I made the station AI generate a portrait of me

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

I made the station AI generate a portrait of me

Post by ekaterina » #704480

I followed in WineAllWine and conrad's footsteps.
What do you you think, spessmen? :D

I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: I made the station AI generate a portrait of me

Post by Jacquerel » #704482

it looks like you've plugged your hair into a seatbelt inlet
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #704483

Oh that's neat. Did you just describe your character to some AI art thing or did you upload the sprite?
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #704484

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:14 pm Oh that's neat. Did you just describe your character to some AI art thing or did you upload the sprite?
Yes. (Both.)
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #704485

Jacquerel wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:13 pm it looks like you've plugged your hair into a seatbelt inlet
It keeps your hair from falling into your face while you're stun batoning and arresting some punk.
ekaterina wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:15 pm
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:14 pm Oh that's neat. Did you just describe your character to some AI art thing or did you upload the sprite?
Yes. (Both.)
What AI/Program/Website did you use?
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #704486

That's actually looks really dope and spot on with the sprite. Kudos.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #704487

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:15 pm What AI/Program/Website did you use?
I used the Dreamshaper 8 model for Stable Diffusion.
Are you thinking about doing the same?
conrad wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:17 pm That's actually looks really dope and spot on with the sprite. Kudos.
:D
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #704488

ekaterina wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:19 pm
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:15 pm What AI/Program/Website did you use?
conrad wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:17 pm That's actually looks really dope and spot on with the sprite. Kudos.
:D :shades: :flash:
Yeah, I've been wanting to try and have AI interpret pixel items (aka most stuff in SS13) for a while. I'm always fascinated by how people can see different things from the same sprite since SS13 tends to leave stuff to the imagination to an extent (such as how there's a load of different interpretations on what moth/lizard people look like)
conrad

Post by conrad » #704489

Only shit thing now is Midjourney no longer has a free trial. Gonna check the pricing model for stable diffusion later today. Thanks for the suggestion!
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #704490

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:22 pm Yeah, I've been wanting to try and have AI interpret pixel items (aka most stuff in SS13) for a while. I'm always fascinated by how people can see different things from the same sprite since SS13 tends to leave stuff to the imagination to an extent (such as how there's a load of different interpretations on what moth/lizard people look like)
Your first step should be grabbing the image of what you want, removing the background when applicable, cropping or expanding your image into a square, and scaling it up to 512x512 without interpolation (it messes up pixel art). 512x768 also works if you're looking for a character's portrait. Then you can upload it into your Stable Diffusion UI, image to image, describe what you want in the prompt, and you let it do its magic. Adjust the positive and negative prompts as needed, play with the denoising, the number of steps, and so on.
conrad wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:28 pm Only shit thing now is Midjourney no longer has a free trial. Gonna check the pricing model for stable diffusion later today. Thanks for the suggestion!
You need not bother checking, I'll tell you the price right here and right now: it's absolutely free :D
You can run it on your own machine, or use one of the various free services that exist on the Internet (although those don't usually have image to image). Paid ones exist too, and you're, of course, free to use one of those.
Last edited by ekaterina on Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #704492

the helmet is very star-wars adjacent, love it
respect (let him do his thing)
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #704496

kinnebian wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:50 pm the helmet is very star-wars adjacent, love it
Yeah. I used the term "lightsaber" to get it to draw the energy sword better, which led the model to give a little bit of a Star Wars hint to the image in general. I liked how it looked, it's a great fit for the security gas mask!
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #704518

me and my housemate fed a picture of me looking extremely uncomfortably stoned in the back of a seminar into this AI shit and it churned out my profile pic after a few tries. it may as well be black magic to me but he got a real kick out of it and i ended up with a pic with fuller lips and nicer hair so i'm not complaining. AI is cool shit.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #704521

that looks fantastic
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #704522

how do i use this

please explain it to me like i am very very stupid
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #704543

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:34 am
how do i use this

https://github.com/automatic1111/stable-diffusion-webui

You can find models on these websites, some of them are NSFW
https://civitai.com
https://huggingface.co
https://rentry.org/hdgrecipes
https://rentry.org/sdg-motherload
https://rentry.org/embeddings
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #704544

i found a crazy model. where i pay humans for art and they generate some really cool personable shit for me instead of monstrous blobs of colors

sorry not sorry, im just honestly astonished that im the first person to ever share the distaste of the ai pfps on this forum. i always thought the ai pfps were dumb as fuck
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #704548

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:29 am that looks fantastic
iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:11 am i found a crazy model. where i pay humans for art and they generate some really cool personable shit for me instead of monstrous blobs of colors
:honkman: :honk: :honk:
Your machine does it without you having to pay anything more than what you already pay to keep it running. Plus, you can generate more than 40 images per hour on your PC, depending on how good your components are, whereas a human artist takes a much longer time to draw a single one.
It's true that the AI still can't make images as good as what a human artist can, but it's much cheaper and much faster, and, if you know what you're doing and can do a little bit of editing yourself (or pay someone since you seem to be fine with doing that), you can get some damn good images.
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:34 am how do i use this
Instructions should be on the tin. https://github.com/vladmandic/automatic ... stallation
You have to install Python 3.10 (there's an option you'll have to tick during install or it won't work) and git, and then you just clone the repository, run the .bat file and let it install itself.
You'll want to go to [install directory]\models\Stable-diffusion and paste your dreamshaper_8.safetensors in there.
Then all you have to do is boot up the UI, type localhost:7860 on your browser, and play with it!
Don't expect to get exactly what you want the first time you generate. You're going to have to add or remove things from the prompt, and sometimes just generate a ton of images with a little bit of randomness until you get one that matches what you're looking for.
technokek wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:51 am
I second this.
I didn't share the links myself because I wasn't sure whether external non-SS13 non-YouTube links were allowed here.
I used a fork of the UI you linked: https://github.com/vladmandic/automatic
And here's a link to the specific model I used: https://civitai.com/models/4384/dreamshaper
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #704550

looks quite nice
► Show Spoiler
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #704551

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:11 am i found a crazy model. where i pay humans for art and they generate some really cool personable shit for me instead of monstrous blobs of colors

sorry not sorry, im just honestly astonished that im the first person to ever share the distaste of the ai pfps on this forum. i always thought the ai pfps were dumb as fuck
Breaking news: User shocked that people might want to make custom portraits without paying a guy 50-100 dollars for a forum profile picture!

"AI tools are divine tools passed down directly to us by the LORD as punishment for artists being really annoying on twitter" - ratlober

Okay, me being an ass aside, art made by a human is always going to have a more personal touch vs. an AI model, but an AI model is much easier to get basic art from. It’s the difference between a nice home-cooked meal (human art) vs. fast food (AI art). Or a nice artisan-made set of dishes vs. picking up a pack of generic plates from Walmart.

AI art to me, is mostly just for drawing up concepts vs. completed art, though even artists I’ve liked who tried using it for that usually dropped it after a few art pieces because it just doesn’t look the same. The other part of AI art that I like is making man-made horrors beyond my comprehension.

But yeah, I’d rather commission someone to make art/a profile picture of my static vs. AI art. (Though I can’t think of any SS13 people that do commissions, or I'm too lazy to look, I guess)

Some examples of such:
Annoying Orange in CS:GO
Spoiler:
A family of five (eyebleach needed)
Spoiler:
Ai Generated Trump Goes Fishing, Catches an Octopus and Cooks It
Spoiler:
AI Steve Harvey Loses His Mind
Spoiler:
My resounding opinion on AI art is "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #704552

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:34 am
how do i use this

You can find models on these websites, some of them are NSFW
https://huggingface.co
https://rentry.org/hdgrecipes
https://rentry.org/sdg-motherload
https://rentry.org/embeddings
ekaterina wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:43 am
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:29 am that looks fantastic
:honkman: :honk: :honk:
Your machine does it without you having to pay anything more than what you already pay to keep it running. Plus, you can generate more than 40 images per hour on your PC, depending on how good your components are, whereas a human artist takes a much longer time to draw a single one.
It's true that the AI still can't make images as good as what a human artist can, but it's much cheaper and much faster, and, if you know what you're doing and can do a little bit of editing yourself (or pay someone since you seem to be fine with doing that), you can get some damn good images.
Instructions should be on the tin. https://github.com/vladmandic/automatic ... stallation
You have to install Python 3.10 (there's an option you'll have to tick during install or it won't work) and git, and then you just clone the repository, run the .bat file and let it install itself.
You'll want to go to [install directory]\models\Stable-diffusion and paste your dreamshaper_8.safetensors in there.
Then all you have to do is boot up the UI, type localhost:7860 on your browser, and play with it!
Don't expect to get exactly what you want the first time you generate. You're going to have to add or remove things from the prompt, and sometimes just generate a ton of images with a little bit of randomness until you get one that matches what you're looking for.
I second this.
I didn't share the links myself because I wasn't sure whether external non-SS13 non-YouTube links were allowed here.
I used a fork of the UI you linked: https://github.com/vladmandic/automatic
And here's a link to the specific model I used: https://civitai.com/models/4384/dreamshaper
nice thanks guys
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #704553

since someone had to be THAT GUY, i'll wait until this thread positively blows the fuck up now to offer my opinion
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #704554

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:09 pm

since someone had to be THAT GUY, i'll wait until this thread positively blows the fuck up now to offer my opinion
It's peak
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #704556

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:11 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:09 pm

It's peak
crud i should have posted that when people were complaining that starsector posting is derailing
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #704570

I’m sorry but I turned my pockets inside out and a fly came out, I can’t pay notafurryartist@gmail.com their 40$ to draw things I want to see I fear
conrad

Post by conrad » #704592

I am flabbergasted, feeling hoodwinked, positively shocked.

If someone details the thread, you throw a fit. You then derail a thread, get warned and make an appeal. You made a thread for music, we engaged. It died down and autolocked, someone else made a thread for music, you posted that you weren't going to engage. And now this.

Ducks what's going on dude? Let people have fun. It's easier and nicer to say "I find this stupid people that use it are doing dumb as fuck things but glad you're having fun" at the very least. Are you doing ok?
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #704607

conrad wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:20 pm

I am flabbergasted, feeling hoodwinked, positively shocked.

If someone details the thread, you throw a fit. You then derail a thread, get warned and make an appeal. You made a thread for music, we engaged. It died down and autolocked, someone else made a thread for music, you posted that you weren't going to engage. And now this.

Ducks what's going on dude? Let people have fun. It's easier and nicer to say "I find this stupid people that use it are doing dumb as fuck things but glad you're having fun" at the very least. Are you doing ok?
the morality of using ai is quite on-topic. the idea that i ever derailed my thread is laughable because it was already dying down. the response to the music thread was because “you MUST” was in the title- that was the joke. im not glad you’re having fun or whatever because i think the ethics and practices are questionable at best.
conrad

Post by conrad » #704608

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:16 pm the idea that i ever derailed my thread is laughable because it was already dying down.
I didn't say that. It died of natural causes, as all threads do, asleep in the great wheel of forum life. If you started counting on your own music thread I didn't see it lmao
iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:16 pm the response to the music thread was because “you MUST” was in the title- that was the joke.
Oh, ok, sorry about that. Bad assumption on my part.
iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:16 pm im not glad you’re having fun or whatever because i think the ethics and practices are questionable at best.
I can see how it looks like that. Friends of mine who are artists haven't complained, they still get comissions from clients 'cos they want precise stuff that AI generated images still struggle to perform. On that front I think stuff is still fine.

There was a part that irked me of the fact that it's machine learning algorithm sifts through images and uses that to generate it's content, which can be seen as stealing. Also people entering art contests with AI generated art. But I don't have the money to pay for an artist for every minor piece of art I want (a pfp, DND portraits, DND landscapes), and I'd use something from the internet anyway. There was one time I comissioned an art piece for a Shadowrun game tho and it was worth it. (AND I FUCKING LOST IT I'M FRANCTICALLY LOOKING FOR IT 'COS IT WAS PRETTY COOL)

E: yay I found it
► Show Spoiler
I guess it depends on what you're using it for?
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #704609

conrad wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:50 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:16 pm the idea that i ever derailed my thread is laughable because it was already dying down.
I didn't say that. It died of natural causes, as all threads do, asleep in the great wheel of forum life. If you started counting on your own music thread I didn't see it lmao
this was about the appeal, specifically. i didnt count in my music thread
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:50 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:16 pm im not glad you’re having fun or whatever because i think the ethics and practices are questionable at best.
I can see how it looks like that. Friends of mine who are artists haven't complained, they still get comissions from clients 'cos they want precise stuff that AI generated images still struggle to perform. On that front I think stuff is still fine.

There was a part that irked me of the fact that it's machine learning algorithm sifts through images and uses that to generate it's content, which can be seen as stealing. Also people entering art contests with AI generated art. But I don't have the money to pay for an artist for every minor piece of art I want (a pfp, DND portraits, DND landscapes), and I'd use something from the internet anyway. There was one time I comissioned an art piece for a Shadowrun game tho and it was worth it. (AND I FUCKING LOST IT I'M FRANCTICALLY LOOKING FOR IT 'COS IT WAS PRETTY COOL)

E: yay I found it
► Show Spoiler
I guess it depends on what you're using it for?
i honestly think doing ai stuff for dnd is fine because it really is just there to be a visual aid. i mean like u said you’d just take pictures from the internet anyways (i do too for dnd stuff) lol.

i think my visceral response, beyond the ethics, is the fact that forum pfps are what i put names to faces to. being an ai-generated blob of colors that’s meant to look good from a distance just rubs me the wrong way. something about it makes it hard to sympathize with cause it just feels off. it reaches the uncanny valley because the only purpose of it is to “look real, match the prompt” and nothing else. it’s a fake human staring at me. Gives me the creeps, frankly.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #704610

also i forgot to include this but that art piece looks sick as hell
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #704611

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:16 pm the morality of using ai is quite on-topic. the idea that i ever derailed my thread is laughable because it was already dying down. the response to the music thread was because “you MUST” was in the title- that was the joke. im not glad you’re having fun or whatever because i think the ethics and practices are questionable at best.
... the morality? What could possibly be the ethical problem here? Are you referring to it sTeALiNG artists' jobs? A machine rendering you obsolete is not morally wrong, it's technological progress, it has always happened and it will continue to happen. Are you going to be a 21st century Luddite? Perhaps you're referring to it being trained on images created by existing artists? You could train a model on material exclusively from the public domain if that's it, but I am with the school of thought that it isn't any different from a human artist drawing inspiration from a variety of different artists.
iwishforducks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:08 pm being an ai-generated blob of colors that’s meant to look good from a distance just rubs me the wrong way
... as opposed to a human-generated blob of colours that's meant to look good from a distance?
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #704904

ekaterina wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:22 pm Are you going to be a 21st century Luddite?
yes