adblocker poll

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)

Do you use an adblocker?

Yes
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 98

blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

adblocker poll

Post by blackdav123 » #708534

youtube is trying to make me watch ads again reeeeeeeee

if you dont have an adblocker and want one i use the ublock origin extension 10/10 would recommend
Weston Echard on Sybil
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Re: adblocker poll

Post by iwishforducks » #708535

youtube really thinks that i am willing to watch their site with ads on
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #708539

I just blocked the element that tells you to turn off adblock (and the overlay that prevents you interacting with the page)
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #708540

I use adblockers and sponsorskips, I have seen terrorist attacks have a smoother transition than most YouTubers with their sponsored video sections.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
iansdoor
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Iansdoor

Post by iansdoor » #708546

Sadly, my time with adblock on my computer is gone. I do keep it on my phone.
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #708547

The sooner you switch away from a chromium based browser the easy it'll be once google drops the hammer.
Image Image
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #708548

I don't even know what an ad is, regards a Firefox Main.

Firefox on my phone with ublock also blocks ads on YT as well so I don't even use the app.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #708552

The advertising and data collection industry is a cancer and plague to society. Why the fuck do they spend so much effort and resources on making every website a terrible experience by trying to collect data while doing a dumb consent popup? Just scrape the website data and base your ads on that retards. There's literally no point in goingh through this fucking hassle of makong almost every website a terrible experience with these dumb retarded data collecyion retardation and absolute trash retarded marketing schemes.

99% of the people that work on the advertising industry should get sent to federal prison.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #708555

ublock has been at war with youtube for a while and the battle is ramping up pretty hard. Despite their complete lack of interest in quality controlling ads, Google/Youtube still expect you to watch whatever they put in front of you. Even if that advertising could be hiding malicious links. Google still makes money regardless, and rather than implement quality controls, they foist the burden of deference to the end user's discretion. The thing that many of these particularly predatory abusers of Youtube's advertising system are hoping for.

If you're not using firefox currently, I'd highly recommend switching now.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #708558

If youtube actually quality controlled their ads and stopped doing video advertisements, which impact the content I want to watch, and instead just put some ad off to the side, I wouldn't care and I would actually allow the ads. Instead though they want to put actual scams and ponzi schemes and dumb advertisements like coca cola (why would anyone ever click on an ad for like, clorox or coca cola?) and they make it so I have to watch them along with the video.

It's really frustrating because I don't mind ads in principle, and there's been more than once in my life I've bought something because of an ad! Obviously advertising works, or they wouldn't do it! It's just I don't want it to be annoying and interrupt my videos and/or to be malware! Like, I know within 0.1 seconds whether or not im interested in a product being advertised! No matter how good clorox makes their ad, I have no reason to click on it!
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #708560

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:43 pm If youtube actually quality controlled their ads and stopped doing video advertisements, which impact the content I want to watch, and instead just put some ad off to the side, I wouldn't care and I would actually allow the ads. Instead though they want to put actual scams and ponzi schemes and dumb advertisements like coca cola (why would anyone ever click on an ad for like, clorox or coca cola?) and they make it so I have to watch them along with the video.

It's really frustrating because I don't mind ads in principle, and there's been more than once in my life I've bought something because of an ad! Obviously advertising works, or they wouldn't do it! It's just I don't want it to be annoying and interrupt my videos and/or to be malware! Like, I know within 0.1 seconds whether or not im interested in a product being advertised! No matter how good clorox makes their ad, I have no reason to click on it!
They also removed the indicators that an ad will happen, and also made it pretty much random. Even if you rewind a video, two unskippable 15 second ads can just pop up without warning at any given time. It's so disruptive. YouTube is basically unusable without adblocking.

I'm pretty sure their advertising scheme is more to try and convince people to buy premium rather than go for ad revenue. If they get low quality crap scam ads, then it works out for them in frustrating the users.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #708563

I like uBlock Origin because I can use it to block out recommendations too. I open YouTube and my home page is a small list of my subscribed channels and then a massive square of nothingness where recommendations would be. I refuse to watch what a machine tells me to watch
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #708564

wait until the content creators start complaining about less people watching, itll be gone in a month
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #708569

I have youtube premium, i got an early adopter rate that so far has remained.

For me youtube is my main source of content to watch, so it's worth it for me.

I use ublock origin and noscript on the web.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #708570

Kendrickorium wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:55 pm wait until the content creators start complaining about less people watching, itll be gone in a month
People who block ads dont give them rev share, so their rev will remain unchanged, so they dont have much reason to complain.

I suppose it could impact in video ads from third party's with contract agreements.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #708579

I would be more than happy to use yt premium if they didn't use unethical tricks to push it like putting code on the app to abuse their access to device status information to pause videos when you background the app then charging you a fee to disable said code.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #708580

Anyone who doesn't use adblocker clearly has never heard of a condom
help
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #708616

This is why I swapped to Firefox with ublock a couple days ago. YouTube is no longer sending me the "no adblock allowed" thing. Hurrah.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #709298

Y-you wouldn't AdBlock a car would you?