Concerning that mosin nagant sprite pr

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Concerning that mosin nagant sprite pr

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700058

And the other gun sprite do over PRs. The syndicate revolver in particular.
I've heard some of the spritemakers saying they're doing it out of spite towards gun fans, to make them mad.
But there's nothing worse you can do to the mosin nagant than what bubba has done already.
7376878_01_mosin_nagant_bullpup_640.jpg
trm47ycjm6k41.jpg
794ca3b3d9938ea9d7b9b2ee7520689a.jpg
9916838_02_bubba_mosin_quality_build__640.jpg
What you're actually doing is making anyone with an IQ above room temperature upset over the gun resprites.
Is this what you want to do? Spriting guns to make them bubba'd?
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: Concerning that mosin nagant sprite pr

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #700061

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:05 amI've heard some of the spritemakers saying they're doing it out of spite towards gun fans, to make them mad.
[citation needed] or this is honestly just flamebaiting.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700067

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:14 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:05 amI've heard some of the spritemakers saying they're doing it out of spite towards gun fans, to make them mad.
[citation needed] or this is honestly just flamebaiting.
Player's club is literally not searchable, go find the threads where they were discussing the syndi revolver I've got better things to do with my time.
The source otherwise is that I remember reading the syndi revolver defenders writing that.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700069

I've said it multiple times now but at this point I'm convinced that as long as your sprite isn't literally MS paint memeshit it'll get merged. Spritetainers really need to start shooting down bad/pointless resprites.

Pitch black lightbulbs? Sure. Merged.
Replacing the mosin with a generic bolt action rifle that looks both too fancy and like a giant blob of green pixels? Merged.
Cargo becoming generic guys in t-shirts? Probably going to be merged.

I'm not even mad that the mosin got replaced because "muh history" (although I am sad that it broke the "mosins have been used in almost every conflict since their production, even in 2023 meme), the new sprites just.. don't look good. Also some people really tried using the "b-b-but the mosin is unrealistic to still be used in *whatever the year that TGstation SS13 is set in I can't be assed to check*"

This is a game where you work with cat people, skeletons controlled by fungus, humanoid lizards and humanoid moths, on a space station, owned by a megacorporation. Said megacorporation employs full time clowns and mimes.

Early in the shift, the botanist unleashes some Killer Tomatoes from the film Attack of The Killer Tomatoes, he throws combustible lemons (inspired by Portal 2) at security, who are using batons designed after the stun batons used by the Civil Protection in Half-Life 2. This causes a person to go to the bar and they chose one of the many drinks inspired by movies or video game drinks. There he observes a clown throwing eggs (one of which spawns a chick like in Minecraft). In the back, a lizard person named "Drinks-To-Forget" is using a naming scheme inspired by Argonians in The Elder Scrolls, drinks a Cuban Pete, named after a very good bomb maker in SS13, and will later drink a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, a drink from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Later on, the crew is fighting xenomorphs from the movie Aliens, utilizing mechs both inspired and named after things from the movie Aliens. The captain uses his antique laser gun inspired by a gun in system shock 2, while the gun itself has a description similar to the kind that a dwarf fortress one would have, during the fight. In the meantime, someone plays as The Thing stalking the maintenance tunnels killing people, but runs into the janitor during garbage day, who shoots him with a gun. On the other side of the station, the antagonist from the film The Blob begins consuming a part of the station, who will soon be spotted by an engineer wearing a suit inspired by the suit used in Dead Space

But a bolt action rifle being called a Mosin is what breaks your immersion? Really?

MFW a reference gets removed from a game for being a reference (in a game literally bursting at the seams with pop culture references):

These are just some of the references to other things in SS13: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=34599
Last edited by RedBaronFlyer on Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #700074

firearm spriters must be stopped
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #700075

who gives a fuck
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700076

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:22 am who gives a fuck
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/77169

WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #700077

waste of my time and yours to get yourself mad over this
respect (let him do his thing)
Sealed101
Byond Username: Sealed101

Post by Sealed101 » #700079

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:35 am Pitch black lightbulbs? Sure. Merged.
this was tinkered upon later and they are no longer made out of obsidian glass (thanks Onule - https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/77594)

yeah some recent sprite changes were too silly, gun spriters are a menace
i prefer the term "issue tracker domovenok" for my kind

dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700080

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:28 am

They bubba'd my boy
don-vito-corleone-the-godfather-184856.jpg
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700081

Sealed101 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:32 am
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:35 am Pitch black lightbulbs? Sure. Merged.
this was tinkered upon later and they are no longer made out of obsidian glass (thanks Onule - https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/77594)

yeah some recent sprite changes were too silly, gun spriters are a menace
I forgot to mention that, they look really good now in my opinion. I actually like them more than the old lights (The pre-black lightbulbs lights), though seeing where a broken bulb is in the dark is still a bit annoying.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #700084

Then let met rephrase; I don't give a fuck because I do not believe anything contributed to this codebase cannot be reverted, altered or changed to improve upon what came before or be better than what was contributed previously. The mosins in particular are being redone again. And the lights mentioned have already been improved.

Knowing that these conversations are taking place means I don't really care about this individual change, because I know that if someone cared enough, they will come and make their criticism known by putting forward an alternative. If someone has a narrative they think is stronger than just a gun meme, I feel they should be more than welcome to contribute to push us towards more originality. And if someone takes offense to that and would rather we didn't have bubba'd mosin knockoffs in cargo, they should take the time to join the ongoing conversations, either via contributions or through civil discussions with contributors. digg downvotes are not that. They're the least useful metric for feedback, because it isn't even something that can be responded too or discussed. I put no weight in it.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #700087

Anne I like you but those discussions are pointless and people are gonna do what they want regardless. The spriter working on the misaligned mess that was the cratening literally said that they weren't gonna listen to "white names" (referring to non-staff members on Discord), while simultaneously engaging on a flamewar with them.

At least the spriter working on the cargo uniform was willing to listen and left the soul of it intact (i.e.: the lil shorts and different coloured undershirt). Bless them.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #700088

conrad wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:10 pm Anne I like you but those discussions are pointless and people are gonna do what they want regardless. The spriter working on the misaligned mess that was the cratening literally said that they weren't gonna listen to "white names" (referring to non-staff members on Discord), while simultaneously engaging on a flamewar with them.

At least the spriter working on the cargo uniform was willing to listen and left the soul of it intact (i.e.: the lil shorts and different coloured undershirt). Bless them.
Unless I do not understand what cargo uniform pr you are talking about those are both the same spriter
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #700089

conrad wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:10 pm Anne I like you but those discussions are pointless and people are gonna do what they want regardless. The spriter working on the misaligned mess that was the cratening literally said that they weren't gonna listen to "white names" (referring to non-staff members on Discord), while simultaneously engaging on a flamewar with them.

those were the same spriter, conrad
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700090

both of those were done by the same person, axietheaxolotl. The only difference is that they didn't have a meltdown over the criticism of the cargo resprite.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/75785
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/77456

edit because I feel like I was a bit mean:

I like axietheaxolotl/Viro's stuff, they just tend to look a little out of place when next to anything they themselves haven't sprited. As much as I absolutely loathe the upcoming cargo resprite, they did listen to criticism and addressed a lot of the issues with it. The sprites themselves look nice, I just wish they'd kept more in line with how cargo has looked for years now. Their resprited cargo looks overly militaristic and more generic sci-fi (which is a trend I'm noticing with some of these resprites), but that's a separate thing.
Last edited by RedBaronFlyer on Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #700091

and btw thbose prs were both written by the same guy (in case you didnt know) (i dont know if anyone told you this yet)
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #700092

someone had some good tweaks to the crates and then didnt finish the pr for some reason maybe ill see if i can adopt the branch
conrad

Post by conrad » #700096

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:15 pm Unless I do not understand what cargo uniform pr you are talking about those are both the same spriter
kinnebian wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:15 pm those were the same spriter, conrad
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:16 pm both of those were done by the same person, axietheaxolotl.
Call it character development. I obviously knew that.
► Show Spoiler
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #700126

That third react is literally bm why did they add that lol.

They already have a dislike button that third one is like a passive aggressive form of calling someone stupid
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #700128

fucked that there’s no :pensive: react for PRs that you know need to be merged but are sad about it (fixing bugs that I like)
conrad

Post by conrad » #700129

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:16 pm fucked that there’s no :pensive: react for PRs that you know need to be merged but are sad about it (fixing bugs that I like)
:PensiveCry: reaction when
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
BrolyButterfingers
Byond Username: DurrHurrDurrHurr

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #700158

The crates still look like dogshit and that spriter managed to make me go from vaguely sympathetic to them to thinking they're an absolute bag of shit in like 5 discord posts, and anyone who can turn a crowd that fast should quit their current gig and get into pro wrestling.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #700168

so called retrofuturistic when everything looks like it’s straight out of star trek
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Sk1Wass3r
Byond Username: Sk1Wass3r

Post by Sk1Wass3r » #700183

saprasam wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:53 pm so called retrofuturistic when everything looks like it’s straight out of star trek
so called retrofuturistic when we first get tablets that no one used and then those get combined with the PDAs and we straight up have smartphones now
3k hour moth player that no one knows :)
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #700184

pdas were better than the smartphones we have now
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #700190

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:35 am Cargo becoming generic guys in t-shirts? Probably going to be merged.
Someone resprite BESSIE into a wage cage
help
Featherfield
Byond Username: Featherfield

Post by Featherfield » #700192

I believe we should purge most spriters and replace them.
Edit: Sorry like two of them maybe three there arent many bad ones but god damn are they loud ones
edit: no its just two sorry
https://tgstation13.download/dip/discordimageproxy.php/attachments/ ... ltaker.mp4
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #700195

saprasam wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:53 pm so called retrofuturistic when everything looks like it’s straight out of star trek
star trek is retrofuturist as hell. it's 2000s media like mass effect that adopted the weird shiny super clean clamshell plastic that everything has now
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700204

dendydoom wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:21 pm
star trek is retrofuturist as hell. it's 2000s media like mass effect that adopted the weird shiny super clean clamshell plastic that everything has now
Yeah, I was about to say, some stuff is lifted directly from or inspired heavily by star trek (such as some department colors, the holodeck), but the mosin design isn't remotely like anything in Star Trek (at least not in the original series or The Next Generation, no idea about anything beyond that)
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #700206

replace mosin with phaser pr
(no mechanical change just sprites)
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700223

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:41 pm
Yeah, I was about to say, some stuff is lifted directly from or inspired heavily by star trek (such as some department colors, the holodeck), but the mosin design isn't remotely like anything in Star Trek (at least not in the original series or The Next Generation, no idea about anything beyond that)
Something similar to the mosin might be found in the nazi planet from TOS
BrolyButterfingers

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #700232

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:41 pm
There was a Winchester 1873 in TNG.

EDIT: Also if I remember there were also M1 Garands in DS9 and Voyager, an MP40 in TOS and Voyager, a modern Enfield in DS9, and I think even a Mossberg 500.

Also Andorian rifles from Enterprise just look like a generic-ass gun

Pretty much any wild-west revolver you can think of, they love that setting
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #700239

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:45 pm replace mosin with phaser pr
do it or no balls.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
BrolyButterfingers

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #700248

datorangebottle wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:33 am
Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:45 pm replace mosin with phaser pr
do it or no balls.
A phaser that fires a bullet would actually be so fucking funny
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700327

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:00 am

Then let met rephrase; I don't give a fuck because I do not believe anything contributed to this codebase cannot be reverted, altered or changed to improve upon what came before or be better than what was contributed previously. The mosins in particular are being redone again. And the lights mentioned have already been improved.

Knowing that these conversations are taking place means I don't really care about this individual change, because I know that if someone cared enough, they will come and make their criticism known by putting forward an alternative. If someone has a narrative they think is stronger than just a gun meme, I feel they should be more than welcome to contribute to push us towards more originality. And if someone takes offense to that and would rather we didn't have bubba'd mosin knockoffs in cargo, they should take the time to join the ongoing conversations, either via contributions or through civil discussions with contributors. digg downvotes are not that. They're the least useful metric for feedback, because it isn't even something that can be responded too or discussed. I put no weight in it.
Do you think any discussion would've resulted in the mosin reskin not getting merged? I don't think it was avoidable regardless of its popularity.
BrolyButterfingers

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #700347

dirk_mcblade wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:28 pm
NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:00 am

Do you think any discussion would've resulted in the mosin reskin not getting merged? I don't think it was avoidable regardless of its popularity.
A lot of merge decisions are genuinely fucking baffling to me and some of the sprite ones top that chart
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700357

dirk_mcblade wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:28 pm Do you think any discussion would've resulted in the mosin reskin not getting merged? I don't think it was avoidable regardless of its popularity.
BrolyButterfingers wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:48 pmA lot of merge decisions are genuinely fucking baffling to me and some of the sprite ones top that chart
No feedback is ever in-depth enough to satisfy. Everyone can be as kind as possible and they'll still be labeled as toxic. It is rude to talk about coders behind their backs, even as the coderbus/spritebus actively talk shit about the playerbase not appreciating their "content." Players are labeled as just being unable to understand, even as a decent portion of sprite/code contributors don't actually play the game outside of testing. You must play five million rounds with the shitty sprite/content to claim that the content is shit. They will claim you can always make a PR to fix it, even if you are lacking the experience to make a PR yourself. Get told to just get over the change, even as the person behind the PR makes a clown of themselves by acting like an idiot over feedback.
Last edited by RedBaronFlyer on Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700358

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:57 pm
dirk_mcblade wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:28 pm Do you think any discussion would've resulted in the mosin reskin not getting merged? I don't think it was avoidable regardless of its popularity.
BrolyButterfingers wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:48 pmA lot of merge decisions are genuinely fucking baffling to me and some of the sprite ones top that chart
No feedback is ever in-depth enough to satisfy. Everyone can be as kind as possible and they'll still be labeled as toxic. It is rude to talk about coders behind their backs, even as the coderbus/spritebus actively talk shit about the playerbase not appreciating their "content." Players just don't understand, even as a decent portion of sprite/code contributors don't actually play the game outside of testing. You must play five million rounds with the shitty sprite/content to claim that the content is shit. You can always make a PR to fix it, even if you have no desire or are lacking the experience to make a PR yourself. Just get over it, even as the person behind the PR makes a clown of themselves by acting like an idiot over feedback.
If I or anyone else made a PR to revert even one of those sprites back to something like an original mosin nagant it wouldn't get merged.
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700359

dirk_mcblade wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:00 pm
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:57 pm
No feedback is ever in-depth enough to satisfy. Everyone can be as kind as possible and they'll still be labeled as toxic. It is rude to talk about coders behind their backs, even as the coderbus/spritebus actively talk shit about the playerbase not appreciating their "content." Players just don't understand, even as a decent portion of sprite/code contributors don't actually play the game outside of testing. You must play five million rounds with the shitty sprite/content to claim that the content is shit. You can always make a PR to fix it, even if you have no desire or are lacking the experience to make a PR yourself. Just get over it, even as the person behind the PR makes a clown of themselves by acting like an idiot over feedback.
If I or anyone else made a PR to revert even one of those sprites back to something like an original mosin nagant it wouldn't get merged.
Yep. It's the illusion of being able to make a difference.
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #700360

kinnebian wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:30 am waste of my time and yours to get yourself mad over this
the only way youre going to make a change is by appealing to the spritetainers or oranges
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700362

kinnebian wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:03 pm
kinnebian wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:30 am waste of my time and yours to get yourself mad over this
the only way youre going to make a change is by appealing to the spritetainers or oranges
They don't actually listen to players. I get the "just appeal to the authority" thing but they're not going to listen. They almost never listen. The cratening still happened.

They aren't just going to go "oh jeez guess we'll listen to the community this time, fiiiiiine"

They're going to go "shut the fuck up we know better than you, get fucked"
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #700364

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:09 pm
They don't actually listen to players. I get the "just appeal to the authority" thing but they're not going to listen. They almost never listen. The cratening still happened.
then whats the point of this thread?
im personally working on picking up where this pr left off, anyways (i have been given permission from youtubeboy) https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/76544
might as well do something productive
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700365

kinnebian wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:12 pm
im personally working on picking up where this pr left off, anyways (i have been given permission from youtubeboy) https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/76544
"Why complain about thing if raising awareness to an issue isn't going to do anything?"

Why complain about environmental decay if politicians aren't going to listen? Why complain about the weather if it won't change it?

Godspeed on the crate rework.
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #700368

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:14 pm
"Why complain about thing if raising awareness to an issue isn't going to do anything?"

Why complain about environmental decay if politicians aren't going to listen?
ironically, my point
you have to take active action to see change, sitting around and shooting down the idea when someone suggest complaining to spritetainers or oranges because "they wont listen and never will" is stupid
the person who made the pr is a spriter, just a role on discord
they dont hold power over the codebase, because its open and anybody can be a spriter or a coder
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700374

kinnebian wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:18 pm

ironically, my point
you have to take active action to see change, sitting around and shooting down the idea when someone suggest complaining to spritetainers or oranges because "they wont listen and never will" is stupid
they dont hold power over the codebase, because its open and anybody can be a spriter or a coder
Right, so I learn to sprite. I make an updated mosin nagant sprite and put a PR in for it. Lo and behold it doesn't get merged because reasons. Yeah that's a great use of my time.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700375

"It's my thread"
https://youtube.com/shorts/qst72pHGU1U?feature=share
conrad

Post by conrad » #700378

You're forgetting that player opinion doesn't matter.
kinnebian wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:18 pm you have to take active action to see change, sitting around and shooting down the idea when someone suggest complaining to spritetainers or oranges because "they wont listen and never will" is stupid
Yeah let's go on the github and revert the mosin changes, that'll work.

Having some empathy is nice, Kinneb. At the very least, people get to vent. Going "you're not even doing anything", "this thread is a waste of my time" and "I don't give a fuck" is exactly what doesn't help.

What I would suggest to frustrated people is to re-add the mosin as hidden/special loot, since the changes virtually excised it from the codebase.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
BrolyButterfingers

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #700382

kinnebian wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:18 pm

ironically, my point
Nobody is going to go out of their way to learn an entire skill in order to make a submission to make a change that's going to get rejected and closed (and, more likely than not, get abused and ridiculed at the same time) and you have to be mentally fucking ill to suggest they do that. The attitude of a lot of the more vocal "contributors" towards the playerbase is so ass I would literally rather eat a bag of dogshit than interact with them, let alone learn an entire thing just to be forced to interact with them and probably be told to fuck off anyway

No fuckin' thanks, I'll just continue to acknowledge that many of them are assholes not worth my time and move on.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700384

I'm going to endorse chesify as second to bottom pick for the elections on my YouTube channel because they endorsed the mosin nagant resprite in the PR so that's me doing my little part. I'll do the same for any other people running for headmin who signed off on it but that's the only one I noticed.