terry trialmin meets normal Manuel Rp

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

terry trialmin meets normal Manuel Rp

Post by Blacklist897 » #702015

Bottom post of the previous page:

Acting cap is informed that the QM refused to attempt to sort let alone deliver mail.
When a baton is stolen and the acting called a retard the QM suffers from Chat shit get shot
Acting gets hit with a command ban that the admin claims is a perma one

the appeal
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
AsbestosSniffer
Byond Username: The Asbestos Sniffer

Re: terry trialmin meets normal Manuel Rp

Post by AsbestosSniffer » #702129

What I'm saying is that we've got to legalise glue man, it's got other uses that aren't just mind-expanding!
Observer main. Otherwise I play Lucy Trelawney on Manuel.
LEDDDriver
Byond Username: LEDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #702130

We are one step closer to becoming Goon. If people, especially admins, put side to side retard and the nword then i can't wait for them to make their (shit) opinions (un)official rulings. Who knows what's next? I don't and i am excited! :shock:

"I will fword kill you, you stupid cword! Give me my id back you rword!"
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #702132

LEDDDriver wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:29 pm We are one step closer to becoming Goon. If people, especially admins, put side to side retard and the nword then i can't wait for them to make their (shit) opinions (un)official rulings. Who knows what's next? I don't and i am excited! :shock:

I refuse to actively participate in a server named after a community created by a serial wife beater.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #702134

ekaterina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:09 pm
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:30 pm Also what a thinly veiled power trip holy fuck. They go into cargo yell at the qm, the qm tells them to fuck off so they ATTACK THE QM?
The irony is palpable. You have no ground to stand on calling out blatant power trips.
You shot a sec officer with lethals as a head of staff over the word "ligger", before the new ruling.
Mutiny is a much better reason to use lethals than that bullshit.
But this wasn't a mutiny. They didn't try to overthrow the captain. They just tossed them out of cargo for being an ass. That's insubordination, not mutiny.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702135

QM didnt commit any capital crimes aside from hurting another player`s feelings to such an extent that they grabbed a fucking gun like an edgy teenager.

Not doing a low impact job and resisting arrest isnt mutiny, if the ce was not taking care of the sm and then resisting arrest/kicking out people who tried to fix the sm then sure kill them and dust their body/behead/rr them

But QM just not sending mail to different departments isnt even an issue, people can go to cargo to pick up their mail if they want and just because its fucking meta / cargo has extra tools to send mail to other departments doesn`t mean that all of a sudden responsibility is even more severe.

On the topic of different maps , i dont think policy from admins or balance from c*ders has ever taken specific maps into account (like making certain things weaker/stronger on specific maps)
Last edited by MooCow12 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #702136

The argument here is if the word "retard" is considered a slur or not.

Professional mental health organizations, especially those working closely with special needs individuals, have deemed it a slur.

The second question we have to ask is where TG draws the line, we already agree that the n-word shouldn't be said. Why is the word "retard" different if its already classified as a slur?
AsbestosSniffer
Byond Username: The Asbestos Sniffer

Post by AsbestosSniffer » #702137

If I might contribute (which is a rarity, believe me), I believe there is an ongoing feud between both of the players in this situation here. This is not the first time that one of the players in question has called the other player some form of "slow."

Game Logs of a Previous Round
OOC Dr . Oof/(Krisster Fless) "go fuck yourself laura, you are the most annoying mentally defected fuck in this server"
Last edited by AsbestosSniffer on Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Observer main. Otherwise I play Lucy Trelawney on Manuel.
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702138

AsbestosSniffer wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:50 pm If I might contribute (which is a rarity, believe me), I believe there is an ongoing feud between both of the players in this situation here. This is not the first time the player in question has called the other player some form of "slow."
An ongoing grudge between the players does make this more interesting yes.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #702139

kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:30 pm Also what a thinly veiled power trip holy fuck. They go into cargo yell at the qm, the qm tells them to fuck off so they ATTACK THE QM?
The irony is palpable. You have no ground to stand on calling out blatant power trips.
You shot a sec officer with lethals as a head of staff over the word "ligger", before the new ruling.
I was the captain. There was a lizard in prison. I told you to stop calling it a ligger or I would shoot you, you did not stop so I escalated on you. You were never murdered just shot at a few times. Not rlly the same is it..

