YOU WILL PLAY CULT policy peanut thread

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

YOU WILL PLAY CULT policy peanut thread

Post by iwishforducks » #705892

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34628

so what do i do if i just dont want to play cultist do i just alt+tab after pretending to care for 5 minutes or what
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Re: YOU WILL PLAY CULT policy peanut thread

Post by WineAllWine » #705985

massa wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:25 am btw if you ahelp to offer to ghosts too much they'll secret note you then antag ban you

remember the note wasn't a punishment
I don't know if this is a joke or not but this wouldn't happen. If I saw this secret note I would speak to the admin in question and ask the headmins to remove it.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #705990

kieth4 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:05 am ages ago now someone had to go, got offered to ghosts and the ghost now in their body said a bunch of freaky shit to me...asked them recently and found out it wasnt them. Funniest shit ever, thought they were a freak for a good year.
one of the funniest moments i will always remember is when scriptis got my body after i asked admins to replace me on a wizard round, and i was the captain
so, everyone sees my ghost orbiting my body, starts bullying and then straight up attacking scriptis, killing him while he screams WHAT ARE YOU DOING I AM SUNSHINE DAY. I AM SUNSHINE DAY. I AM THE CAPTAIN WHAT ARE YOU DOING. I AM LITERALLY SUNSHINE DAY WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!!???!

funniest shit ever
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #706093

I can't speak for other admins, but I would not punish someone who got converted and just went back to doing their job like nothing happened.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #706099

I literally wouldn't give a shit, just don't actively sabotage the cult and don't be surprised if you have to start gaming when you're dripping blood everywhere from the visible halo above your head.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #706100

Vekter wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:46 am I can't speak for other admins, but I would not punish someone who got converted and just went back to doing their job like nothing happened.
Yeah, that's always been how a lot of people (at least on manuel) tend to go about it, like, sometimes I'll run past botany when there's a huge fight somewhere because Nar'sie is about to be summoned and the botanists are just growing fruits and stuff despite having halos and red eyes
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #706108

Vekter wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:46 am I can't speak for other admins, but I would not punish someone who got converted and just went back to doing their job like nothing happened.
Kinda sucks for the cult players though. They had no way of knowing these individuals didn't want to be converted.

Why not just offer them a nuetral note cult ban?
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #706109

converting people to cult is generally really easy. you also ultimately should be prioritizing converting people you know are good at cult too. there’s definitely risk involved in converting when stealth converting at the start though. at the end of the day you are still making progress because you are knocking out people from the station, who would otherwise be your adversaries.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #706110

chocolate_bickie wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:51 am
Kinda sucks for the cult players though. They had no way of knowing these individuals didn't want to be converted.

Sometimes you just wanna grow weed leave 'em alone
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #706111

WineAllWine wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:58 am
chocolate_bickie wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:51 am

Sometimes you just wanna grow weed leave 'em alone
What I mean though is that there is a cost to the cult players. More converts brings you closer to red eyes and halos. If those players aren't contributing it's an active detriment to the cult.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #706112

Holy L admins.... the fuck are these HORRIBLE takes. Converting someone is often a high risk action, especially if it's early into the round. If you convert someone and they go back to grinding their job this is kinda sabotage to the team because you took the high risk action to convert them and then they dont do anything. It's like rev doctors reviving not revs I just don't get it. If you don't want to play the antag ask for a ban.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #706113

i thought we banned crag for that
respect (let him do his thing)
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #706116

kinnebian wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:59 am i thought we banned crag for that
indeed
Told his converting Headrev "I'm not contributing" When I tried to talk to them about this, Crag spoke IC that he was talking to the admins and just wanted to play the game, then DC'd before our conversation could continue. I am also placing a Perma-ban on conversion antagonists, but I will lift it on request.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #706123

GRRRRR *turns into hulk* I HATE INCONSISTENT ENFORCEMENT IT MAKES IT HARD TO ENJOY THE GAME RAWRRWRWRWRWRWRWR *smashes stuff*
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #706124

kieth4 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:30 am GRRRRR *turns into hulk* I HATE INCONSISTENT ENFORCEMENT IT MAKES IT HARD TO ENJOY THE GAME RAWRRWRWRWRWRWRWR *smashes stuff*
get this man a true...
respect (let him do his thing)
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #706125

kieth4 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:47 am Holy L admins.... the fuck are these HORRIBLE takes. Converting someone is often a high risk action, especially if it's early into the round. If you convert someone and they go back to grinding their job this is kinda sabotage to the team because you took the high risk action to convert them and then they dont do anything. It's like rev doctors reviving not revs I just don't get it. If you don't want to play the antag ask for a ban.
It's also fail RP and feels incredibly lame. If someone doesn't want to play antag, just antag ban them. They probably wouldn't care, so I have no idea why these admins brush it off as too much effort or don't want to hurt feelings or whatever.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #706135

Look, it's an imperfect situation. There's no way to make everyone happy. Personally, I don't think your static name is so holy that you should worry about one person taking it over for a round, and if they're being shitheads with it to make you look like a pervert then that's an administrative issue.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #706138

This is actually pretty interesting, so do players get punished for going back to their job after conversion? Was Crag an inside job?? Does Kieth even recognize the team anymore??
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #706141

No not exactly

AsbestosSniffer
Byond Username: The Asbestos Sniffer

Post by AsbestosSniffer » #706153

Sightld2 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:26 pm
No not exactly
Except you kind of did
Observer main. Otherwise I play Lucy Trelawney on Manuel.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #706154

AsbestosSniffer wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:22 pm
No not exactly
Except you kind of did
I think that is an odd thing to think when the appeal for that ban even reads “for OOC in IC”

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #706156

AsbestosSniffer wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:22 pm
No not exactly
Except you kind of did
Except he was banned for OOC in IC and continued overly hostile behavior towards other players and admins.

I'm all for us having a determination as to whether or not it's an okay thing to do, but the Crag example is a shitty one.
Spoiler:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #706157

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:55 am you also ultimately should be prioritizing converting people you know are good at cult too.
While i understand it I really hate this mechanic that to get good at the mode you need to be converted to understand how it plays, but realistically the only people who would convert you (the newbie) are the people who are also new and not going to be helpful in learning the mode OR after the antag is so solidified they could have just killed you and be just as set.

The conversion mechanic being a process ends up sabotaging people trying to learn the game because it just encourages the smart antags to not convert you since you arent worth the risk, therefore making it extremely difficult to pick up and unfun to play because you dont know what youre doing.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #706159

Cobby wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:33 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:55 am you also ultimately should be prioritizing converting people you know are good at cult too.
While i understand it I really hate this mechanic that to get good at the mode you need to be converted to understand how it plays, but realistically the only people who would convert you (the newbie) are the people who are also new and not going to be helpful in learning the mode OR after the antag is so solidified they could have just killed you and be just as set.

The conversion mechanic being a process ends up sabotaging people trying to learn the game because it just encourages the smart antags to not convert you since you arent worth the risk, therefore making it extremely difficult to pick up and unfun to play because you dont know what youre doing.
While I do agree that cult mechanics are too complicated and dumb, I think people should try to be less competitive and just have fun. Seeking certain statics to convert is kinda cringe.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #706171

I convert everyone sometimes I kill statics because its funny
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #706179

ive always been against forcing an optimal playstyle. imo it's fine to be bad at your job but not fine to intentionally work against your team's efforts, there is a pretty clear distinction between the 2
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #706210

There was a policy thread that got locked saying you can suicide before conversion but ghosting is a nono..

I missed my chance to add a funny little happy fact that there is actually a way to suicide (yes dnr and all) while stunned and cuffed by a cultist it just takes like 20 seconds of prep to do before hand

As for when i do get converted and dont really feel like playing cult i just pretend to be a newbie and ask "what do" "how do I make spells" and usually the person that converted me will run off in frustration and ill just continue my own thing helping cult from the side lines like making bombs or pre-emptively building a stronghold at a summoning location with reinforced walls or a forcefield generator and shit.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #706300

I have cult turned off. What happens if someone tries to convert me? Does it ghost me? I don't want someone else playing my character.
Genuine question.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #706301

kayozz wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:40 am I have cult turned off. What happens if someone tries to convert me? Does it ghost me? I don't want someone else playing my character.
Genuine question.
Disabling cult in antag preferences only stops you from being selected as one of the initial cult leaders, there's no way to opt out of being converted.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #706304

Jacquerel wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:47 am there's no way to opt out of being converted.
Aside from asking the admins for a cult role ban, but that just means you get ghosted instead.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #706307

dendydoom wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:38 pm ive always been against forcing an optimal playstyle. imo it's fine to be bad at your job but not fine to intentionally work against your team's efforts, there is a pretty clear distinction between the 2
Preach it babes.

I get mega annoyed by anyone trying to make their style the only acceptable style. Just in general, it applies to everything.

This game in particular is a TTRPG, meaning player agency is a feature, and not just what the writers, programmers or GM's come up with. In this case, the coders, admins, and other players.

Gatekeeping weirdos out here smh.
Hugs
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #706327

dendydoom wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:38 pm there is a pretty clear distinction between the 2
Theres a bit of distinction somewhat but its very muddy because motivation is a big factor in if youre being noob or legally sinking your team because you lost. Killing people in bar who insult narsie getting your cult revealed in minute 9 is a troll thing to do and tanks your teams chances, but technically youre still contributing by attacking noncultists. Going back to medbay or botany to do your job isnt really contributing and can actually harm your team if you are contributing to the station, but how would you tell if someone is simply playing a role to gain trust or if they're going "man FUCK this im going back to xyz".(but of course this wouldnt be said out loud because nobody would tell their converting officer that they refuse to assist the efforts).
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #706330

basically I would prefer if my teammates actually helped, but doing nothing is better than making things worse.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #706332

TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:17 pm
dendydoom wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:38 pm there is a pretty clear distinction between the 2
Theres a bit of distinction somewhat but its very muddy because motivation is a big factor in if youre being noob or legally sinking your team because you lost. Killing people in bar who insult narsie getting your cult revealed in minute 9 is a troll thing to do and tanks your teams chances, but technically youre still contributing by attacking noncultists. Going back to medbay or botany to do your job isnt really contributing and can actually harm your team if you are contributing to the station, but how would you tell if someone is simply playing a role to gain trust or if they're going "man FUCK this im going back to xyz".(but of course this wouldnt be said out loud because nobody would tell their converting officer that they refuse to assist the efforts).
we're kinda limited in how we can tell people to play and imo that's ultimately a good thing for the game. i don't want my job to be standing behind people at their keyboards and micromanaging how they should be choosing to engage with ~the sandbox~ and if i can give them the benefit of the doubt then i will when there's no evidence that points to them intentionally trying to harm their team.

generally people who are playing in bad faith won't stand up to very basic questioning on their IC motives. it is always the first question i ask. "what was the IC reason you did x?" then i check their answer against their gameplay to see if it holds up. if it does, then fair, what else should be done about it? they're roleplaying. if it doesn't, then i ask them to do a number of things in future to ensure that they're engaging with the creative space in a positive way and, depending on how egregious it is, maybe note it if i think it'll help to inform other admins in the future. people who don't take that advice to heart and continue to hurt their team for OOC reasons become quite obvious because they will have notes about it and their name will come up in internal discussions a bunch.

ultimately i would like to preserve as much IC driven choice as possible in the game, and not shut any of it off to make way for "optimal" gameplay if i can help it. being too restrictive around how you can play/respond to antags hurts storytelling and lessens the number of cool situations we can explore.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW: