I dont trust logs

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

I dont trust logs

Post by MooCow12 » #699642

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34678

He could be lieing he could be telling the truth.

But at the end of the day, the code that logs everything for admins is written by contributors and can have bugs in it, infact its most likely to have very very old bugs because of the fact that logs are very often not used within play and are more backend away where the vast majority of the community can still take a look at but only a small minority of us actually care to.
Last edited by MooCow12 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Re: I dont trust logs

Post by kinnebian » #699643

theres a conspiracy afoot...
respect (let him do his thing)
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #699646

I can safely say that I've never seen a situation where bolting or unbolting a door failed to log.

There's also reason to believe that they are lying here given that they were explicitly trying to hunt the heretic beforehand and were told by the captain that they were updating their laws to remove their human status.

Also, the argument that "our code is made by volunteers so it's possible it was bugged" is dumb and could be applied to literally any instance of anything happening ever in our codebase. That's like saying that someone who threw a body in the SM shouldn't be held responsible because it's possible his game bugged out and turned on throw intent without him realizing it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #699647

I just want to clarify im not making an arguement to explicitly defend them I just have issues with how little logs are scrutinized and tested, I would do it myself if I knew how to quickly do that on a private server.
Last edited by MooCow12 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #699648

Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:17 pm That's like saying that someone who threw a body in the SM shouldn't be held responsible because it's possible his game bugged out and turned on throw intent without him realizing it.
Funfact I bombed my teammate as a rev once because their "R" icon didnt appear next to their head and the admin (omega) had to inform me that I just rr`d a teammate xd.

Luckily i was recording.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #699650

MooCow12 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:19 pm I just want to clarify im not making an arguement to explicitly defend them I just have issues with how little logs are scrutinized and tested, I would do it myself if I knew how to quickly do that on a private server.
Logs are usually taken as law because the code behind logs is relatively simple. If a log fails, 99% of the time it's because the code for whatever you're doing failed and didn't actually take effect, so whatever was trying to be logged didn't actually happen.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #699652

Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:31 pm Logs are usually taken as law because the code behind logs is relatively simple.
One of my bug fixes was literally just a simple math error ,-, people make mistakes but i dont doubt logs arnt complex.
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #699653

MooCow12 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:19 pm I just want to clarify im not making an arguement to explicitly defend them I just have issues with how little logs are scrutinized and tested, I would do it myself if I knew how to quickly do that on a private server.
logging code is extremely low level, if it's broken there are bigger problems in a round like the master controller being probably dead
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #699659

I don't bother reading anyone's posts because they might have made a human error and typed the wrong words, I just intuit what I think they posted.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #699660

it's more likely they ctrl clicked the door and didn't realize that it was bolted in the first place. after all, it was their borg who bolted it, not themselves. there's also no audio queue as AI on whether or not it was a bolt or unbolt. i can see how someone can mistakenly unbolt the thing. it's also completely possible the bolt lights were off, but i don't know if logs would show that.

there's also a time gap of 15 minutes between the AI unbolting the door and the captain uploading the law. i really don't think they unbolted it deliberately.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #699671

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:05 pm it's more likely they ctrl clicked the door and didn't realize that it was bolted in the first place. after all, it was their borg who bolted it, not themselves. there's also no audio queue as AI on whether or not it was a bolt or unbolt. i can see how someone can mistakenly unbolt the thing. it's also completely possible the bolt lights were off, but i don't know if logs would show that.

there's also a time gap of 15 minutes between the AI unbolting the door and the captain uploading the law. i really don't think they unbolted it deliberately.
Probably not, but the issue was that the captain explicitly said he was going to change the AI's laws to make someone non-human and the AI did nothing to actually prevent it.
Spoiler:

BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #699673

The captain has a door remote to unbolt doors so its not like bolting the doors even matters to the appeal, it wouldn't have stopped the captain anyway. The only thing bolting does is stop the RD from breaking in I think, since the captain has a remote and the CE has tools.
Also, by saying "if you had at least done something to attempt to stop him it would have been better, but you did nothing for the full minute leading to the law change", I assume the admin means that the AI should have turned off the apc or turned on the turrets? But upload turret fights and apc fights are really annoying, so it's dumb to ban them for not wanting to do that. It would have just prolonged the inevitable, since the captain would probably sit there screaming until someone came for backup and uploaded the law.

unban James566!!
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #699681

BlueMemesauce wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:31 pm The captain has a door remote to unbolt doors so its not like bolting the doors even matters to the appeal, it wouldn't have stopped the captain anyway. The only thing bolting does is stop the RD from breaking in I think, since the captain has a remote and the CE has tools.
Also, by saying "if you had at least done something to attempt to stop him it would have been better, but you did nothing for the full minute leading to the law change", I assume the admin means that the AI should have turned off the apc or turned on the turrets? But upload turret fights and apc fights are really annoying, so it's dumb to ban them for not wanting to do that. It would have just prolonged the inevitable, since the captain would probably sit there screaming until someone came for backup and uploaded the law.

unban James566!!
He isn't even banned anymore dude it was a one day ban lmao
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #699685

Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:15 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:05 pm it's more likely they ctrl clicked the door and didn't realize that it was bolted in the first place. after all, it was their borg who bolted it, not themselves. there's also no audio queue as AI on whether or not it was a bolt or unbolt. i can see how someone can mistakenly unbolt the thing. it's also completely possible the bolt lights were off, but i don't know if logs would show that.

Probably not, but the issue was that the captain explicitly said he was going to change the AI's laws to make someone non-human and the AI did nothing to actually prevent it.
well bolting the door to the AI upload and turning on the turrets is about all you can do, really. which is what they said they did.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #699687

If logs lie and 90% of what admins go off of is logs, we're screwed.
Hugs
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #699689

Misdoubtful wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:50 am If logs lie and 90% of what admins go off of is logs, we're screwed.
If you're curious, the other 10% is spawning bears.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #699691

Dude's just lying and is probably a child. There's no way someone can be that unaware of everything, accidentally unbolting airlocks twice, accidentally reminding the captain their dehumanization laws failed, and accidentally let the captain upload. All that while hunting a heretic, then immediately killing it when receiving the law.
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #699693

Logs can be wrong, my first ban on SS13 was during the summer ball where the grenade wrongs were broken and showed me as throwing a gasnade into the crowd when i was on the other side of the map. People can fuck stuff like order up in logs, putting attacker as victim and vice versa etc. But it's rare, and usually fixed pretty quickly, and for stuff like bolting doors, there isn't really anything to fuck up. you just have an ai mob and a door.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #699705

Lots of untrustworthy types in this thread. Just look at 'em.
logs.jpg
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
zergking
Byond Username: Zergking

Post by zergking » #699723

I don't trust the admins. Literally the biggest validhunters out there.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #699725

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:46 am Lots of untrustworthy types in this thread. Just look at 'em.
logs.jpg
Roll for Perception.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #699735

I really don't like validhunter AIs
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #699737

Archie700 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:44 am
datorangebottle wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:46 am Lots of untrustworthy types in this thread. Just look at 'em.
logs.jpg
Roll for Perception.
What does this get me?
dice.jpg
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #699741

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:12 am
logs.jpg
Roll for Perception.
What does this get me?
dice.jpg
The logs seem perfectly normal.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #699742

Archie700 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:36 am
logs.jpg
Roll for Perception.
What does this get me?
dice.jpg
I cast magic missile at the log.

Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #699747

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 am
Archie700 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:36 am
logs.jpg
Roll for Perception.
What does this get me?
dice.jpg
I cast magic missile at the log.
The logs shapeshift to their original form, a group of pissed off red dragons.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #699748

Those don't sound like normal logs at all, I thought we agreed that we roll natty 20s outside of combat situations.
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #699751

dirk_mcblade wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:13 am Those don't sound like normal logs at all, I thought we agreed that we roll natty 20s outside of combat situations.

*rolls*

There are 20 red dragons.