HEADMIN ELECTION 18 PEANUT:

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

HEADMIN ELECTION 18 PEANUT:

Post by kinnebian » #698501

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=38&p=698498#p698498
looks like the new election is starting
are you running?
im running
who else is running?
are you excited for anyone in particular
have you already decided who you want to vote for?
respect (let him do his thing)
kinnebian

Re: HEADMIN ELECTION 18 PEANUT:

Post by kinnebian » #699920

The Wrench wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:48 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:57 pm If your headmin campaign is making one config change just make a policy thread instead. Also there are 5 good options, slight, Fikou, chesh, kinneb, iain. Most of it is just bait, and the MRP headmin stuff is a terrible idea serving only to further divide the community and will eventually just lead to a fork.
Is that a bad thing? That’s clearly the direction Manuel is heading regardless. The reunification project failed, and the MRP and the LRP player bases are almost so different they are all but practically independent already.

Why not let Manuel do it’s own thing?
I completely disagree. I admin and play on both LRP and MRP, I think the divide between the two is massively exaggerated. What code differences would manuel even have? A fork would just lead to one codebase dying and another being severely weakened. We just dont have the amount of coders and maintainers for it.

MRP and LRP players are, as much as each side would hate to admit it, not that different in the end.
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #699924

TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:57 pm If your headmin campaign is making one config change just make a policy thread instead. Also there are 5 good options, slight, Fikou, chesh, kinneb, iain. Most of it is just bait, and the MRP headmin stuff is a terrible idea serving only to further divide the community and will eventually just lead to a fork.
Is that a bad thing? That’s clearly the direction Manuel is heading regardless. The reunification project failed, and the MRP and the LRP player bases are almost so different they are all but practically independent already.

alright let's cut back the shitposting for a second and get serious here

wrench is right. none of the sybil admins play on manuel and don't want to admin on manuel because it's not their community. it's mostly the same for manuel admins on sybil.

it's high time we stopped pretending these two communities can be unified, and i'm absolutely going to put in my headmin platform "i'm not going to fuck with manuel, they can do their own thing" because it's not my community. terry, basil, and sybil are interchangeable--we all play the game the same--but manuel? man, manuel ain't needin' no direction from LRP admins. you guys can and should choose your own rules without LRP-centric input

it's a policy issue not a codebase issue

"lead to a fork" giving manuel more autonomy is the opposite of that

kinneb, you're the exception. how the fuck do you swap servers so often
Spoiler:

Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #699927

kinnebian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:58 pm
I completely disagree. I admin and play on both LRP and MRP, I think the divide between the two is massively exaggerated. What code differences would manuel even have? A fork would just lead to one codebase dying and another being severely weakened. We just don't have the amount of coders and maintainers for it.

MRP and LRP players are, as much as each side would hate to admit it, not that different in the end.
These are the MRP-specific rulings.

Very cool, I think they should be able to have their own rulesets, they demand a higher RP level, and as such their policy should mirror that.

But also, from a config/code end; there are debates about what heretics should do on sacrifice, use of blood brothers, and arguably AI lawsets.

I won't pretend like I understand the manny culture, but myself, and I believe some of the others running like Scriptis and Pepper just want manny to be able to do their thing that makes them happy without it interfering with our things and what makes us happy.

They can feel free to correct me.
► Show Spoiler
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #699928

Pepper wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:55 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:57 pm the MRP headmin stuff is a terrible idea serving only to further divide the community and will eventually just lead to a fork.
Explain to me why this is a bad thing. MSO has always been interested in an alt-codebase server anyways.
Idk splitting the admin team, playerbase (even more) and contributors + patreon donators seems unwise to me. In the absolute best case scenario Lrp gets less overseeing from maintainers and a lot less prs from Mrp. In the most likely scenario the Lrp area will get less development than before and the Mrp fork will get the exact same. Without patreon donations from Mrp players we would most likely have to remove tts and several contributors will most likely just leave the server forever (both Lrp and Mrp)
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #699929

When y'all are talking about "MRP fork", are you talking about a split of the codebase? (i.e.: a forked repo)

'cos headmins don't make code decisions lol your job is to review bans, change policy and corral purple children.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #699930

conrad wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm When y'all are talking about "MRP fork", are you talking about a split of the codebase? (i.e.: a forked repo)

'cos headmins don't make code decisions lol your job is to review bans, change policy and corral purple children.
we are talking about how further dividing mrp and lrp through headmin decisions could lead to a forked codebase
conrad

Post by conrad » #699932

kinnebian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:20 pm
conrad wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm When y'all are talking about "MRP fork", are you talking about a split of the codebase? (i.e.: a forked repo)

we are talking about how further dividing mrp and lrp through headmin decisions could lead to a forked codebase
How? 90% of players don't give a shit they just open tgstation.org and click the Manuel, Sybil or Terry link. A fork of the codebase and an exodus of Manuel pop ('cos it's gonna be Manuel that splits in this scenario) is delusional.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #699933

Sure, cause a fork. If a fork actually occurs the fallout would be seen everywhere, the admin team would be split, and so would the patreon donators and most importantly the contributors. Lrp will recieve less updates as a result and stagnate in the transitional period of what maintainers even want to stick around. The direction shit is headed is not absolute and the power of a headmin allows you to steer is more towards unification, or drive us further to division which as I said won’t end well.
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #699935

conrad wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 pm

How? 90% of players don't give a shit they just open tgstation.org and click the Manuel, Sybil or Terry link. A fork of the codebase and an exodus of Manuel pop ('cos it's gonna be Manuel that splits in this scenario) is delusional.
you have the power to scroll up, conrad
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #699936

conrad wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 pm

It really isnt, if Mrp has its fully independent headmin/s you’ve just driven a large wedge through the admin team and once those two are split a fork is inevitable, why even bother having the same codebase if that happens.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #699938

Turbonerd 2024.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #699943

kinnebian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:58 pm MRP and LRP players are, as much as each side would hate to admit it, not that different in the end.
Gooooooooooood.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #699944

TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm Idk splitting the admin team, playerbase (even more) and contributors + patreon donators seems unwise to me. In the absolute best case scenario Lrp gets less overseeing from maintainers and a lot less prs from Mrp. In the most likely scenario the Lrp area will get less development than before and the Mrp fork will get the exact same. Without patreon donations from Mrp players we would most likely have to remove tts and several contributors will most likely just leave the server forever (both Lrp and Mrp)
TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm Idk splitting the admin team,
Already split for the most part.
TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm playerbase (even more)
Already split.
TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm and contributors
Have you seen some of these closed PRs lately?
TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm + patreon donators
Allowing MRP servers to do their own thing will only attract more donators. People who donate for LRP/MRP already do so exclusively for their respective server.
help
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #699945

Pepper wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:24 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm Idk splitting the admin team,
Already split for the most part.
Is not true

dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #699946

Scriptis wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:06 pm -snip-

wrench is right. none of the sybil admins play on manuel and don't want to admin on manuel because it's not their community. it's mostly the same for manuel admins on sybil.

it's high time we stopped pretending these two communities can be unified, and i'm absolutely going to put in my headmin platform "i'm not going to fuck with manuel, they can do their own thing" because it's not my community. terry, basil, and sybil are interchangeable--we all play the game the same--but manuel? man, manuel ain't needin' no direction from LRP admins. you guys can and should choose your own rules without LRP-centric input
Buckwild take imo. But that may be my internal bias because I play Sybil, Terry, and Manuel interchangeably.

I'm thinking of Manuel a little like Quebec (that's right we're going CANADIAN METAPHORS). Would you call Quebec unified with Canada? Eh, kind of. We vote in the same elections, we have the same federal laws. But Quebec is an entirely different beast from the rest of the country in culture, down to its predominant language. That doesn't make it not Canada. Non-Quebecois still make laws that affect Quebecois, they don't throw up their hands and go "well we don't live in Quebec so who are we to do things on their behalf."

Also Terry, Bagil, and Sybil are not interchangeable. Just like Campbell and Manuel aren't interchangeable.
Okay so what's your point
I think server separatism is silly and I don't think that the problem is half as bad as people say it is. Why do we have 100+ admins with different viewpoints and hundreds of collective hours of adminning experience if we're not going to listen to them about LRP or MRP.
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #699951

what adminning Sybil does to a mf
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #699953

uh huh tellem tattle. Personally I think lrp and mrp can benefit from learning from one another, both contain solutions to one anothers flaws. Separatism is just as silly as its always been, though at least we've moved past the actual fork conversation
Donglesplonge wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:48 pm"more events" is such a broad goal that i'm not exactly sure there would be anyone actually against it, so listing it as a goal just seems like a slot-filler,
fr
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #699956

Every time "I'm an LRP admin, I have no interest in MRP" is brought up it says one thing and one thing only.

You are not qualified to be a headmin.

Unless you admin Sybil, Bagil and Terry equally you're not even half a candidate. You're a quarter of one. With a tiny little babby world view. Because you're not an LRP candidate, you're a [home server] candidate.

Every single one our of servers has its own unique and disctinct culture and playerbase. Sybil is where good admins go to die, and new admin candidates go to burn out and quit. Terry is where Europe struggles with English as a second language. Bagil is where the same dozen players get antag then metagrudge eachother every shift. Manuel is the containment server, where people too poor to afford a mouse are put in a big box so they can emote combat at eachother. And Campbell is where all tgstation's greatest code exploits get found.

I'm supposedly the last person who should have to lecture anyone on how different and unique each of the cultures, playerbases and communities on each of our servers truly are. Maybe the secret is that I don't play, so I don't have small-picture thinking about just my home server. I have big-picture thinking about tgstation as a whole and how to try and grow a healthy and happy community. Somehow, I don't have my head buried up my own arse like a particularly kink-friendly ouroboros.

Term after term after term we've had MRP and LRP admins working together to improve MRP and LRP together.

We're supposed to bring different perspectives to each server. MRP-focused admins tend to curb the NRP aspects of LRP. LRP-focused admins tend to curb the HRP aspects of MRP. Working together we end up with two rulesets. One that looks inwardly and emphasises following the purity of SS13's gameplay. One that looks outwardly and emphasises following the scenario and setting.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #699958

I have to agree with tattle and kinneb. I've played on all servers interchangeably, and each one has a slightly different culture than the rest. As much as everyone's trying to convince themselves how MRP is soooo different, it's not. The rules are very similar, and if you actually tried to play Manuel you'd realise it's the exact same as the others. You can't RR antagonists on sight. That's pretty much it.
But the culture!
Terry and Sybil aren't the same, even if they run on the same rules. The separation is very similar to Manuel / Sybil.

Everyone should try to play a different server every once in a while. Server tribalism sucks.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #699960

I'd like to think of myself as a very lrp headmin but I feel that I was hopefully able to work with timber/mdoubt in some cases on mrp bans/notes. I think whilst lrp tends to trend downwards (people want to fuck around hard) mrp tends to trend upwards (people are afraid to fuck around hard). Being able to strike a balance that works is fantastic and you shouldn't abandon a server tbf.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #699963

This is a very respectable and serious discussion. Anyways the Iain0 update dropped and I decided to do myself after all. The fourth guy got 1984'd so fast I didn't even get to make a card for them.
Iain0.png
XPokee.png
Sightld2.png
Why did NONE of them have PFP's...

Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #699966

MRP / LRP divide is ridiculous. Not much else to say beyond what Timber's laid out. Every MRP admin works with every LRP admin, shows mutual respect, and constantly ask each other questions about rulings to ensure the servers are fun. Dividing a singular team into two competing teams is a waste of time, admin resources, and just headache inducing.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #699969

Timberpoes wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:56 pm Unless you admin Sybil, Bagil and Terry equally you're not even half a candidate. You're a quarter of one. With a tiny little babby world view. Because you're not an LRP candidate, you're a [home server] candidate.

Every single one our of servers has its own unique and disctinct culture and playerbase. Sybil is where good admins go to die, and new admin candidates go to burn out and quit. Terry is where Europe struggles with English as a second language. Bagil is where the same dozen players get antag then metagrudge eachother every shift. Manuel is the containment server, where people too poor to afford a mouse are put in a big box so they can emote combat at eachother. And Campbell is where all tgstation's greatest code exploits get found.
Cheshify wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:36 pm MRP / LRP divide is ridiculous. Not much else to say beyond what Timber's laid out. Every MRP admin works with every LRP admin, shows mutual respect, and constantly ask each other questions about rulings to ensure the servers are fun. Dividing a singular team into two competing teams is a waste of time, admin resources, and just headache inducing.
Timber, with all due respect: you have precisely zero minutes played logged on scrubby across all of our LRP servers! Hell, you're going to have to disquality this term's entire headmin team with that statement, along with four fifths of this year's candidates!

Chesh: much like most of the admins running this term, you also focus almost all of your time on one server!

You can adopt the perspective of the other servers without playing them. That's why we have the bus! But it's important that you don't step on the toes of (sub)communities you don't typically partake in without asking first. This term should properly codify that, once and for all, because, like it or not, most of our admins are either inactive or stick to one server, and they aren't going to cross-pollinate. We tried.

I agree with both of you on most things; but there's nuance here. It's not black and white. You both already know this!
Spoiler:

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #699970

brother timber has not logged a living hour since 2020 you are making the wrong argument here
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #699972

I think the point is that the admin team is not divided. Despite what servers we do or do not play on a majority of the time. Immediately after I was candidated for example, Namelessfairy came along to show me things, despite me having never touched Terry at that point.

Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #699973

Scriptis wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:56 pm Chesh: much like most of the admins running this term, you also focus almost all of your time on one server!

I agree with both of you on most things; but there's nuance here. It's not black and white. You both already know this!
Yeah, I like playing on Manuel, I also do spend time on Sybil, Basil, and Terry handling supportmin tickets or playing the occasional game of LRP. In all honesty, the modes aren't too different and furthering the divide by splitting the admin team up feels reductive towards reducing server hostility.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #699974

I really do not like the idea of codifying server tribalism (I am not going to sugarcoat this), especially since I play (and now am training to admin) both LRP and MRP.

Also, codifying server tribalism falls under MSO and the headcoders' charter. So good luck convincing them, especially if you don't have the support from the two other headmins.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #699975

It really is just server tribalism, which has always been bad. We're a single community who enjoys the same game slightly differently.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #699977

It's also patently garbage, the people who are unironically hostile towards the other server are mostly either shitters or have a "great personality".
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
conrad

Post by conrad » #699978

Scriptis wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:56 pm Timber, with all due respect: you have precisely zero minutes played logged on scrubby across all of our LRP servers! Hell, you're going to have to disquality this term's entire headmin team with that statement, along with four fifths of this year's candidates!

Chesh: much like most of the admins running this term, you also focus almost all of your time on one server!
Is this some cringe sybil cultural thing to go to someone's scrubby to disqualify their opinion? Scriptis I have only seen you a handful of times on the admin channels interacting with people. You don't answer questions or help trialmods get a better grasp of the rules. Most of your playtime is on Sybil, you have a tiny handful of rounds on other servers.

This instantly punts you to the bottom of my vote chart. I fucking hate hypocrisy. If you're gonna attack someone, attack their ideas, not their playtime.
Last edited by conrad on Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin

Post by Sightld2 » #699979

I would be a pretty upset if suddenly I was unqualified to come answer LRP tickets when no admins are on or Supportmins are pinged

Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #699981

The idea that any MRP admin isn't capable of handling LRP issue or LRP admins aren't capable of handling MRP issues is somewhat insulting. We take only the best of the best candidates, train them extensively, and make a highly cooperative team so even if you're having issues adjusting to the MRP/LRP rules you have an entire channel full of people to help you.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #699985

conrad wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:18 am Is this some cringe sybil cultural thing to go to someone's scrubby to disqualify their opinion? Scriptis I have only seen you a handful of times on the admin channels interacting with people. You don't answer questions or help trialmods get a better graps of the rules. Most of your playtime is on Sybil, you have a tiny handful of rounds on other servers.

This instantly punts you to the bottom of my vote chart. I fucking hate hypocrisy. If you're gonna attack someone, attack their ideas, not their playtime.
Chief, I don't play on Manuel and I shouldn't be allowed to dictate the MRP policies. The same goes for everybody else. It's consistent.

If you say "a headmin has to treat all of the servers equally" and then 90% of your time is spent on Manuel--yeah, I'm going to call that out!
Sightld2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:20 am I would be a pretty upset if suddenly I was unqualified to come answer LRP tickets when no admins are on or Supportmins are pinged
Cheshify wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:31 am The idea that any MRP admin isn't capable of handling LRP issue or LRP admins aren't capable of handling MRP issues is somewhat insulting. We take only the best of the best candidates, train them extensively, and make a highly cooperative team so even if you're having issues adjusting to the MRP/LRP rules you have an entire channel full of people to help you.
I think we aren't on the same page here.

Ban somebody flagrantly griefing? Go for it. But to actually change the rules? Dictate policy? Put a ruling up on the wiki, for everyone else to follow, until the end of days? Change escalation or silicon policy again for a server you don't play on? Do you truly represent the people you're changing those rules for?
Spoiler:

Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #699986

Scriptis wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:35 am Do you truly represent the people you're changing those rules for?
Yeah

Meme response aside, I won't be doing it alone. Ignoring the fact that I do spend time on Sybil myself, I wouldn't make a policy decision I'm not confident in without working with two other incredibly qualified head admins, an entire admin team, and possibly using policybus to ask the community themselves.
Last edited by Cheshify on Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #699987

Cheshify wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:38 am
Scriptis wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:35 am Do you truly represent the people you're changing those rules for?
Yeah
shit you've got my vote then
Spoiler:

TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #699988

please don't vote iain for headmin. not to say he wouldn't do well in the role but i don't want him burning himself out so better to keep him where he's at

let's vote for someone we want to see gone, like conrad! :twisted:
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #699989

the playervote is like right there and everyone is jumping off ladders through tables for the adminvote just run 2 events on each server per day and interact with the community zzz
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #699990

Meme response aside, I won't be doing it alone. Ignoring the fact that I do spend time on Sybil myself, I wouldn't make a policy decision I'm not confident in without working with two other incredibly qualified head admins, an entire admin team, and possibly using policybus to ask the community themselves.
imagine, for a moment, if you will, if manuel players elected their own council of people to dictate MRP policy without ever having to risk LRP-oriented headmin-candidate lunatics like me burning their server to the ground.

that is what i want
Spoiler:

kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #699993

TheLoLSwat wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:45 am the playervote is like right there and everyone is jumping off ladders through tables for the adminvote just run 2 events on each server per day and interact with the community zzz
but i want to play politics on the forums as well
Last edited by kinnebian on Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #699994

Scriptis wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:46 am
imagine, for a moment, if you will, if manuel players elected their own council of people to dictate MRP policy without ever having to risk LRP-oriented headmin-candidate lunatics like me burning their server to the ground.

that is what i want
The consequences of that are further driving a wedge between MRP and LRP.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #699995

Scriptis wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:46 am

that is what i want
are we going in circles or what?
Timberpoes wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:56 pm
Term after term after term we've had MRP and LRP admins working together to improve MRP and LRP together.

We're supposed to bring different perspectives to each server. MRP-focused admins tend to curb the NRP aspects of LRP. LRP-focused admins tend to curb the HRP aspects of MRP. Working together we end up with two rulesets. One that looks inwardly and emphasises following the purity of SS13's gameplay. One that looks outwardly and emphasises following the scenario and setting.
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #699996

i'm fine with MRP and LRP having different policies and different admins but are there any admins aiming to actually encourage more interaction between the two? be it events, or whatever? i'm soooo tired of the weird tribalism culture where you have people ingame going "must be a manuelite" etc etc. I play on Sybil, Terry, and Manuel, and honestly the servers aren't really that different. Manuel has different rules in theory, but not really in practice. And admins don't really do much to discourage that behaviour. A lot of Sybil mains have shifted to Manuel long-term, and I've seen Manuel players shift to Terry and Sybil, as I've had situations where Manuel migrants ask me if this behaviour is normal on Terry/Sybil. If the differences are that subtle that there's an easy transition, that speaks volumes.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #699998

I'll preface this by saying my horse is actually a giraffe, and her name is Sativa.

Me being so distant from the servers is almost a feature at this point if it means I'm out of all this wanky server circle jerkery, Scriptis.

I never branded myself as a specifically MRP headmin or an LRP headmin. They're pointless and meaningless labels. I don't pretend to know what LRP players want. I don't pretend to know what MRP players want.

What I think I know are the ingredients that make for some cracking shifts of SS13, and a few recipes to use them in. I'm a bigger-picture headmin. I want tgstation to be the premiere place to play the most kickass shift of SS13 whether your vibe is roleplay or action.

I try to empower the admin team AND the players, regardless of server or subcommnity, to make that goal a reality. And I believe that's part of why I'm currently finishing my second term as a headmin voted in that hasn't played a shift of SS13 in over 3 years. Because any admin or player can come to me, LRP or MRP, and get my take on something. And if it's MRP, my take will try and incorporate experiences from my recipes for amazing RP experiences. And if it's LRP, my take will try and incoprate experiences from my recipes for amazing SS13 experiences.

But it's not exclusive, and I try to mix the best of everything. A pinch of RP seasoning to bring out the flavour of the LRP broth. A complement of chaotic spices to garnish the MRP salad. Now the action-focused server can have SS13 moments with a complement of RP, and the RP-focused server can have RP with a complement of SS13 moments.

And it turns out those recipes are far more delicious that way, and make for much more compelling and addictive shifts of SS13.

Misdoubtful doesn't position themself as an MRP/Manuel headmin either. I'm pretty sure they don't give a damn about that. They're a cross-server admin not within tg, but within SS13. The picture they're working with is far beyond mine, and they're not only able to apply experiences from here, but they've been looking at rulesets from vg, Goon, Paradise, Aurora and many other servers. They've also had headmin-equivalent experiences on other servers. And that experience translates directly to us. The goal of a good game of SS13 is universal, and there's more than one way to skin that moth.

Kieth ALSO didn't position himself as an LRP headmin. He was the Player's Headmin. He wasn't on the admin team shouting for Terry player's rights or LRP player's rights. He was shouting for the right of ALL players to have kickass games of SS13. Whether LRP or MRP, it didn't matter, as a player Kieth has your back and has spent this term pushing a player-centric perspective into admin team discussions regardless of server.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #699999

Regarding the MRP LRP split.

Scriptis is right in that if you are going to make changes it must be done mindful of that communities standards and culture. The people that are usually more mindful are going to be people from that community.

Some issues here is that a headmin is not a server representative, headmin's regulate and mediate the entire community you don't get a choice in the matter.

Headmin's should always consult others when dealing with a situation or community they lack experience in. Ultimately you need to be able to make judgement calls based on the facts presented.

If you feel a server has a culture unique enough to radically alter rule enforcement then why not actually codify those rules as precedents? Saying "my culture is different" in a non specific way comes across as obscurantist and dismissive of another person's ability to make rational and informed desicions.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #700000

Scriptis wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:46 am imagine, for a moment, if you will, if manuel players elected their own council of people to dictate MRP policy without ever having to risk LRP-oriented headmin-candidate lunatics like me burning their server to the ground.

that is what i want
Watermelon is better when grown next to wheat, not seperately scriptis!
Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #700001

Cheshify wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:51 am -snip-
fuck it

you, iaian0, and fikou would all make better headmins than me

not kinneb though (sorry kinneb you're too angry all the time like conrad)

as of immediately i am stepping out of the running and sponsoring...
Spoiler:

and also fikou (i don't think iaian needs the extra stress)
in the meantime i will continue to brood within sybil until the end of my days

at least when i can get a weekend off again
Spoiler:

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #700003

AGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #700004

@Headmins hello? Give Iain host vote?
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #700006

mrp is bettered by being tethered to lrp. lrp remembers what fun is. it's the necessary foil that we need to create a grounded and accessible ss13 experience.

if you let the vocal minority, the vanguard party of "mrp has never been implemented the correct way", onto the throne then they will destroy themselves overnight. it will be unrecognizable.

we're stuck with each other, and it's better that way. get used to it.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #700007

Cheshify wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:36 pm MRP / LRP divide is ridiculous. Not much else to say beyond what Timber's laid out. Every MRP admin works with every LRP admin, shows mutual respect, and constantly ask each other questions about rulings to ensure the servers are fun. Dividing a singular team into two competing teams is a waste of time, admin resources, and just headache inducing.
I'm not advocating for some draconian, complete separation of the admin team. Obviously there is value to be gained in cross server admin communication. But what's so scary about having a dedicated team to tend to the MRP server's base? Especially when it's made up of people who have greater insight into the operations and needs of their particular playstyle. Why rely on a small group of headmins to do literally everything when we have the numbers to reallocate some of the work to people better suited for the task anyways?
help
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700008

Scriptis wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:07 am
Cheshify wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:51 am -snip-
fuck it

you, iaian0, and fikou would all make better headmins than me

not kinneb though (sorry kinneb you're too angry all the time like conrad)

as of immediately i am stepping out of the running and sponsoring...
Spoiler:

and also fikou (i don't think iaian needs the extra stress)
in the meantime i will continue to brood within sybil until the end of my days

at least when i can get a weekend off again
You're a good admin and a cool dude Scriptis. I don't want you to stop running because of a disagreement in server politics. It's fine to change your policies if you've changed your mind on them it shows you're open to new ideas.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta