Tacticool TGMC Appeal

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Tacticool TGMC Appeal

Post by kinnebian » #699909

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=34705

resolved already, but oh my god he pulled out the maps
respect (let him do his thing)
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Tacticool TGMC Appeal

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #699910

I should finish porting TGMC's minimaps
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #699918

This guy is one of the best people on TGMC. Great player mechanically and roleplayer when the opportunity comes up.

that said playing any command role over there is actually like herding a swarm of suicidal toddlers. people do the stupidest fucking things over there and then blame everyone but themselves for being a retard.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #699921

Reading that appeal was like jumping headfirst into a foreign stock exchange for obscure card games. SOM, Plat miner, FC, TAD, what the fuck is going on at TGMC? I don't think I want to know what any of these mean.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #699961

warbluke wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:01 pm Reading that appeal was like jumping headfirst into a foreign stock exchange for obscure card games. SOM, Plat miner, FC, TAD, what the fuck is going on at TGMC? I don't think I want to know what any of these mean.
in order. Sons of Mars, platinum miner, Field Commander, Tadpole dropship,
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #699976

You've made it longer but not any more clear. Please leave me to revel in my ignorance.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #699980

warbluke wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:15 am You've made it longer but not any more clear. Please leave me to revel in my ignorance.
mods,
drag him to the depths of hell
respect (let him do his thing)
AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #699991

warbluke wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:01 pm Reading that appeal was like jumping headfirst into a foreign stock exchange for obscure card games. SOM, Plat miner, FC, TAD, what the fuck is going on at TGMC? I don't think I want to know what any of these mean.
SOM - Sons of Mar. They are a faction hostile to Marines that can appear as an Emergency Response Team. Think of the Martians from the Expanse. An independent faction hostile to and independent from Earth with strong militaristic vibes. In the context of this appeal, one of the Marine's objectives to capture was located at a landmark styled after a Sons of Mars base.

Plat Miner - Platinum miner. Marines have a cargo system not terribly dissimilar to TG13. Marines need money to buy more advanced weapon and armor that are either limited at mission start, or unavailable at start entirely. This is where "the big guns" and the "fancy toys" come from. But they ain't cheap. Phoron and Platinum miners sprinkled around the map provide the money that marines need in order to keep pace with (or out pace) the xenomorph's own advancements.

FC - Field Commander. This person is the top of the Chain of Command for ground based operations. Squad Marines have no obligation to listen to this person whatsoever, but limited roles such as Corpsmen, Engineers, and Squad Leaders have obligations to listen to this person according to the rules. In the general day-to-day of TGMC, despite there being at least some requirements to listen to this person, many people do not care and continue to operate as independent individuals ignoring orders. Usually these orders are "RETREAT" because the marines' standard modus operandi is to kill the enemy and push regardless of circumstance.

Tad - Tadpole. The Tadpole is a flexible dropship that can land anywhere on the map where there is space for it. It is piloted generally by a Piloting Officer. As a note, the Alamo is another dropship, but it is larger, and locked to only a few prepositioned landing zones (generally the Forward Operating Base or the ship).

I'll try to give the best synopsis that I can for the outsider's perspective as someone who only has the context of the Appeal but as someone who plays TGMC.

The Marines have two objectives to win this game mode (Nuclear War). They can either collect all 3 disks (which is not a quick process) and activate the Nuke or they can kill all Xenos.

Our Field Commander here has elected to go for the Disks so far. They've already collected 1/3 and are headed to the 2nd, which is located at a SOM Base. The fact that it is a SOM Base is irrelevant, it is just the landmark where their second objective is present. After tacitly securing the area, our FC notices a couple things.

First, the objective is not properly secured yet. "Maze/Mazing/Mazed" refers to the Xenos' ability to place resin walls and make terrain more favorable for them fight in. While Marines control this area for now, it is still mazed, presenting a challenge for Marines should Xenos decide to counterattack the objective. Our FC is trying to rally marines who are orbiting the area of the objective to clear this maze and more firmly secure their position at the disk site. The default mode of engagement for Marines is to engage the enemy to their own detriment. They will push and push until they get themselves killed. The FC is trying to stop this, rally marines to an objective, and keep an element of cohesion before marines disperse and become vulnerable to a collapse from a counterattack (a "wipe"). This is a model example of being an FC. As an analogy for TG13, this guy is doing the job he signed up to do. We've all met command players who only took the role for a baton and tacit authority over their departments to use as a base to valid hunt.

Second, our FC has spotted an engineer extending the line to reach a Platinum Miner. Plat miners are valuable because, while located in more xeno favored lines, provide double the points of a phoron miner (which are typically located in the neutral zones). Wanting to consolidate the front and also hold a strong position, the FC orders (which is within his rights ICly and OOCly) the engineer to abandon the miner and hold the chokepoint at the bridge. This area limits the flow of xenomorphs from a specific area and keeps the engineer with the main force. The engineer tells the FC to his face that he will not follow this order and will instead continue for the Plat Miner.

The actions that follow this is what becomes the subject of the appeal. The FC was carrying an anesthetic hypospray and he puts the engineer to sleep with a small dosage (This works similarly to TG13's CMO Hypo, except higher capacity and chooseable dosages up to 30u). His intent with this is to, without involving admins, get this engineer to obey his order. He drags this sleeping engineer back to friendly lines and waits for them to wake up to reiterate their order. The Engineer wakes up, with anesthetic still in his system, and proceeds to go back to the miner. However, the engineer falls asleep again, and is mauled to death by xenos. The usage of this anesthetic hypospray to force people to obey their orders is outside the authority of the FC.

While this engineer is walking away, sleeping, or dying, the FC is on radio saying that if they go out there and die he will order him to not be revived and strip him of his gear to be distributed to others, both things that he does not have the authority to do. If it gets to this point, I believe admins expect people to start ahelping. The FC follows through with most of his threats. He orders a medic to not revive him, strips him of his gear, but does not behead him like he said he would (this is round removal. heads cannot be reattached to humans). These are things the FC does not have the authority to do and the rules prohibit.

Now, how could this happen? It should seem pretty self evident that this is a problem that you just ahelp and let an admin sort out if you're the FC (a role you have authority over according to the rules ignores your order to your face). But it's more complicated than that. In theory, TGMC is an MRP server. There are expectations for how people act and an expectation according to the rules to follow the chain of command for certain roles (in this case it would be the Engineer as they are a limited role). In practice, most everyone plays it like it is an LRP server. Chain of Command is often ignored. Everyone in Command can be collectively saying "DON'T PUSH THIS WAY, HOLD POSITION AT THE OBJECTIVE" and a majority of the marine force either doesn't have an obligation to listen to them (squad marines), has job content that is where the squad marines are (corpsmen), or has job content that is behind or adjacent to that push where the corpsmen and squad marines are (engineers). Then Squad Leaders and the FC have to either let them get mauled to death without their buffs (stuff like -20 or 30% damage or increased movement speed, pretty big stuff) or run to them and try to get them to pull back, effectively making it look like to everyone else this is where the action is and this is where I need to be.

Some people take these high authority roles (FC, Captain [they are two different people with absolute authority over the ground or ship]) and either don't say a damn word playing like a squad marine or are incompetent to the detriment of those under them (not using their AOE buffs, not organizing the marines, not coordinating their indirect fire assets [CAS, OB, Mortar, Howie]), and just generally not leading. Trust in chain of command is eroded. People are incredibly jaded when it comes to subjecting themselves to the orders of another person when they feel (rightly or wrongly for one reason or another) whatever they are doing is better for the overarching objective of "winning" or "fun". The hour requirements to play these high impact high authority roles is not high at all.

It looks to me like another case of the way the game is played by everyone differing from how the admins and rules expect people to play it.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #700135

its like in fortnite if your friend keeps running into the storm to get chests despite the fact that you'll definitely die if you have to drag him out so you forcefully make him get back in the circle

hope this helps!
Weston Echard on Sybil
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #700136

So did the good guys win? I'm not reading any of this, just a yes or no answer will do. Ta.

Also I keep forgetting TGMC is a thing.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #700138

AwkwardStereo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:49 am massive glossary and guide that probably took time to write
I just wanna show my appreciation to the absolute TGMC lad that Stereo is
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #700153

kayozz wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:09 pm So did the good guys win? I'm not reading any of this, just a yes or no answer will do. Ta.

Also I keep forgetting TGMC is a thing.
Yes? The guy went overboard in trying exert authority ICly by ordering a DNR and stripping an engineer. Their 2 week command ban remains. I like Oats, I think they're a great player, but the way things went down I can't really excuse.

Possibly the "biggest" thing that comes out of this appeal is the clarification (from the Head Admins) that Engineers and Corpsmen are subject to the chain of command and can be ahelped for disobeying orders. In the past I was under the impression that only Squad Leaders were subject to this under the FC. How far a Command player can actually expect to be able to effect change by commanding isn't something that I see or hear about being explored. There's the typical proclivity of people to not involve admins but I am keen to see in the future how TGMC admins will respond to ahelps of insubordination.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #700155

looks like a fairly common case of "Person sees somebody rulebreaking and decides to take it into their own hands but ends up banned because they went totally overboard"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #700259

getting wine drunk and running chadpole ops with random mfs from the manuel discord was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my sad pathetic life. tgmc owns dude.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW: