Local Admin Gets Teleported To Space, Changes Pistols To Hide Deleting Dragnets

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Local Admin Gets Teleported To Space, Changes Pistols To Hide Deleting Dragnets

Post by Kendrickorium » #690483

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/76076

"I do not like the DRAGnet. It is outdated by at least a decade, and has somehow been ignored for quite some time. It used to be a secborg weapon, but somehow ended up being...not a secborg weapon. While the gun itself has an interesting premise, it is mostly used for one reason. It is a normal-sized disabler shotgun you can dual-wield and does about 60 stamina force per blast. That means you can incapacitate most opponents point blank with two of them in a single click the button.

It has a really neat teleport mechanic, but that isn't really utilized compared to it simply being an energy shotgun. It also lets you validhunt quite a bit harder by teleporting your victims to space while they are stunned. It might be a shame to lose this aspect, but honestly I think it is an acceptable loss."

i'm almost positive anne hasnt used the dragnet before
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Re: Local Admin Gets Teleported To Space, Changes Pistols To Hide Deleting Dragnets

Post by Boris » #690486

nah, she definitely has. the fact that she's specifically pointing fingers at the netting mode when the snare is what get used most often (at least as far as I know) is kinda weird but thermal pistol buffs are like honey on toast.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Re: Local Admin Gets Teleported To Space, Changes Pistols To Hide Deleting Dragnets

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #690488

jeff gaiman dragnet comp 12900915925 are gonna no longer be possible? gah damn

ive seen this man kill more antags with this thing, is this a salt PR?
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #690502

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:37 am i'm almost positive anne hasnt used the dragnet before
I have. I don't think there is a bit of the combat system I haven't touched and tried to make work and approach honestly. I can tell you that basically I just used it as a shotgun and the bola shot was gravy on top. Disgustingly strong weapon, but it got largely ignored before and after the taser period because I feel like a few reasons. It also made me feel greasy using it...that, and I liked the feedback on the shotgun more.

I personally have tried to make use of the teleport but fighting the captain or the AI or whoever over setting the teleporters and keeping them set/off is nightmarishly annoying from sec's point of view. It really is best utilized by the HOS because they at least can enter and set the teleporters. But any engineer can come fuck up your dragnet by going and fidddling with the sat teleporters, or some scientist built their own teleporter. Tying it all to teleporters is just crap, but I'm sure at the time it was much more doable, or there were less teleporters in the maps, so it kind of just got left behind in the design around it. I can't possibly say given how old the DRAGnet is.

The spacing problem is actually not something I've experienced myself because I haven't seen as many people using the teleport as they have used it as a shotgun with a bola bullet. I've experienced the fun of being on the receiving end of the DRAGnet, most notably when I was on Bagil. There was a period where some cargo mains (notably, Brick Carr) figured out how disgusting it was and rolled around on ATVs validing with the one-tap volleys. I got to join them one round, it was disgustingly strong and kind of funny. We had just left the taser period, so people weren't expecting to get oneshot into stamina crit. What I have seen is people spacing prisoners on accident. And it left the players who experienced it utterly baffled as to why their prisoner wasn't in the brig and where they were now (for instance, a search warrant turned space homicide was a real thing I got to witness on old Sybil). If you can do it accidentally, nothing really stops you doing it deliberately. And that's my concern, really.

Thirdly, it is in the armory. Most officers can't get their hands on it, or make the most out of it for the utility it promises. The most meaningful, most applicable things about the dragnet is the damage being so high. So I believe most people will consider that first over its gimmick. They will also have to actively seek out getting it, which apparently isn't something people like doing for any non-standard gear. If they can't just immediately get it with zero interaction, they won't unless they have a particular plan in mind or it just gets given to them (the armory got opened). This sometimes is untrue if it's something focused on as a flavour of the month meta strat, or seems like it is particularly extreme in how powerful it is and how easy it is to apply (I'm thinking body tossing monkey humans, since you gotta go get a corpse for that).

Overall, this PR has invited a bunch of people towards making good suggestions as to alternatives and I think its been largely a good time talking to folk about the possibilities. Certainly, I think I'm going to work on something that is more applicable for security as a whole rather than something hidden away in the armory.

As for the pistol changes, this is an experimental pr please be patient.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #690503

after playing hos multiple rounds in the rework i don't really like the idea of the hos gun having snare mode since this adds another mode for the hos gun and it just becomes bloat to cycle trough

I think a middle ground for ebola's would be better that lets you set them up on the ground like some beartrap thing so you can use it defensively if a dsworder runs at you or something in that regards while ebolas would be a more offensive approach

For the dragnets im glad they're gone and filled with a auctall usefull gun the thermal pistols though i can see the issue being able to reload them on spin i think it would be better to keep the temp mechanic since thermal/cryo pistols are really good at stacking infection/bleed wounds

In the time of tasers dragnet also havent seen use because tempguns could make you move instantly at freezing speed which was just as bad as being bolad, this case has been changed since the body temp acting faster so i think maybe a buff for temp gun doing bigger temperature changes would syngergize with thermal pistols more and then you could safely remove the spin reload function
The future is horrible!
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #690504

i want thermal pistols to be used more cuz i like the noise they make more than lasers....
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #690506

Ezel wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:40 pm i think it would be better to keep the temp mechanic since thermal/cryo pistols are really good at stacking infection/bleed wounds
Just to note, the guns still combo with temperature changes, that wasn't removed.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #690507

yeahh but thats so super situational and the reload is pretty strong since you get no dual wield penalty so you get around 40 burn damage a shot with infections/bleed wounds
The future is horrible!
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #690520

I've never seen it used as a shotgun, I always thought it was picked up for the rapid fire bola function. I dont really care about the drag net but it wouldn't sting if the replacement was something new instead of thermal pistols. The spin to win mechanic on those is interesting but the flavoring on them is just so lame. They look like ballistics, have almost nothing to do with temperature, and again, look like ballistics.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #690535

blame lisa for using it everytime they roll captain
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #690537

I've used the new thermal pistols and it's stupid fun. I wish I could spin them without having to right-click but I imagine that's a balance thing.

I've never used the DRAGNet but the change seems divisive depending on whether or not you play Sec, so it's probably a good change.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #690540

I wish I could spin them without having to right-click but I imagine that's a balance thing.
tfw I move the spin to right click from use because it's just a funny cosmetic thing and not even a month later someone makes it not a cosmetic thing and thus it becomes sensible to move it back to use
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #690541

I don't know if it is sticking to spin, melberts, I'm just testing stuff and I thought it'd be funny because yee haw.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #690543

I love the dragnet as a snare gun and as nothing else. I will miss it. But I didn't play security enough for my opinion to matter.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #690545

NecromancerAnne wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:17 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:37 am i'm almost positive anne hasnt used the dragnet before
I have. I don't think there is a bit of the combat system I haven't touched and tried to make work and approach honestly. I can tell you that basically I just used it as a shotgun and the bola shot was gravy on top. Disgustingly strong weapon, but it got largely ignored before and after the taser period because I feel like a few reasons. It also made me feel greasy using it...that, and I liked the feedback on the shotgun more.

I personally have tried to make use of the teleport but fighting the captain or the AI or whoever over setting the teleporters and keeping them set/off is nightmarishly annoying from sec's point of view. It really is best utilized by the HOS because they at least can enter and set the teleporters. But any engineer can come fuck up your dragnet by going and fidddling with the sat teleporters, or some scientist built their own teleporter. Tying it all to teleporters is just crap, but I'm sure at the time it was much more doable, or there were less teleporters in the maps, so it kind of just got left behind in the design around it. I can't possibly say given how old the DRAGnet is.

The spacing problem is actually not something I've experienced myself because I haven't seen as many people using the teleport as they have used it as a shotgun with a bola bullet. I've experienced the fun of being on the receiving end of the DRAGnet, most notably when I was on Bagil. There was a period where some cargo mains (notably, Brick Carr) figured out how disgusting it was and rolled around on ATVs validing with the one-tap volleys. I got to join them one round, it was disgustingly strong and kind of funny. We had just left the taser period, so people weren't expecting to get oneshot into stamina crit. What I have seen is people spacing prisoners on accident. And it left the players who experienced it utterly baffled as to why their prisoner wasn't in the brig and where they were now (for instance, a search warrant turned space homicide was a real thing I got to witness on old Sybil). If you can do it accidentally, nothing really stops you doing it deliberately. And that's my concern, really.

Thirdly, it is in the armory. Most officers can't get their hands on it, or make the most out of it for the utility it promises. The most meaningful, most applicable things about the dragnet is the damage being so high. So I believe most people will consider that first over its gimmick. They will also have to actively seek out getting it, which apparently isn't something people like doing for any non-standard gear. If they can't just immediately get it with zero interaction, they won't unless they have a particular plan in mind or it just gets given to them (the armory got opened). This sometimes is untrue if it's something focused on as a flavour of the month meta strat, or seems like it is particularly extreme in how powerful it is and how easy it is to apply (I'm thinking body tossing monkey humans, since you gotta go get a corpse for that).

Overall, this PR has invited a bunch of people towards making good suggestions as to alternatives and I think its been largely a good time talking to folk about the possibilities. Certainly, I think I'm going to work on something that is more applicable for security as a whole rather than something hidden away in the armory.

As for the pistol changes, this is an experimental pr please be patient.
I've seen a couple people, notably Dean, that could and use the dragnet to full effect. Scary stuff when in the right(or wrong) hands. I literally only ever used it as a rapid fire snare, and its saved my life more times than rounds ive played(I'm looking at you, revolution rounds), since I typically roll Captain so much. The snare has turned out to be an amazing device for resolving potential conflicts quickly and easily, it's so strong that I think there SHOULD only be one or two of them, and that they start in the armory since they are so powerful.

I can definitely see the people being spaced on accident thing a problem, as it's happened to myself a few times, especially when someone gets ahold of it and decides to get trolly. I've tutored a lot of people on how to use its more advanced function since most people have no idea what happens when people start disappearing after they've used it. I'm positive a lot of people have no idea that you can even switch it over to the snare function

I can honestly only be so salty about this, because I knew someone would come for it eventually
But for the love of staying alive in rounds PLEASE either just get rid of the teleporting function and leave the dragnet as is, or lets have a brainstorming session where we can come up with an item that resembles it in some form
i really like staying alive

also how do i spin pistols, the belt slot is used by my sabre
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #690548

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:45 pm also how do i spin pistols, the belt slot is used by my sabre
put it into armor slot
► Show Spoiler
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #690549

Striders13 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:18 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:45 pm also how do i spin pistols, the belt slot is used by my sabre
put it into armor slot
THATS WHERE MY WINTER COAT GOES, I NEED MY WINTER COAT.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #690551

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:24 pm
put it into armor slot
it's 20C on station, you don't
► Show Spoiler
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #690552

Striders13 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:40 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:24 pm
put it into armor slot
it's 20C on station, you don't
IT LOOKS NICE.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #690559

Even if we don't add new fire modes to X-01 we need to add the ability to go back and forth between fire modes instead of just cycling through. Maybe even a radial menu or something.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #690562

A multishot snaregun that requires you to stand still for several seconds to remove or otherwise be greatly slowed is an extremely boring design for a gun. I think more people would recognize its strength if it wasn't overshadowed by the shitty balance nightmare our batons are currently in.

If I were to replace it, I would add something like the harpoon gun from Evolve. No damage, slows down the target and the guns wielder, and the line breaks if the target gets too far or breaks LOS. It would be bad when you're alone, but it could be very useful when working as a team with your fellow seccies. Added bonus of also working on any kind of fauna as well as humanoids, so you can go hunt some beasts with your mates.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #690571

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:00 am A multishot snaregun that requires you to stand still for several seconds to remove or otherwise be greatly slowed is an extremely boring design for a gun. I think more people would recognize its strength if it wasn't overshadowed by the shitty balance nightmare our batons are currently in.

If I were to replace it, I would add something like the harpoon gun from Evolve. No damage, slows down the target and the guns wielder, and the line breaks if the target gets too far or breaks LOS. It would be bad when you're alone, but it could be very useful when working as a team with your fellow seccies. Added bonus of also working on any kind of fauna as well as humanoids, so you can go hunt some beasts with your mates.
i'm almost positive saying something has "a boring design" is just using different words to say you personally dont like something

how exactly is a gun that shoots lasers better design than one that shoots snares?
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #690575

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:00 am A multishot snaregun that requires you to stand still for several seconds to remove or otherwise be greatly slowed is an extremely boring design for a gun. I think more people would recognize its strength if it wasn't overshadowed by the shitty balance nightmare our batons are currently in.

of all the armory items to call boring design you choose dragnets??
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #690636

The gun could have 5 modes if we brought back taser mode but alas.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #690640

Timonk wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:42 pm The gun could have 5 modes if we brought back taser mode but alas.
you should code a pie cannon mode
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #690660

Just deepfry it every shift.

Next problem, please!
► Show Spoiler
Featherfield
Byond Username: Featherfield

Post by Featherfield » #690718

man makes some serious ideds at this day and age
Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #690781

Yeah, I think dragnet's snare function is just a less interesting and more one-sided version of the bolas. That slowdown is really strong and the push and pull of only having one chance per bola and the risk of the opponent catching it plays out a lot more interestingly than the dragnet's projectile which then turns into a bear trap.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #690783

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:13 pm Yeah, I think dragnet's snare function is just a less interesting and more one-sided version of the bolas. That slowdown is really strong and the push and pull of only having one chance per bola and the risk of the opponent catching it plays out a lot more interestingly than the dragnet's projectile which then turns into a bear trap.
a bear trap that takes about 3 seconds to take off, if that
its in the armory for a reason

tbh its used more than the temp or ion gun, those could probably do with redesigns first

on a side note, i watched an alien queen get absolutely destroyed by thermal pistols today

i think it took like 8 shots and it was dead
Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #690787

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:06 pm
a bear trap that takes about 3 seconds to take off, if that
its in the armory for a reason

tbh its used more than the temp or ion gun, those could probably do with redesigns first

on a side note, i watched an alien queen get absolutely destroyed by thermal pistols today

i think it took like 8 shots and it was dead
Aliens have a double modifier on burn damage, which considering this includes lasers, should probably be reduced (one laser bolt currently does 50 damage to a xenomorph!).

Also, yeah, of course DRAGnet gets used more than the extremely specific hard-counter weapons because it works on the group that security will be fighting most often, humans. If you have access to it or a warden willing to give you access to it, why wouldn't you want to take it outside of the fear of letting it fall into enemy hands? If you land a snare, the fight's pretty much over unless the enemy is packing teleportation. It takes 3 seconds to remove, sure, but you have to stand still for 3 seconds to take it off which most of the time isn't going to fly in the middle of combat.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #690793

bolas can be blocked by anything with block chance while the dragnet's beartraps cant

in very niche setups like desword+bath salts/combat stims+meth/ephedrine/combat stims where the person is fast, stun immune, and has high block chance the dragnet's beartraps are a needed tool to deal with these threats
Weston Echard on Sybil
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #690861

blahblahblah (weapons that bypass blockchance or oversights) etc etc 10 year old code
The future is horrible!
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #690947

after playing a few rounds, i like the new cowboy guns its fun and an actual ballistic option for security. I also like the HOS gun buff with the snare mode, making it the only dragnet now but with a disabler/laser/ion attached to it which is cool