Calling this a mutiny is a huge LOL because they attacked the QM so the qm fought back.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #702140

AsbestosSniffer wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:50 pm If I might contribute (which is a rarity, believe me), I believe there is an ongoing feud between both of the players in this situation here. This is not the first time that one of the players in question has called the other player some form of "slow."

Game Logs of a Previous Round
OOC Dr . Oof/(Krisster Fless) "go fuck yourself laura, you are the most annoying mentally defected fuck in this server"
the clot thickens...
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #702141

kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:55 pm
I was the captain. There was a lizard in prison. I told you to stop calling it a ligger or I would shoot you, you did not stop so I escalated on you. You were never murdered just shot at a few times. Not rlly the same is it..

Calling this a mutiny is a huge LOL because they attacked the QM so the qm fought back.
i was right once again
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #702144

Drag wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:46 pm The argument here is if the word "retard" is considered a slur or not.

Professional mental health organizations, especially those working closely with special needs individuals, have deemed it a slur.

The second question we have to ask is where TG draws the line, we already agree that the n-word shouldn't be said. Why is the word "retard" different if its already classified as a slur?
Because retard and nigger are wildly different kinds of slurs with distinct differences in application. The fact you say "the n-word" sorta highlights HOW different.

Retard generally is just used to insult someone for a lapse in judgement in a video game setting. It's not to disparage the differently abled in most contexts. When it is, we should punish it.

If a player is using retard as synonymous with dumbass, it's not intended as a slur, unless of course they knew that person had a significant cognitive impairment, in which case dumbass, idiot and stupid could also be slurs.

Also, I think its a pretty fair assumption that the majority of people that play this game are likely neurodivergent or differently abled in some way, I don't really care what the special olympics thinks about the names we call eachother in a 2d video game.
Last edited by Lacran on Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #702145

LEDDDriver wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:29 pm We are one step closer to becoming Goon. If people, especially admins, put side to side retard and the nword then i can't wait for them to make their (shit) opinions (un)official rulings. Who knows what's next? I don't and i am excited! :shock:

This is the point where I have to break character and post about this.

I had talked about this in asay and adminbus while dealing with the ban appeal. Admins, both during and after, had different opinions on the use of the word "retard" as a slur.

Absolutely NONE of them said that in any way that what Laura did was justified.

I am very unhappy with the fact that people right now in this thread are saying they're going to do what Laura did if they were in the same situation. People like this guy:
BrolyButterfingers wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:25 am For what it's worth if I was captain (even acting) and a QM told me off for telling them to do their job I'd ABSOLUTELY give them a nonlethal smack and tell them to get their shit together. If they did what they did to me here I'd have probably dome the same shit as well.

Part of your job when roleplaying command is following said chain of command. He probably could've had security do it, but I'd be 50/50 on just doing it myself in a similar fashion.
I am also very confused by people suddenly saying that saying "retard" automatically makes you valid. Of the "admins" that have "allowed it", only ONE was named, and I had them explain what happened in the ban appeal itself.

As far as I know there is NO ruling on saying "retard" making you instavalid on ANY count. This is the ruling and it does not say "retard = instavalid to kill".

Also I'm going to reveal something, when I talked to the QM, I told them "please try not to use retard as some people consider it a slur to kill over". Which DID in fact happen. I never took offense over the use of the word itself.

There are also some issues that I'm really mad about that I don't want to reveal here for the record. Do not try to comment if you do not know the full story. Do not base your right to valid on hearsay and if an admin told you it was valid, tell us who the admin was and give evidence so that I can contact them.
Last edited by Archie700 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #702147

Drag wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:46 pm Professional mental health organizations, especially those working closely with special needs individuals, have deemed it a slur.
Who cares about what they say? Our illustrious headmins deemed that it isn't.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:55 pm I was the captain. There was a lizard in prison. I told you to stop calling it a ligger or I would shoot you, you did not stop so I escalated on you. You were never murdered just shot at a few times. Not rlly the same is it..
I wasn't murdered because I am a robust Terry player. The principle is the same, the robustness of the victim is what differs.
Timonk wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:58 pm i was right once again
You were objectively wrong, because you said "the sec officer", i.e. the character, had my OOC account name, which she doesn't.
You were right in the sense that I was the player on the other end, yes.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #702148

ekaterina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:41 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:46 pm Professional mental health organizations, especially those working closely with special needs individuals, have deemed it a slur.
Who cares about what they say? Our illustrious headmins deemed that it isn't.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:55 pm I was the captain. There was a lizard in prison. I told you to stop calling it a ligger or I would shoot you, you did not stop so I escalated on you. You were never murdered just shot at a few times. Not rlly the same is it..
I wasn't murdered because I am a robust Terry player. The principle is the same, the robustness of the victim is what differs.
You were objectively wrong, because you said "the sec officer", i.e. the character, had my OOC account name, which she doesn't.
You robust :lol: :lol: :lol:
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #702149

kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:47 pm You robust :lol: :lol: :lol:
You, as HOS, fought with your own security officers to assert dominance (claiming it as the "Terry way" or the like) and ended up being absolutely owned right in front of my eyes, you're not the authority on robustness.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #702151

Drag wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:46 pm The argument here is if the word "retard" is considered a slur or not.

Tgstation isn't required to follow the standards of any health organizations. The headmins set the policy.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #702158

It does seem weird to call it a powertrip when the captain slaps the QM for refusing to do something minor, but that it's not power tripping for the HOS to laser an officer for refusing to do something minor.

Declaring a mutiny and killing the QM for being thrown out on your ass is absolutely powertripping however.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #702160

telling someone working under you to stop saying something or else (and then doing the or else when its said again) is different from killing someone out of the blue for saying something after a legit-ish scuffle.

Reasonably asserting your authority is just being good command, killing one of your most important underlings (one that commands other underlings) over words is not good command
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #702161

ekaterina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:41 pm
what did she mean by this
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

LEDDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #702162

Archie700 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:24 pm

I had talked about this in asay and adminbus while dealing with the ban appeal. Admins, both during and after, had different opinions on the use of the word "retard" as a slur.

I am very unhappy with the fact that people right now in this thread are saying they're going to do what Laura did if they were in the same situation. I am also very confused by people suddenly saying that saying "retard" automatically makes you valid. Of the "admins" that have "allowed it", only ONE was named, and I had them explain what happened in the ban appeal itself.

As far as I know there is NO ruling on saying "retard" making you instavalid on ANY count.
Why are you surprised that people twist opinions to fit their narrative? When you have admins telling you that "retard" is on par with the nword and that it should be treated under the rule all the same then, surely, you can see where the confusion begins. "An admin said so, so why should i think of it more?". Strangely, this goes both ways, "This site tells me their (non-legal) opinion therefore it's a definition that i will hold true."

I'd find more value in an argument if one claimed that there should be an extensive blanket ban on words that are offensive (in a similar spirit i can pull up a website and argue that all of the words listed should be banned), at least then you can't argue anymore with takes on the level of"This site says so therefore we should..." or "Why is this banned but this isn't? Some people i know might get offended by this."

At the end of the day you can be bigoted and express hate speech without ever mentioning a single slur. But it's much easier to reduce the cases of bigotry by banning specific words that historically have led to violence and death against groups. Rule 11 specifically mentions "... to intentionally demean others." Unless you know the other person is cognitively impaired and specifically target him for that, it then stops being about the word and falls under harassment. If one would get offended by being called a retard for fucking up the engine, he would, without a doubt, get offended by anything that insults his intelligence; moron, idiot, zero braincell'd individual etc.

It's very clear that the admin team feels torn about rule 11. Maybe you guys need to retrain or perhaps does MSO have to revisit the rule to make it more clear for the people that are not very bright?

If i say "What engine are we building today faggots?", would i get immediately bwoinked and noted? Depends on the admin i guess?
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #702165

The way I see it is... Retard as a term is more usually used in America as a slur against idiocy (i.e slightly less offensive). Whereas at least here in the UK it's got a nastier sentiment to it and has connotations around insulting physical/mentally disabled people.
I personally wouldn't be too happy having that word used against me, but because Manuel is an American server, I would just shrug it off as Americans being Americans rather than a nasty attack.

