An engineer joins the diplomatic corps

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

An engineer joins the diplomatic corps

Post by EmpressMaia » #706916

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35062

Just do a restart vote if you care that much about getting back to meta station for your super fast department setups and knowing literally every nook and cranny
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: An engineer joins the diplomatic corps

Post by oranges » #706917

mfw players think they can vote their way out of the rules.

maybe you could whip around and have the players vote you out of your ban?
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #706918

oranges wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:36 am mfw players think they can vote their way out of the rules.

maybe you could whip around and have the players vote you out of your ban?
I feel bad for our mappers with how much capital G Gamers fuss about how a map is sub optimal
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #706919

He could've just built a contained singularity/tesla and it would produce the same result. There is a 100% chance a wizard will exist and rod the field generators.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #706920

Okay but to be fair, Northstar is literally unplayable.

Not "ooooh, I don't like the layout" like people talk about with Birdshot (Birdshot good, btw), it is literally unplayable in that it's performance is so trash that it makes icebox look like a high-performance map.

Anyway, what rule is he even accused of breaking here?
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #706921

You know, in TTRPGs (and I guess any other group activity but I'm not in a band or anything so idk) there are two kinds of players. They branch out into more different ones, but it's always two different ones. People who are there to make fun for themselves, and people who are there to make fun for everyone else.

The latter is always better than the former 'cos if everyone is focused on making the game better for other people, they are invariably gonna have a better experience since someone is looking out for them having a good time. The former is always forms a bouquet of dicks. Usually you have a mix of both and the group ends up having "This guy" and "That guy".
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:55 am Okay but to be fair, Northstar is literally unplayable.
So people who rolled antag should just sit on their hands and do a big :T face 'cos the banned guy is a little baby and had like 4 of his metafriends say "yeah delam that shit"? 'cos that'll make maintainers want to keep the map in rotation HARDER, you know.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #706923

conrad wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:14 am
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:55 am Okay but to be fair, Northstar is literally unplayable.
So people who rolled antag should just sit on their hands and do a big :T face 'cos the banned guy is a little baby and had like 4 of his metafriends say "yeah delam that shit"? 'cos that'll make maintainers want to keep the map in rotation HARDER, you know.
Northstar map layout good

Northstar performance bad
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #706924

Not "ooooh, I don't like the layout" like people talk about with Birdshot (Birdshot good, btw), it is literally unplayable in that it's performance is so trash that it makes icebox look like a high-performance map.

Multi-z levels were a mistake. I've had like, two good interactions ever from a map being multi-z level. One of which was when science made a fucky wucky with an explosion and a bunch of debris and a dead scientist came tumbling down into the northstar cargo bay, which was funny. The rest are just "blob/spiders/xenos destroyed all the stairs" I like Northstar when it's like, 40-50 pop but 60-80 pop chugs hard and sub-40 pop it has the same issues of tram of "big map, too few players"

I like Icebox despite it being a z-level map because for 90% of the time, the z-level nature of the map is basically unnoticeable. That is, until the blob sets up in icebox atmos or speedruns destroying all the ladders and stairs AGAIN.

Z-levels conceptually are cool, in reality it just leads to frustration trying to navigate the map and cheap moves like sniping all the stairs or constantly running up and down the stairs to avoid being hit by melee.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #706925

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:22 am
conrad wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:14 am
Northstar map layout good

Northstar performance bad
Just change some settings then.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #706926

If you perform real badly on Ns you can lower your parallax
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #706930

Good argument by the admeme. 12/48 vote participants is not even close to a quorum if we really want to go ham on the "democratic" take. 1/6 of the server agreeing to a singulo isn't a good reason to round-end delam the shift by a non-antag.

I still think it would be different if it were lowpop and 8 or 9/10 living players agreed to it, though.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #706932

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:07 am Good argument by the admeme. 12/48 vote participants is not even close to a quorum if we really want to go ham on the "democratic" take. 1/6 of the server agreeing to a singulo isn't a good reason to round-end delam the shift by a non-antag.

I still think it would be different if it were lowpop and 8 or 9/10 living players agreed to it, though.
NorthStar is never chosen on lowpop and the performance is partly due to the server pop anyway.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #706933

runs on my machine :D
respect (let him do his thing)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #706934

It's a Rule 1. There is this ruling here that includes "I don't like this map" as a flimsy reason to end the round early; viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30481&p=623669#p623669
In this instance, it is about having the AI force a shuttle call. In the instance of this player, he has created a station wide disaster to force a shuttle call. If one of these is not acceptable, why would you think potentially killing multiple people and causing station wide destruction as a nonantag is going to be seen as an acceptable alternative?
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #706935

The only part I disagree with Isratosh's answer is him giving the guy a third chance. I would not give someone getting Permabanned for roughly the same reason in such a short amount of time a "come back in 6 months" deal.

Very generous of him fr. Damn good deal.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #706942

Northstar good (I need to play it more actually)

The only thing that kills it for me is there not being Star Trek-esque uniforms from roundstart. After such an impossible feat of a map you can't pull that off? C'mon now.

0/10

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #706943

They tried, it got blocked by headcoders.
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #706944

Agux909 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:01 pm Northstar good (I need to play it more actually)

The only thing that kills it for me is there not being Star Trek-esque uniforms from roundstart. After such an impossible feat of a map you can't pull that off? C'mon now.

0/10
I forgot exactly where they are, but I've seen some near the command area I think.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #706946

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:21 pm They tried, it got blocked by headcoders.
I was of course jesting, and also fooling myself, hoping it was merely one of those quirky, bullshit engine limitations tg code has sometimes, out of anyone's control. Anything but such jaded, undue and pointless behavior towards creativity and fun.

I have to admit I am very naive, oftentimes.

Back to the peanut, screw this guy. Long live Northstar.

warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #706947

Creating a Singulo is the single most cool thing you can ever do, but doing it because you don't like the map is lame.
This was a Karmically neutral act.
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #706948

lame engineering strat: go singulo to end the round because you don't like the map

cool engineering strat: rally your department to make a tesla engine on a BYOS so that when it invariably gets loose it's a) cool as hell and b) everyone helped make it and c) the round already lasted an hour

this is how you rule 0 all the admins away and get picked up to be a sybil admin (apply to be a sybil admin)
Spoiler:

Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #706949

I don't know what's up with the performance. I was blown away in April with 512 getting tested and the North Star running incredibly well (even on my last shitty PC) and now it feels like performance has tanked and maptick is all the way up.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #706950

>I was just following the will of the people

I too, am a fellow enjoyer of the public trust lawset
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #706951

AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #706953

the rule where you cant delam the sm because you dont like the map
i normally defend the appealer but idk what their defense is here
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #706966

Scriptis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:02 pm this is how you rule 0 all the admins away and get picked up to be a sybil admin (apply to be a sybil admin)
Only if it comes with mental health care
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #706978

Scriptis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:02 pm lame engineering strat: go singulo to end the round because you don't like the map

cool engineering strat: rally your department to make a tesla engine on a BYOS so that when it invariably gets loose it's a) cool as hell and b) everyone helped make it and c) the round already lasted an hour

this is how you rule 0 all the admins away and get picked up to be a sybil admin (apply to be a sybil admin)
Sadly the tesla would get spaced on shittle launch.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #706979

players are not entitled to manipulate the round and try to end it for OOC reasons because they don't like x or y element. you either participate or don't.

the game has integral elements that are intended to be obstacles or to frustrate you and trip you up. if you can't take that in your stride and handle it with style then you're probably playing the wrong game.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #706988

I think northstar is pretty and nice
the only reason people dont like it (besides having shit computers, in which case shrimply stop playing ss13 noob) is because its new and they dont know where everything is. give it time fellers....
► Show Spoiler
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #706993

I have a powerful gaming PC and Northstar still lags the shit out of my game. That being said, I think its a fine map, its Birdshot that blatantly sucks and should be removed (again).
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #706996

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:25 pm I have a powerful gaming PC and Northstar still lags the shit out of my game. That being said, I think its a fine map, its Birdshot that blatantly sucks and should be removed (again).
haha no guys see it’s funny that it’s a shit map that’s so funny bro please don’t look at how birdshot only gets selected 90% of the time when someone does a map vote in the middle of something so people miss the notification noise haha and the other 10% of the time is because it’s the middle of the night and ten people are on haha so funni Xd oh look even the shuttle is shitty haha so epic

I miss Kilo and I wasn’t even a big fan of Kilo. IIRC the reason birdshot was added and kilo was removed was because no one wanted to maintain kilo

The only fun I ever had on birdshot is when atoms was fucked so all the windows imploded on the station and when the shuttle docked it imploded as well.
Last edited by RedBaronFlyer on Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #706997

If northstar lags the shit out of your game (like LAG) you should lower paralax, it can also be due to normal factors (high atmos td, slow internet, etc). The issue also most likely stems from a general increase in maptick, and gets worse at higher playercounts (to northstars detriment since its a highpop map).
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #706998

TheRex9001 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:37 pm If northstar lags the shit out of your game (like LAG) you should lower paralax, it can also be due to normal factors (high atmos td, slow internet, etc). The issue also most likely stems from a general increase in maptick, and gets worse at higher playercounts (to northstars detriment since its a highpop map).
My game doesn’t lag but the server time dilation usually sits at like 30% if it’s 60-80 people on Northstar. The lag spike that happens 5-10 second after shift start is way worse on Northstar as well.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #706999

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:38 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:37 pm If northstar lags the shit out of your game (like LAG) you should lower paralax, it can also be due to normal factors (high atmos td, slow internet, etc). The issue also most likely stems from a general increase in maptick, and gets worse at higher playercounts (to northstars detriment since its a highpop map).
My game doesn’t lag but the server time dilation usually sits at like 30% if it’s 60-80 people on Northstar. The lag spike that happens 5-10 second after shift start is way worse on Northstar as well.
Odd, Terry pulls around 9-17% on 70-90, at least from what I've seen in games.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #707000

ngl i like birdshot and it's not because it makes other people miserable. i like it because it reminds me of the classiqué (italian pinched fingers emoji) ss13 on a space station designed by someone who did not ever think it would have more than 10 people with no bad intentions bumbling around playing it. i love the game in its current form, but we are streamlined, advanced, faster, stronger, the pinnacle of highly trained dweebs on an overflowing space station of other shellshocked mfs conditioned to violence. our maps are designed to accommodate this. it is nice to see a little bit of the old boomer dna of the game's design mixed in with this new hardcore rgb keyboard modern iteration of the game.

i'll always rep maps that try to do something goofy or experimental. metastation is my favourite map, but only because it's the blank canvas, vanilla baseline experience that you can always jump into. we need to let people get weird with that formula and try to be open to it.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707001

I like meta because it has literally been polished for almost 10 years now and has everything anyone in any role would ever want
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707002

When metastation was added ERP was still allowed
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #707003

Cheshify wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:04 pm I don't know what's up with the performance. I was blown away in April with 512 getting tested and the North Star running incredibly well (even on my last shitty PC) and now it feels like performance has tanked and maptick is all the way up.
It's nothing to do with your map and it's something we are aware of, people here are not qualified to determine what is or is not the cause of performance issues and in this case are allowing their biases to show through.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707004

oranges wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:24 pm It's nothing to do with your map and it's something we are aware of
Oranges is downloading massive amounts of MILF porn onto official tgstation servers, mainly terry for some reason
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #707005

I dont knwo if it counts as milf porn if i'm old enough to just date them normally though.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707006

Oranges is a DILF?? No way
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #707010

dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:53 pm i'll always rep maps that try to do something goofy or experimental.
I mean, considering Birdshot has already been on rotation before and removed for being a bad map, I wouldn't personally deem it experimental. It's been tried before and it sucked, so I don't see how making minimal changes and shoving it back in really does anything. To nobody's surprise, Birdboat sucked and Birdshot still sucks too.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #707019

oranges wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:24 pm
Cheshify wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:04 pm I don't know what's up with the performance. I was blown away in April with 512 getting tested and the North Star running incredibly well (even on my last shitty PC) and now it feels like performance has tanked and maptick is all the way up.
It's nothing to do with your map and it's something we are aware of, people here are not qualified to determine what is or is not the cause of performance issues and in this case are allowing their biases to show through.
Thanks for the good response Oranges. I do think people will see an issue and just attribute it to something random as a scapegoat/excuse for them to hate a project.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #707021

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:33 pm
Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:25 pm I have a powerful gaming PC and Northstar still lags the shit out of my game. That being said, I think its a f
The map author for birdshot was active (iirc they went inactive right after it was merged though)
Making stuff up
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #707024

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:00 pm
dendydoom wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:53 pm i'll always rep maps that try to do something goofy or experimental.
I mean, considering Birdshot has already been on rotation before and removed for being a bad map, I wouldn't personally deem it experimental. It's been tried before and it sucked, so I don't see how making minimal changes and shoving it back in really does anything. To nobody's surprise, Birdboat sucked and Birdshot still sucks too.
You're thinking of Birdboat, which is a completely different map to Birdshot. Birdshot is merely inspired by Birdboat.
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #707027

Rageguy505 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:22 am
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:33 pm
Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:25 pm I have a powerful gaming PC and Northstar still lags the shit out of my game. That being said, I think its a f
The map author for birdshot was active (iirc they went inactive right after it was merged though)
Making stuff up
Ah, my bad then.
zergking
Byond Username: Zergking

Post by zergking » #707031

The virgin "NOOOO NOOO I WANT ANOTHER FUCKING BOX SHAPED MAP GIVE IT TO ME OR I'M GOING TO DELAM" virgins vs the chad "God I love unique maps with cool layouts" debate seems to have resulted in another loss for the virgins. Northstar and birdshot haters stay mad~
Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #707035

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:41 am You're thinking of Birdboat, which is a completely different map to Birdshot. Birdshot is merely inspired by Birdboat.
Birdshot is a renovated version of Birdboat, it shares an extremely similar layout to the point where I just consider it an updated version of the map. This layout inheritance is also what absolutely makes Birdshot suck, because while I can appreciate a metal deathtrap, a metal deathtrap where I can't find literally anything just sucks to play on.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #707037

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:28 am
NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:41 am You're thinking of Birdboat, which is a completely different map to Birdshot. Birdshot is merely inspired by Birdboat.
Birdshot is a renovated version of Birdboat, it shares an extremely similar layout to the point where I just consider it an updated version of the map. This layout inheritance is also what absolutely makes Birdshot suck, because while I can appreciate a metal deathtrap, a metal deathtrap where I can't find literally anything just sucks to play on.
I do not think that is true at all, and looking at either map side by side will tell you that immediately. The map is almost four times the size of birdboat, and has almost none of the features of the first map remaining. Some loosely inspired parts, but not complete copies. It has the more modern mapping considerations and improvements for aesthetic.

The general location of the departments are somewhat faithful in most cases, but there is so much more in between and across the station as a whole, and the layout of those departments in of themselves, you can't really call them the same map whatsoever. You could not find anything on Birdshot by attempting to use Birdboat as a reference, as an example.

Birdboat's map

Birdshot's map
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #707053

New bad old good, bring back Kilo, no, scratch that, bring back Pubby, no, scratch that, bring back [ad infinitum].

For real though, I miss Pubby.