Carthago Delenda Est - Is 2000 years too soon to peanut?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Carthago Delenda Est - Is 2000 years too soon to peanut?

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #707815

viewtopic.php?p=707805#p707805

Least insane politics-containment argument.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Re: Carthago Delenda Est - Is 2000 years too soon to peanut?

Post by conrad » #707822

Polcon is like a flytrap ong
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Gwyn
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Starlord_Gwyn

Post by Gwyn » #707824

Have to say Dorsi's peanut thread titles are always on-point bangers.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #707825

I'm of the opinion that an admin should never take administrative action over a situation they themselves were involved in. Get another, uninvolved admin to look things over.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #707826

GPeckman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:17 pm I'm of the opinion that an admin should never take administrative action over a situation they themselves were involved in. Get another, uninvolved admin to look things over.
Didn't they say that they did just that in the ban appeal, I feel like you should still take admin action BUT you should 100% ask for second opinions first
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #707828

"'Attempted to morally relativize the genociding of children'"

I had a great laugh upon reading this. Thank you for this thread!

With relative regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #707829

GPeckman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:17 pm I'm of the opinion that an admin should never take administrative action over a situation they themselves were involved in. Get another, uninvolved admin to look things over.
That rule generally applies to situations where the admin in question took an action based on someone insulting them. Admins are absolutely allowed to handle issues of bigotry when they crop up, even if they come about from a conversation they're involved in.

Also Intern John has always been kind of an asshole when I've interacted with them. Very quick to anger over even small things. I don't think he's a good fit for our community.
Last edited by Vekter on Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #707831

free him he wrote too many words for them to be wasted

TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #707832

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THEY GOT INTERN JOHN/CENTURION
jimmyl
Byond Username: Jimmyl

Post by jimmyl » #707838

Vekter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:36 pm Also Intern John has always been kind of an asshole when I've interacted with them. Very quick to anger over even small things. I don't think he's a good fit for our community.
projecting fr
ImageImageImage
InternJohn
Byond Username: TheMightyAltroll

Post by InternJohn » #707839

conrad wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:07 pm Polcon is like a flytrap ong
Probably should never have one in game discords, this is the first one I've participated in for a long time and I feel like it's just an 'us vs them' circle jerk even just as a spectator. I mostly just look there for the memes, but I'm in a discord that is pretty well informed on the conflicts so I figured I'd occasionally post updates.

I just got lost in history because I'm autistic about it and love talking about it. I do the same about music, and it's a bad habit I have.
Last edited by InternJohn on Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #707840

Vekter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:36 pm
That rule generally applies to situations where the admin in question took an action based on someone insulting them. Admins are absolutely allowed to handle issues of bigotry when they crop up, even if they come about from a conversation they're involved in.

Also Intern John has always been kind of an asshole when I've interacted with them. Very quick to anger over even small things. I don't think he's a good fit for our community.
I'm aware that it's not outright against the rules, or it probably would've been brought up in the appeal by now. I still think that it's bad optics. If an admin gets into an argument with someone, then bags that person because of things said during the argument, then it'll always look at least a little sketchy.

Edit: Also, I don't think you're in a great position to call other people assholes over things said on discord. I recall you got involved in a disagreement over a recent PR and accused me of throwing fit because I criticized said PR.
LEDDDriver
Byond Username: LEDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #707841

Massive Gwyn L, what the hell?
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #707842

GPeckman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:53 pm I'm aware that it's not outright against the rules, or it probably would've been brought up in the appeal by now. I still think that it's bad optics. If an admin gets into an argument with someone, then bags that person because of things said during the argument, then it'll always look at least a little sketchy.
They checked with other discord jannies before pulling the trigger. It's a problem if you don't do due diligence.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #707843

This is why you don't do polcon kids
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #707844

the dude in the appeal can perhaps find some enjoyment in his historical studies by looking into how historiography works.

the idea of an objective study of history was popularized by leopold von ranke in the 1800s. he had a famous saying: "as it actually was." the current consensus of historians is to mock this saying because it's completely flawed. modern historians recognize that complete objectivity in historical writing is unattainable, given that historians always bring their own perspectives, biases, and interpretations to the sources they work with. to further elaborate:

firstly, history is inherently interpretive. the act of choosing which events and the primary sources that detail those events creates a narrative and subsequently a bias. even if we attempt total neutrality, our own interpretation of primary sources through the lens of social, cultural, political and personal contexts will influence the interpretation.

secondly, in the 1900s postmodernist historians challenged the idea of an objective historical truth. primary sources require interpretation and discussion. all historical accounts are subjective interpretation. there is no singular, objective history.

thirdly, historiography is heavily compelled by moral and ethical dimensions. events involving human rights abuses, genocides etc, are studied with due attention to the moral and ethical complications because to do otherwise is to ignore an important and vital facet of its interpretation that leaves it incomplete. historians understand that time is linear (hopefully) and that things that happened closer to the current day are likely more relevant and relatable to our worldview than things that happened in classical antiquity.

for example, there is mention of the destruction of carthage at the end of the third punic war in 146bc. how do we know what the romans at the time thought of its destruction and the enslavement of its inhabitants? guess what: we have no idea. the primary sources of the events were written by roman elites who expressed views that represented the interests of their class or the official stance, since they would probably have been interested in serving a civic duty.

but using our big brains we can **interpret** these sources to try and find a conclusion. this conclusion is an **interpretation** which holds bias and subjectivity.

cato the elder declared at the senate: "i consider that carthage must be destroyed." his words were recorded by a scribe. from this we can **interpret** that the official stance of rome was that they were fine with destroying carthage since it posed a threat to them. but considering the purpose and motivation for cato's addressing the senate, we can easily realize that this does not account for the personal opinion or feeling of the average roman citizen over the destruction and enslavement of carthage. we can find further evidence of this sort of cultural mindset in literary works of the time through something like the very famous "punica" by roman poet silius italicus. while rome at the time saw carthage as its enemy, punica shows reverence and respect for their combat prowess, and even shows a certain somberness for hannibal, who is shown as deeply committed to his cause and earning the favour of his gods, similarly to the roman's own cultural ideals. is this mournful? is this regretful? i don't know. it's up to your **interpretation** of the source.

we can also consider something like the accounts of polybius, a greek who lived in rome and was close to the scipio family. this access to scipio's accounts and documents allowed him to write his book "histories" which documented the punic wars. directly quoting the text for this one:
"And so was fulfilled the vow that the younger Scipio is said to have made at the time that he left Rome to take command of the expedition. For when, in answer to the customary summons to the gods to favour the undertaking, he had thrown a blazing torch into the sacrifice, he prayed that, if the enterprise were for the good of Rome, Carthage might thus be consumed by the fire."
we can **interpret** this reference to scipio's vow which adds a tone of fate or destiny, which often features in polybius' writings: the belief that certain events were set in motion by earlier choices and were thus inevitable. however, it's worth noting that while polybius describes these events with a sense of tragedy, he doesn't engage in extensive moral reflection or critique the roman actions outright, because the purpose of "histories" was not set out to reflect on ethical concerns or to condemn rome, given his closeness to the scipio family and alignment with rome's interests. the sources used to write "histories" was also taken from polybius's access to scipio's documents and firsthand accounts: a roman bias.

the only source i can provide which seeks to give a detached perspective is from the first AD, where seneca the younger writes in a letter (letter 91 to be precise) to lucilius. they are talking about the topic of mercy, and seneca reflects on the suffering that the carthaginians must have experienced:
"But," you say, "those wars were both righteous and necessary." Yes, as righteous as wars waged by human beings ever can be, but what is necessary is not desirable. We did indeed need to bind the human race under our laws, and this could not be accomplished without war; but even in cases of necessity, I am pained by the tragic events – that a Carthaginian should be led to surrender himself, and after his surrender be put to death, that he should be led to believe that his wife and children would be spared, and after he believed it, should see them slain before his very eyes, that he should be offered terms of surrender and after accepting them, be thrown into chains. I cannot see why that hero, who in the agony of death called himself "The Roman Hannibal," was not granted life and not sent to his native land. For we should have conquered with a noble and merciful spirit those very persons whom we could not have defeated by war."
and also in seneca's "consolation to helvia":
"How many funerals has the ambition of the Roman people celebrated, how many countries has it laid low to the ground, how many cities (among which was even Carthage) has it effaced from the face of the earth?"
here, in private discussion written for no reason other than to have a conversation, serving no political or cultural agenda, we find evidence of regret and mourning the tragedy of the destruction of carthage.

so, in conclusion, even considering all of this, the answer is still "we don't know." we can only recognize the sources available which paint an incomplete picture when you account for the purposes and contexts of the available primary sources and at best make an educated guess. welcome to history.

historians seek to manage bias and personal narratives but it is inevitable to some degree in any interpretation or account of a source. even if you are directly studying a primary source, or more likely an account of a monograph of a hagiography of some dude who probably didn't exist.

source: i am a historian with too much time on my hands and i dont know why i got so into writing this response i don't actually care all that much i just like to write a lot about old shit and this is the only way i can get people to listen to me
Last edited by dendydoom on Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707845

you don't have to read all of that if you don't want to i kind of went into a fugue state and blacked out
NSFW:
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #707846

Lol
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
InternJohn
Byond Username: TheMightyAltroll

Post by InternJohn » #707847

dendydoom wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:28 pm the dude in the appeal can perhaps find some enjoyment in his historical studies by looking into how historiography works.

the idea of an objective study of history was popularized by leopold von ranke in the 1800s. he had a famous saying: "as it actually was." the current consensus of historians is to mock this saying because it's completely flawed. modern historians recognize that complete objectivity in historical writing is unattainable, given that historians always bring their own perspectives, biases, and interpretations to the sources they work with. to further elaborate:

firstly, history is inherently interpretive. the act of choosing which events and the primary sources that detail those events creates a narrative and subsequently a bias. even if we attempt total neutrality, our own interpretation of primary sources through the lens of social, cultural, political and personal contexts will influence the interpretation.

secondly, in the 1900s postmodernist historians challenged the idea of an objective historical truth. primary sources require interpretation and discussion. all historical accounts are subjective interpretation. there is no singular, objective history.

thirdly, historiography is heavily compelled by moral and ethical dimensions. events involving human rights abuses, genocides etc, are studied with due attention to the moral and ethical complications because to do otherwise is to ignore an important and vital facet of its interpretation that leaves it incomplete. historians understand that time is linear (hopefully) and that things that happened closer to the current day are likely more relevant and relatable to our worldview than things that happened in classical antiquity.

for example, there is mention of the destruction of carthage at the end of the third punic war in 146bc. how do we know what the romans at the time thought of its destruction and the enslavement of its inhabitants? guess what: we have no idea. the primary sources of the events were written by roman elites who expressed views that represented the interests of their class or the official stance, since they would probably have been interested in serving a civic duty.

but using our big brains we can **interpret** these sources to try and find a conclusion. this conclusion is an **interpretation** which holds bias and subjectivity.

cato the elder declared at the senate: "i consider that carthage must be destroyed." his words were recorded by a scribe. from this we can **interpret** that the official stance of rome was that they were fine with destroying carthage since it posed a threat to them. but considering the purpose and motivation for cato's addressing the senate, we can easily realize that this does not account for the personal opinion or feeling of the average roman citizen over the destruction and enslavement of carthage. we can find further evidence of this sort of cultural mindset in literary works of the time through something like the very famous "punica" by roman poet silius italicus. while rome at the time saw carthage as its enemy, punica shows reverence and respect for their combat prowess, and even shows a certain somberness for hannibal, who is shown as deeply committed to his cause and earning the favour of his gods, similarly to the roman's own cultural ideals. is this mournful? is this regretful? i don't know. it's up to your **interpretation** of the source.

we can also consider something like the accounts of polybius, a greek who lived in rome and was close to the scipio family. this access to scipio's accounts and documents allowed him to write his book "histories" which documented the punic wars. directly quoting the text for this one:
"And so was fulfilled the vow that the younger Scipio is said to have made at the time that he left Rome to take command of the expedition. For when, in answer to the customary summons to the gods to favour the undertaking, he had thrown a blazing torch into the sacrifice, he prayed that, if the enterprise were for the good of Rome, Carthage might thus be consumed by the fire."
we can **interpret** this reference to scipio's vow which adds a tone of fate or destiny, which often features in polybius' writings: the belief that certain events were set in motion by earlier choices and were thus inevitable. however, it's worth noting that while polybius describes these events with a sense of tragedy, he doesn't engage in extensive moral reflection or critique the roman actions outright, because the purpose of "histories" was not set out to reflect on ethical concerns or to condemn rome, given his closeness to the scipio family and alignment with rome's interests. the sources used to write "histories" was also taken from polybius's access to scipio's documents and firsthand accounts: a roman bias.

the only source i can provide which seeks to give a detached perspective is from the first AD, where seneca the younger writes in a letter (letter 91 to be precise) to lucilius. they are talking about the topic of mercy, and seneca reflects on the suffering that the carthaginians must have experienced:
"But," you say, "those wars were both righteous and necessary." Yes, as righteous as wars waged by human beings ever can be, but what is necessary is not desirable. We did indeed need to bind the human race under our laws, and this could not be accomplished without war; but even in cases of necessity, I am pained by the tragic events – that a Carthaginian should be led to surrender himself, and after his surrender be put to death, that he should be led to believe that his wife and children would be spared, and after he believed it, should see them slain before his very eyes, that he should be offered terms of surrender and after accepting them, be thrown into chains. I cannot see why that hero, who in the agony of death called himself "The Roman Hannibal," was not granted life and not sent to his native land. For we should have conquered with a noble and merciful spirit those very persons whom we could not have defeated by war."
here, in private discussion written for no reason other than to have a conversation, serving no political or cultural agenda, we find evidence of regret and mourning the tragedy of the destruction of carthage.

so, in conclusion, even considering all of this, the answer is still "we don't know." we can only recognize the sources available which paint an incomplete picture when you account for the purposes and contexts of the available primary sources and at best make an educated guess. welcome to history.

historians seek to manage bias and personal narratives but it is inevitable to some degree in any interpretation or account of a source. even if you are directly studying a primary source, or more likely an account of a monograph of a hagiography of some dude who probably didn't exist.

source: i am a historian with too much time on my hands and i dont know why i got so into writing this response i don't actually care all that much i just like to write a lot about old shit and this is the only way i can get people to listen to me
It is interpretive and I remind myself to try and not make absolutes when referring to historical events. For example we can reasonably confirm most of what Gaius Julius Caesar mentions in his commentaries through archaeological evidence in places that he references, and through the scrutiny of other witnesses/opposition during the time (As if he just straight up lied you can be sure there would be a great outrage by his enemies). But even so, it is not all entirely certain, so it must be taken with a grain of salt.

When I do, however, make absolutes it is usually in confidence that I am aware of a precedent which has been set historically, as I have not encountered any other alternative. That said, it's still likely a mistake. I have positive biases towards civilizations I study, and I often tend to have to correct myself to avoid sounding arrogant. The other day I spoke of the Slavic regions as having no real notable history prior to the Migration period and Steppe tribes asserting power in said regions, however I was corrected by someone who lives there who had informed me of a relatively rich tapestry of ancient history that I was unaware of, and could find almost no sources on, as it was almost exclusively in his language.

I found this similar issue when attempting to find sources for things on the Japanese net, not being able to speak Japanese, it is shocking how much more information there is on the Japanese side of the web that is simply **not** accessible due to not being translated.

The Romans were most assuredly not a homogenous people, and they were incredibly similar to our culture in behavior. Some surely supported it, some surely did not. Though the ruling class effectively made it so they had no say in the matter, such as their power in so far as even banning public displays of mourning after the battle of Cannae.

I do not know if it was mournful or not, it is hard to say and I don't think it my place to make that assumption. I do know that the Romans had a very large propaganda campaign against Carthage after its destruction, and they had demonized them afterwards, such as with the accusation of child sacrifice. Though it is unknown if it is propaganda or reality, I can say that Romans tended to exaggerate negatives about their enemies quite often, as we all do.
It indeed rings of lamentable regret, in that a foe of worth and honor is betrayed in word and action. "What is necessary is not desirable". No one, not even the Romans, ever truly wants war.
Yes, I agree that it is extremely important to understand the mindset and ethics of the era, but in order to do so one must also depart from the modern bias of our own world. Greeks practiced pederasty, and for Spartans it was virtually mandatory. How can we, then, examine this society in depth while condemning them all the same? I have always believed that you must view history from a neutral perspective and understand **why** they had felt and thought as they did, otherwise you are merely perpetuating a form of incredible arrogance to deign to judge people with no basis besides your own personal ideologies. A murderer was still a murderer, and thus despicable even in his own time frame, but then what of the slaver? It was accepted at the time, so are we to immediately assume that all slavers were by default morally reprehensible? I choose to try and be as impartial as I can, and put aside my biases if at all possible. To enter into a study with preconceived notions, to quote one of my favorite books, "Invariably leads to creating facts to suit theories, rather than theories to suit facts."

Perhaps that is a mistake, I could not say.
Last edited by InternJohn on Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707848

glad to see your response dude, i think it's great that you have an interest in history and i think you should continue to pursue it, you clearly have a passion for it. there are much better places to get into it than in polcon discord channels!
NSFW:
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #707849

Polcan is too chan adjacent. It's containment for a reason. MSO insists we must have politics in the community, and as a result we have the troll farm and lolcow factory that is polcon shared with the gaming portion of the Discord as a whole.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #707851

dendydoom wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:29 pm you don't have to read all of that if you don't want to i kind of went into a fugue state and blacked out
thanks, i got 3 or 4 sentences in and started sweating
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #707853

my god that appeal hurts my fucking brain

isnt gwen the one that constantly spams gay animals?
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #707854

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:26 pm viewtopic.php?p=707805#p707805

Least insane politics-containment argument.
oh, 10/10 thread name.
Wolfmoy
Byond Username: Wolfmoy

Post by Wolfmoy » #707859

What polcon does to a mfer
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #707862

seth is going to have to double up on the backbreaking labor in the salt mines now, wtf
help
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #707864

dendydoom wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:28 pm lady giving a backstory to her youtube cooking video
dendy please stop doing this
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #707865

Another polconite dead.... my power waxes.....
► Show Spoiler
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #707871

Haha I'm not a headmin so I do not need to read this
Gwyn
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Starlord_Gwyn

Post by Gwyn » #707875

Kendrickorium wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:15 pm my god that appeal hurts my fucking brain

isnt gwen the one that constantly spams gay animals?
No that's the other Gwen
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #707880

Actually, the Discord Terms of Service don't mention anything about genocide. I think they're referring to the Discord Community Guidelines, which state "Do not organize, promote, or support violent extremism. This also includes glorifying violent events or the perpetrators of violent acts, as well as promoting conspiracy theories that could encourage or incite violence against others."
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #707886

Pepper wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:45 pm
kieth4 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:42 pm Why does game activity correlate to someone being a discord jannie
What reason does someone have to loiter around in the community if they don't actively participate in it
They deal with discord shit from the sound of it
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #707888

I really feel bad for Intern John, as he sort of reminds me of myself. You can obviously tell he loves history, and perhaps his understanding of the tragedy through a historical and comparative lens to Roman History is a sort of coping mechanism, to try and understand the current events by comparing to long past events, that brutality happened so much back then. The amount of genocides or attempted genocides in history is too many.

However, people who are more worried about coping about the tragedy in other ways see it in a more... Not historial perspective. Focused on the thing that actually happened, instead of historical objectivism and that countries act selfishly and to extremes to protect their own interests. The two clashed, communication failed entirely because Gwyn did not understand John's analytical viewpoint and assumed he was somehow promoting violence instead of just saying "Genocides and Slaughters happen quite a lot in history, and, if you look at it from, not my moral viewpoint, but a extremely utilitarianist viewpoint countries have benefited from the suffering and devestation of others." And instead, Gwyn reacts with a loaded question about morals unrelated to what John is trying to say instead of simlpy asking for clarification of what John actually thinks about the event under the assumption John is a bad actor. John's failure to read the room to not perform historical analysis on a tragedy 1-2 days after it just started in polcon of all places wasnt very smart either, however, but from the thread I dont see any actual support of genocides or terrorism so like...

Unban John please? He's not a bad person, really, and struggling with common sense in regards to sensitive topics is not exactly a valid ban reason.

As bad as today is, it was worse before, at least in terms of raw relative body count.

Also, I get the sense that Intern John was uncomfortable with the topic and questions, and didn't want to discuss them, which was then taken by guilt when he refused to answer the questions given to him.

He did not want to talk about ethics or morals in polcon, but the conversation was forced upon him in his historical analysis, and his continued ignoring of the questions was not a sign of guilt but rather a refusal to speak of this. In addition, instead of a request by an admin to stop speaking about the current topic, instead Gwyn resorts straight to banning him entirely over refusing to answer a question about morality. Just because you ask someone "Do you think murdering an entire ethnicity of children is moral or not?" And they refuse to address your Yes/No question (Which is a logical fallacy in debate, as it assumes the choices stated by the author are the only ones that exist, or generally constrains the scope of discussion to force a point.), that does not mean they do agree with such a thing. It probably seemed like that in the moment, but the entire time Intern John has iterated that he did not want to debate the morality of the situation, so it makes sense he ignores the question entirely.

For my last point, it is not binary either. The Palestine-Israeli conflict is incredibly nuanced like every war in history, ever. There often isn't a right side. Often, there are sides that are "less evil or more right than others." Was it good that the Conquistadors conquered the Aztecs regularly committing human sacrifice? Its a loaded question, as you can't really answer it from an objective position from how I asked it.

Edit: Image

Ban reason was indeed for avoiding answering a question when he was trying to talk about other things.
Last edited by Redrover1760 on Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707891

holy shit
medicated sinful post
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #707892

wheres the bingo board
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #707894

BlueMemesauce wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:27 pm Actually, the Discord Terms of Service don't mention anything about genocide. I think they're referring to the Discord Community Guidelines, which state "Do not organize, promote, or support violent extremism. This also includes glorifying violent events or the perpetrators of violent acts, as well as promoting conspiracy theories that could encourage or incite violence against others."
Pretty shre breaking community guidelines also breaks ToS, so it doesn't mayyer.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707900

InternJohn wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:38 pm
Yes, I agree that it is extremely important to understand the mindset and ethics of the era, but in order to do so one must also depart from the modern bias of our own world. Greeks practiced pederasty, and for Spartans it was virtually mandatory. How can we, then, examine this society in depth while condemning them all the same? I have always believed that you must view history from a neutral perspective and understand **why** they had felt and thought as they did, otherwise you are merely perpetuating a form of incredible arrogance to deign to judge people with no basis besides your own personal ideologies. A murderer was still a murderer, and thus despicable even in his own time frame, but then what of the slaver? It was accepted at the time, so are we to immediately assume that all slavers were by default morally reprehensible? I choose to try and be as impartial as I can, and put aside my biases if at all possible. To enter into a study with preconceived notions, to quote one of my favorite books, "Invariably leads to creating facts to suit theories, rather than theories to suit facts."

Perhaps that is a mistake, I could not say.
certainly! it is very important to recognize modern biases in our interpretations of historical sources. i absolutely agree with you.

however, without trying to seem patronizing or condescending, because i know you already know this, but slavery occurred within those periods for a myriad of reasons, and historians seek to analyze those reasons and understand them. sometimes slavery was utilized as an economic solution to the need for labour, but at times was also used for political or religious reasons to control or stop a race, culture or population from propagating.

since the implication of modern bias is a cultural one, i'll approach this with an example of the critique of slavery within a cultural context. let's consider, for the sake of argument, the society of 5th century ireland which utilized slavery when raiders would attack and enslave opposing settlements. from this we could make the observation that slavery was simply "a product of its time" because it was part of the culture of raiders.

however, let's also consider the life of st. patrick, the patron saint of ireland, who at the age of 16 was captured by irish raiders and enslaved. we can look to his writings in "confessio" to understand his thoughts on this:
I, Patrick, a sinner, a most simple countryman, the least of all the faithful and most contemptible to many, had for father the deacon Calpurnius, son of the late Potitus, a priest, of the settlement of Bannavem Taburniae; he had a small villa nearby where I was taken captive. I was at that time about sixteen years of age.
while not directly a condemnation of the practice of slavery, during his captivity is when he converted to christianity for comfort. after returning to britain, he sought to return to ireland as a missionary to spread the message of christianity, of which most importantly he espoused the virtues of freeing slaves and treating people with respect because of the sanctity of life. it's here he witnesses irish raiders once again enslaving people from local communities, this time newly converted christians, and in his writings to the soldiers of coroticus, he reveals the depth of his anger at having witnessed coroticus and his men, who were also christian, killing fellow christians and taking others as slaves:
They wickedly and hostilely plan out a strategy. They carry off the sheep, and then, driven by their greed, they make them slaves; and they help to scatter the members of the body of Christ as though to the most remote regions of the earth.
the sheep in this context not being literal sheep, but rather members of his "flock" in a christian sense.

he goes on:
"Others were miserably torn from their homeland: all the time they were with their captors they kept the Easter fast, and refused to take any food at all."
"That is why I grieve for you, grieve for you, my dearest ones; but again, I rejoice within myself: I have not laboured for nothing, and my journeying abroad has not been in vain."
"They live in death, allies of the Scots and the apostate Picts. Dripping with blood, they welter in the blood of innocent Christians whom I have begotten for God and confirmed in Christ!"
through st patrick we can find an interpretation that even within the framework of early medieval thought, there were individuals who recognized and spoke out against the moral and ethical implications of slavery, with st patrick himself guided by his own personal experience of enslavement and used christianity as a means to improve the lives of the irish and to condemn slavery through the lens of christian thought. while many practices of the past should be understood within their historical context, it's vital to remember that even within those contexts, there were a variety of perspectives and critiques. acknowledging these voices is not to impose modern biases on the past, but rather to recognize the diversity of thought that existed even then and helps us to build a more indepth and well-rounded interpretation of the period.
Last edited by dendydoom on Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NSFW:
bifur
Byond Username: Boferbofer

Post by bifur » #707903

dendydoom wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:25 am -snip-
I fucking love history and both of your posts here have been fascinating reads
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #707918

discord jannies should not ban people they were just in an argument with, get another jannie to do it, especially if you went to the effort of getting them to literally check in on the ban in the first place.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #707937

Well that was a wall of text. Ultimately I don't think the ban reason:
'Attempted to morally relativize the genociding of children'
Is what was actually done. John called it pointless in most cases, an unfortunate reality and said people were deafened to the suffering of those we hate.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #707961

While I am not supportive of the reason of the ban I think this man is too smart to be a part of this community and should be kept away for his own good

kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #707975

LEARN BREVITY HOLY SHIT
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #707976

why say with two words what you could say with a much increased volume of words achieved by combining the sum of a larger variety of synonyms for the same thing alongside redundant repetition and restatement as well as unecessary addition detail which actually distracts from my initial point and also occasional ramblings about something unrelated I just happened to think of while writing? and don't forget repeating the same thing I said earlier again because I forgot that I already said it, or redundant repetition.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #707977

Jacquerel wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:41 pm why say with two words what you could say with a much increased volume of words achieved by combining the sum of a larger variety of synonyms for the same thing alongside redundant repetition and restatement as well as unecessary addition detail which actually distracts from my initial point and also occasional ramblings about something unrelated I just happened to think of while writing? and don't forget repeating the same thing I said earlier again because I forgot that I already said it, or redundant repetition.
just dont
Living God

Extraordinary Person

dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #707978

the forums aren't an academic journal i'm not editing down my stream of consciousness rambling and i'm usually stoned as shit when i come here it's the only way to find any entertainment in it
NSFW:
LEDDDriver
Byond Username: LEDDriver

Post by LEDDDriver » #707981

I side with intern john on this one.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #708009

Unban him if only to save on disk space for the massive walls of text he's inserting into the database.
jimmyl
Byond Username: Jimmyl

Post by jimmyl » #708051

unban my man
ImageImageImage
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #708054

I feel like you should only be banned in polcon related conversations if you’re being overtly malicious or talking about some crazy insane shit and then not caring when asked to stop and John didn’t really come close to either
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #708061

i can see where both sides sort of come from - but i'm prefacing this by saying that i genuinely thing internjohn is just another one of us weird history obsessed dipshits with no malicious ulterior motive.

but i also understand the concern from policing polcon channels. the dreaded "romeaboo" is mocked in many circles because they take a flimsy view of history and couch their intolerance within it. they don't seek to analyze and deconstruct history within its own contexts, but rather they simply make vague, sweeping references to ancient rome and the stance of its state, and co-opt its symbols, terminology and narratives in order to provide their ideologies with a veneer of historical legitimacy. they might reference the roman empire as a golden age of european supremacy, or as an example of a racially pure and powerful civilization. this usage is often historically inaccurate and just straight up disregards facts like the multicultural and diverse nature of the roman empire. to summarize: people who think history is some sort of total war video game and romanticize it to an extreme.

internjohn doesn't match any of these stereotypes if you dig a little deeper. he really does just love ancient rome.

if you want my drive-by take, it was just a false positive where someone innocent, for a split second, fell into the mold of the evil polcon stereotype around a sensitive topic.
NSFW: