affect any further punishment down the line.
A 20 minute conversation with the admin sucks, but if it doesn't result in a note it's a bit of a win for the player because a different admin won't waste his time coming through previous adminlogs just to find it if he needs to punish the player for another issue later. The note system is a convenient means of tracking what the player has done before and nowhere is there more relevant in when considering a permanent ban on the player for multiple issues.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #685170

tbh if an admin is combing through over a years worth of your notes chances are you're a shitter that needs to go
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #685183

Archie700 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:31 pm Chimpston had stunned the borg beforehand and had time to check what the borg was holding. A 10 second window.

09:27:43 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 100) (77, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:49 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 100) (77, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:54 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [reinforced wall] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room (76, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:54 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: 75) (76, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
was there a href log to show they checked? I don't believe hrefs are in public logs, are they? Hrefs will probably show exactly what actions they took during this time, but this might have been the point at which they misidentified the weapon they had.

additionally, I wouldn't necessarily call this a smoking gun. A flashing is still an attack, and delayed actions could be to fumble through bags to draw weapons or even reload.You're on a timer with regards to attacking borgs you've stunned. You either follow up or you hope they aren't subverted and draw their stun arm. I don't necessarily beget anyone making a snap decision and getting it wrong for that reason.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #685184

Archie700 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:53 pm Admins are less likely to search for a conversation that took place a week ago compared to a note placed a month ago.
I think the reason why people consider negative notes punishments is because those notes affect any further punishment down the line.
A 20 minute conversation with the admin sucks, but if it doesn't result in a note it's a bit of a win for the player because a different admin won't waste his time coming through previous adminlogs just to find it if he needs to punish the player for another issue later. The note system is a convenient means of tracking what the player has done before and nowhere is there more relevant in when considering a permanent ban on the player for multiple issues.
Thats the problem, notes should not affect any further punishment down the line compared to a warning (they should be synonymous).

If you get warned by an admin to not do X then that admin sees you doing X, that should come at an equivalent punishment as admin A saw you do X so he notes it then admin B sees you do X. That is exactly what the note system is for and why warnings should be logged.

If you get in trouble for doing X and that punishment is scaled because you have a note for doing Y, people should be rolling their eyes admins included if it doesnt have relevance. It does NOT mean that the note system or that noting for warning-equivalents is problematic, it should be on the onus of players and especially overseeing administrators to make sure the note system is used properly.

That said, notes that do not reflect warnings outside of goodie notes doesnt make sense. Things like "this person played the game in a particular way that I did not like but i did not actually address" is a misuse of the system as well. Notes are/should be logged warnings, and warnings are not a punishment on their own.
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #685205

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:50 pm
Archie700 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:31 pm Chimpston had stunned the borg beforehand and had time to check what the borg was holding. A 10 second window.

09:27:43 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 100) (77, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:49 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) flashed idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with the flash (NEWHP: 100) (77, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:54 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) fired at [reinforced wall] with .38 bullet from Supermatter Engine Room (76, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
09:27:54 ATTACK Chimpston/(Krakaahsje Vitche II) shot idontcarear/(Nano Transcend) with .38 bullet (NEWHP: 75) (76, 114, 2) Supermatter Engine Room
was there a href log to show they checked? I don't believe hrefs are in public logs, are they? Hrefs will probably show exactly what actions they took during this time, but this might have been the point at which they misidentified the weapon they had.

additionally, I wouldn't necessarily call this a smoking gun. A flashing is still an attack, and delayed actions could be to fumble through bags to draw weapons or even reload.You're on a timer with regards to attacking borgs you've stunned. You either follow up or you hope they aren't subverted and draw their stun arm. I don't necessarily beget anyone making a snap decision and getting it wrong for that reason.
I could see it that way, I don't have access to those logs so I believe it's up to the headmin team for that decision.
Cobby wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:55 pm
Archie700 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:53 pm Admins are less likely to search for a conversation that took place a week ago compared to a note placed a month ago.
Thats the problem, notes should not affect any further punishment down the line compared to a warning (they should be synonymous).

If you get warned by an admin to not do X then that admin sees you doing X, that should come at an equivalent punishment as admin A saw you do X so he notes it then admin B sees you do X. That is exactly what the note system is for and why warnings should be logged.

If you get in trouble for doing X and that punishment is scaled because you have a note for doing Y, people should be rolling their eyes admins included if it doesnt have relevance. It does NOT mean that the note system or that noting for warning-equivalents is problematic, it should be on the onus of players and especially overseeing administrators to make sure the note system is used properly.

