What is the difference between hard crit and death?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

What is the difference between hard crit and death?

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #692639

Imagine five states of being that a spaceman might find themselves in.

Healthy:
The default state of being, where you have complete self-autonomy. You can attack others, run around, heal yourself, interact with all manner of objects and machinery.

Light Crit:
After being beaten to a pulp, the things you can do are immensely reduced. You can crawl, and you can speak, but not over your headset, and typically have no way of recovering from this state on your own (the addition of some sort of grenade contraption with a voice analyzer may give you some more power.) You also tend towards hard crit in this state. The impact that you have over the game is very little, but you still have the power of communicating with other spacemen, and can try to crawl your way to get some help. Other people have the power to do whatever they want with you as you have no ability to resist. If you popped an epi-pen before going down, you'll manage to recover to a state of autonomy after not too long, it doesn't take too much effort to get someone out of soft crit.

Hard Crit:
You can't do anything. You can't see anything, you can't hear anything, you have no self autonomy and can not communicate with anyone around you.
Yet by the mechanics and rules of the game you are for all intents and purposes "alive." Harming a human in hardcrit still counts as human harm. Chemicals that only work on living players still work on players in hardcrit. Unless you had some special preparations that can activate with 100% autonomy there is no way to pull yourself out of hardcrit. Without help, you will soon die.

Dead:
You are dead. You can't do anything, and you can't communicate with anyone. It is harder to bring someone out of this state than hard crit, and do to organ rot it gets harder over time, however it is still possible. As long as the brain remains intact (no matter how damaged it is), its possible to revive someone with round start technology. Albeit, if it is necessary to do a total brain transplant, the person will be forever changed to have a new body and name, mechanically no worse for wear.

Unrecoverable dead:
A state of death in which there is no coming back. You have no autonomy, and you will never come back from this state without being reborn into a new character.

Now that we have these terms defined, it seems to me that there is a discrepancy in how we perceive these states and how they actually are presented to us mechanically. In the current state of the game, murdering someone is not all that heinous a crime, provided you take them to medbay afterwards. A person can go from dead to fully healthy in a matter of minutes. The state of being dead is ultimately unimpactful, not any more so than being knocked into crit and then revived. People generally do not fear the prospect of death, and killing is not typically punished more than knocking someone into crit is, or hell, even handcuffing and muzzling someone brings about an effect that's similar to what we call death in this game.
This attitude by the playerbase is entirely justified by the mechanics that we have laid out. If death had some consequence past a slightly longer wait time then people would revere it more. But as it stands, death is pretty meaningless.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Re: What is the difference between hard crit and death?

Post by ekaterina » #692643

The difference is that being in hard crit is actually WORSE than being dead. While dead, at least you can spectate and chat with your fellow ghosts. In hard crit, you're not playing the game, you're just connected to the server watching a white screen. It's like watching paint dry. The only reason not to succumb is if you're about to be revived.
Is this a motion for coders to remove hard crit?
As to whether killing someone yields the same sentence as putting someone in crit... do you mean administratively? Because there's definitely a difference with security. Murder gets your head chopped off, except for those rare cases where circumstances lead the charge to be reduced to manslaughter. Putting someone in crit... it can be attempted murder, but it is usually just assault.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #692644

I agree completely with OP. The rules now force you to bring people to med after your conflict, so dying is essentially a nonissue unless it’s 1) by an antag and 2) in a hidden section of the station. Neither are very likely to be true, especially since most antags don’t need to murder anymore (which was a goal of progtot).

In the past death usually came with the risk of not being recovered, and that baked in all its meaning. Soft crit and hard crit were states you definitely didn’t want to be in because they meant you would die if there wasn’t intervention, and dying meant you could just be out the round if you were somewhere inconvenient.
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #692655

I have no idea what the fuck ekatrina is on about with regards to hardcrit, because you literally said nothing to the effect of what they're saying. But I would probably be careful calling for a more consequence being directly tied to dying. Death in this game is primarily only as consequential as there are the means and knowledge available to the people tasked with bringing you out of it can employ. Assuming they can, of course, find your body and bring you back into the round as 'you'. Technically, ghost roles enable literally anyone to re-enter the round, just not as their round start character.

There is a kind of a correlation of the more experienced a player is when trying to fix your state of death to the actual weight of that death in terms of mechanical impact. I could, as a player with an unreasonable amount of time in the game and having acquired a ridiculous amount of game knowledge, provide literally anyone the ability to come back from practically anything short of total body annihilation (and no extracted blood) with enough time and effort because I know all the tricks of the trade and how to accomplish it. For me, I can make death inconsequential, for myself or anyone who I wish to provide those answers too. You and I know these tricks, and for us, we can make death meaningless, as we're both older players with this perspective.

For the new player or those who actively choose not to employ anything beyond the bare minimum, your mileage may vary. Bodies rot without formaldehyde, you may have lost a limb, you could be addicted or overdosing on something that is killing you and your organs slowly. You need brain surgery, or you need blood. Death is circumstantially consequential. In ideal circumstances, it is not very consequential, and in harrowing circumstances, you're still paddling up shit creek trying to not be dead.

By taking circumstance out of this equation, and death is inherently consequential for entering it at all, you lose a part of that uncertainty with regards to how you'll fair once you are able to be brought back. It stops being skill expressive, I suppose, and now just a burden you get lugged with. It also adds a degree of severity to even funny death, and I feel makes the game grittier rather than what it should be, which is light-hearted and comical.

And, I feel most importantly, it makes mistakes while trying to resolve someone who has died or is on the verge of dying much more antagonistic. I would really prefer new players not getting escalated against because they accidentally stabbed a patient in harm intent with a scalpel, killing them. In our current system, that's a fine mistake to make, since they still have a chance to fix the consequences. In the proposition 'death is inherently consequential', many players will interpret this as grief because of the ease by which incompetency now saddles the burden of death with the victim, and not the person treating them. Either the actually inexperienced player is stuck taking the blame, or you've provided a means by which actual malicious actors can indeed obfuscate their bad faith behavior. Being deliberately incompetent is a lot more obvious now than it is in a state of the game where death just kind of happens in all manner of ways on accident, but even accidental death comes with a significant punishment for the dying person.

I think the cheapness of death is part of the charm. Focusing too heavily on a hardcore experience as inherent to the game rather than a self-imposed challenge is ultimately to the detriment of the game's theme and actually probably presents a degree of problems that might make it significantly less approachable for newer players to only the benefit of a minority in the community.

If this isn't an argument for 'death should be inherently consequential' then nothing need change because death is circumstantially consequential. What you likely are suffering is the burden of knowledge and understanding how to overcome and resolve death as a problem.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #692680

you are currently fucking around, you do not want to find out
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #692683

NecromancerAnne wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:39 pm snip
Your perspective serves as the opponent to my main argument here, and I think it simply represents a fundamental difference in how we see the game. I would personally prefer a grittier atmosphere, one with permanent consequences, not necessarily gutting someone's character from the round, but something to give more impact and weight to death. Death, I think we agree, improves the atmosphere of the game when it is cheap, I just think life should be more expensive.

I like the idea of something pristine being lost when a character dies. A permanent stain on their soul if not their body. Other codebases like lifeweb and eris have limitations on revival that add mechanical depth to the game and improve the emphasis of death. Even old TG had the idea of clone damage as a result of an imperfect cloning process, back when cloning was the only means of revival that could be done past a certain time window.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #692686

make it so if you survived the round on the emergency shuttle in your original roundstart body without dying once you get a 1.25 antag rate for the next round, this will make lives much more valued for the players.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #692688

Fikou wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:17 am make it so if you survived the round on the emergency shuttle in your original roundstart body without dying once you get a 1.25 antag rate for the next round, this will make lives much more valued for the players.
Does it stack?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #692704

Timonk wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:30 am
Fikou wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:17 am make it so if you survived the round on the emergency shuttle in your original roundstart body without dying once you get a 1.25 antag rate for the next round, this will make lives much more valued for the players.
Does it stack?
Yes, additively, so the second time is +50% rather than +31.25%.

