player polls to approve resprites

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

player polls to approve resprites

Post by cocothegogo » #707170

thread title. a lot of resprites were unneeded, unwanted and are just plain ugly. please allow any PR for sprite to auto generate a poll and let the community decide. yes I'm coping
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Re: player polls to approve resprites

Post by kinnebian » #707171

whats the latest cope
respect (let him do his thing)
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #707172

really dont like the cargo uniform resprite
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #707174

Why not put this in like code feedback or something
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #707176

Honestly in my opinion there is a clear degradation in a lot of sprite quality going on currently because someone doesn't seem to understand that clarity of what it shows is more important than trying to ram every little detail into a sprite.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #707177

This will never happen
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #707179

In my opinion sprites have gotten better, look at the id card resprite, toolbelt resprite and sodacans resprite
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #707182

Wouldn't this just drag development to a standstill and have a large number of resprites just get dragged through the dirt with even more player outrage when spritetainers (who are trying to make a more uniform style for TG) merge things they want regardless because the community doesn't know what they actually want.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #707187

No, mald
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #707189

Cheshify wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:41 pm Wouldn't this just drag development to a standstill and have a large number of resprites just get dragged through the dirt with even more player outrage when spritetainers (who are trying to make a more uniform style for TG) merge things they want regardless because the community doesn't know what they actually want.
The community doesn't know what they want? There have been several PR's with sprites that had a near unanimous reaction from the community.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #707191

just pay a spriter you like to do it better than the current sprites
Spoiler:

Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #707197

the new ids look like someone puked a birthday party all over them
like why are there so many people at this party, i dont even know all these people
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #707198

i appreciate the work coders do but god damn chill on the wing dings and ding dongs a bit
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #707203

Un-needed un-wanted and just plain ugly pretty much sums up half of ss13 content though.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707205

players should unionize against the coder cabal just like the minecraft community but kinda because of the reverse reasoning
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #707206

I just don't like the cargo resprites. The old uniforms were much better in terms of what they were (space amazon, not security guards)
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #707209

we're all autistic and accepting change is impossible it's why the project is structured this way

there are still mfs who think intents are better than combat mode and we should not respect or accept their opinions
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #707210

I just want them to explain themselves more clearly and not breakdown into tears running to their hugbox the moment the "white names" disagree.
It would also help dispel the myth of how coders don't care what players think if spriters ever got told no that wasn't just them being told to do some revisions and have it merged once the heat dies down.
Also bring back mosins I'm still pissed off about that.
Image Image
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #707217

taylor swift fans union
respect (let him do his thing)
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #707218

nothing in the codebase is permanent, the new sprites you dont like will be replaced by different ones eventually
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707283

kinnebian wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:02 pm taylor swift fans union
You mean just a bunch of Marxists?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707285

Jacquerel wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:04 pm nothing in the codebase is permanent, the new sprites you dont like will be replaced by different ones eventually
When you code it
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #707288

I like the ID card change. When I look at the cap ID now I feel so powerful idk why it's so glorious. It looks nice and 3D and official. It also makes way more sense, it has a little connector at the bottom for your PDA! Big fan of the changes yes.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #707306

Boot wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:35 pm I just want them to explain themselves more clearly and not breakdown into tears running to their hugbox the moment the "white names" disagree.
It would also help dispel the myth of how coders don't care what players think if spriters ever got told no that wasn't just them being told to do some revisions and have it merged once the heat dies down.
I will note here, that spriters are often told to make revisions, either in the pr or on discord, the mosin pr went through several revisions, so did the cargo one, so did the ID one, so does nearly every single sprite pr.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #707312

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:07 pm
Boot wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:35 pm I just want them to explain themselves more clearly and not breakdown into tears running to their hugbox the moment the "white names" disagree.
I will note here, that spriters are often told to make revisions, either in the pr or on discord, the mosin pr went through several revisions, so did the cargo one, so did the ID one, so does nearly every single sprite pr.
What's the point of revisions if they ignore the actual major points anyway?
Boot

Post by Boot » #707317

I understand that and didn't mean to imply that they post their first draft or something. More so that it seems pretty rare to see a spriter get told no and if there is any heat to just go for "revisions"(wink wink) until the heat dies down. However the process of them getting turned down might happen a lot more in spriter club so the only ones that I see are the ones already vetted.
Image Image
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #707323

Boot wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:30 pm
I understand that and didn't mean to imply that they post their first draft or something. More so that it seems pretty rare to see a spriter get told no and if there is any heat to just go for "revisions"(wink wink) until the heat dies down. However the process of them getting turned down might happen a lot more in spriter club so the only ones that I see are the ones already vetted.
If you mean something like closing and then opening the pr, its because its just stupid. Most code prs also go through a lot of revisions whilst the pr is open (reviews and all that jazz)
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #707326

CPTANT wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:47 pm
What's the point of revisions if they ignore the actual major points anyway?
They would revise it if a maintainer told them to, like again most prs. Sprite feedback is usually non-constructive and the stuff that is can be ignored if the pr creator feels like it clashes with their design vision. Forcing people to abide by feedback isnt something that is done and since the codebase is open source everyone can just directly apply their feedback if it hasnt been used for a revision.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #707329

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:00 pm
They would revise it if a maintainer told them to, like again most prs. Sprite feedback is usually non-constructive and the stuff that is can be ignored if the pr creator feels like it clashes with their design vision. Forcing people to abide by feedback isnt something that is done and since the codebase is open source everyone can just directly apply their feedback if it hasnt been used for a revision.
Meh, that's just diminutive of everyone's feedback. If we once again take the Mosin PR there were plenty of people explaining why the resprite was a bad idea.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #707331

CPTANT wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:08 pm
TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:00 pm
Meh, that's just diminutive of everyone's feedback. If we once again take the Mosin PR there were plenty of people explaining why the resprite was a bad idea.
Clearly the pr creator didnt agree, and neither did the maintainers. Personally I would’ve liked them to change the russian crate to something else since its a new gun.
Boot

Post by Boot » #707335

TheRex9001 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:55 pm
Boot wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:30 pm
If you mean something like closing and then opening the pr, its because its just stupid. Most code prs also go through a lot of revisions whilst the pr is open (reviews and all that jazz)
That's kinda my point. If you want something changed sprite-wise odds are it's gonna get slammed on through regardless of what the players say. Most people arn't going to see the talks that happen in spriteclub but they will see the pr.
Image Image
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #707377

the new new new new new id sprites look kinda bad and weird, but nobody ever sees ID sprites except at the HOPline because they spend all round in PDAs anyway so its a sprite thats literally not worth arguing over.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #707401

at least the new emag looks cool so i guess it makes up for all the other cards looking like chonky blocks now
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #707403

CPTANT wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:08 pm Meh, that's just diminutive of everyone's feedback. If we once again take the Mosin PR there were plenty of people explaining why the resprite was a bad idea.
Your feedback is important in so far as it convinces the maintainers of something. If it doesn't do that, then we do not care.
The codebase is not a democracy. We value feedback as an opportunity to gain differing viewpoints and cover things we don't have full knowledge on, but you are not owed control over the project.
Again, feedback is only important because it provides insight that convinces. We do be an autocracy. This goes for every pr, it's just sprite prs have a LOT of people who have opinions, because it's very easy to have an opinion about art.

We have spritetainers because we want a (more) consistent artistic direction then "lemon the backend guy thought the drone sprites were funny". Art It is subjective, and it is their subjective opinion that is important.
You can try and change that opinion, but players as a mass are not owed control over it. You'll get over it when sec is made pink in 2 months, and then blue in 3, I promise.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #707413

Pink sec 2023 real?
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707415

Your opinion is important unless we don't care
(I'm playing devils advocate, I learned to trust our coders)
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #707420

the new id cards look like chocolate bars and i want to eat them
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #707445

The thing about feedback is that if people give it, it is read and understood, and no change is made as a result then people go "well that was pointless" even if in other circumstances it could have come up with a change. Feedback provides an opportunity for things to be different but not a guarantee, it's an attempt at persuasion and nothing more.
An issue which comes up specifically with sprite PRs is that often that feedback is "I disagree with the core concept of your idea". When the only compromise between the positions is "don't do the thing you want to do" then your feedback can only be acted upon by not doing it. As the person making the change obviously believes the change is a good idea, this is unlikely to end up with a result which satisfies the person who does not like it.
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #707460

Crates are still horrible, I know maintainers can't be trusted simple because they allowed that resprite to go through. Especially since there were some clique suspicions.
But I also know there is nothing I can do about it.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #707477

Voting for resprites is a bad idea but at the same time I feel like it wouldn't hurt if spritetainers could ask someone to make their resprite look a little less... different than everything else in the game. Cargo looked fucking awful after the resprite but now they just look bad and too tacticool because someone made the original sprite author's work fit more in line with current TG sprites. Oh, and they also had to make coats, berets, etc. brown because the original sprite author couldn't be assed to do that, but it got merged regardless. A sprite can look okay on its own but just not work on TG due to the zoomed-out nature of SS13 or how each server has a slightly different artstyle (compare TG to goonstation, or TG to Skyrat for instance)

We already have this for codetainers asking someone to redo code to perform better or to follow newer coding standards. I get that sprites are way more subjective than code because there is a way to make code better, but at the same time it comes across like there are absolutely no standards for sprite PRs.

The new IDs look neat and I love the little thing that you'd use to pull your ID out of a PDA but at the same time, some of the ID sprites are way too bright compared to everything else.

I swear to God, if I have to explain that TG does have an artstyle even if it doesn't have an art style guide, I am going to be very disappointed.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #707478

multiple people made crate improvement PRs and pretty much the only reason they weren't merged is that none of those people actually finished them
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #707526

This topic:

Making the coders subject to player/admin opinions is how you lose your coding team. See: Baystation

It is well-known in the indie scene that the coder follows their own interest and can only be swayed by money.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #707541

RaveRadbury wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:46 am This topic:

Making the coders subject to player/admin opinions is how you lose your coding team. See: Baystation

It is well-known in the indie scene that the coder follows their own interest and can only be swayed by money.
Sides taken off and in orbit.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #707547

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:11 pm I swear to God, if I have to explain that TG does have an artstyle even if it doesn't have an art style guide, I am going to be very disappointed.
the fact everything looked a certain way when you started playing the game does not mean tgstation has an artstyle.

If we were to follow your argument to it's logical endpoint, the game would look as it did in the 2000's

The only thing you're seeing is that there were like two to three spriters maximum before 2016/2017, so everything looked reasonably consistent because it was made by the same person.
Boot

Post by Boot » #707549

You see Orange is free of this bias because he's never actually played the game before so he can't be nostalgic.
Image Image
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #707553

The difference is that the sprites i'm nostalgic about look like fucking dog shit and i'm mature enough to recognise that and not try to hold up new sprites because I personally dont like how they look.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707554

RaveRadbury wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:46 am This topic:

Oh yeah? I'm not buying tgstation anymore then
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #707583

oranges wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:53 am
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:11 pm I swear to God, if I have to explain that TG does have an artstyle even if it doesn't have an art style guide, I am going to be very disappointed.
the fact everything looked a certain way when you started playing the game does not mean tgstation has an artstyle.

If we were to follow your argument to it's logical endpoint, the game would look as it did in the 2000's

The only thing you're seeing is that there were like two to three spriters maximum before 2016/2017, so everything looked reasonably consistent because it was made by the same person.
no way dude 20 year old programmer art is totally the best look for the game
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #707967

Lol what is that armor vest holy shit.

Edit: OH WAIT THAT IS A BACKPACK
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #707971

programmer art is the best kind of art
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)