Immovable note supplexed by headmin review nut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Immovable note supplexed by headmin review nut

Post by conrad » #705625

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&p=705624#p705624

20 minutes. Can we get any lower?
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: Immovable note supplexed by headmin review nut

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #705976

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:07 pmwe're going to look purely at the note, what it describes, and if said note is inaccurate. notes are meant to establish behavior patterns, leave context for admins in future situations, and tell those admins if you stick your hand in the candy bowl too many times.
By the way, just want to call out TBM here for bringing up the many, MANY times debunked narrative that notes are merely administrative record-keeping. Notes are a punishment, including this note.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #705978

no no no not this argument again please
respect (let him do his thing)
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #705979

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:55 am
TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:07 pmwe're going to look purely at the note, what it describes, and if said note is inaccurate. notes are meant to establish behavior patterns, leave context for admins in future situations, and tell those admins if you stick your hand in the candy bowl too many times.
By the way, just want to call out TBM here for bringing up the many, MANY times debunked narrative that notes are merely administrative record-keeping. Notes are a punishment, including this note.
why do people say this like its a gotcha when you and tbm are saying exactly the same thing
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #705980

CLASSIC NOTES ARE A PUNISHMENT SEGWAY GOTTA LOVE IT LADS AND LASSES FUCKIN ELL!
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #705981

Does anyone know where I can buy cheap gravel, asking for a friend
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #705982

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:19 am
why do people say this like its a gotcha when you and tbm are saying exactly the same thing
We aren't. TBM is implying they're for records-keeping. "Notes are meant to establish patterns and leave context for admins in future situations.". He is clearly and obviously on the "They're records-keeping" side, but they're not for records-keeping, notes are the 2nd step in the punishment ladder, which goes Verbal > Note > Partial/temp ban > Permaban > Blacklist. Notes are frequently brought up in bans as a reason for punishment severity, so they're a punishment, as they make you more likely to receive bans or other harsher punishments in the future. This isn't a bad thing, but to imply that they're not a punishment like TBM is doing here is flat out wrong.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #705983

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:35 am
We aren't. TBM is implying they're for records-keeping. "Notes are meant to establish patterns and leave context for admins in future situations.". He is clearly and obviously on the "They're records-keeping" side, but they're not for records-keeping, notes are the 2nd step in the punishment ladder, which goes Verbal > Note > Partial/temp ban > Permaban > Blacklist. Notes are frequently brought up in bans as a reason for punishment severity, so they're a punishment, as they make you more likely to receive bans or other harsher punishments in the future. This isn't a bad thing, but to imply that they're not a punishment like TBM is doing here is flat out wrong.
"Notes are meant to establish patterns and leave context for admins in future situations." Context for admins to apply better judgement which might be a ban, the pattern is usually also what gets banned on. You are just jumping at shadows my guy, you are saying the same thing as tbm.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #705984

Just shut up.
conrad

Post by conrad » #705991

Turbonerd wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:22 am Just shut up.

Those two things are not mutualy exclusive.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #705992

What a fucking freak.

Bring back Sinfulbliss.

Further points in order of I skimmed this peanut:

notes are punishments.

Wait this is a note..?

*Scratches head*

This is a note?

Notes are punishments.

Wtf all this for a note?
► Show Spoiler
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #705993

What you are saying is punishment is record keeping. Having records of the past actions of a player and taking them into account can result in their future actions being treated more harshly. As you believe this is in of itself a form of punishment, you believe that record keeping is punishment.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #705994

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:06 pm
What you are saying is punishment is record keeping. Having records of the past actions of a player and taking them into account can result in their future actions being treated more harshly. As you believe this is in of itself a form of punishment, you believe that record keeping is punishment.
As notes are solely used as "strikes" this is correct, notes are punishments.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #705998

The nature of negative notes (which I will be referring to as notes for the rest of this post) is that they are records of wrongdoing that can be used as a reasoning of escalation to a ban upon further wrongdoing of the same nature within a period of time.

In my opinion, this is the minimum level of punishment that can be done to a player. You were officially warned by the admin, and it was recorded for other admins to see and act based on it.

The concept of "notes are not a punishment" is self-defeating. If notes are not a punishment, why are they used as fuel for further punishment? And why can they be appealed if not a punishment?

Usually if I feel the player needs a caution (new player, or information that justifies but still doesn't remove all fault) but does not deserve a punishment, I would usually just tell them off without the note.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #706000

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:06 pm
I mean, 99.9% of notes are negative and only exist to increase the severity of future punishments, so, yes.

Like, I have 2 positive notes and 2 negative notes, but I'm preeeeeeeetty sure that I'm a major exception, from how I've talked to other players. I would have more, but 3 notes on me have been removed on successful appeal and 2 additional ones were very, very, very low severity temp notes.

But for everyone else in the community, the only function notes have is to make sure they get punished harder in the future. So, maybe if you don't want notes to be seen as a punishment, you should write more positive notes, so that way they can be more neutral instead of always being negative.

When was the last time you gave a player a positive note, Jacquerel?
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #706001

Honestly, the argument itself is besides the point because TBM has not referred to whether notes are a punishment or not.
This is true regardless of whether it's a punishment or not. If it's not true, then notes are completely pointless.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #706002

Archie700 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:05 pm
In my opinion, this is the minimum level of punishment that can be done to a player. You were officially warned by the admin, and it was recorded for other admins to see and act based on it.
Notes are a punishment, but there is a lower level of punishment: just a slap on the wrist don't do it again. Players don't like being bwoinked, being told off is not pleasant and if people react in good faith I'm often happy with "okay we had this chat and now they know not to do it again"
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #706004

Mfw the are notes a punishment argument remerges for the 10000th time and the same points are brought up by everyone and it'll lead to nothing again

I'll wear my notes are punishment hat tho..
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #706007

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:11 pmWhen was the last time you gave a player a positive note, Jacquerel?
if i gave a player a positive note then i would be subject to administrative action myself, on account of the fact that I am not an admin
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #706008

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:20 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:11 pmWhen was the last time you gave a player a positive note, Jacquerel?
if i gave a player a positive note then i would be subject to administrative action myself, on account of the fact that I am not an admin
Do it anyways nerd.

cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #706010

Where did this argument even start, what's its fucking point. It seems like such a useless debate over semantics, I don't see any useful action being taken or policy or practice being changed if everyone decides definitively whether they are or aren't a punishment.
► Show Spoiler
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #706011

cSeal wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:05 pm Where did this argument even start, what's its fucking point. It seems like such a useless debate over semantics, I don't see any useful action being taken or policy or practice being changed if everyone decides definitively whether they are or aren't a punishment.
yeah it's a pretty zero-sum game.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #706014

cSeal wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:05 pm Where did this argument even start, what's its fucking point. It seems like such a useless debate over semantics, I don't see any useful action being taken or policy or practice being changed if everyone decides definitively whether they are or aren't a punishment.
imitates-the-lizards was just shitstirring
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #706020

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:55 pm
imitates-the-lizards was just shitstirring
Holding the headmeme accountable for incorrectly implying notes are only administrative records-keeping isn't shitstirring
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #706022

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:21 pm
Holding the headmeme accountable for incorrectly implying notes are only administrative records-keeping isn't shitstirring
You're going off of imagined implication and the thing you're saying is being implied is an entirely useless bit of semantics
Was the note justified? Are there details missing? Was there misconduct in its application? Questions like that are important, and if a note is a punishment is entirely irrelevant to any of their answers.
► Show Spoiler
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #706025

cSeal wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:29 pm
You're going off of imagined implication and the thing you're saying is being implied is an entirely useless bit of semantics
Was the note justified? Are there details missing? Was there misconduct in its application? Questions like that are important, and if a note is a punishment is entirely irrelevant to any of their answers.
I think it fairly obvious that whether or not notes are a punishment is relevant to whether or not a note is justifiable, otherwise there wouldn't be any need to justify notes... Why would you need to justify them if they aren't a punishment?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #706026

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:58 pm
cSeal wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:29 pm
I think it fairly obvious that whether or not notes are a punishment is relevant to whether or not a note is justifiable, otherwise there wouldn't be any need to justify notes... Why would you need to justify them if they aren't a punishment?
it actually isn't and this post is complete nonsense
you need to justify notes because they need to be an accurate record
the "punishment" is simply that having a record of your past behaviour can make your future behaviour look worse, as a result of note taking
"remembering this person" would be a similar punishment but difficult to spread across a team of 100 admins and harder to reference your brain in a ban appeal
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #706029

notes only need to be factual and not too harsh. they need no justification- though it’d be pretty difficult to keep applying notes with no justification constantly
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #706031

kieth4 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:31 am
AsbestosSniffer wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:46 am A player on Manuel ate an instant permaban for something similar.

Only in that case it was a comment targeting a cat girl, just sayin'.
(The Felinid deep state strikes again...)
Rule 8 fluctuates between like, insta perma ban grr and pretty lenient stuff. It's hard to get right.
The rule is badly written, which means it's mostly up to admin interpretation, but more importantly, if you try to defend against a rule 8 accusation for someone in the bus you're likely to get someone attempting to conclude you're supporting creepy people, which means the only people who really comment on it are headadmins.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #706038

tried taking notes on this but the paper started screaming and i spilt my drink in fear.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #706039

>starsector posting is annoying
>starsector posting is the same as counting
>starsector posting is just thread derailment
>i hate having to wade through starsector posting so i can get to the meat of why notes are bad for the 50th time

i hope youre all happy
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #706040

lets only derail threads by proposing that notes are or arent punishment now
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #706044

Thinking of going luddic path this time guys
► Show Spoiler
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #706059

Kendrickorium wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:36 pm >starsector posting is annoying
>starsector posting is the same as counting
>starsector posting is just thread derailment
>i hate having to wade through starsector posting so i can get to the meat of why notes are bad for the 50th time

i hope youre all happy
im happy :D
conrad

Post by conrad » #706061

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:43 pm lets only derail threads by proposing that notes are or arent punishment now
It's supremely intelligent and creative takes like this that gut me everytime I have to place Jacquerel in second place as my favourite maintainer (he's at the moment numero uno ☝ tho)

Notes are punishment and any admin that says otherwise was a front-row nerd in school.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #706063

Make notes an FBI-style psychological profile of players that is only visible to admins and separate it from warnings which are explicitly punishments. I trust this won‘t be abused
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #706064

"notes arent punishment" people when the teacher forgets to pick up homework: 🤓 uhmm teacher??? you forgot to take up the homework!! 🤓 🤓

Chad "notes are punishment" people when the teacher asks the class how the paper is coming along: 😭 im so stressed im only 30% done with the paper i dont know if i will get it done in time 😭 🥺 teacher can we get an extension please???
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #706066

feaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:16 pm Make notes an FBI-style psychological profile of players that is only visible to admins and separate it from warnings which are explicitly punishments. I trust this won‘t be abused
this has been in practice for like 12 years, fellow spaceman.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #706067

oranges wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:47 pm
kieth4 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:31 am
AsbestosSniffer wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:46 am A player on Manuel ate an instant permaban for something similar.

Only in that case it was a comment targeting a cat girl, just sayin'.
(The Felinid deep state strikes again...)
Rule 8 fluctuates between like, insta perma ban grr and pretty lenient stuff. It's hard to get right.
The rule is badly written, which means it's mostly up to admin interpretation, but more importantly, if you try to defend against a rule 8 accusation for someone in the bus you're likely to get someone attempting to conclude you're supporting creepy people, which means the only people who really comment on it are headadmins.
With these types of rules it'll always be up to admins and that's because of the nature of rule 8 situations. There's a lot of nuance.

but ya bus is often hard to have opposing opinions in
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #706068

iwishforducks wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:16 pm "notes arent punishment" people when the teacher forgets to pick up homework: 🤓 uhmm teacher??? you forgot to take up the homework!! 🤓 🤓

Chad "notes are punishment" people when the teacher asks the class how the paper is coming along: 😭 im so stressed im only 30% done with the paper i dont know if i will get it done in time 😭 🥺 teacher can we get an extension please???
Your comments are a punishment on the forums as they impact people's thoughts and engagement with the forums.
feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #706071

TheBibleMelts wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:24 pm
feaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:16 pm Make notes an FBI-style psychological profile of players that is only visible to admins and separate it from warnings which are explicitly punishments. I trust this won‘t be abused
I had assumed that notes becoming visible included anything written down about you. Why bother to appeal a note then?
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #706072

feaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:00 pm
I had assumed that notes becoming visible included anything written down about you. Why bother to appeal a note then?
that's the fun part, it's usually not worth the bother. for anybody involved.
conrad

Post by conrad » #706073

feaster wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:00 pm
If you believe a note is unjust, you appeal it so it doesn't impact future judgement of an admin which would then result in a harsher punishment, due to rule 7.

Admins make mistakes, and owning up to those mistakes are what makes a good admin good.

Those mistakes are not common however or else we wouldn't do notes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #706075

finally dropped my ban appeal because this thread was so boring
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #706076

CPTANT wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 am If it requires a multi paragraph post by the guy that implemented the feature to explain the consequences, then maybe this isn't knowledge every random player should be expected to know.
goof didnt make chloral? He may have touched it down the line when he switched the chems from trekkies but i wouldnt say he implemented chloral.

The misunderstanding comes from when chloral used to sleep much faster. The reason it was considered a "death chem" is not because the chem itself killed you, but because you were basically dead if an antag shot you w this due to the hard stun. Stuns were (and still are) lethal.

The real puzzling piece was if goof posted the paragraph to nerd out over chloral or to just btfo sinful.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #706079

I think this thread is past the expiration date. Why do you people have to bikeshed about notes, it doesn't matter
Very cool link
Look at my cool text