4 rounds alive means guaranteed antag.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #692705

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:41 am
NecromancerAnne wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:39 pm snip
Your perspective serves as the opponent to my main argument here, and I think it simply represents a fundamental difference in how we see the game. I would personally prefer a grittier atmosphere, one with permanent consequences, not necessarily gutting someone's character from the round, but something to give more impact and weight to death. Death, I think we agree, improves the atmosphere of the game when it is cheap, I just think life should be more expensive.

I like the idea of something pristine being lost when a character dies. A permanent stain on their soul if not their body. Other codebases like lifeweb and eris have limitations on revival that add mechanical depth to the game and improve the emphasis of death. Even old TG had the idea of clone damage as a result of an imperfect cloning process, back when cloning was the only means of revival that could be done past a certain time window.

Death being circumstantial fits better with a round being so dynamic. The severity of the death matches with the severity of the situation you have found yourself in.

Creating a "gritty" environment through punishing death mechanics isn't going to happen I don't think.

If you make death more punishing you don't actually give value to death, you just devalue the player's life after death. A player revived from dying to a minor mistake is not going to value their life if you've made living more tedious.

Death has little meaning to any player over 10 hours in. Primarily because players are scared of things they don't understand. Maybe not necessarily adding a punishment to death, but an element of unpredictability would be the angle?

Like if revival didn't always bring a player back as "them." Maybe revival had chances of giving players a new identity and memories. Maybe there's a small chance of you coming back as a non-contagious hostile zombie.

Stuff that isn't just "ok you are back but with a phobia of corgis" but things that actually fundamentally impact your approach and goals within the round.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #692725

As Lacran said, the weight of death depends on the round.

If it’s a low-threat round/a round where security is keeping things stable, then death is of very little consequence, outside of fringe cases like a miner dying when they’re up to their neck in hostile mobs. Most medbay visits will be stupid stuff like playing Russian roulette with all six chambers loaded, drinking till your liver dies, or licking shocked grates in maint tunnels.

On the opposite side, in rounds with high threat or a dangerous situation (typically mass casualty events), then the price of death can be high, because there’s no guarantee that revival is certain. I think I’ve been revived a resounding single time during a nukie round, for instance. Typically the more fucked the station is, the less likely you are to be revived.

You can observe this with players' behavior, players are less likely to go into maintenance tunnels just to explore, people don’t drink themselves to death, play Russian roulette, or willingly step into the clown’s 100% certain death trap hallway contraption when they fear that they might not be revived.

Obviously, you’ll have those players who have reached SS13 enlightenment and are fine with dying without being revived, but I would consider those players to be in a minorty.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #692750

I dont really get this policy thread. What policy is it advocating for?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #692760

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:18 pm I dont really get this policy thread. What policy is it advocating for?
This is the players club, and its a discussion of a discrepancy I find interesting.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #692766

I'd genuinely love removing revivals. It would stop people bitching about round removals and add some real weight to dying. Sadly since cloning was removed death has far less of an impact (which is I think the opposite of the goal cloning removal actually had). Way too easy and fast to revive someone these days. Atleast it is involved though unlike cloning though, that's good.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #692771

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:08 pm I'd genuinely love removing revivals. It would stop people bitching about round removals and add some real weight to dying. Sadly since cloning was removed death has far less of an impact (which is I think the opposite of the goal cloning removal actually had). Way too easy and fast to revive someone these days. Atleast it is involved though unlike cloning though, that's good.
I agree alot with this. I really supported the removal of cloning back when it happened but now its easier than ever to resurrect someone. You can't even rely on sabotaging the clone bay if you want someone to stay dead, you are going to have to bomb all of medbay to stop the constant flow of revival.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #692772

I disagree wholeheartedly. We shouldn't be looking for ways to make players enjoy the game less.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #692789

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:32 pm
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:18 pm I dont really get this policy thread. What policy is it advocating for?
This is the players club, and its a discussion of a discrepancy I find interesting.
Yah but like, what do you think about the problem?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #692814

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:54 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:32 pm
Yah but like, what do you think about the problem?
I think there should be more of a difference between crit and death, either by increasing the amount of agency a player has in crit, or punishing players harder for entering a state of death.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #692820

Play a Flappy Bird QTE to revive back to softcrit
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #692844

how would you even make deaths suck more without something crazy? Its better for reviving to be too convenient than too inconvenient, especially when its already tough to get revived if there is an active threat or your body is in a bad spot
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #692845

Bawhoppennn wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:08 pm I'd genuinely love removing revivals. It would stop people bitching about round removals and add some real weight to dying. Sadly since cloning was removed death has far less of an impact (which is I think the opposite of the goal cloning removal actually had). Way too easy and fast to revive someone these days. Atleast it is involved though unlike cloning though, that's good.
So instead of bitching about round removals, people are now bitching about death since revivals were the very reason why round removals are a thing in the first place.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #692857

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 am I think there should be more of a difference between crit and death, either by increasing the amount of agency a player has in crit, or punishing players harder for entering a state of death.
Yes
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 am either by increasing the amount of agency a player has in crit,
Yes!
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 am or punishing players harder for entering a state of death.
What we should really do is just remove hard crit, or at least remove the player having to sit there watching paint dry, while leaving it as a state where it's easier for medics to get this body back to health. Make it so going below 150 sends you to dead chat like going below 200 does, and going back into soft crit allows you to enter your body like being defibrillated does.
What's the point of not being a ghost when all you can do is look at one motionless tile and *gasp?
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #692899

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:21 pm Now that we have these terms defined, it seems to me that there is a discrepancy in how we perceive these states and how they actually are presented to us mechanically. In the current state of the game, murdering someone is not all that heinous a crime, provided you take them to medbay afterwards. A person can go from dead to fully healthy in a matter of minutes. The state of being dead is ultimately unimpactful, not any more so than being knocked into crit and then revived. People generally do not fear the prospect of death, and killing is not typically punished more than knocking someone into crit is, or hell, even handcuffing and muzzling someone brings about an effect that's similar to what we call death in this game.
This attitude by the playerbase is entirely justified by the mechanics that we have laid out. If death had some consequence past a slightly longer wait time then people would revere it more. But as it stands, death is pretty meaningless.
The reason for "murdering someone is not all that heinous a crime, provided you take them to medbay afterwards" is because of the new escalation policy per viewtopic.php?f=85&t=30194&p=619335&hil ... on#p619335
It was not the perception of death itself that changed, it was escalation policy that made players have to actually carry bodies to medbay.
And the difference between hardcrit and death is ss13 is dynamic. In low-threat, it's mostly just a speedbump unless you can't be found or found with your head missing. In high-threat, you're considered lucky if you're found in hardcrit and brought to medbay because then you won't have to join the corpse pile of rotting organs while the stasis beds are filled, as treating a person in hardcrit is considerably less tedious for the most part.
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:37 pm
I agree alot with this. I really supported the removal of cloning back when it happened but now its easier than ever to resurrect someone. You can't even rely on sabotaging the clone bay if you want someone to stay dead, you are going to have to bomb all of medbay to stop the constant flow of revival.
If you really want someone to stay dead, that should be on you to dispose of the body, whether by hiding it or spacing it or any other of the methods. Removing revivals codewise is one of the most extreme solutions, as it results in a paradigm shift in how players and admins now treat death.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #692923

Archie700 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:53 am
So instead of bitching about round removals, people are now bitching about death since revivals were the very reason why round removals are a thing in the first place.
Yes and they can get over it.

Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #692940

if you just don’t die then this never becomes a problem
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #692948

yeah archie is correct the new escalation rules forcing revival after death kind of fucked things up and made it feel cheap

that said i wouldn’t want to see the crit system changed at all. it makes sense to be unconscious and unable to interact in hardcrit, it’s different from death because you can be easily healed back up without needing medbay and a defib
Spoiler:
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #693024

ekaterina wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:22 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 am I think there should be more of a difference between crit and death, either by increasing the amount of agency a player has in crit, or punishing players harder for entering a state of death.
Yes
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 am either by increasing the amount of agency a player has in crit,
Yes!
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:12 am or punishing players harder for entering a state of death.
What we should really do is just remove hard crit, or at least remove the player having to sit there watching paint dry, while leaving it as a state where it's easier for medics to get this body back to health. Make it so going below 150 sends you to dead chat like going below 200 does, and going back into soft crit allows you to enter your body like being defibrillated does.
What's the point of not being a ghost when all you can do is look at one motionless tile and *gasp?
it would be cool if the closer you got to death you would start hearing and seeing ghosts, but also i agree with ekaterina on this
respect (let him do his thing)
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #693045

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:55 pm I agree completely with OP. The rules now force you to bring people to med after your conflict
I assure you if someone starts a random fight with me over nonsense I am not dragging them to medbay and I don't know what weird burger king manager thinks that's how human interaction goes, and I definitely don't expect to be dragged there if I start something.

They're not my friend and I'm not enough of a fucking shithead to crit someone over something minor enough for me to drag them to med at the end of it. You really shouldn't have non antags critting eachother so often over trash and nonsense that you need daycare rules.

This shit getting pussified for real. Make your bed, sleep in it, SS13 runs off the law of the jungle.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
massa

Post by massa » #693046

To that end, SS13 is an exercise in Free Will.

Let people suffer the consequences of their actions in a human driven environment.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #693067

massa wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:07 pm I assure you if someone starts a random fight with me over nonsense I am not dragging them to medbay and I don't know what weird burger king manager thinks that's how human interaction goes, and I definitely don't expect to be dragged there if I start something.

They're not my friend and I'm not enough of a fucking shithead to crit someone over something minor enough for me to drag them to med at the end of it. You really shouldn't have non antags critting eachother so often over trash and nonsense that you need daycare rules.

This shit getting pussified for real. Make your bed, sleep in it, SS13 runs off the law of the jungle.
It may not be right, but it is offical policy to drag your opponents back to medbay and then forget about the incident.
If a conflict leads to violence and either participant is incapacitated, the standing participant is expected to make an effort to treat the other, unless they have reason to believe the other was an antagonist. Once treated the conflict is over; any new conflict with either individual must escalate once again. If you get into a conflict again with that individual, they may be removed permanently from the round.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
massa

Post by massa » #693077

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:45 pm
massa wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:07 pm I assure you if someone starts a random fight with me over nonsense I am not dragging them to medbay and I don't know what weird burger king manager thinks that's how human interaction goes, and I definitely don't expect to be dragged there if I start something.

It may not be right, but it is offical policy to drag your opponents back to medbay and then forget about the incident.
If a conflict leads to violence and either participant is incapacitated, the standing participant is expected to make an effort to treat the other, unless they have reason to believe the other was an antagonist. Once treated the conflict is over; any new conflict with either individual must escalate once again. If you get into a conflict again with that individual, they may be removed permanently from the round.
a lizard critting himself over the toolbelt on my waist getting left in maints is

most assuredly

not my problem
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #693095

for once i'm looking forward to seeing oranges come in here just to say "no"
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #693103

massa wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:41 pm a lizard critting himself over the toolbelt on my waist getting left in maints is

most assuredly

not my problem
keep in mind

if they’re acting like an antag you don’t have to bring em to medbay after killing them cause they fall under valid policy
Spoiler:
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #693304

We should replace hardcrit with D&D deathsaves. Every ten seconds, you randomly gain an invisible success or failure token, 50/50 chance*. Every failure brings you closer to death, and three will make you dead. Successes don't individually change anything, but if you roll 3, you're brought to lightcrit and stabilized there. You'll neither recover from light crit nor seep back into hard without outside effects, but you can still crawl around. Dying or recovering to light crit wipe the current token counter.

Since damage in hardcrit still takes your health down, being attacked would fundamentally be a failed roll, even though it doesn't actually give you a fail token.

*D&D counts 10 as a success but eleven twentieths is an awkward ratio.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"