r/OutOfTheLoop: The New Cratening

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

r/OutOfTheLoop: The New Cratening

Post by Fren256 » #688552

Bottom post of the previous page:

Hello fellow redditors, I'm out of the loop on a certain matter and I require your help. I wanna know what's the deal with PR #75785. Why is it so controversial? Why do you hate (or love) it? And why does the author feel they have been gaslit by their detractors? Only big chungus 100 wholesome keanu reeves answers please.
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: r/OutOfTheLoop: The New Cratening

Post by Armhulen » #688707

BeeSting12 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:25 am
Armhulen wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:02 pm
Boot wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:52 pm Armhulen come on, we are kin here. Don't you recall those halcyon days of medical getting flooded with freon every round? The money trees and unlimited null crates.
I unironically miss freon, I miss null crates when they weren't done every round. Like, nobody ever had issues with them for years but as time went on people realized they really could just hand an emag to the QM at any time and start an infinite flood of traitor gear. Honestly? Null crates could come back if the unlock condition was harder than "use an emag" and we all know it. There needs to be some kind of thing that prevents it from being something done constantly like the last few months before removal.
Same with gangs. Gangs on release? fun. Gangs when everyone learns there is no downside to just building the dominator behind 5 reinforced walls and bolted doors? Painful. So painful. Preventing people from settling into "every round" gimmicks is key for enjoyment and longevity of features.

God I miss freon. Removed because it was laggy and crashy too, not because people hated it. I loved turning the station into a winter wonderland, it felt like a real unique deadly environment condition.
Please bring back gangs. Some of my favorite ss13 memories happened during gangs rounds.
If you figure out how to avoid the ugliest most unfun meta settling around base defense it will be a mode that is never removed again
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #688708

Timonk wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:17 am
Armhulen wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:58 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:24 pm Wallening looks like shit
the "i play dwarf fortress without a tileset" take
dont pretend like you play dwarf fortress
I actually like adventure mode a lot
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #688710

Armhulen wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:45 am
BeeSting12 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:25 am snip
Please bring back gangs. Some of my favorite ss13 memories happened during gangs rounds.
If you figure out how to avoid the ugliest most unfun meta settling around base defense it will be a mode that is never removed again
I think the dominator was the wrong way to go about it. Should be based entirely around tagging and with no round end condition. Winning gang determined by percentage of station tagged. Gang leaders are able to buy their sick toys with influence gained by people repping gang colors and doing various other illegal activities. Security should be playing against the gangs because of the carnage they cause rather than because the round will end if they don't. I disagree with goof's families approach where joining is consensual.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #688712

I found an image of it with the wallening.
it looks good.
wait...
why is the crate half way up a floor tile?
let me fix that
There we go. (couldnt be bothered to move the open one down with photoshop, should I?)
Or... are all objects made with the wallening meant to be made to go half way up a wall tile?
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #688713

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:23 am lmao the spriter's digg posting is even trashier than his Discord posting and he's being such a fucking prick that now I'm strictly opposed to the sprites just because he's such a doink
digg?
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #688715

Constellado wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:25 am I found an image of it with the wallening.
it looks good.
wait...
why is the crate half way up a floor tile?
let me fix that
There we go. (couldnt be bothered to move the open one down with photoshop, should I?)
Or... are all objects made with the wallening meant to be made to go half way up a wall tile?
ehhhh... it looks better I guess but it still looks bad.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Learner
Byond Username: Learner

Post by Learner » #688719

All right. About time a thread on this came up...

I do not like the crates. Fundamentally, they feel like they weren't made from a good place. People have suspected this from the spriter, that they feel dispirited from SS13 related matters, and in a few cases, it shows here. The creator themselves has stated that they did not feel 'motivated' to complete the PR, meaning we were presented with an unfinished project. Some of the work that was presented has errors or poor alignment. The electrical crates presented below are the worst offender, even if it's an easy fix. Assuming you don't consider the outright color change as an issue.

The sprite of it changes between it's open and closed state, losing a line of orange pixels on each end of the crate being opened.

Another issue that needs addressing: the 'bumps' on the tops of the mining, security, and military crates are off center. Kendrickorium isn't imagining it. They simply are not even. The bumps sit closer to the center on the left side then they do the right.

Now, the following issues are a matter of following 'motif', or simply put, the style. With wooden crates, it becomes more apparent then ever, and this is one issue that has bugged me to no end. It's clear that most of the crates we've acquired have had a certain style i.e. thick edges, no visible hinges, consistent insides, and relatively short sides. They're also designed from the bottom of the tile up, but they all have that. Nothing... about that wooden crate carries an ounce of matching style with the rest of the crates. The wooden crate has... no thick blurred edges, tall sides, and looks somewhat skinny I say? I could even go so far as to say that it feels like I'm looking at the wooden crate from a different angle from every other crate, and that's not good! The worst part as well? I think the wooden crate is actually the best of the set! It's a crate. It doesn't really need to demand for my attention with visual noise.

Going down the line... The freezer and normal crates share way too similar a color pallet. This extends into numerous issues some players were having with this, same as some of the concerns with the medkit sprites: they look too similar based on their colors, or perhaps rather, there wasn't enough put into making them look different. A player brought up this issue, which I feel is a valid concern... objects for different things should not be incredibly similar in look... but they were met with hostility on the matter, feeding into this 'player opinion doesn't matter' spheel some folks are describing. Fixing this one is easy: the standard crate color needs to be dropped a shade, since freezer crates are best identifiable by their 'pale eggshell' color.

We can see this same issue appear when we look at the oxygen and medical crates. Again, very similar look, for entirely different contents. In a sense, this is also a design issue, since it detracts from a fundamentally consistent motif we've had for a long time: oxygen goods are primarily cyan blue. Oxygen lockers, oxygen medkits, and O2 canisters all carry a strong blue color pattern, making them easily identifiable. The solution to this is simple: swap the primary and secondary colors so the biggest most identifiable color is the blue, leaving the blue-tint metal for the bars and lettering.

I'm not going to go into detail about the freezer crate looks like a tanning bed or some sci-fi grill, but I am going to make stupid gimmicks with the tanning bed freezers, or how we lost the cutesy 'instruction/safety precaution pages' on the inner tops of our military crates. I'm not going to ask today why the crates are on the bottom of the tile as apposed to looking like they're at the top (this is a big issue though so don't let this drop). I'm not going to go into detail about how a lot of the crates have faded sleepy colors that remind me of old paint, and I'm not going to go into details about the anatomical question about 'where the hinges' are stored at, or 'briefcase crates'... those I'm sure have already been said. Spriting is hard work, and as much as folks would love to have their eternal version of SS13 forever with no visual changes, that's simply not what happens. The key word in developers is 'develop'. Eventually, there's a need to advance the style. Frankly, I love the look of the wallening, and I think it looks great myself! And I'm aware that a great tremendous deal of visual changes will come along with it... some of them for the better, some of them for the worse. But folks won't sit by for what they identify as 'bad'. Frankly, as long as I can indifferently tolerate a change, it may as well be a good change.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #688720

IIRC the wooden crate wasn't made by the spriter but was used with permission. I have no idea where they said that though.

edit:
Found it. It was in the PR:
credit for the wooden crate goes to tau ceti, I was too lazy to redo it myself, so we get this inbetweener for now. it looks good enough.
which is kind of ironic because the wooden crate has consistently been the one that's been the one that has had consistently good feedback.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #688725

Constellado wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:25 am Or... are all objects made with the wallening meant to be made to go half way up a wall tile?
Yes. it varies but we're likely gonna shift most things (lockers, computers, tables) up I think it's 14 pixels rn. Mobs too, for the guy who was asking about frills.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688727

Armhulen wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:58 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:24 pm Wallening looks like shit
the "i play dwarf fortress without a tileset" take
I literally do that though
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #688728

TheFinalPotato wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:48 am
Constellado wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:25 am Or... are all objects made with the wallening meant to be made to go half way up a wall tile?
Yes. it varies but we're likely gonna shift most things (lockers, computers, tables) up I think it's 14 pixels rn. Mobs too, for the guy who was asking about frills.
will people no longer be centered on tiles because of the shift?
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688729

I'm gonna be honest. I don't like the aesthetics of goonstation* and something about the wallening makes me feel like tgstation is trying to look like goonstation. What's next, are we gonna add little dust clouds to the foot steps in some future PR?

My hope is that in the end tgstation maintains a distinct feel apart from goon station.

*To me goonstation looks like a shittier version of an SNES game. Like Chrono trigger but with shittier animation. For some reason I accept a look that's unapologetically janky rather than a look that tries and fails at copying 30 year old technology.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #688730

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:28 am will people no longer be centered on tiles because of the shift?
Not a perfect example since I've not shifted structures yet, but that's the idea yes.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #688731

TheFinalPotato wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:51 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:28 am will people no longer be centered on tiles because of the shift?
Not a perfect example since I've not shifted structures yet, but that's the idea yes.
trying to understand. how will tile clicking work if people’s sprites bleed into other tiles from a resting position? can you click that guy by aiming in the tile above him, even though he’s not standing there? does he reduce his hitbox by 50% since he’s standing under a wall?

will people’s heads peak over doors and corners so you can snipe the top part of them? it seems like a massive headache — out of curiosity what made y’all decide it was worth the thicc tiles?
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688732

So hiding behind south walls is going to be the new meta.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #688733

What I strongly dislike is that all the white clinical crates got shaded down into regular greys for no reason other than the author says "White crates are lame", along with the general loss of colour vibrancy on the departmental indications
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #688734

dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:21 am So hiding behind south walls is going to be the new meta.
from the image it looks like the characters are visible from the south walls, but as a result the overlap is pushed to the north walls
Spoiler:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #688735

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:10 am trying to understand. how will tile clicking work if people’s sprites bleed into other tiles from a resting position? can you click that guy by aiming in the tile above him, even though he’s not standing there? does he reduce his hitbox by 50% since he’s standing under a wall?

will people’s heads peak over doors and corners so you can snipe the top part of them? it seems like a massive headache — out of curiosity what made y’all decide it was worth the thicc tiles?
what do you mean by tile clicking?
hitbox is still the same, it's just shifted up by 16 pixels.

heads showing when you can't see the body is controllable, I think right now they don't.
walls/windows/doors are all done in the new style, so it doesn't look weird really.

I don't have a great answer to that second question, so I'm just gonna info dump context.
TL;DR: it's pretty and I can make it work, so I'm making it work.

tallwalls were a concept came up with by I think someone from para initially? Infrared baron fleshed out the style a bit further, and hooked one of our old maintainers, rohisie. this was like 2020 at some point.
infra used the style for mojave sun, a tg fork he devs for, and convinced roh it was worth porting to /tg/ (roh did this sort of thing a lot, did a lot of work on downstreams and other codebases)
roh then convince kryson, who knocked out most of the core sprites for the project. roh then burned out some, and handed work over to action ninja.

lot of other work happen in this time period from a variety of devs. we have somewhere around 10 people who have put a lot of work into the project at some point or another. the project wasn't technically stable at this point tho, it was very much building the rails as the train ran.

action spent a long time working on the project code wise, but he burned out on byond issues, particularly ones with sidemap, the map format we need to use to make the perspective work [#58051]https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/58051[/url]
then ninjanomnon took over, but he's busy with other shit, so he effectively left kryson alone, which made the man burn out.

I figured out the sidemap issue in december of like 2021, and worked on fixing it for about 8 months, which lead to plane cube.
once that was done we were sure the project was actually technically feasible, and could start pulling people to work on it again.
action's still around, helps me with the cutter making wall and window sprites smooth together, have other artists and coders putting in work like imaginos, draco, viro, arcane, tattle.

I'm mostly going off the work of kryson. the general idea is this sort of style "looks better", and it also provides the same amount of space on the side of walls as we have currently. you may have seen viro's mockups with like stripes on walls, etc.
the spriters talk about this being the only proper way of doing 3/4ths (except not really cause to do that properly we'd need to squish tiles down to 32x24, but close enough)
I'm not an artist, but I think it's pretty and the spritetainers say it's good. it's technically feasible so I'm doing it, most of the concerns from players involve hiding under frills, which is mitigated by the masking system, tho that obviously needs some tlc. I imagine there was more reasoning then this at one point but I never really picked it up. It's been a long while since things started.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #688736

dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:21 am So hiding behind south walls is going to be the new meta.
Frills are masked by your viewport, we just need to work out a way of doing that that doesn't look like anus. The mask is very much a coder sprite.
Also, you're shifted up so no
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #688738

TheFinalPotato wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:42 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:10 am trying to understand. how will tile clicking work if people’s sprites bleed into other tiles from a resting position? can you click that guy by aiming in the tile above him, even though he’s not standing there? does he reduce his hitbox by 50% since he’s standing under a wall?

what do you mean by tile clicking?
hitbox is still the same, it's just shifted up by 16 pixels.

heads showing when you can't see the body is controllable, I think right now they don't.
walls/windows/doors are all done in the new style, so it doesn't look weird really.

I don't have a great answer to that second question, so I'm just gonna info dump context.
TL;DR: it's pretty and I can make it work, so I'm making it work.

tallwalls were a concept came up with by I think someone from para initially? Infrared baron fleshed out the style a bit further, and hooked one of our old maintainers, rohisie. this was like 2020 at some point.
infra used the style for mojave sun, a tg fork he devs for, and convinced roh it was worth porting to /tg/ (roh did this sort of thing a lot, did a lot of work on downstreams and other codebases)
roh then convince kryson, who knocked out most of the core sprites for the project. roh then burned out some, and handed work over to action ninja.

lot of other work happen in this time period from a variety of devs. we have somewhere around 10 people who have put a lot of work into the project at some point or another. the project wasn't technically stable at this point tho, it was very much building the rails as the train ran.

action spent a long time working on the project code wise, but he burned out on byond issues, particularly ones with sidemap, the map format we need to use to make the perspective work [#58051]https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/58051[/url]
then ninjanomnon took over, but he's busy with other shit, so he effectively left kryson alone, which made the man burn out.

I figured out the sidemap issue in december of like 2021, and worked on fixing it for about 8 months, which lead to plane cube.
once that was done we were sure the project was actually technically feasible, and could start pulling people to work on it again.
action's still around, helps me with the cutter making wall and window sprites smooth together, have other artists and coders putting in work like imaginos, draco, viro, arcane, tattle.

I'm mostly going off the work of kryson. the general idea is this sort of style "looks better", and it also provides the same amount of space on the side of walls as we have currently. you may have seen viro's mockups with like stripes on walls, etc.
the spriters talk about this being the only proper way of doing 3/4ths (except not really cause to do that properly we'd need to squish tiles down to 32x24, but close enough)
I'm not an artist, but I think it's pretty and the spritetainers say it's good. it's technically feasible so I'm doing it, most of the concerns from players involve hiding under frills, which is mitigated by the masking system, tho that obviously needs some tlc. I imagine there was more reasoning then this at one point but I never really picked it up. It's been a long while since things started.
neato, thanks a lot for explaining it in so much depth. cool to hear about the origin as well

how bout like items? i notice the bottom of the chairs are hidden by the walls, which makes sense — but won’t items need to be adjusted too? (tuck diskie into the south wall… or hide a grenade in there)

will the tile sprites get adjusted to re-center according to the spacemen’s new position? in a perfect world i bet you could make it look like nothing’s adjusted at all actually, if everything’s reframed
Spoiler:
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #688739

off-center spacemen is a concept i am displeased with
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #688740

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:55 am how bout like items? i notice the bottom of the chairs are hidden by the walls, which makes sense — but won’t items need to be adjusted too? (tuck diskie into the south wall… or hide a grenade in there)

will the tile sprites get adjusted to re-center according to the spacemen’s new position? in a perfect world i bet you could make it look like nothing’s adjusted at all actually, if everything’s reframed
Likely gonna offset chairs so players can sit in them and not have it look dumb. Item offsetting is gonna be troublesome, I'm gonna have to play with how the frill mask works to prevent major stupid.
Tile sprites won't since something needs to sit below the frills. the mask is gonna be needed, can't get it perfect unfortunately (we thought there was a way but it just breaks byond behavior too bad)

Chairs are gonna look a bit strange with tables since they'd be too high on the north end. The system would really shine with pixel movement, but that's a whole other can of worms (tho notably it would be possible without horrible lag now, which is pretty cool)
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #688742

TheFinalPotato wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:07 am Chairs are gonna look a bit strange with tables since they'd be too high on the north end. The system would really shine with pixel movement, but that's a whole other can of worms (tho notably it would be possible without horrible lag now, which is pretty cool)
Thinking about it, shouldn't all solid or commonly anchored objects get the wall treatment?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Featherfield
Byond Username: Featherfield

Post by Featherfield » #688749

Honestly the worst reskin in a while and of course its from the downstream coder guy who made stuff on TG to get it forced downstream
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #688752

its ugly and looks like stardew valley
help
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #688755

I always thought the Wallening (which btw will never happen, atleast not this decade, get real people), looks super ugly... shouldn't /tg/station be like... the most vanilla codebase? And not some weird avant-garde art style???
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #688756

NEW MEDKITS ARE 100% BETTER
idgaf about crates but the further we stray from second generation pillow medkits the better GOD I HATE PILLOW MEDKITS
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #688757

Learner wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:34 am words (I'm not quoting the whole thing, you can scroll up)
This is all really good feedback (and presented in a respectful manner, thank god) but there's a couple of notes:

1) The good news is that a lot of these issues (the bumps on the top of crates not lining up, missing pixels) are pretty easy fixes and can be done by pretty much anyone who can download aseprite and has the patience to do it. The maintainers aren't blocking PRs that touch small facets of the new crates, only ones that seek to completely change them. There's even a PR up right now to fix the weird line thickness around them. I imagine you could get away with putting those cute instruction things back on the sec crates if you really wanted to, but you'd pretty much have to sprite them by hand, which is kind of a pain in the ass.

2) The freezer and normal crates are supposed to be similar to one another, since the freezer is just a regular crate with cooling elements inside. You could also likely get away with PRing your suggestion and it wouldn't be too hard to hammer out over like half an hour.

3) Medical crates were changed since this PR, they now have a nice, big cross on the top to better differentiate it.

4) I feel like I'm the only person who likes the freezer crates. It makes more sense that Nanotrasen would have special refrigerated crates to ship things in than just a big foam cooler full of ice.

Also unrelated to the quote but I genuinely haven't seen a single wallening screenshot that I didn't think looked fucking aces. I'm excited for this if it ever actually gets done.

E:
Capsandi wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:56 pm NEW MEDKITS ARE 100% BETTER
idgaf about crates but the further we stray from second generation pillow medkits the better GOD I HATE PILLOW MEDKITS
This is objectively correct.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
scamoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by scamoppi » #688759

the wallening looks so cool
is there gonna be another test run of it on the Wall Hall?
𓆏 ribbit... (nothing to see here...)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #688761

i dont understand how anyone can like the new kits better than the old ones when you cant even understand what symbol is on top. they just look like black pixelated blobs to me?

the insides of the freezer crates are neat but god so many of the colors used on all of them are so hideous it hurts my eyes. big laughs that the wooden crate was made by someone else.

i just get this feeling that (SOME) coders here will eventually move on to do their own projects, and that (SOME) coders will get feedback like this, that something doesnt look good at all, overwhelming feedback in some cases, and then move on to laugh and say we are all wrong, then no one will buy their game and they will wonder why.

Though I suppose its really easy to forget that ss13 is a free game that we all enjoy though, so at the end of the day, change is just change until something even better comes along. very excited for the wallening, go play more dorf fortress, nerds.

ALSO GOD DAMMIT I WAS RIGHT ABOUT SHIT BEING OFF CENTER OH MY GOD I THOUGHT I WAS TAKING CRAZY PILLS
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #688762

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm My eyes have a skill issue
Please tell me what do you see in the following picture:
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
BrolyButterfingers
Byond Username: DurrHurrDurrHurr

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #688764

Vekter wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:14 pm
Learner wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:34 am words (I'm not quoting the whole thing, you can scroll up)
This is all really good feedback (and presented in a respectful manner, thank god) but there's a couple of notes:

1) The good news is that a lot of these issues (the bumps on the top of crates not lining up, missing pixels) are pretty easy fixes and can be done by pretty much anyone who can download aseprite and has the patience to do it. The maintainers aren't blocking PRs that touch small facets of the new crates, only ones that seek to completely change them. There's even a PR up right now to fix the weird line thickness around them. I imagine you could get away with putting those cute instruction things back on the sec crates if you really wanted to, but you'd pretty much have to sprite them by hand, which is kind of a pain in the ass.

2) The freezer and normal crates are supposed to be similar to one another, since the freezer is just a regular crate with cooling elements inside. You could also likely get away with PRing your suggestion and it wouldn't be too hard to hammer out over like half an hour.

3) Medical crates were changed since this PR, they now have a nice, big cross on the top to better differentiate it.

4) I feel like I'm the only person who likes the freezer crates. It makes more sense that Nanotrasen would have special refrigerated crates to ship things in than just a big foam cooler full of ice.

Also unrelated to the quote but I genuinely haven't seen a single wallening screenshot that I didn't think looked fucking aces. I'm excited for this if it ever actually gets done.

E:
Capsandi wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:56 pm NEW MEDKITS ARE 100% BETTER
This is objectively correct.
Admins trying this hard to carry water for shit nobody likes while the spriter themselves is such an aggressive fucking asshole is probably my favourite thing about this entire shitshow. It's like watching a politician's press officer try to spin a video of them kicking a dog while the politician can be heard on a hot mic shouting I'D FUCKIN DO IT AGAIN

It's such a hilarious tonal mismatch.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #688766

Fren256 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:17 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm My eyes have a skill issue
Please tell me what do you see in the following picture:
no stop
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #688767

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:20 pm Admins trying this hard to carry water for shit nobody likes while the spriter themselves is such an aggressive fucking asshole is probably my favourite thing about this entire shitshow. It's like watching a politician's press officer try to spin a video of them kicking a dog while the politician can be heard on a hot mic shouting I'D FUCKIN DO IT AGAIN

It's such a hilarious tonal mismatch.
Believe it or not, I don't really care about Viro? Not in like an excessively negative way, I just don't know them past them being kind of an asshole to people over this debacle (which I understand given that it's rough to put something out there and people not like it but that absolutely does not justify how they acted).

I guess I'm just trying to keep things positive? It's better to fix a problem than it is to sit there and bitch about it all day.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #688776

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:55 pm I always thought the Wallening (which btw will never happen, atleast not this decade, get real people), looks super ugly... shouldn't /tg/station be like... the most vanilla codebase? And not some weird avant-garde art style???
this is why i have never ever considered listening to player feedback
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #688778

i think it’d be interesting for TG to run a legacy codebase on like Campbell or some shit and see how popular that is versus the new rebase

cause at the end of the day you can prolly do whatever you want to the codebase short of just genuinely breaking and bugging it out, and you’re not gonna have a mass migration or anything cause TG is too big to fail
Spoiler:
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #688781

will we do a humaning like goon did? that would be badass.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #688783

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:55 pm i think it’d be interesting for TG to run a legacy codebase on like Campbell or some shit and see how popular that is versus the new rebase

cause at the end of the day you can prolly do whatever you want to the codebase short of just genuinely breaking and bugging it out, and you’re not gonna have a mass migration or anything cause TG is too big to fail
if you want to play a legacy codebase just connect to para and if you want even older, connect to vg.

there are plenty of servers stuck in the past.

and you know what? they suck, they suck hard
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #688784

oranges wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:39 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:55 pm i think it’d be interesting for TG to run a legacy codebase on like Campbell or some shit and see how popular that is versus the new rebase

if you want to play a legacy codebase just connect to para and if you want even older, connect to vg.

there are plenty of servers stuck in the past.

and you know what? they suck, they suck hard
you're scared what you might find out, aren't you orangeman... WHEN CAMPBELL HAS 130POP!
Spoiler:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer

Post by TheFinalPotato » #688785

Featherfield wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:49 pm Honestly the worst reskin in a while and of course its from the downstream coder guy who made stuff on TG to get it forced downstream
oh no pride pins whatever will we do
Timonk wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:24 am Thinking about it, shouldn't all solid or commonly anchored objects get the wall treatment?
most things are gonna get shifted yeah. we'll see how things go
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:21 pm will we do a humaning like goon did? that would be badass.
goof and a few other devs keep talking about it, fuckin deranged man let's do one massive resprite at a time
AlamoTurtle
Byond Username: Alamo Turtle

Post by AlamoTurtle » #688786

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:21 pm will we do a humaning like goon did? that would be badass.
Goon humaning looks yucky please no. It is literally what drove me away from there, among other things.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #688787

how far away are you guys from wallening? i'm excited to see the salt it produces, as well
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #688789

Pride pins make no sense in the lore since homophobia no longer exists, but at least now we can wear the asexual pride pin as the plasmaman and be a sigma asexual reproducer
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #688790

BlueMemesauce wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:45 pm Pride pins make no sense in the lore since homophobia no longer exists, but at least now we can wear the asexual pride pin as the plasmaman and be a sigma asexual reproducer
I don't know what that has to do with anything, but okay.

Also, we don't wear pride stuff to fight homophobia, we do it because we're proud of our identity.
Spoiler:

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #688793

Vekter wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:12 am
BlueMemesauce wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:45 pm Pride pins make no sense in the lore since homophobia no longer exists, but at least now we can wear the asexual pride pin as the plasmaman and be a sigma asexual reproducer
I don't know what that has to do with anything, but okay.

Also, we don't wear pride stuff to fight homophobia, we do it because we're proud of our identity.
Let's not get political here
How about you take this to polcon buddy? We are recruiting new members
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #688794

ducks told me to post this for their thoughts on the new crates. i miss ducks.............

Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #688795

Armhulen wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:37 am
i frew up
► Show Spoiler
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #688796

NSFW:
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #688798

I love how the guy who wanted to get rid of double barrel skins because of "sprite debt" also was the one who flooded in pride pins.
Image Image
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #688799

AlamoTurtle wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:34 pm
Goon humaning looks yucky please no. It is literally what drove me away from there, among other things.
This
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #688801

I do not understand where all the people who go "Wallening looks really cool" are coming from. It's not ugly or anything but it does not seem any more cool than our current perspective. I do play DF on ASCII though so I am not to be trusted. Are there any good videos of people running around in the Wallenverse out there? Maybe it looks cool in motion.