Much in the same way in America calling someone a 'cunt' is considered one of the more harsher insults and has connotations of sexism too, whereas in commonwealth countries like Australia, England etc, it's more of a banter word. Usually used as term of endearment amongst friends.

The joys of language eh?
Retard generally is just used to insult someone for a lapse in judgement in a video game setting. It's not to disparage the differently abled in most contexts. When it is, we should punish it.
I disagree. It really is a localised thing that has varying meanings across the world. See above.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #702167

LEDDDriver wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:20 pm

I am very unhappy with the fact that people right now in this thread are saying they're going to do what Laura did if they were in the same situation. I am also very confused by people suddenly saying that saying "retard" automatically makes you valid. Of the "admins" that have "allowed it", only ONE was named, and I had them explain what happened in the ban appeal itself.

As far as I know there is NO ruling on saying "retard" making you instavalid on ANY count.
If i say "What engine are we building today faggots?", would i get immediately bwoinked and noted? Depends on the admin i guess?
I would say no because MSO explicitly used an example like this("What you faggots doing today") as one that would be ok. However due to actions of this headmin term basically just ignoring him to do their own meme instead who knows.
Image Image
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #702169

Why are you surprised that people twist opinions to fit their narrative? When you have admins telling you that "retard" is on par with the nword and that it should be treated under the rule all the same then, surely, you can see where the confusion begins. "An admin said so, so why should i think of it more?". Strangely, this goes both ways, "This site tells me their (non-legal) opinion therefore it's a definition that i will hold true."

I'd find more value in an argument if one claimed that there should be an extensive blanket ban on words that are offensive (in a similar spirit i can pull up a website and argue that all of the words listed should be banned), at least then you can't argue anymore with takes on the level of"This site says so therefore we should..." or "Why is this banned but this isn't? Some people i know might get offended by this."

At the end of the day you can be bigoted and express hate speech without ever mentioning a single slur. But it's much easier to reduce the cases of bigotry by banning specific words that historically have led to violence and death against groups. Rule 11 specifically mentions "... to intentionally demean others." Unless you know the other person is cognitively impaired and specifically target him for that, it then stops being about the word and falls under harassment. If one would get offended by being called a retard for fucking up the engine, he would, without a doubt, get offended by anything that insults his intelligence; moron, idiot, zero braincell'd individual etc.

It's very clear that the admin team feels torn about rule 11. Maybe you guys need to retrain or perhaps does MSO have to revisit the rule to make it more clear for the people that are not very bright?

This is exactly why when someone said something to that effect, I said this:
Archie700 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:36 am
Moltov wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:37 am Putting my five cents in here and not replying more to the thread. I was also told in the past that calling someone "retarded" in a targeted way was an instavalid. Exception being if you're calling a situation or non player "retarded".
1. Who told you that and where.
2. What do you mean by "targeted way"
I want to make it clear that no admin should say ""retard" is on par with the n-word and that it should be treated under the rule all the same" in such a way that it can be taken as allowance to violate a ruling set by headmins. The ruling has not changed since mothblocks has announced it.

If you say the f-word, I can assure you that some admin is going to bwoink you at least, because it's soft-filtered. Personally? I really suggest not using it because it's much more defined by its connections to homosexuality than "retard" to intellectually disabled people.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #702170

ekaterina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:50 pm
You, as HOS, fought with your own security officers to assert dominance (claiming it as the "Terry way" or the like) and ended up being absolutely owned right in front of my eyes, you're not the authority on robustness.
The flarp....seccies fight every shift, someone different wins every shift. You're equating playfighting to robustness??? :skull: anyone of those mfs could slap you up with their eyes closed. I asked around and you have a reputation for being unrobust and apparently not very fun to play with (with these people at least) soo....
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #702171

Forget silicon policy I want the next headmins to hammer out retard policy.
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #702172

Racial insults = Not fine.
Sexual orientation insults = Not fine.
Insulting people with mental disabilities = fine.
LEDDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #702173

