I regret voting for Timberpoes

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

I regret voting for Timberpoes

Post by ekaterina » #696518

Bottom post of the previous page:

I just read one of the dumbest rulings ever made on tgstation. viewtopic.php?p=695750#p695750.

What the fuck does "can't use it to fight back" even mean? Expecting a player to just sit there and let himself be beaten is absolutely immersion-breaking. It's beyond stupid.

Even if that wording doesn't actually mean that and I just misinterpreted it, this is still an awful ruling. Something as trivial and basic as calling a ligger that resulting in something as major as a player being "valid" is absurd!
Last edited by ekaterina on Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Re: I regret voting for Timberpoes

Post by conrad » #697309

5 pages lesgooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
conrad

Post by conrad » #697311

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:19 pm So why all the bitching and moaning over it?
The only people bitching and moaning are the ones sad in pants you get valid if you drop the liggerbomb.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #697314

conrad wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:25 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:19 pm So why all the bitching and moaning over it?
The only people bitching and moaning are the ones sad in pants you get valid if you drop the liggerbomb.
I am glad it makes you valid
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #697434

Everyone needs validation sometimes.
johnfulpwillard
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: John Willard

Post by johnfulpwillard » #697490

another happy timber voter
Your admin button here, coder!
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #697498

this threaad truly went viral
respect (let him do his thing)
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #697522

Which is peak tgstation and I love every second of it.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #697524

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #697525

for a second i thought Timber came up with “go back to ligfrica” himself and I was about to laugh really hard at the idea of Keith forcing Timber to come up with something racist to say “as an example,” Timber staring at his desk with his fountain pen, thick spectacles and parchment paper sweating at the forehead racking his brain for the most racist thing he could conjure

then i realized it was just something a Terry player got banned for recently. copout, timber
Spoiler:
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #697670

I'm not terminally online enough. I full on had a mini existential crisis when I had to tell Kieth I wasn't able to come up with anything else.

I tried googling common racist dogwhistles and got nothing. Racist statistics and I only got stats on racism.

I rely on the rest of the admin team to police rule 11 in that way. I just don't have enough knowledge of "that type" of racism myself.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #697735

Timberpoes' standing might be restored in my eyes if he actually delivers on this term's decision to end greenshit rounds on LRP (viewtopic.php?p=684282).
Banning the word "ligger" but ending greenshift is a trade I'd take any day.
Make me feel good about my vote like I used to, Timberpoes.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #697750

theory, ekaterina is a manifestation.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #697751

Coin flip as to if I put every server on 24/7 green shift.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #697752

Joking about ruining the entire server for everyone just to spite me is so immature.
Did Timberpoes find the fountain of youth, only to overindulge and regress too far?
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #697754

What wholesome way to call someone a child.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #697761

ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
conrad

Post by conrad » #697814

The experience is surreal.

I was playing a speciest human (it's currently my favourite gimmick). Saw a lizard being dragged into medbay to be healed and started spray-painting "gecko fuckers" in front of medbay, and spraying non-humans whenever I saw then after calling them mean names.

Some like 4 or 5 people gather around on CPH, and I go "look at this disgusting gecko fuck this guy" and spray paint his face. Some dude goes "yeah, ligger".

There's this experiment where they put a banana on the top of a ladder and two chimps in a room. If a chimp climbs the ladder and tries to get the banana, the other chimp gets zapped, and the banana is replaced. Eventually, the chimps understand how that works, and whenever one of them tries to go up the ladder, the other one beats the shit outta them. Then they replace a chimp. The new one, who is completely clueless, sees banana and starts climbing up the ladder, only to be dragged down and beaten up, without knowing why. All he knows is: going up the ladder = getting beaten up. Then they replace the other initial chimp and the generated culture is perpetuated: climbing up the ladder = getting beaten up. No chimps are getting shocked, but they are beating each other up. Then life goes back to normality.

"Yeah, ligger" is going up the ladder. Dude was lynched, decapped, and WE WENT BACK TO OUR SHIFT AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED. I was laughing manically behind my monitor.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #697818

conrad wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:00 am The experience is surreal.

I was playing a speciest human (it's currently my favourite gimmick). Saw a lizard being dragged into medbay to be healed and started spray-painting "gecko fuckers" in front of medbay, and spraying non-humans whenever I saw then after calling them mean names.

Some like 4 or 5 people gather around on CPH, and I go "look at this disgusting gecko fuck this guy" and spray paint his face. Some dude goes "yeah, ligger".

There's this experiment where they put a banana on the top of a ladder and two chimps in a room. If a chimp climbs the ladder and tries to get the banana, the other chimp gets zapped, and the banana is replaced. Eventually, the chimps understand how that works, and whenever one of them tries to go up the ladder, the other one beats the shit outta them. Then they replace a chimp. The new one, who is completely clueless, sees banana and starts climbing up the ladder, only to be dragged down and beaten up, without knowing why. All he knows is: going up the ladder = getting beaten up. Then they replace the other initial chimp and the generated culture is perpetuated: climbing up the ladder = getting beaten up. No chimps are getting shocked, but they are beating each other up. Then life goes back to normality.

"Yeah, ligger" is going up the ladder. Dude was lynched, decapped, and WE WENT BACK TO OUR SHIFT AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED. I was laughing manically behind my monitor.
based story
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #697819

logs or it didn't happen and everyone clapped
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #697837

dude thats so fucked up they just wanted bananas
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
BrolyButterfingers
Byond Username: DurrHurrDurrHurr

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #697848

I've been RR people who say it ever since I started playing on Manuel and have only once gotten a bwoink for it, and it was because I carded and dusted an AI who was being a racist shitter. Didn't even get a note.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #697859

the only difference between calling somebody a ligger & a scaleback is that one will leave you roundremoved & you can’t resist, and the other won’t

what? what’s the purpose? to troll some random dude who has the mental brainpower of a pea?

an issue i have with this is that a new player, somebody who has no idea wtf is acceptable or what is/isn’t ruled by policy will go “______ ligger” and won’t know that there’s a ruling against it, especially considering tg has a long history with ligger as a speciest slur
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #697862

saprasam wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:34 am "...a new player, somebody who has no idea wtf is acceptable or what is/isn’t ruled by policy will go “______ ligger” and won’t know that there’s a ruling against it"
A new player saying ligger, will die immediately. Also probably get admin pmed and told not to say that because its very naughty
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #697863

also that's the dumbest fucking argument I've ever heard Please barrel head first into the sm
Living God

Extraordinary Person

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #697866

saprasam wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:34 am the only difference between calling somebody a ligger & a scaleback is that one will leave you roundremoved & you can’t resist, and the other won’t

what? what’s the purpose? to troll some random dude who has the mental brainpower of a pea?

an issue i have with this is that a new player, somebody who has no idea wtf is acceptable or what is/isn’t ruled by policy will go “______ ligger” and won’t know that there’s a ruling against it, especially considering tg has a long history with ligger as a speciest slur
why would new players say ligger
its a frowned upon niche insult in a very niche game specific to this specific server
respect (let him do his thing)
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #697870

kinnebian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:37 am
saprasam wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:34 am the only difference between calling somebody a ligger & a scaleback is that one will leave you roundremoved & you can’t resist, and the other won’t

why would new players say ligger
its a frowned upon niche insult in a very niche game specific to this specific server
Never underestimate the sheer mental gymnastics of some people in the TG community.

"Uhm what happens if a player is wanting to get the attention of a lizard named "Bigger-Than-Yours" and he accidentally mistypes it and says "Hey Ligger"!?!?!?!??!11!!!"

WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #697879

kinnebian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:37 am why would new players say ligger
Because they saw it on YouTube, just like nearly everything else a new player comes in already knowing.
kinnebian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:37 am its a frowned upon niche insult in a very niche game specific to this specific server
How would they know it became frowned upon 2 weeks ago?
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #697880

Science needs more experiments inducing apes to beat the shit out of each other
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #697881

ekaterina wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:45 pm
kinnebian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:37 am why would new players say ligger
Because they saw it on YouTube, just like nearly everything else a new player comes in already knowing.
kinnebian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:37 am its a frowned upon niche insult in a very niche game specific to this specific server
How would they know it became frowned upon 2 weeks ago?
Ignorance of the rules has never been an excuse for behavior. If you don't keep up on headmin rulings, that's on you. And besides, they will probably figure it out after they get killed one time over it, hardly the end of the world.

And also, they didn't even ban it, so who cares? You can call lizards liggers all you want, it's just a challenge now. Make a fool out of them, call someone a ligger and then run away with soap and a fire extinguisher and make them look like idiots as they trip over themselves to valid you.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #697888

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:55 pm Ignorance of the rules has never been an excuse for behavior.
That is only true when the rules are "common sense", not when they're the most random and idiotic bullshit like this one.
On top of that, this isn't even a rule, it's a headmin ruling, which means only people who specifically go looking for it or already ran into issues because of it will know it.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:55 pm And also, they didn't even ban it, so who cares?
This is way more stupid than if they had just straight-up added it to either filter.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:55 pm You can call lizards liggers all you want, it's just a challenge now. Make a fool out of them, call someone a ligger and then run away with soap and a fire extinguisher and make them look like idiots as they trip over themselves to valid you.
Running away like a little bitch is not my idea of a challenge.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #697889

ekaterina wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:05 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:55 pm Ignorance of the rules has never been an excuse for behavior.
That is only true when the rules are "common sense", not when they're the most random and idiotic bullshit like this one.
On top of that, this isn't even a rule, it's a headmin ruling, which means only people who specifically go looking for it or already ran into issues because of it will know it.
Ekat, there is no difference between headmin rulings and rules. They are LITERALLY the same thing. I read and reviewed all the headmin rulings when I went over the rules early on (Which is how this appeal happened: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31709), you and everyone else should have too.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:55 pm And also, they didn't even ban it, so who cares?
This is way more stupid than if they had just straight-up added it to either filter.
I'll concede that it's not as straight-forward as simply adding it to the filter, but isn't this better even still? If you're pro free speech and want people to be allowed to call others liggers, you should be happy, and if you're pro censorship you should be happy because they can be beaten. Like, as far as awkward compromises go, this one is pretty good, don't you think?
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:55 pm You can call lizards liggers all you want, it's just a challenge now. Make a fool out of them, call someone a ligger and then run away with soap and a fire extinguisher and make them look like idiots as they trip over themselves to valid you.
Running away like a little bitch is not my idea of a challenge.
Then why did you run away from my point about them probably just getting killed once and finding out about the ruling that way?
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #697890

conrad wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:00 am Based social engineering.
This confirms that, for the average TG player, their bloodlust takes priority over their need to be pissed and bluepilled.
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
conrad

Post by conrad » #697891

Capsandi wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:00 am

It's probably the last Terry round I played a few days ago. Feel free to check the logs.

My play time took a massive dip after my move T_T
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #697899

conrad wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:00 am
conrad wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:00 am snip
It's probably the last Terry round I played a few days ago. Feel free to check the logs.
I was talking about the logs from the monkey experiment but since you cant find the logs from the round ill assume that didn't happen either
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #697904

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:26 pm I read and reviewed all the headmin rulings when I went over the rules early on
I did too, but do you think the average LRP spessman has?
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:26 pm as far as awkward compromises go, this one is pretty good, don't you think?
I don't. It's blatantly one-sided, biased, and it's intended to trick people who say ligger into making themselves valid without knowing it. It wasn't even announced anywhere. No MOTD, no soft filter, no anything.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:26 pm my point about them probably just getting killed once and finding out about the ruling that way?
You shouldn't have to have your round ruined to find out about a rule that shouldn't exist to begin with.
conrad

Post by conrad » #697907

Capsandi wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:10 pm
I was talking about the logs from the monkey experiment but since you cant find the logs from the round ill assume that didn't happen either
Apparently the monkey thing was a meme.
https://wiki.c2.com/?TheFiveMonkeys

Sadge.

As for what happened in the round, you're a big lad, you can find logs on your own.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #697910

Let lizards say the L word because its their word.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #697912

conrad wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:56 pm
Capsandi wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:10 pm
Apparently the monkey thing was a meme.
https://wiki.c2.com/?TheFiveMonkeys

Sadge.

As for what happened in the round, you're a big lad, you can find logs on your own.
tenor (2) (2).gif
tenor (2) (2).gif (443.2 KiB) Viewed 49201 times
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #697913

would any of you defending the n-word for lizards go outside and talk to a real person about it. do you think your logic would work outside of tgstation phpbb forums
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #697919

wubli wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:16 pm would any of you defending the n-word for lizards go outside and talk to a real person about it
This isn't the great counterpoint you might think it is. Discussing any part of SS13 with strangers, including but not limited to liggers, unless carefully curated, would make you look like a loonie.
conrad

Post by conrad » #697942

ekaterina wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:12 pm
wubli wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:16 pm would any of you defending the n-word for lizards go outside and talk to a real person about it
This isn't the great counterpoint you might think it is. Discussing any part of SS13 with strangers, including but not limited to liggers, unless carefully curated, would make you look like a loonie.
Strictly speaking, explaining the game and a lot of its memes is pretty tame compared to explaining ligger. The latter requires a lot of padding of historical justification for it to be marginally acceptable. (yes I talk about SS13 with my friends and even some family members I like this game more people should play it fuck you)
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #697945

This isn't the great counterpoint you might think it is. Discussing any part of SS13 with strangers, including but not limited to [the l word], unless carefully curated, would make you look like a loonie.
"Fantastic Racism" Is very common in fiction, and if the person doesn't understand the explanation they will for sure begin to understand when you start listing examples from popular works that feature it, like star wars or star trek. The biggest difference with ss13 compared to other forms of media (imo)is how much influence you (the player) have over the amount of "fantastic racism" on the station, both inciting and reacting to it.

Normally if you told someone that (in a videogame where you can create someone and completely customize them, including their species yadda yadda ss13 basics) you did not like the 6 ft moth ppl and called them things like lamplovers or oversized insects, they would either agree or disagree but not think anything further because there is no real world connections that can be drawn by you roleplaying as someone that is racist against 6 ft moths in the year 2553.

Do you see how that same hypothetical person could make connections and draw conclusions about you when you tell them that you call the lizard players the l word, especially with the context that it is used in ss13?

ps: Even coming up with fictional slurs for individuals that are never going to exist is also common , so its not like they "wont get it because they are a normie"
Last edited by TheLoLSwat on Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #697947

I've told people about the game. Only one guy decided to play and ended up playing on Paradise instead because of the racism at the time.
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #697951

yeah let me tell you about space station 13, it's a completely inscrutable game with a community that has monthly threads on the forums for it about slurs

yeah they go on for multiple pages

where are you doing
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #697952

TheLoLSwat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:25 pm Normally if you told someone that (in a videogame where you can create someone and completely customize them, including their species yadda yadda ss13 basics) you did not like the 6 ft moth ppl and called them things like lamplovers or oversized insects, they would either agree or disagree but not think anything further because there is no real world connections that can be drawn by you roleplaying as someone that is racist against 6 ft moths in the year 2553.
ding ding ding ding
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #698146

First of all you're ugly and no one likes you secondly if you were a normal human people would be interested in hearing you talk about your hobbies. what would make you look like a lunatic is that your hill to die on is the n-word for humanoid lizards. Get a fucking grip
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #698151

wubli wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:39 pm
First of all you're ugly and no one likes you secondly if you were a normal human people would be interested in hearing you talk about your hobbies. what would make you look like a lunatic is that your hill to die on is the n-word for humanoid lizards. Get a fucking grip
girl bossing all over, keep slaying
Living God

Extraordinary Person

BrolyButterfingers
Byond Username: DurrHurrDurrHurr

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #698153

NecromancerAnne wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:37 pm I've told people about the game. Only one guy decided to play and ended up playing on Paradise instead because of the racism at the time.
I stream the game, and for the longest time I waved my viewers off actually playing because the racism was pretty bad.

That said, I've been round-removing specists ever since I started playing on Manuel, long before this ruling (and long before I started streaming the game here), and it's been fucking awesome and great. Throwing someone acting out some racist bit into the supermatter without saying a word to them feels fuckin' excellent every time. Stay mad racismposters.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #698154

NecromancerAnne wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:37 pm I've told people about the game. Only one guy decided to play and ended up playing on Paradise instead because of the racism at the time.
tbh if they chose paradise it's us who dodged a bullet there.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #698157

"No you see the l-word is a way for people to get angry at you"
"But why do they get angry"
"Because it's funny"
"But why it's funny"
"Because it is, ok"
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #698160

wubli wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:39 pm
Reminder that you don't belong here. This is the forum for people who actually play the game.
Image Image