Terry Admin Seethes Over Successful Cult Recruitment Campaign

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Terry Admin Seethes Over Successful Cult Recruitment Campaign

Post by Kendrickorium » #704781

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34955
Last edited by Kendrickorium on Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Re: Terry Admin Seethes Over Successful Cult Recruitment Campaign

Post by kieth4 » #704972

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:26 pm
kieth4 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:56 am
datorangebottle wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:41 am
kieth4 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:26 am Admin just set the note to expire in 3 months and we're all happy
Not really, no. It's still factually incorrect and harsh.
Let me teach you about the art of the deal kiddo, also known as compromise.

Do I agree with this note/admins actions? Nope.

However, there is value in realising hey, this appeal has some issues that may make it hard for the headmins to just go noob note lift.

So then you look for the next best thing- an expiring note for 3 months in these circumstances works. It gets the issue across (whilst kinda going it's a grey area so just don't do it again like this.) But as it was such a grey area it vanishes in 3 months so the appealer just needs to make new habits in that period really.

Your goal should be to resolve this whilst factoring in all issues. Was the appeal slightly problematic? Yes. Fikou has expressed that this raises doubts for him so then you go alright- TBM kinda doesn't like this what could they potentially agree on? And then you come to your conclusion.

Being set in your ways is a surefire way to end up with nobody happy, and our goal is to get the best outcome for the player.
It took me a while to respond because I wanted to get some sleep beforehand, to make sure this post wasn't some weird thing I imagined. This is perhaps the weirdest take I've seen in a peanut thread, and it's combined with an obnoxiously condescending tone.
A compromise here would set an extremely worrying precedent- that this is a valid enforcement of the rules. That admins are allowed to action people for surrendering mid-fight to a conversion antag.
A compromise here also leaves a player punished who shouldn't have been, and that compromise still leaves in a risk of another admin using a wrongly placed, badly worded note against them.
A weak, lukewarm compromise is only going to make the banning admin happy, because they don't have to spend time and effort on it anymore.
If you don't want to compromise you're not going to get anywhere bro idk what else to say. There is very clearly enough doubt to go this isn't shrimply a clear cut case. So you've gotta work around it to get the best result.

I am very against this note but I also respect that the appeal + logs are enough for some people to be suspect.

which is cool but then I feel like you've gotta find the next best solution right
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #704976

conrad wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:22 am Kieth4 essayposting while punching himself in the stomach trying to knock the GM inside him unconscious.
nature is so beautiful
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #704977

kieth4 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:32 pm If you don't want to compromise you're not going to get anywhere bro idk what else to say. There is very clearly enough doubt to go this isn't shrimply a clear cut case. So you've gotta work around it to get the best result.

I am very against this note but I also respect that the appeal + logs are enough for some people to be suspect.

which is cool but then I feel like you've gotta find the next best solution right
It's not that I never want to compromise, it's that I don't want a compromise here.
Sometimes compromise isn't the answer. A situation like this, where it can serve to inform future rules decisions, deserves decisive action. Amending or putting an expiration date on the note would be acceptable if this were a situation that deserved a note to begin with.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #704979

i agree with orangebottle’s spirit almost entirely but kieth is sensible. both people are correct? how can this be?
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #704984

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:59 pm
kieth4 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:32 pm If you don't want to compromise you're not going to get anywhere bro idk what else to say. There is very clearly enough doubt to go this isn't shrimply a clear cut case. So you've gotta work around it to get the best result.

It's not that I never want to compromise, it's that I don't want a compromise here.
Sometimes compromise isn't the answer. A situation like this, where it can serve to inform future rules decisions, deserves decisive action. Amending or putting an expiration date on the note would be acceptable if this were a situation that deserved a note to begin with.
where it can serve to inform future rules decisions, deserves decisive action. <quote by you

I find this to not actually be the case 99.9% of the time. Everything is too case by case basis
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #704985

essaypostermins copying what I said with more words to make me look bad smh fr fr
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #704994

Fikou wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:03 pm
kieth4 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:56 pm
I mean, they're fighting for a bit then he surrenders. It's possible he hit a wall and just thought that like; "hey I can't win anymore no point in fighting" so they gave up. There was some previous attempt made and it did seem kinda goodish faith (subjective)

Their perspective is a bit skewed sure- (I think this could be due to like, just how hectic the sitch was and them misremembering I know for certain that I misremember like, only a few bits of a situation and neglect others but in a genuine accident as my brain latches on the action important stuff and it all merges)

but that's just my 2 cents.
It's difficult to see good faith in an appeal when it contains wrong information- When you come to the forums you're expected to have already gathered up the view of the situation to present the best case for the admin and the rest of the team, who probably hasn't even seen the situation.
In contrast in this appeal you have a guy talking about stuff that didn't happen and doesn't really explain anything, like why he just stood there in command hallway for 20 seconds not doing anything before surrendering randomly.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:50 pm Literal NRP behavior.

The appealer is right, just because they roleplay self-preservation instincts, but you, a head admin, treat your character as a game character instead of a roleplay character, does not they're in the wrong here.
cool jab bro?
Man i really didn't expect to see a 100 post peanut on my note appeal. Perhaps this isn't the place, but i'll answer your and other concerns i've read here to the best of my ability while my thoughts are still fresh-ish.
Firstly - and perhaps most importantly - my memory is very poor. Be it short or long term, it all floats together and details mix, which is why i typed out my appeal as soon as my conversation with Thunder in ahelps concluded. I don't really know how to use scrubby, and frankly just wanted to get it over with since writing appeals is probably the least fun thing you can do related to ss13.
I forgot to mention two pretty important details in my appeal: The cult were final summoning in the captains office (on Metastation), and i was literally fresh out of arrivals when the announcement came. We assaulted through the lower and leftmost airlocks, and i ended up sandwiched between the gateway wall and the wall to the captain's office (iirc more toward the corporate showroom side of the corridor).
As for why i stayed behind with the medborg, that was because i (or maybe the borg? I forgor) was dragging a deepcrit cultist which i'd decided i'd deconvert.
The whole 5 minute complaint strikes me as odd: We'd already killed or deepcrit all the cultists by the ritual site, and since everyone else left as if it was over i had no reason to think there was another fully armed goon squad ready for round two.
I don't remember exactly how the fight went down, but i do know that a wraith came out of cap's office and began attacking me.
At some point i get stunned (I remember it as being put into and healing out of crit, but since that apparently didn't happen i'm guessing i either got cult airlock/item stunned, funnyhanded or someone cast the hallucination spell? I can't think of anything else that'd cause it) and when i get up there's a clown car's worth of cultists around me.

Finally, i saw someone say that i ought to play better considering my vast amount of playtime. The simple answer to that is that game knowledge means very little without the mental hardware to use it well. When I encounter unexpected situations with no time to plan, my gameplay falls apart and i do stupid/suboptimal shit. Hans Heisenberg gets owned a LOT because of this, as i'm sure many of my fellow terryites can attest.

I don't see anything weird with my roleplay here. Assaulting a cult ritual site is just one of those things you do as crew because everyone dies if they finish their incantation, but when being faced with the choice of immediate, near certain death or certain death a little later, the vast majority of people will obey the man with the knife, even if they know they're being taken somewhere isolated.

I feel as though this post became less and less coherent, but i really need to sleep now. If i'm not making sense, ask.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #704998

yeah that sounds good to me. pack it up folks and lift the note pls, thunder
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #704999

Annihilite111 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:28 pm lots and lots of relevant words
You should put this stuff on your appeal. This is the peanut thread. This info is actually relevant.
Annihilite111 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:28 pm Finally, i saw someone say that i ought to play better considering my vast amount of playtime. The simple answer to that is that game knowledge means very little without the mental hardware to use it well. When I encounter unexpected situations with no time to plan, my gameplay falls apart and i do stupid/suboptimal shit. Hans Heisenberg gets owned a LOT because of this, as i'm sure many of my fellow terryites can attest.
Hi, someone here.
Thank you for reminding me of another reason I hate the "HOURS???" argument, and my apologies for using it.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #705014

I put the information on his behalf
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #705020

Annihilite111 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:28 pm
Fikou wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:03 pm
kieth4 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:56 pm
I mean, they're fighting for a bit then he surrenders. It's possible he hit a wall and just thought that like; "hey I can't win anymore no point in fighting" so they gave up. There was some previous attempt made and it did seem kinda goodish faith (subjective)

Their perspective is a bit skewed sure- (I think this could be due to like, just how hectic the sitch was and them misremembering I know for certain that I misremember like, only a few bits of a situation and neglect others but in a genuine accident as my brain latches on the action important stuff and it all merges)

but that's just my 2 cents.
It's difficult to see good faith in an appeal when it contains wrong information- When you come to the forums you're expected to have already gathered up the view of the situation to present the best case for the admin and the rest of the team, who probably hasn't even seen the situation.
In contrast in this appeal you have a guy talking about stuff that didn't happen and doesn't really explain anything, like why he just stood there in command hallway for 20 seconds not doing anything before surrendering randomly.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:50 pm Literal NRP behavior.

The appealer is right, just because they roleplay self-preservation instincts, but you, a head admin, treat your character as a game character instead of a roleplay character, does not they're in the wrong here.
cool jab bro?
Man i really didn't expect to see a 100 post peanut on my note appeal. Perhaps this isn't the place, but i'll answer your and other concerns i've read here to the best of my ability while my thoughts are still fresh-ish.
Firstly - and perhaps most importantly - my memory is very poor. Be it short or long term, it all floats together and details mix, which is why i typed out my appeal as soon as my conversation with Thunder in ahelps concluded. I don't really know how to use scrubby, and frankly just wanted to get it over with since writing appeals is probably the least fun thing you can do related to ss13.
I forgot to mention two pretty important details in my appeal: The cult were final summoning in the captains office (on Metastation), and i was literally fresh out of arrivals when the announcement came. We assaulted through the lower and leftmost airlocks, and i ended up sandwiched between the gateway wall and the wall to the captain's office (iirc more toward the corporate showroom side of the corridor).
As for why i stayed behind with the medborg, that was because i (or maybe the borg? I forgor) was dragging a deepcrit cultist which i'd decided i'd deconvert.
The whole 5 minute complaint strikes me as odd: We'd already killed or deepcrit all the cultists by the ritual site, and since everyone else left as if it was over i had no reason to think there was another fully armed goon squad ready for round two.
I don't remember exactly how the fight went down, but i do know that a wraith came out of cap's office and began attacking me.
At some point i get stunned (I remember it as being put into and healing out of crit, but since that apparently didn't happen i'm guessing i either got cult airlock/item stunned, funnyhanded or someone cast the hallucination spell? I can't think of anything else that'd cause it) and when i get up there's a clown car's worth of cultists around me.

Finally, i saw someone say that i ought to play better considering my vast amount of playtime. The simple answer to that is that game knowledge means very little without the mental hardware to use it well. When I encounter unexpected situations with no time to plan, my gameplay falls apart and i do stupid/suboptimal shit. Hans Heisenberg gets owned a LOT because of this, as i'm sure many of my fellow terryites can attest.

I don't see anything weird with my roleplay here. Assaulting a cult ritual site is just one of those things you do as crew because everyone dies if they finish their incantation, but when being faced with the choice of immediate, near certain death or certain death a little later, the vast majority of people will obey the man with the knife, even if they know they're being taken somewhere isolated.

I feel as though this post became less and less coherent, but i really need to sleep now. If i'm not making sense, ask.
Unrobust noob? I've changed my mind keep the note..
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #705027

UNROBUST NOOB??? SEND HIM TO TERRY SECTOR TO TRAIN WITH THE ELITE
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #705028

it's time to go home, everyone.
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #705044

Every new term gets their character development appeal peanut early

Edit: it got lifted the term passed the first vibe check
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #705058

the votes have been changed to reflect fikous change in view with the added context.
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #705060

TheBibleMelts wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:26 am Image

it's time to go home, everyone.
NO, I MY BLADE DEMANDS BLOOD, ADMINS KILL THEE
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #705065

A HAPPY SUCCESFUL END TO A PEANUT THREAD!

REMINDER TO GET YOUR THREAD TITLE JUDGES APPLICATION READY FOR THIS DECEMBER!