Archie700 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:47 pm

This is exactly why when someone said something to that effect, I said this:
Archie700 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:36 am
Moltov wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:37 am Putting my five cents in here and not replying more to the thread. I was also told in the past that calling someone "retarded" in a targeted way was an instavalid. Exception being if you're calling a situation or non player "retarded".
1. Who told you that and where.
2. What do you mean by "targeted way"
If you say the f-word, I can assure you that some admin is going to bwoink you at least, because it's soft-filtered. Personally? I really suggest not using it because it's much more defined by its connections to homosexuality than "retard" to intellectually disabled people.
And how would the ahelp on part of the admin side look like? Because by definition of rule 11 you can say slurs that are not used in a bigoted context;
This means rather than warning or banning for quoting a usage such as "Griff McNazi got banned for calling somebody a faggot" or even things like "nigga pls" and "what are you faggots playing" which are generally not statements made to be bigoted, we'll focus more on statements like "you talk like a [insert stereotype]" or "x is a [insert slur]".

"What engine are we building today faggots?" is a statement made to be bigoted because...?

"Well, ok, if you say it 1 time then you are not going to get in trouble." Is probably a rational answer to this? Then is word-count, ie how many times you said stuff like that in a round, a good metric for bigotry?

I am getting more convinced that MSO needs to revisit rule 11 now :lol:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #702174

kayozz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:53 pm Racial insults = Not fine.
Everyone who plays ss13 arguably has a mental disability so it's fine.
LEDDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #702175

Generalize it;

"Insults=not fine. We are here to have a good time and enjoy ourselves and not getting called bad words by random people."
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #702176

lol this thread is stupid god i miss sinful
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #702177

LEDDDriver wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:55 pm And how would the ahelp on part of the admin side look like? Because by definition of rule 11 you can say slurs that are not used in a bigoted context;
This means rather than warning or banning for quoting a usage such as "Griff McNazi got banned for calling somebody a faggot" or even things like "nigga pls" and "what are you faggots playing" which are generally not statements made to be bigoted, we'll focus more on statements like "you talk like a [insert stereotype]" or "x is a [insert slur]".
"What engine are we building today faggots?" is a statement made to be bigoted because...?

"Well, ok, if you say it 1 time then you are not going to get in trouble." Is probably a rational answer to this? Then is word-count, ie how many times you said stuff like that in a round, a good metric for bigotry?

The reason why I personally feel the f-word is less safe is because the use of it in your example was due to the 4chan influence that newer players and admins do not know about. And many of them have only heard of it being used in a bigoted context, whether from their own experience or others.

It is much easier to explain why the r-word is acceptable, because everyone relates to it being used to call a person an idiot for doing a stupid thing.

You are very correct in that that is how it should be applied, we usually use the ahelp to tell them to be careful with usage unless it's spammed or used derogatory.

And you do not want MSO to revisit rule 11. Part of the reason Rule 11 is so messy is because headmins had to fight with MSO on phrasing of Rule 11 to begin with.
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #702178

youre insulting someone by calling them stupid (this is a case across your idiots, morons, etc too) which is like, the r word relates to being mentally disabled. its a harsh descriptor but thats kinda what the word means, the only way it differs from others is that it was used as a medical term

if i call someone stupid the n word im associating negative traits like stupidity with being black which is bigoted
they are not on the same level
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #702179

kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:48 pm The flarp....seccies fight every shift, someone different wins every shift. You're equating playfighting to robustness??? :skull: anyone of those mfs could slap you up with their eyes closed. I asked around and you have a reputation for being unrobust and apparently not very fun to play with (with these people at least) soo....
lmao that is a blatant fabrication and I have an affidavit from sinfulbliss, the man himself, attesting to the contrary.
Also I am clearly more robust than you. I have never been banned for suboptimal plays like you have, which obviously means all my plays are optimal 8-)
Last edited by ekaterina on Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #702180

It is much easier to explain why the r-word is acceptable, because everyone relates to it being used to call a person an idiot for doing a stupid thing.
You'd be sacked in the UK if you used that word in a workplace, as I explained above it has different connotations to how Americans use it. Over here it's a nasty insult that belittles people with mental difficulties.
So no it's not acceptable everywhere.
if i call someone stupid the n word im associating negative traits like stupidity with being black which is bigoted
Let's agree to disagree here. I'd argue they're equally bigoted terms.
A lot of you are clearly generalising that the world only exists on America's terms, because it's fine in America you seem to think it's fine elsewhere.

All I'm saying is... Just because you've been socially conditioned to think it's fine, it doesn't mean it's fine everywhere. The R word is a bigoted term against mentally disabled people.
Anyway, I've made my point. Just something to think about.
Last edited by kayozz on Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #702181

im in europe (talk about generalizing)
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #702182

Fikou wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:30 pm im in europe (talk about generalizing)
Manuel is an American server. Or do you think I was solely addressing you?
LEDDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #702183

Archie700 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:20 pm
LEDDDriver wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:55 pm And how would the ahelp on part of the admin side look like? Because by definition of rule 11 you can say slurs that are not used in a bigoted context;

The reason why I personally feel the f-word is less safe is because the use of it in your example was due to the 4chan influence that newer players and admins do not know about. And many of them have only heard of it being used in a bigoted context, whether from their own experience or others.

You are very correct in that that is how it should be applied, we usually use the ahelp to tell them to be careful with usage unless it's spammed or used derogatory.

And you do not want MSO to revisit rule 11. Part of the reason Rule 11 is so messy is because headmins had to fight with MSO on phrasing of Rule 11 to begin with.
If an admin that's there to enforce rules cannot discern bigoted expressions from non-bigoted ones then he/she/it has no place in that position to begin with. I think it's clear by now that unless we can generally agree upon on what words are considered bigotry regardless of context -to blanket them under rule 11/headming rulings- then this topic will always generate controversy. It still seems apparent to me that a lot of admins think that slurs=bigotry but rule 11 by definition makes a clear distinction on this matter. This is even more apparent when the playerbase consists of people from all around the world; some have already said that cunt is used regularly in AUS, while others find it -in US, i assume- incredibly offensive. My opinion on this hardly matters, but i am interested in knowing in what lengths can someone argue over a word to ban you. For an admin to make a leap as big as "Retard=nword, treat it the same." is incredibly disturbing because a subjective opinion is taken as a fact to enforce a rule in the wrong spirit.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #702188

we are all retards so it is not a slur
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #702194

kayozz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:27 pm You'd be sacked in the UK if you used that word in a workplace, as I explained above it has different connotations to how Americans use it.
lmao this isn't a workplace this is the gas sim shitposting subforum
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
zergking
Byond Username: Zergking

Post by zergking » #702199

Honestly this just makes him seem more based
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #702202

this is all solved by paying the admins to gibsmite people you don't like
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #702204

kayozz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:27 pm
You'd be sacked in the UK if you used that word in a workplace, as I explained above it has different connotations to how Americans use it. Over here it's a nasty insult that belittles people with mental difficulties.
So no it's not acceptable everywhere.
Let's agree to disagree here. I'd argue they're equally bigoted terms.
A lot of you are clearly generalising that the world only exists on America's terms, because it's fine in America you seem to think it's fine elsewhere.

All I'm saying is... Just because you've been socially conditioned to think it's fine, it doesn't mean it's fine everywhere. The R word is a bigoted term against mentally disabled people.
Anyway, I've made my point. Just something to think about.
We'll the UK is a dystopia when it comes to it comes to words that hurt someone's feeling.

Over here in Belgium, we have worse words we use during the workday and I work in an office.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #702208

Ignoring the point of "They are absolutely not the same because you wrote out 'retard' and shortened the other to 'n-word'" because someone else already made it;

The point is that retard has seen such colloquial use that it's completely divorced from where it started. What're the actual differences between "retard" and "moron" "idiot" "stupid" "dumbass"? All of them are still calling someone slow, but one of them we just decide is off-limits?

Let's compare that to the n-word. It's generally considered the worst of its bunch, but other words like coon or negro are still generally considered off-limits to call someone, doubly so if as an insult.

It's why there's no smart way to rule on it flatly. Let people say retard, as long as they aren't using it to target someone who actually has a mental disability, for said disability. If someone's not comfy with being called that, they can say it, and then if the person continues it falls under Rule 1.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #702213

Donglesplonge wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:24 pm this is all solved by paying the admins to gibsmite people you don't like
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702217

retard being a slur or not isnt even relevant.

Anything can be turned into or considered to be a slur and used in a hurtful way, the word just has to be catchy enough to be mainstream (usually two syllables)

what matters is if current rules/policy already cares about that particular word being used.
Spoiler:
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #702229

LEDDDriver wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:55 pm If an admin that's there to enforce rules cannot discern bigoted expressions from non-bigoted ones then he/she/it has no place in that position to begin with. I think it's clear by now that unless we can generally agree upon on what words are considered bigotry regardless of context -to blanket them under rule 11/headming rulings- then this topic will always generate controversy. It still seems apparent to me that a lot of admins think that slurs=bigotry but rule 11 by definition makes a clear distinction on this matter. This is even more apparent when the playerbase consists of people from all around the world; some have already said that cunt is used regularly in AUS, while others find it -in US, i assume- incredibly offensive. My opinion on this hardly matters, but i am interested in knowing in what lengths can someone argue over a word to ban you. For an admin to make a leap as big as "Retard=nword, treat it the same." is incredibly disturbing because a subjective opinion is taken as a fact to enforce a rule in the wrong spirit.
Blanketing is very difficult, nay, almost impossible, especially when you have MSO around to argue. Even the n-word isn't technically banned despite the fact it's a ethnic slur mostly used against black people. The headmins had to make compromises in order to get to the rule 11 we have now. It's also due to admins having different cultures that this rule is like that. This is exactly why I brought it up in asay and admin-bus - to get different takes before acting. All of them said that the CMO was wrong to shoot down the QM, despite their differences in opinion.

If you feel that an expression is not bigoted, that's where the appeals come in. I don't know what lengths can people argue that "retard" is the same as the n-word, or how it leads to a ban, or how it makes someone instavalid, because I have never heard it from admins, and I have no idea where people are taking it from, which is why I'm asking them who told them.

To make this clear: The reason why we don't have blanket bans and why rule 11 is the way it is was because MSO was outright against them and the headmins had to reach a compromise on the matter.
Last edited by Archie700 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #702230

ekaterina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:50 pm
We all know that Manny sec mains like jeff gaming are the most robust sec players
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #702232

i'm so tired of the slur discourse bros. every week we argue in circles around this shit.

no admin who discussed this ruling at the time (and there were a lot) agreed that the acting captain was in the right to grab a makarov and wordlessly riddle the QM with bullets because they called them a retard in response to being assaulted. rule 11 asks that we consider the nuance and context of a situation instead of applying blanket bans the moment we see a bad word being used. we do that anyway. in fact, i can't think of any situation where i'm not investigating the context and nuance of a situation to try and figure it out: it's part of the due diligence to collect all of that information before you make a ruling on anything.

this is as cut and dry as it gets with rules. on mrp command are held to a higher standard and the captain of all people shouldn't be gunning people down for minor insubordination after the captain instigated it by physically assaulting one of their heads of staff. the station was not in a life-or-death martial law scenario. they were arguing over *the mail.*

and here's an extra little treat for you:
[2023-08-15 19:08:36.440] GAME-SAY: Thranos/(Laura Winters) "THIS RETARD" (Central Primary Hallway (113,143,4))
[2023-08-16 08:22:13.148] GAME-SAY: Thranos/(Lingden Wilkerson) (DEAD) "I DID RETARD" (First Floor Fore Hallway (74,126,2))
wonder how they would feel if they were gunned down over this? would they ahelp it and want the other person banned? the second instance was in dchat, so it's not like they were roleplaying their character calling someone that. they were calling a player a retard directly.

this is the most standard dayban for improperly killing someone i've ever seen. cool off for a day and then come back less assmad, for your own sake. it's not good for you.
Last edited by dendydoom on Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #702233

I’m super hesitant about adding more words to the forbidden word list because I’ve seen it slippery slope itself into absurdity multiple times in multiple communities over the decade I’ve been active online.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #702255

Timberpoes wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:55 pm And people say Manuel isn't like our other servers.

It's an MRP Terry.
I've been telling people this for ages. Just OBSERVE how quickly they'll ignore their own stay in their lane rules to desperately swarm over a valid and it shows enough. :shock: