Nonhuman heads of staff, yay or nay?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Nonhuman heads of staff, yay or nay?

Post by TheLoLSwat » #707212

Title. This term is probably the one where it finally happens but what are your thoughts on this topic? Do YOU support nonhuman heads of staff? Why??
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Re: Nonhuman heads of staff, yay or nay?

Post by GPeckman » #707213

It would be cool to have the option. It would create an interesting dynamic with the silicons for the acting captain to be nonhuman.
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #707214

100% no and if it does get slammed through I'll start rolling human just to law 2 annoy them. QM shouldn't be a head either infact just remove nonhuman from being secoffs too.
Image Image
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #707215

no. i'm still in utter disbelief that QM became a head.

NT is an apathetic, cold and cruel organization. they don't respect non-human rights and it adds an interesting element to playing a non-human.

i personally don't like overt thinly veiled racism masquerading as "speciesism" because it's low effort but i think there is a lot of compelling depth to the asymmetric nature of humans having more rights and privileges than non-humans in a science fiction setting.

also, we'd have to make asimov give the same protections to non-humans unless the AI just decides to bolt and kill the lizard captain the moment they try to stop a human antag

it just feels like it would be sanding the sharp edges off the setting and will make it a lot less compelling in that regard. and i say this as someone who only plays a non-human static so i don't benefit from any of this.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #707219

Nahh, they won't do it. It goes against the ss13 society too hard
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #707220

i dont have a strong opinion either way but ive seen people suggest stuff like "ce should be open to plasmamen specifically because that would be something nt would do for the sake of convenience" and im more open to that idea of very selective nonhuman heads

get someone to write a lore dissertation on how moth society revolutionized healthcare by nibbling all the sutures and let moths be cmo or something idk
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #707221

Yesterday due to acting captains and promotions we had a lizard captain, moth CE, cat CMO, and a moth RD.
Then a human captain joined and there was a power struggle but we had to leave due to a bad power sink before anything could come of it.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707223

No
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #707224

non human CE and CMO would be cool add it please
JupiterJaeden
Byond Username: JupiterJaeden

Post by JupiterJaeden » #707225

Yes, non-human heads would be cool and just give people more options to customize their characters. I don't think there would be any issue with either asimov being expanded to include non-humans or crewsimov being the default. But I also think it would be fine for asimov to stay the way it is and still have non-human command. If you decide to play non-human command in that case you would just be accepting the risk of the AI fucking with/killing you, which is already how it works for QMs and non-human security, or really any non-human crew.

Asimov is soul and I think it's really cool that isaac asimov's sci-fi writings have become a part of this game, but humans don't NEED special asimov protections/command benefits imo, they're already pretty much the "best" race simply by virtue of not having any major downsides. I'd still like to see some kind of version of asimov as the default lawset though.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #707226

NT's human supremacy is one of the few lore threads we can actually use

keep heads pure
Weston Echard on Sybil
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #707234

It's ALWAYS correct to arrest the qm for "trespassing" into bridge because he's not a real head. Having human supremacy is unique and awesome.
► Show Spoiler
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #707236

No. There are servers that cater to that experience. We are not one of them, nor should we ever be. Doubt the headmins would consider it.

conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #707238

Absolutely not. No geckos, no space pussy, no bungus, no lamps. Only humans.

You start with the fleshless and the animals and the lamps and next you're asking if it's ok for AI to be command.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
warbluke

Post by warbluke » #707239

I'm actually more okay with AI being command than Lizards. Has anyone done a captain AI round?
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #707240

I'm 50/50 either way honestly. I think it would be neat but I also realize that it would throw out interesting roleplay potential.

Granted, 95% of the time the only speciesism I see is just "I hate liggers" tier stuff though.

If it ever were to go through I'd probably just say "Oh, neat" and carry on. I guess that's because I play as a human and I don't like command roles so I'm as far away from having any stakes in this as I can be while still playing SS13.
Last edited by RedBaronFlyer on Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
conrad

Post by conrad » #707242

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:52 am I'm 50/50 either way honestly. I think it would be neat but I also realize that it would throw out interesting roleplay potential.

Granted, 95% of the time the only speciesism I see is just "I hate liggers" tier stuff though.
I need to play Manuel more, then.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #707243

conrad wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:55 am
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:52 am I'm 50/50 either way honestly. I think it would be neat but I also realize that it would throw out interesting roleplay potential.

I need to play Manuel more, then.
We occasionally have people who make it their sole personality trait to be speciesist but it usually gets beat out of them for lack of a better word. (often quite literally)

The highlight by far was when a cargo tech kept rambling on about lizards using the word ligger and whatnot and suddenly three lizards came barging in, one stunprods the guy, the other ties him up with zipties, then they took turns head-bashing him into a table I set up by the cargo bay cargo console where I put the stamps and a folder for the reqi forms. They did it for a solid 45 seconds, but to be fair the guy was being annoying.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #707247

warbluke wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:48 am I'm actually more okay with AI being command than Lizards. Has anyone done a captain AI round?
I was once promoted to captain as AI by the prior captain who was going AFK. I sat in a meeting (as a hologram) with the HoP, as my assistant, and the QM, who wanted Cargonia as an independent state. We came to the agreement that Cargonia would return, or pay for, any equipment that they had obtained from the rest of the station, and that a wall with a border checkpoint would be constructed. Unfortunately, before we could set up the border, a Lone Ops spawned and silently activated the nuke.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #707249

Imagine making an opinion thread with a poll. Also No.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #707252

Let people play how they wanna play
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #707257

naw, keeps some flavor.

nobody needs captain xemo.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #707259

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:35 am naw, keeps some flavor.

nobody needs captain xemo.
Counterpoint

You did this once and it ruled
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
COwlbear
Byond Username: Cowboy Owlbear

Post by COwlbear » #707263

I think it'd be interesting to see non-human, non-captain heads of staff (possibly limited by department), but to keep on Asimov as the default. Yes, this means non-human command don't enjoy AI protections unless someone starts getting wacky with the lawsets, but that's part of the fun of it, isn't it? NT strikes me as a company that would gleefully talk up how progressive they're being while leaving every possible microaggression intact to remind the rank and file who's really in charge. This allows for people to roleplay characters in positions of authority while still being subject to bureaucratic pains in the ass. CentComm would no doubt be extremely passive-aggressive (or active-aggressive) about it if they think one of the charity hires is getting too mouthy, you know?

I'll note that I mostly run non-human characters who don't run departments, and I don't think I've ever formally invoked a law unless saying "please" over comms counts, so YMMV.
conrad

Post by conrad » #707279

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:57 am We occasionally have people who make it their sole personality trait to be speciesist but it usually gets beat out of them for lack of a better word. (often quite literally)
Oh yeah that's me. I get beaten up, tied up and displayed for all too see. Love the attention. Never used ligger though. It's lazy, uncouth and now gets you valided. Much better to just call them silly lil' names and spray paint their face.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #707281

Having non human heads of staff might mean I will not get CE every round.
Actually that's a good thing. I think it's sometimes nice to be shoved into another role instead. A lot of non human engis/Atmos techs in Manuel are pretty good at it, and deserve to be CE.

As long as there are still lots of humans around.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707284

challenging an unfair and prejudiced culture is part of the roleplay opportunities and rounds where people accept and elevate non-humans to command roles through IC promotions is part of what would be lost if we smoothed it all out
NSFW:
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707286

NO XENOS IN MY COMMAND ROLES.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

conrad

Post by conrad » #707295

Timonk wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:42 am NO XENOS IN MY COMMAND ROLES.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #707296

I don't hate it (especially the concept of it not being a blanket acceptance but something like "Plasmamen can be CE but nothing else") but also I don't care enough to push for it against entrenched culture.
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #707298

Oranges already said ages ago that he'd approve it when I suggested it as a station trait as long as the chance of it rolling was low enough. Any coder can already make this a thing and there is nothing anyone can do to stop this.

I think the only thing it would change is allowing competent players who don't play human to take head roles and having more varied rounds rather than the same four people taking the role. The people clutching their pearls and crying "wahh m-my l-lore" can just handle it IC the same way some people still bully the QM for pretending to be a head.
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #707313

We need more command players
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Post by Bmon » #707314

dendydoom wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:44 pm no. i'm still in utter disbelief that QM became a head.

NT is an apathetic, cold and cruel organization. they don't respect non-human rights and it adds an interesting element to playing a non-human.

i personally don't like overt thinly veiled racism masquerading as "speciesism" because it's low effort but i think there is a lot of compelling depth to the asymmetric nature of humans having more rights and privileges than non-humans in a science fiction setting.
you say this but I swear you've used a non-humans as a centcom commander at least a few times
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707315

Bmon wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:07 pm
dendydoom wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:44 pm no. i'm still in utter disbelief that QM became a head.

you say this but I swear you've used a non-humans as a centcom commander at least a few times
ye this is an oversight on my part cus i'm using my default static when i observe. i should really make a human character for adminning rounds but it never crosses my mind in the moment to do so and when i need to drop in as a commander to do something it's usually on a time crunch.

basically i'm breaking the lore, being a hypocrite and i deserve to be destroyed
NSFW:
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #707316

I'm very torn on this.

Cons:
NT is apathetic to life and doesn't care about people or rights, only profit margins.
It makes nonhumans more unique and builds RP where they can have non-violent conflict with command.
It would be weird with jobs that have technical access to the AI Upload not being allowed to law 2 the AI.
Many believe it's part of ss13's soul.

Pros:
NT is so apathetic that it makes me doubt if they would care about "species superiority" on the frontier.
We have more people willing to play command staff.
Nonhuman heads conflicting with the AI would be good for keeping the AI as a third party faction.
I've seen just as many servers with nonhuman heads.

Yeah I still can't decide.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #707318

No. Play Warden or QM.
help
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #707319

No... Also get rid of felinids.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #707320

Pepper wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:31 pm No. Play Warden or QM.
telling people how to play in a roleplay game :roll:
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #707325

Noo u dont understand my oc donut cant be held down by the confines of the setting they're too quirky and crap u dont understand
dont u dare tell people how to roleplay u bastaard
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #707328

Yes and no. Imo something like plasmaman Ce would make sense but I’m still not sure about it.
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #707330

Capsandi wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:58 pm Noo u dont understand my oc donut cant be held down by the confines of the setting they're too quirky and crap u dont understand
mega bait...
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #707334

warbluke wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:22 pm Yesterday due to acting captains and promotions we had a lizard captain, moth CE, cat CMO, and a moth RD.
Then a human captain joined and there was a power struggle but we had to leave due to a bad power sink before anything could come of it.
And it was super cool BECAUSE that's not the default.
conrad

Post by conrad » #707337

EmpressMaia wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:09 pm
Capsandi wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:58 pm Noo u dont understand my oc donut cant be held down by the confines of the setting they're too quirky and crap u dont understand
mega bait...
It's only bait if you bite it.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707340

im very torn on this:

pros:
-
-
-

cons:
- fucking nonhumans
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #707349

Limitation breeds creativity
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #707356

Timonk wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:28 pm im very torn on this:

pros:
-
-
-

cons:
- fucking nonhumans
Banned for ERP
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #707358

No. I want my Asimov to stay, and if we get non-human heads we will get some people bitching about how we should on crewsimov more then they already do.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
mstachife
Byond Username: Mstachife

Post by mstachife » #707359

No, asimov and it's more interesting when they actually do become a head through other means.
warbluke

Post by warbluke » #707361

Nabski wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:35 pm And it was super cool BECAUSE that's not the default.
People commented on it and went "Hey that's weird" but other than that nothing really came of it. Maybe something cool would have happened if not for the aforementioned power sink and resulting delam.

On Bagil at least it feels like we have nonhuman captains more often than human since the pool of head players is already tiny, and acting captains are the norm most shifts anyway.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #707364

non-human HOS sounds like the worst idea, its bad enough when the warden and officers are nonhumans so the AI completely ignores them.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