Doktur Explosions Internal Affairs Intern

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Doktur Explosions Internal Affairs Intern

Post by Kendrickorium » #693079

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34389

what if we changed the rule that revs DOESNT override individual antag??
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Re: Doktur Explosions Internal Affairs Intern

Post by Capsandi » #693083

Holy shit sine when are IAA in rotation lets fucking goo oh wait does he mean the traitor flavor rip boe also can we get blood bros back on lrp thx
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #693099

His reply was pretty shitty but come on... a permanent ban for bombing as an antag? This is ridiculous. It's disgraceful to have an admin trainer give such unholy bans.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #693113

Something is needed this to be a perma ban me thinks...
  • Either he has no playtime (but he says he played a lot)
  • Was disconnected for the bwoink
  • Was not cooperative in ahelp
  • Or had lots of notes.
If none of the above apply then why a perma ban instead of a major note? Based on what he written he just misunderstood the rules. He said he had to read it instead of being told.
My guess was the not cooperative part.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #693117

I wouldn't have cared about this appeal except they LIED. They copied their ban reason but changed the 3 to a 2 to make them seem more reasonable.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #693118

WineAllWine wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:43 am I wouldn't have cared about this appeal except they LIED. They copied their ban reason but changed the 3 to a 2 to make them seem more reasonable.
Ooh now that is some spice!!
Yeah, don't lie in appeals. I wonder how he will explain that away.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #693119

Constellado wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:47 am
WineAllWine wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:43 am I wouldn't have cared about this appeal except they LIED. They copied their ban reason but changed the 3 to a 2 to make them seem more reasonable.
Ooh now that is some spice!!
Yeah, don't lie in appeals. I wonder how he will explain that away.
It was also totally unnecessary. If they went with the "Oh I thought revs could kill whatever" they might have got the benefit of the doubt. But lying in an appeal....It's not gonna look good. I know Iain, Timber and Kieth very well and I'd put serious money on this appeal being denied
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #693127

It's possible he hit the 2 key instead of 3 when writing down the ban reason, they are right next to each other after all. Why would you assume malice when he would have nothing to gain from it?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #693134

idk it'd be a very weird thing to lie about, it's not like 2 looks that much better than 3. but it also looks copypasted for the most part (except he didn't capitalize "Has")... so why would that one number be off? IDK I'd say there's a 60%-70% chance he lied but that's not quite enough to be sure IMO
Spoiler:
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #693143

yeah i dont really see a reason to assume its a lie
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #693161

if he plays intermittently i doubt he'd be keeping tracks of how many notes he had for bombing dudes so i dont see the "liar liar pants on fire" argument
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693165

Bombing the captain for demoting him is soooo based. Killing someone for demoting you should be 100% valid, current policy needs to go.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #693166

Do you revert back to being a solo antag if the revolution wins?
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #693167

dirk_mcblade wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:35 am Do you revert back to being a solo antag if the revolution wins?
yea, we have a very cursed flowchart for what directives you should follow if you're more than 1 antagonist type:
Antagonist Directive Priorities wrote:Brainwashing/construct orders/Silicon Laws -> Cult -> Revs -> Blood Brother -> Wizard Apprentice/Abductor Teams/Other niche antags -> Nuke Ops -> Traitors
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #693178

dendydoom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:38 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:35 am Do you revert back to being a solo antag if the revolution wins?
yea, we have a very cursed flowchart for what directives you should follow if you're more than 1 antagonist type:
Antagonist Directive Priorities wrote:Brainwashing/construct orders/Silicon Laws -> Cult -> Revs -> Blood Brother -> Wizard Apprentice/Abductor Teams/Other niche antags -> Nuke Ops -> Traitors
That doesn't explain what do after revolution
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #693182

dirk_mcblade wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:26 pm
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:38 am
That doesn't explain what do after revolution
apologies - i don't think i interpreted the question correctly.

when the revolution ends (either in a victory or defeat) then no one is a revolutionary anymore because there is no longer a revolution. with a victory, in an IC sense, centcom are writing the station off as a lost cause and leaving it to its own successfully unionized devices. in that case, you are free to move onto your next directive. if you're a traitor rev, then after the revolution ends you're just a traitor and are free to go back to traitoring.

hope this helps!
NSFW:
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #693183

ekaterina wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:40 pm His reply was pretty shitty but come on... a permanent ban for bombing as an antag? This is ridiculous. It's disgraceful to have an admin trainer give such unholy bans.
Haha, I can see why you accumulate a reputation of having bad takes.
(Like you formed this opinion before I'd even posted a response, having more complete information is a good idea before settling on a take, at the very least)
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #693185

The round continuing after revs was a mistake.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693188

Atlanta-Ned wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:37 pm The round continuing after revs was a mistake.
So true. You're a c*der, can't you fix it?
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #693192

ekaterina wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:27 am Bombing the captain for demoting him is soooo based. Killing someone for demoting you should be 100% valid, current policy needs to go.
You cant do anything to resist a valid demotion, but if you are getting screwed over by your boss feel free to punch their nerd glasses off
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693194

TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:17 pm
ekaterina wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:27 am Bombing the captain for demoting him is soooo based. Killing someone for demoting you should be 100% valid, current policy needs to go.
You cant do anything to resist a valid demotion, but if you are getting screwed over by your boss feel free to punch their nerd glasses off
I shouldn't get meta protections when I demote someone for being a deranged shitsec. That person will be angry at me, which makes total sense, and I should have to be on the lookout dealing with the consequences of my choice.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #693196

ekaterina wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:12 pm I shouldn't get meta protections when I demote someone for being a deranged shitsec. That person will be angry at me, which makes total sense, and I should have to be on the lookout dealing with the consequences of my choice.
What? So if someone is being a shitter in my department and I decide to demote them, under your idea of what rules should be, I'm basically just giving them a pass to be a bigger shitter and grief me personally? Sounds like there's no point ever demoting anyone then if that makes you 'valid'. Instead I should just have them brigged I guess. Do you think having someone else arrested for a valid reason also should make you valid to that person? Despite them starting the whole thing. Closer to what I'd call kill baiting at that point than anything remotely compatible with current rules.

(Edit: And EVEN IF, that still wont authorise you to use area effect weapons in your personal grudge)
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693198

iain0 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:24 pm
ekaterina wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:12 pm I shouldn't get meta protections when I demote someone for being a deranged shitsec. That person will be angry at me, which makes total sense, and I should have to be on the lookout dealing with the consequences of my choice.
So if someone is being a shitter in my department and I decide to demote them, under your idea of what rules should be, I'm basically just giving them a pass to be a bigger shitter and grief me personally?
You're giving him a pass to fuck around and find out. If you don't think you can win the fight, don't start conflicts. Get someone more robust from security, or the captain, to deal with it instead.
It makes no sense that you can just escalate an issue and massively harm a person's round by demoting that person and face no consequences whatsoever as long as it's a valid demotion. These metaprotections make no IC sense and break the immersion.
iain0 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:24 pm Do you think having someone else arrested for a valid reason also should make you valid to that person?
What does that even mean? You can't just grab sec like a puppet and "have someone arrested". You can tip sec off but it's still sec's choice and sec's conflict. In other words, no.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #693202

I don’t think killing someone who demoted you is all that Common
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #693203

ekaterina wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:12 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:17 pm
I shouldn't get meta protections when I demote someone for being a deranged shitsec. That person will be angry at me, which makes total sense, and I should have to be on the lookout dealing with the consequences of my choice.
you can be angry at someone for demoting you, as that makes total sense. Killing someone for demoting you when the reason is legitimate (such as being caught stealing from patients by CMO, or sabotaging rnd) is very flimsy though when you are not an antag. I think Jimmius states it best in his terms headmin ruling for the demotion === validity discussion
Demotions for a good reason are protected in a similar manner to valid arrests. Your boss taking away departmental access because you're using it to tide is no more grounds for IC escalation than a security officer arresting you for smashing windows with a fireaxe. You don't have to meekly hand over your ID card for demotion just because your boss requests it, but you can't do anything to resist a valid demotion that you couldn't do to resist a valid arrest.
Heads of Staff are expected not to abuse this meta protection: if the "demotion" consists of fullstripping you, taking your ID, and tossing you into the hallways nude, they will be treated in the same manner as a security officer doing the same. Command roles are held to a higher standard than other roles, so abusing the privileges of the role is an admin issue-- they've also waived their right to complain when you come back for IC revenge.
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #693247

ekaterina wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:56 pm ]

You're giving him a pass to fuck around and find out. If you don't think you can win the fight, don't start conflicts. Get someone more robust from security, or the captain, to deal with it instead.
It makes no sense that you can just escalate an issue and massively harm a person's round by demoting that person and face no consequences whatsoever as long as it's a valid demotion. These metaprotections make no IC sense and break the immersion.

If someone is being a shitter and you demote them, that should never be a pass to be an even bigger shitter. You are literally just rewarding the player with that logic.

Escalation should come if the demotion wasn't justified.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #693252

What? So if someone is being a shitter in my department and I decide to demote them, under your idea of what rules should be, I'm basically just giving them a pass to be a bigger shitter and grief me personally?
Iain you're a smart person, you don't have to engage with ekaterina
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #693255

mrmelbert wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:57 am
What? So if someone is being a shitter in my department and I decide to demote them, under your idea of what rules should be, I'm basically just giving them a pass to be a bigger shitter and grief me personally?
Carve this on a block of stone. Fill the carvings with glittering gold. Hang this from space so the entire planet sees it every so often.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693259

Not only is that a questionable premise, it is a non sequitur on top. How disgraceful of you.
Last edited by ekaterina on Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
conrad

Post by conrad » #693260

ekaterina wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:25 am
That is not only a questionable premise, it is a non sequitur. How disgraceful of you.
Why do you make such an effort to sound edgy? You used disgraceful twice in this thread already, so the effort isn't even paying off. Chill, dude.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693261

conrad wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 am
That is not only a questionable premise, it is a non sequitur. How disgraceful of you.
Why do you make such an effort to sound edgy? You used disgraceful twice in this thread already, so the effort isn't even paying off. Chill, dude.
What effort? Why wouldn't I use 'disgraceful' to describe a disgrace? Are you so thick that you don't see different people talk differently?
conrad

Post by conrad » #693262

ekaterina wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:28 am
conrad wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:27 am
What effort? Why wouldn't I use 'disgraceful' to describe a disgrace? Are you so thick that you don't see different people talk differently?
Yes brain go oinkidoinkers everyone must talk the same. Disgraceful, really.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693263

Lacran wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:59 am
ekaterina wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:56 pm ]You're giving him a pass to fuck around and find out. If you don't think you can win the fight, don't start conflicts. Get someone more robust from security, or the captain, to deal with it instead.
If someone is being a shitter and you demote them, that should never be a pass to be an even bigger shitter. You are literally just rewarding the player with that logic. Escalation should come if the demotion wasn't justified.
I've been on both ends. I've demoted players for valid reasons and found it extremely stupid that I could just expect zero consequences from disgruntled former employees. I have also been demoted for both valid and invalid reasons and it's beyond stupid that all you can do is cope and seethe and hope the admin rules in your favour when you ahelp. Both situations absolutely break the immersion.
conrad wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:30 am Disgraceful, really.
Based.
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #693274

ekaterina wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:31 am
ekaterina wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:56 pm ]You're giving him a pass to fuck around and find out. If you don't think you can win the fight, don't start conflicts. Get someone more robust from security, or the captain, to deal with it instead.
If someone is being a shitter and you demote them, that should never be a pass to be an even bigger shitter. You are literally just rewarding the player with that logic. Escalation should come if the demotion wasn't justified.
I've been on both ends. I've demoted players for valid reasons and found it extremely stupid that I could just expect zero consequences from disgruntled former employees. I have also been demoted for both valid and invalid reasons and it's beyond stupid that all you can do is cope and seethe and hope the admin rules in your favour when you ahelp. Both situations absolutely break the immersion.
If you have fucked up bad enough to warrant a demotion then you've already someone people don't want to deal with. There is 0 benefit to giving that player MORE leeway for revenge after their boss finally resolves it.

There should be consequences for being shit at your job, there shouldn't be consequences for firing someone who is shit at their job. You voided any right to feel like a victim when you failed to do your job basics. It's not immersive to have people in a role they can't/refuse to do correctly and it's sure as shit not immersive for them to then come back and attack their department over that.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #693277

Lacran wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:37 pm
ekaterina wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:31 am
If you have fucked up bad enough to warrant a demotion then you've already someone people don't want to deal with. There is 0 benefit to giving that player MORE leeway for revenge after their boss finally resolves it.

There should be consequences for being shit at your job, there shouldn't be consequences for firing someone who is shit at their job. You voided any right to feel like a victim when you failed to do your job basics. It's not immersive to have people in a role they can't/refuse to do correctly and it's sure as shit not immersive for them to then come back and attack their department over that.
Hard disagree. If you let heads fire people for being shot at their job, guess who gets fired? New players. I think firing/demoting should be reserved for people who are actively malicious, and fucking over the station/department.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #693278

vect0r wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:04 pm
Hard disagree. If you let heads fire people for being shot at their job, guess who gets fired? New players. I think firing/demoting should be reserved for people who are actively malicious, and fucking over the station/department.
The conversation is about should we be able to escalate off of a valid demotion. Your opinion on demoting people for being new isn't really relevant or a point I was trying to make.

This isn't about which demotions are or aren't valid.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #693280

You kinda did cite being bad at your job as grounds for "fuck off dont start shit eat your demotion you voided your rights to feel bad" so its an understandable response lol
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693281

Lacran wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:37 pm If you have fucked up bad enough to warrant a demotion then you've already someone people don't want to deal with. There is 0 benefit to giving that player MORE leeway for revenge after their boss finally resolves it.
You didn't address any of what I said. It's a mechanic that degrades the experience of both parties. It doesn't "resolve" jack shit, it's an empty interaction for one player and it just leaves the other player seething and ahelping.
And when it is invalid, either the admin bans the head, which is something, I guess, but significantly less satisfactory than beating him up and throwing him out of the airlock, or the admin does nothing, and a player got griefed and the griefer got away with it. It doesn't make it any better that there don't seem to be general guidelines on what constitutes a valid demotion - you can find admins out there that think demoting someone for talking back to a dumb head is somehow valid.
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #693288

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:37 pm You kinda did cite being bad at your job as grounds for "fuck off dont start shit eat your demotion you voided your rights to feel bad" so its an understandable response lol
in the context of valid demotions I don't think being new and actively trying to learn would be grounds for a head to demote you. Technically a new player would be shit at the job, but I think most people understand from context or basic common sense that firing someone solely for being new to a job wouldn't be valid in the first place.

ekaterina wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:38 pm
Lacran wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:37 pm If you have fucked up bad enough to warrant a demotion then you've already someone people don't want to deal with. There is 0 benefit to giving that player MORE leeway for revenge after their boss finally resolves it.
You didn't address any of what I said. It's a mechanic that degrades the experience of both parties. It doesn't "resolve" jack shit, it's an empty interaction for one player and it just leaves the other player seething and ahelping.
And when it is invalid, either the admin bans the head, which is something, I guess, but significantly less satisfactory than beating him up and throwing him out of the airlock, or the admin does nothing, and a player got griefed and the griefer got away with it. It doesn't make it any better that there don't seem to be general guidelines on what constitutes a valid demotion - you can find admins out there that think demoting someone for talking back to a dumb head is somehow valid.
I'm not sure what part I missed, feel free to let me know.

I don't think anyone that plays head kicks someone from their department and then thinks "man I really hope I deal with this person more this round." You say you do but that just sounds too unhinged to believe.

If you wanna fight someone fight them, if you wanna get a shitter out of your department you demote them, you don't need to do both.

Demotion does resolve the issue, you didn't like how that person worked in your department, they now no longer work in your department. Matter resolved.

Admins can fuck stuff up, but putting justice in the hands of the person who got demoted encourages shitters to not do their jobs in the hopes they can use that to hospitalize their bosses if they get bored.

I don't think turning demotion into a game of escalation cat and mouse improves the round at all, especially not for heads who usually just want to keep their department running.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #693290

Lacran wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:16 pm I don't think anyone that plays head kicks someone from their department and then thinks "man I really hope I deal with this person more this round." You say you do but that just sounds too unhinged to believe.
A mechanic shouldn't be based solely around what one player wants.
Lacran wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:16 pm Demotion does resolve the issue, you didn't like how that person worked in your department, they now no longer work in your department. Matter resolved.
How does that resolve jack shit for the demoted player? Look at both players' points of view, not just the head.

Heads shouldn't get to massively grief another player and be OOC metaprotected with the demoted player having no recourse but hoping that the admins feel like being on his side that day.

Furthermore, demotions should be subjected to scrutiny more like an execution than an arrest, especially if the player who was demoted can't do anything about it. Arrests take a couple minutes off your round, while executions, like demotions, ruin the rest of the round. In practice, good admins already do this, but the way people are talking here does not reflect that, and you can catch the occasional shitmin.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #693291

I've literally only been demoted once and I was a traitor doing traitor shit.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #693296

there are lots of IC ways to "retaliate" to something like a demotion - even if it's a "protected" demotion. i personally encourage people to take these routes because they develop into their own stories. talking to command, contacting a lawyer, doing petty things like yelling at them or protesting or getting drunk and throwing bottles at their department, these are just some dumb ideas i can think of off the top of my head. i've even been involved in situations regarding my own demotion where i contacted centcom and they sent a mediator to resolve the situation ICly. no one really expects you to just go "ok well that was a valid demotion so i will not be reacting to it in any negative way whatsoever" what we want to stop is people escalating a conflict that would be a suicidal endeavour in the first place. jumping to trying to saw their head off will not resolve anything and, even if it were allowed and even if you did win, would just lead to more repercussions for you.

"they slighted me so i'm going to kill them" is just about the lowest rung of RP possible in this game, and what people want to encourage is a slightly higher standard than the absolute bare minimum.
NSFW:
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #693297

this is why you make peanuts for everything

the CONTENT
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #693302

The first rule of lawyering - never lie. Just misrepresent.

With faded regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information