From the creator of the lathe tax- Rock and no ores torture (Codenut)

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

From the creator of the lathe tax- Rock and no ores torture (Codenut)

Post by The Wrench » #702294

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Re: From the creator of the lathe tax- Rock and no ores torture (Codenut)

Post by Fikou » #702297

didnt ask
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #702299

I am reticent about losing the ability to just hit rocks while dodging monsters but we'll see if there's an answer about that
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #702301

I do, tho i think its passing up the opportunity to fix mining's biggest problem which is that the act of mining is decentralized on a massive z level and so theres no hope in hell of catching a miner doing their job. Though maybe, in a follow up pr the vein spawning area would be shrunk to surround the mining station somewhat. That way if i had to steal some crap from a miner i could do so just by doing a quick loop around the station and beating them until horizontal instead of hoping they have a gps with their name instead of endlessly chasing after COMO1 after COMO1.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
LEDDDriver
Byond Username: LEDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #702302

Oh yes i can't wait for crystallizer and gold/uranium solidification botany to become meta because this is obviously a brilliant idea;
add: Added ore vents. Scanning them with mining scanners shows what minerals they contain. Scan again to fight off a horde of beasts so the ore vent will produce mineral boulders!
Surely it will make things better. :geek:
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #702308

It would be really cool if engineers would start building sentries or whatever as a coordination to assist miners. Engineer gaming!

Would be a little sad for rock smashing to go. I wanted to add rocket launchers for clarke to dig ore.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #702325

Atmos can make diamonds?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #702327

As a side note I believe (if im remembering rigjt) that if the rest of Arcane's economy tweaks go through it includes removing the lathe tax
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #702331

I’m very skeptical of the idea that scarcity is a good thing or something we want to happen on shifts. Not being able to do your job because someone else didn’t do their job is shitty. At the very least make it so we can order all the materials in cargo so engineers don’t have to suffer because we don’t have the materials.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #702332

every1 is so fukken entitled to evarything now a days, back in my day there was no ore silo. I had to beat noob cargo techs on route to sci for just a few sheets of plasma. Then I got my shit kicked in by security who actually put players in the timeout box instead of this catch & release bullshit wherein they just check you for valids
Timonk wrote:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
LEDDDriver
Byond Username: LEDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #702334

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:31 pm Atmos can make diamonds?
Yes shiftstart too with a simple burn can on meta/ice, since they have a prebuilt crystallizer.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #702338

Holy shit this is going to make robo even more ass to play when there's no miners.
At this point I think I'll just go steal the silver from medbay surgery beds every time I play lowpop robo. And the crystals from the teleporter, and the gold from the vault.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #702340

I'm so conflicted.
I like the idea of DRG mining gameplay.
I also like the comfy rock smashing gameplay that /tg/ has been steadily moving away from.
I also think the boulder refining looks clunky and slow as hell, especially when multiple miners are trying to use it.
I also dislike the idea of needing to upgrade mining equipment; typically that means it just won't get done.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #702342

Already see some issues that I’m going to list because I’m too lazy to write paragraphs.

- miners are going to be even harder to recover then they are already. I swear some miners run as deep into lava land and die just to watch a conga line of mediborgs and paramedics run through and obstacle course of hostile mobs to get their bodies.

- non-miners mining is going to suck more

- cargo is probably going to get bitched at even more for not spending 70% of their budget mass shipping in iron, glass, and plastic for roboticists to waste on EORG prep.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #702375

Re: Tremendous amount of feedback.
It's clear there's a large number of things that have gone un-addressed in this rework this far (albeit there are a few that are and people just didn't read the PR that carefully).

Is it because I am a rat bastard man? Is it because I am evil and fucked up and want to ruin mining because miners were sitting back and having TOO EASY of a time in my 2d space sandbox? Is this my revenge for that time that we closed making coal and ore and I've been seething ever since at the chance to get vengeance?

Nah it's that mining is fucking huge and there's a lot of good feedback hitting things I just didn't think about yet. I know some people aren't sold on this yet, and all I ask is people have an open mind. Hell, there's still a good chance it gets closed because headcoders want to take the department into a different direction. Who knows! We'll find out.

Thanks for the outpouring of feedback gang, positive and negative. I'll see about getting some lists together and figuring out what's feasible or not with the original design direction or if I fucked up and the mineral economy is fucked forever
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
Chocodemon
Byond Username: Chocodemon

Post by Chocodemon » #702376

is it not possible to have both types of mining?
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702377

warbluke wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:26 pm Holy shit this is going to make robo even more ass to play when there's no miners.
At this point I think I'll just go steal the silver from medbay surgery beds every time I play lowpop robo. And the crystals from the teleporter, and the gold from the vault.
I already steal the bs crystals from the command`s teleporters.

As long as any job can do the prospecting and defense of the ore sites then its completely fine. (In other words, a plasmaman engie who doesnt have access to lethal weapons should still be able to get ore somehow)

Public mining is sometimes the only thing that prevents a station from being entirely unable to get matts and softlocked on everything without anyone being able to do anything reasonable about it at all (well xenobio can help but by the time that happens shuttle will be called and round will be over)
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #702379

The Wrench wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:50 pm I’m very skeptical of the idea that scarcity is a good thing or something we want to happen on shifts. Not being able to do your job because someone else didn’t do their job is shitty. At the very least make it so we can order all the materials in cargo so engineers don’t have to suffer because we don’t have the materials.
"Sorry Robotics, you can't do your job because we didn't find those vents/someone else decided to use all the silver and gold."

"Sorry (other job), you can't do your job because Robotics decided to build 6 gygaxes and print 30 posibrains."

Scarcity is fucking stupid because there's no way to actually stop someone from doing something. There's literally no way to ration things, you just have to hope that other people aren't going to be cunts (spoiler: they're going to be cunts)
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #702383

I completely agree. I’m glad that arcane is being such a class act about this. It’s refreshing to see a maintainer not throw a temper tantrum when their work isn’t praised.

dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #702387

What about the gulag
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #702388

Arcanemusic wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:25 pm
Re: Re: Tremendous amount of feedback.
love u arcane don't let the goobers goob all over you

i believe in industry(tm) expansion(tm)

don't forget to add departmental ore budgets
Spoiler:

Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #702390

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39 pm Scarcity is fucking stupid because there's no way to actually stop someone from doing something. There's literally no way to ration things, you just have to hope that other people aren't going to be cunts (spoiler: they're going to be cunts)
Thats why in the past we had a whole department dedicated to supplying other departments with materials. The ore silo is incompatible with material scarcity. A lack of material scarcity is incompatible with the past XX years of "just put it in the protolathe lol" design. Take ur pick.
Timonk wrote:
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #702394

Capsandi wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:14 am Thats why in the past we had a whole department dedicated to supplying other departments with materials. The ore silo is incompatible with material scarcity. A lack of material scarcity is incompatible with the past XX years of "just put it in the protolathe lol" design. Take ur pick.
I'd be up for removing the ore silo, or even just adding departmental silos. I miss the days of dragging a mats crate back to robo from the ORM.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #702395

We have a machine that teleports resources into every protolathe but we still need pipes to move gas. Hm.
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702422

Material scarcity should be the work of antags who are smart enough to realize that they have their own unique abstract resource pool to scale into the round with (tc/knowledge/etc) and can safely deny the crew their own scaling.

If an antag wants resource scarcity all they have to do is walk to a single silo connected device and siphon all of the materials from it then throw it into space, ive done it before its not hard.

The only reason this strategy isnt viable is because it just....gets shuttle called because people rightfully do not want to play when all of their job content is suddenly unobtainable and they have nothing to do.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
c4g
Byond Username: C4g

Post by c4g » #702425

dirk_mcblade wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:47 am We have a machine that teleports resources into every protolathe but we still need pipes to move gas. Hm.
we have a bluespace gas network for the gas vendors nobody uses, but maybe theres issues scaling it up or something
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #702433

Capsandi wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:14 am
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39 pm Scarcity is fucking stupid because there's no way to actually stop someone from doing something. There's literally no way to ration things, you just have to hope that other people aren't going to be cunts (spoiler: they're going to be cunts)
Thats why in the past we had a whole department dedicated to supplying other departments with materials. The ore silo is incompatible with material scarcity. A lack of material scarcity is incompatible with the past XX years of "just put it in the protolathe lol" design. Take ur pick.
The problem is it just kinda doesn't work too well with the modern way of the game, I imagine. Things are a lot faster these days that people just wouldn't tolerate that.

Which is why I'm really afraid of this mining change. I really don't think it's a good idea, and people'll just get fed up with never having any materials and stop playing because they can't do anything.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #702434

This is an excellent chance to buff out mining outcome so miners can have their minigames and single player experiences and the station can maybe not run out of everything every round.

Win-win.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #702456

Turbonerd wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:11 pm It would be really cool if engineers would start building sentries or whatever as a coordination to assist miners. Engineer gaming!

Would be a little sad for rock smashing to go. I wanted to add rocket launchers for clarke to dig ore.
Turrets can only hold energy weapons and fauna dont take much laser damage
zergking
Byond Username: Zergking

Post by zergking » #702458

But what about the Ashies?
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #702464

EmpressMaia wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:04 pm
Turbonerd wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:11 pm It would be really cool if engineers would start building sentries or whatever as a coordination to assist miners. Engineer gaming!

I'd have to double check but I'm 90% sure PKAs are considered energy weapons too.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #702478

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:16 am
The problem is it just kinda doesn't work too well with the modern way of the game, I imagine. Things are a lot faster these days that people just wouldn't tolerate that.

Which is why I'm really afraid of this mining change. I really don't think it's a good idea, and people'll just get fed up with never having any materials and stop playing because they can't do anything.
People won't stop playing, they didn't after cobby chem, they didn't after combat mode.

This will push more players away from material intensive jobs though, since few people want to engage with the sweaty powergaming to actually do their job.

Much like cobby chem all the dirty fucking casuals will be bullied out of their role until they build a spreadsheet with the optimal timing and setup required to do their job before the hour mark.

Exactly like chemistry atm.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #702479

it's almost like the people making the code and designing the mechanics are totally detached from the people running the rounds and dictating rules around gameplay and roleplay
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #702482

EmpressMaia wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:04 pm

I was thinkign about implementing a new sentry gun, like a pneumatic cannon sentry engineers could build to launch anything they want at fauna.
chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #702487

Sorry, I feel like I dunked on cobby chem alot in my last comment and I want to clarify this is a more general issue.

Alot of the games systems have been given more complexity, often with the goal of breaking some gameplay loop the coding team dislikes.

Complexity is good, but there needs to be an entry point for each job, so that players can learn mechanics without getting dunked on by mechanics only explained on the wiki/github.

For this pr for example I would suggest that the entry point be normal mining tools can be used on these veins, but instead of spawning a wave upon succesful extraction they spawn maybe 1-3 random mobs.

This builds the expectation in new players minds that mining = incoming fight. It would also act as 'training' for waves, helping you learn about different mobs attack patterns. Finally it would provide a 'safer' method for ashwalkers/golems/crew to mine that is still not risk free.

tldr; wyci
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #702493

why did you mention "combat mode" in a post about making the game more complex
chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #702495

Jacquerel wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:40 pm why did you mention "combat mode" in a post about making the game more complex
Combat mode was used as an example for Gungnir after they said this game change would stop people from playing SS13. My point was that previous large-scale changes to mechanics and departments have always been called out as the death of TG, but never are.

I then went into my rant about complexity.
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702496

Depth and complexity are welcoming but deleting the skill floor and not rewarding some level of success from doing the bare minimum is harsh

A friend of mine tried to play the game a couple months ago and told me they ended up quitting because they couldnt make anything as a newbie chemist

Its why i think ghost roles need more love, at the very least we should give new players somewhere with training wheels to practice learning stuff along with some hand holding that the wiki doesnt provide

the chaos of the game also impacts peoples ability to aquire skills and knowledge that last alot longer than a single round
Spoiler:
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #702505

MooCow12 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:54 pm Depth and complexity are welcoming but deleting the skill floor and not rewarding some level of success from doing the bare minimum is harsh

A friend of mine tried to play the game a couple months ago and told me they ended up quitting because they couldnt make anything as a newbie chemist

Its why i think ghost roles need more love, at the very least we should give new players somewhere with training wheels to practice learning stuff along with some hand holding that the wiki doesnt provide

the chaos of the game also impacts peoples ability to aquire skills and knowledge that last alot longer than a single round
Doesn’t help that there’s no basic test map on the TG code base, if I want to try something in an isolated environment I either have to set up the SM every time or speed run whatever I was going to do before the power dies. (By the way this punishes new engineers a shitload since the power dies even faster in multiplayer.)
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #702506

i feel like if i started mining right now, i would really like this

i feel like if i had been a miner for the past few years i wouldnt like this

neat change, nice job arcane
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #702508

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:11 pm Doesn’t help that there’s no basic test map on the TG code base, if I want to try something in an isolated environment I either have to set up the SM every time or speed run whatever I was going to do before the power dies. (By the way this punishes new engineers a shitload since the power dies even faster in multiplayer.)
There absolutely is a basic test map it's called Runtimestation
Doesn't have an SM though.
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #702517

Jacquerel wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:27 pm
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:11 pm Doesn’t help that there’s no basic test map on the TG code base, if I want to try something in an isolated environment I either have to set up the SM every time or speed run whatever I was going to do before the power dies. (By the way this punishes new engineers a shitload since the power dies even faster in multiplayer.)
There absolutely is a basic test map it's called Runtimestation
Doesn't have an SM though.
It has RTGs that generate enough power for runtime station. You can also varedit one of them if you need more power for whatever reason.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #702519

Turbonerd wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:31 pm It has RTGs that generate enough power for runtime station. You can also varedit one of them if you need more power for whatever reason.
Oh yeah I only mentioned because you might want to fuck with the SM on a solo instance, but generally you don't and it bypasses that entirely by having essentially infinite power.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #702524

can we ban gay chat like im about to start being homophobic and i like dudes.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #702535

When you see rainbow chat you think gay chat, but when i see rainbow chat I think back to the future year 2007 in which the common solution to making anything on the web more epic was the rainbow gradient.
Timonk wrote:
MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702542

For a long long time the rainbow was a Christian symbol about how god would never flood the world again and in the span of a decade that was replaced with the idea of men fucking
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #702549

MooCow12 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:21 pm For a long long time the rainbow was a Christian symbol about how god would never flood the world again and in the span of a decade that was replaced with the idea of men fucking
hopefully the next few decades will see similar cultural improvements
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #702560

chocolate_bickie wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:57 pm
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:16 am

People won't stop playing, they didn't after cobby chem, they didn't after combat mode.

This will push more players away from material intensive jobs though, since few people want to engage with the sweaty powergaming to actually do their job.

Much like cobby chem all the dirty fucking casuals will be bullied out of their role until they build a spreadsheet with the optimal timing and setup required to do their job before the hour mark.

Exactly like chemistry atm.
You misunderstand.

People are going to quit because they want to play the game and do their job but they can't because """scarcity""" and oops all of the metal was wasted already before they got the chance to do something! Antags can creaty scarcity in-round by pulling all the metal into sheets and throwing it into space.

Do you know what happens? The shuttle is called because nobody wants to deal with it. Now imagine that's EVERY round. Nobody wants to deal with it, and it's the natural state, so they stop playing.

It's very different from cobbychem because that was a single job that you could still do things in, it just slowed you down (using buffers and low heats) until you got the spreadsheet.

And I don't know what combat mode has to do with "cannot do anything".
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #702567

i think that if we dont want there to sometimes not be a thing, on a normal round, or else we believe that the round is unplayable then we shouldnt have an economy based on that thing
and i refer here to both materials and credits
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #702572

let me know when you'd like my rent I assume im way behind since i didnt even know i was using this space until your post. If youd like to have a productive conversation about medical/chem im happy to indulge, but harboring this amount of disdain for a feature years after is a bit much.

Not sure how cobbychem "bullied casuals out of their role", chem has always been a very wiki intensive job. Changing the chem effects or what have you doesnt touch that problem. Now Fermichem certainly progresses that issue where you need to know both the recipe AND ideal pH, but im not sure how cobbychem did that anymore than trekchems or goofchems.
dendydoom wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:04 pm it's almost like the people making the code and designing the mechanics are totally detached from the people running the rounds and dictating rules around gameplay and roleplay
its no different than players thinking admins are putting their hands in the cookie jar when they shouldnt be.

This might be true in the sense that people who played heavily in say 2015 or even the timeframe of 2018ish want to recreate the experience they fell in love with which becomes much harder to do when new players come in with a different expectation or personal enjoyment of the game. Especially true when people come from say a murderbone video or a sseth video where the gamey parts are highlighted instead of the more immersive rp-centric style people i'd argue used to be accustomed to, so to curb that you have to make mechanical changes that curb the behavior (such as nerfs or downsides to originally powerful aspects of the game). SUPER Especially true is that the community is big enough now where you the individual dont have to care about how you behave towards other players in the game because the community isnt as tightknitted/small as it used to be, so theres no love lost if you abuse a feature and consequently little love lost if someone ends up patching it despite it being a classic.

Also obligatory you are able to contribute to the game in ways you think it would be improved. It may require selling but thats no different than wanting to push a policy change.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current