End of term reflections, player headmin edition.

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

End of term reflections, player headmin edition.

Post by kieth4 » #700959

Hello there, to those reading I've decided to post some of my reflections of the term as a player headmin. These are my public thoughts about the term, mistakes ect. Just things that are from my recent memory if anyone is interested in that. These are not like, super engulfing they're just whats currently on the top of my head. Might be useful for the new headmins or not.

1) seizing power.

I think at the start I was somewhat hesitant, I didn't want to do anything without any sort of backing. This was a double edged sword, I waited for timber or mdoubt before doing anything which kinda slowed me down a lot. I think it's important to, right from the start, show confidence. It's not like it marred anything super hard but I guess I guess it's just advice. I've mever been too nervous a person but I can imagine someone w/o a lot of confidence could struggle some. So don't! If you're in power you're able to make a lot of calls solo. Don't feel nervous to, if you flarp up or make a mistake say sorry and move on but don't stop moving. When the train stops it's hard to get going again.

2) arguments and admins: a rock and a hard place

I found myself getting stuck in a lot of stupid arguments over absolutely inconsequential bullshit that people were really hung up on. I struggled to leave them because it felt like I was losing an argument if I just left. BUT that's a lesson to learn from. Leave arguments they don't matter. You have the final say as dictoroal as it sounds. Because 1 it 2 /100 jannies take issue with a decision you don't need to argue with them or listen to the fuss they throw up. Ignore it and move on, don't get sucked up into this cringe ass cycle. You will burn out on the admins and not the players.

3) Interaction with the community

This is important imo, I've been around in the discord I've been around in the vcs and at least it felt a lot of people appreciated that I was real. It's nice to have headmins poke out and speak to people so they know how you feel. Timber poked out and would be super interactive in appeals too which is fantastic basically allowing us to be people you see as opposed to INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS Tower popping out once in a million years. So yeah, next headmins do this.

4)standing your ground.

It's important to remember that you were elected for your ideas/community presence/ whatever reason. Lots of people boil it down to a popularity contest and that's true somewhat, it still hinges on your epic personality or ideas. Don't change stick to your guns fr.

5)Regrets

No community meeting, no big events e.g toolbox. I'm really sad about the community meeting but we couldn't find a time to all get together because of how different our schedules were. Also my playtime has dipped because saggy ball gate 3 has dropped. I would run again but with all the fantastic games (BG3, AC6, STARFIELD AND MORE) about to drop I do not thing I will play ss13 much in the next 3 months and don't want to be out of touch
Didn't manage to get mentors because timber didn't want them. Didn't manage to do a bunch of campbell events.

6) things that I am happy with

Transparency, communication. Interactions in general. I think this term went p well do that's nice to see.

7) cope and seethe.

As a headmin you cannot cope and seethe. If you think someone is prone to cope and seethe do not vote for them as a headmin. There is so much actual community owning drama that comes in and you need to keep a level head and investigate it. You cannot jump to conclusions, you cannot like let your emotions take over you've got to investigate every single thing. It's very draining. But you cannot take half measures and or/ panic and jump to conclusions.

8) have fun

Don't let this game take over your life or you will burn out. Have fun. Play the game. W/e. You should expect more epic old code or different code events hopefully (thanks riggle for coding the shit broski, it's very good happy to help you in hosting.)(special thanks to oranges for getting the server to work Impossible without) So ya, thanks.

Thanks for reading

Open to comments, feedback or responses or w/e. I'm down to talk about everything
General Thrax
Byond Username: GeneralThrax

Re: End of term reflections, player headmin edition.

Post by General Thrax » #700961

did you mald?
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #700963

kieth4 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:58 am 7) cope and seethe.
As a headmin you cannot cope and seethe. If you think someone is prone to cope and seethe do not vote for them as a headmin. There is so much actual community owning drama that comes in and you need to keep a level head and investigate it. You cannot jump to conclusions, you cannot like let your emotions take over you've got to investigate every single thing. It's very draining. But you cannot take half measures and or/ panic and jump to conclusions.
god fears the day when the highly temperamental admins become the new headmin elects
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #700964

General Thrax wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:12 am did you mald?
Not particularly
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #700965

this is so wholesome 100

Was I one of the 2/100 jannies?

kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #700967

Sightld2 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:24 am this is so wholesome 100

No you were pretty nice and chill throughout
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #700985

voted for you for 2 years, term lived up to expectations, o7
respect (let him do his thing)
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #700990

Kieth and friends took tg station to new heights, we are eating
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #700994

Sightld2 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:24 am this is so wholesome 100

it was ME I was BOTH of the two jannies
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #700996

move aside spookuni
i am actually all of the jannies, both the 2 and the 100
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #700997

It was unironically me.

AND I'LL DO IT AGAIN
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #701017

LOOK AT ALL THE TYPING KIETH DID

POINT AND LAUGH AT HIM
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #701018

Kendrickorium wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:50 pm LOOK AT ALL THE TYPING KIETH DID

POINT AND LAUGH AT HIM
This might be the most typing Kieth has done all term. Look what this has done to him, he's evolving into our worst nightmare: the essay poster.
Hugs
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #701019

:ugeek:
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #701082

I'd like to imagine he didn't actually type it but instead hopped in a VC with Timber who transcribed everything he said.

Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #701097

fr.
► Show Spoiler