That said, notes that do not reflect warnings outside of goodie notes doesnt make sense. Things like "this person played the game in a particular way that I did not like but i did not actually address" is a misuse of the system as well. Notes are/should be logged warnings, and warnings are not a punishment on their own.
.I believe that should be the general behavior of notes.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #685209

Archie700 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:11 am I could see it that way, I don't have access to those logs so I believe it's up to the headmin team for that decision.
One of the best pieces of advice I got for log diving was checking hrefs, since not everything is logged naturally, but you can find various procs in there that aren't logged in other ways. You do sort of need to know what you're looking for.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #685230

if you have to look in href its literally over, the most awful experience.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #685243

Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 am
If you want an example of a not-punishment, that would be a verbal warning instead of a note.
If a note is a punishment a verbal warning is a punishment, they serve the same purpose ("stop doing this behavior")
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #685249

mrmelbert wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:32 am
If you want an example of a not-punishment, that would be a verbal warning instead of a note.
If a note is a punishment a verbal warning is a punishment, they serve the same purpose ("stop doing this behavior")
I respectfully disagree. It's unfeasible to keep track of tickets as it is to keep track of notes.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #685251

Timberpoes wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:47 pm So many admin decisions are made on the Discord or via reference to tgdb. The Discord bots that can retrieve note histories don't do this. The tgdb pages don't do this. Admins will happily flick through reams of 6+ month old notes and drag them up at some future point behind the curtain.
can the discord bot and tgdb please do something the equivalent of this? i only realized how dumb it was in retrospect looking back a couple months ago and i went from "oh notes expire on the user panel" to "well also most of the time we don't even use the in-game notes system we just look at tgdb and the discord bot" and there's been more than a couple handful of appeals that show this, even if the mistake is quickly corrected
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #685253

conrad wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:49 am I respectfully disagree. It's unfeasible to keep track of tickets as it is to keep track of notes.
This is the point of my statement

ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #685264

Yeah, a verbal warning is a punishment. Did anyone say it wasn't? It's just the lightest punishment possible.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #685265

ekaterina wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:41 am Yeah, a verbal warning is a punishment. Did anyone say it wasn't? It's just the lightest punishment possible.

ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #685277

mrmelbert wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:51 am
ekaterina wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:41 am Yeah, a verbal warning is a punishment. Did anyone say it wasn't? It's just the lightest punishment possible.
You're right that somebody said it wasn't. You're not right that it isn't. Timberpoes was wrong.
Many organisations around the world list a form of verbal warning as the lowest form of disciplinary measure. The United States' Armed Forces are one example.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #685278

A verbal warning disappears from the face of the earth after the round ends. A note stays forever and influences all future tickets, bwoinks, and bans, having a chance to make them harsher. So like duh one is a punishment and the other isn’t man.

Multiple examples were provided of this. This argument was also like the fundamental one made ad nauseum so I hate to say it over again for the bazillionth time.

Also you and Ekaterina agree so you’re ontologically wrong and should take this as an opportunity to reflect.
Spoiler:
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #685281

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:31 am Also you and Ekaterina agree so you’re ontologically wrong and should take this as an opportunity to reflect.
based.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #685286

this would be more reassuring if five posts above this an admin trainer, the role models for the admin team who shape admin culture by teaching new admins, wasn't saying "Yeah I always open the hidden notes and read them all to check if they might apply to the current situation"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #685293

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:31 am
A verbal warning disappears from the face of the earth after the round ends. A note stays forever and influences all future tickets, bwoinks, and bans, having a chance to make them harsher. So like duh one is a punishment and the other isn’t man.

Multiple examples were provided of this. This argument was also like the fundamental one made ad nauseum so I hate to say it over again for the bazillionth time.

Also you and Ekaterina agree so you’re ontologically wrong and should take this as an opportunity to reflect.
They don't, ahelp logs are saved forever. You can go onto that one website i forgot the name of and it shows you all your ahelps from years ago.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #685296

BlueMemesauce wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:12 pm They don't, ahelp logs are saved forever. You can go onto that one website i forgot the name of and it shows you all your ahelps from years ago.
https://bus.moth.fans/ is what most people use nowadays.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #685305

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:46 am

this would be more reassuring if five posts above this an admin trainer, the role models for the admin team who shape admin culture by teaching new admins, wasn't saying "Yeah I always open the hidden notes and read them all to check if they might apply to the current situation"
Wine is referring to things like rule 8 breaks that are serious violations of conduct, not just everyday greytiding/over-escalation stuff. Obviously if you have a history of being a creepy fuck that's going to stick with you, but when I talk about notes after a certain date not applying, I'm talking about less serious infractions.
Spoiler:

Epoc
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epoc

Post by Epoc » #685337

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 pm On the other, as I've said many times before, notes aren't a punishment. They're just a record of discussion.
Immediately followed by using note frequency as a measure of behavior, not "records of discussion":

Saying they're not a punishment and then instantly turning around and using them as validation for someone being banned is dishonest, and frankly, sucks huge dong.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #685365

Epoc wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:29 pm
Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 pm On the other, as I've said many times before, notes aren't a punishment. They're just a record of discussion.
Immediately followed by using note frequency as a measure of behavior, not "records of discussion":

Saying they're not a punishment and then instantly turning around and using them as validation for someone being banned is dishonest, and frankly, sucks huge dong.
That's not why he was banned. He was banned for mulitkeying, aka "making a new account to play on and pretend to be a new player in order to circumvent a ban or their note history". I'm telling him that, if he continues the same behavior he was getting notes for (which was roughly the same thing multiple times, though I'm not going to post his notes), that he could be banned again in the future.

In other words,
Epicgamer545 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:10 pm note ≠ ban
however,
LOTS of notes of the same action repeated over and over again = ban
Spoiler: