It Keeps Happening

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

It Keeps Happening

Post by Vekter » #710783

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35271

I think the problem is that people aren't understanding that you can't say something reprehensible and then make everything better by saying "IT WAS A JOKE BRO".

I'm enjoying this hardline "if you tell someone to kill themselves you get slapped" ruling. That's not something anyone should be telling anybody. You don't know what they're going through outside of the game.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Re: It Keeps Happening

Post by conrad » #710786

Careful Vekter they're gonna say you're advocating turning tg into a hugbox.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #710788

im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #710789

This is objectively funny and I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh when someone insults me when I bwoink them.

I'm still going to ban them, but it's funny.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #710794

I think he doesn't understand. Yes, it's based to tell authority figures to fuck off. Very rebellious and edgy. However, the reason it's based is because doing so demonstrates you aren't afraid of the repercussions of doing so, in this case, being banned.

If you turn around after being banned and snivel and cry "B-b-but I'm based! I'm based! You can't hecking bannerino me!" then you're just cringe.

Like, turning around and seeking reconciliation, or saying you maybe took it too far would be fine, but the way he did it is very cringe.

I hope banning admeme tells him as much in the appeal, too.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #710807

this is about the most appropriate use of the term “based” ive seen. “based” shall not be used as a measure of righteousness but by a measure of valor- the question is if it’s true bravery or dumb ignorance (methinks the latter)
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #710812

I dunno that didn't really cross the line in my opinion but on the other hand it's only a warning. Both parties should touch grass.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #710814

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:29 am I dunno that didn't really cross the line in my opinion but on the other hand it's only a warning. Both parties should touch grass.
they were banned from the discord, admin hasnt stated for how long though
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #710819

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:38 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:29 am I dunno that didn't really cross the line in my opinion but on the other hand it's only a warning. Both parties should touch grass.
they were banned from the discord, admin hasnt stated for how long though
That's stupid then. I 100% agree with having a red line for telling people to kill themselves but what's the point of a red line if you ban people for not even crossing it?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #710831

I had discussions about it in the admin channels when it was brought up at the time it was posted. We shifted from banning people that said kys to banning people that didn't condemn them and supported them in any form.

I don't think it needed to be actioned at all, and it was very easy to imprint your own biases into the message and any subsequent investigations.

Quoting myself talking about this when the message was first discussed:
Again, I think that's imprinting biases on their message. You're putting a LOT of weight on their ambiguous response 100% being support of the exact words said.

Rather than the response in general of rebelling against the admins when a player gets banned.

To me, it doesn't read like an endorsement of kysing at admins. Just support of throwing a tizzy when people you like are banned. It reads as an edgy retort.

[Snip more discussion]

I think with the current wonderful wave of very strong bans, there has to be a time to just let things settle down lest we spend the next month just chain banning people for being edgy.
Of course given the context this wasn't a massively popular opinion, and there's no concept of ticket ownership on Discord so all it takes it 1 DJ to take issue with something even if another has looked into it and decided not to take action.

In this case it was prompted by headmin nudging to the next day though so it is what it is. My decision and discussion not to handle it got overruled by that.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #710835

Timberpoes wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:11 am I had discussions about it in the admin channels when it was brought up at the time it was posted. We shifted from banning people that said kys to banning people that didn't condemn them and supported them in any form.

I don't think it needed to be actioned at all, and it was very easy to imprint your own biases into the message and any subsequent investigations.

Quoting myself talking about this when the message was first discussed:
Again, I think that's imprinting biases on their message. You're putting a LOT of weight on their ambiguous response 100% being support of the exact words said.

Rather than the response in general of rebelling against the admins when a player gets banned.

To me, it doesn't read like an endorsement of kysing at admins. Just support of throwing a tizzy when people you like are banned. It reads as an edgy retort.

[Snip more discussion]

I think with the current wonderful wave of very strong bans, there has to be a time to just let things settle down lest we spend the next month just chain banning people for being edgy.
Of course given the context this wasn't a massively popular opinion, and there's no concept of ticket ownership on Discord so all it takes it 1 DJ to take issue with something even if another has looked into it and decided not to take action.

In this case it was prompted by headmin nudging to the next day though so it is what it is. My decision and discussion not to handle it got overruled by that.
This headmin term seems kind of aggressive. Ultimately I agree with the metacom and kys permas but seems like there's a lot of collateral damage going on.
conrad

Post by conrad » #710846

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:13 am this is about the most appropriate use of the term “based” ive seen. “based” shall not be used as a measure of righteousness but by a measure of valor- the question is if it’s true bravery or dumb ignorance (methinks the latter)
Honestly hard agree. Based has been recently used for the usual "It was a really dumb thing to do. So I did it anyway".
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #710848

Based and bluepilled.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #710849

This was the conversation.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #710850

So would Chris Rock's bit where he joked about understanding why OJ would kill Nicole Simpson get him banned as well? I don't see what line is being crossed here, the dude wasn't bullying any admins by expressing his opinion.
This ban makes it seem like the admins involved were mad about the funeral incident rather than enforcing a certain standard of behavior on the playerbase.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #710855

Time to bully Archie for making a typo
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #710856

Archie700 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:20 pm Image

This was the conversation.
So he's saying it's based and redpilled. He's a liar and a loser fuvk him.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #710857

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:56 pm Time to bully Archie for making a typo
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #710887

On one hand these discord bans really rub me the wrong way, on the other defending this type of person is almost always a mistake. This shit blows
conrad

Post by conrad » #710888

He asked for a headmin review. Does he really expect it to turn out any different?
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #710889

what a weird admin response
conrad

Post by conrad » #710893

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:26 pm what a weird admin response
Hmm, why do you think so? I read it as a "Sorry, but no." in the end.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #710897

can we perma ban them forever and ever for using "yeah it was based in my eyes" as an argument
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #710899

conrad wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:21 pm He asked for a headmin review. Does he really expect it to turn out any different?
He might as well take it, it was offered. What's the worst that'll happen? He's already permabanned.

I still think this final outcome is lost in translation and there's some hope.

The banned player's final comment in the Discord ticket with Omega before being banned was that it was not rightful but was based. I think it's clear they understand it's not right (or in the terms of the the language used, it's not a "rightful response") versus an admin's actions, but they respect the act of rebelling against authority. I don't think that's necessarily a bannable opinion and is the very last comment they said.

From the appeal OP, they believe that kys can be acceptable in a non-sincere context - as a joking response to something dumb. Expressing this opinion doesn't offend any of our rules although actually carrying it will, as we generally don't accept even joking kys on Discord to keep us clear of the Discord Trust & Safety Team taking a liking to us. They clearly state in the appeal they don't condone when kys is done seriously.

Exercising a little two-time headmin critical thinking and trying to keep an open mind, I can still square this circle without I believe reaching at all. Featherfield probably doesn't believe the kys calls during the Terry Chapel Incident were serious in the respect that the players seriously and sincerely wanted anyone to actually and genuinely kill themselves IRL. Featherfield agrees that calling for kys in response to admin actions is not a rightful response, but they respect either the backbone or the stupidity (it's "based") of the people that did it.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #710900

Unban them on the condition they state in the appeal that telling people to kys is cringe, not based.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #710901

conrad wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:43 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:26 pm what a weird admin response
Hmm, why do you think so? I read it as a "Sorry, but no." in the end.
i disagree with the nature of these scorched-earth you-shall-not-disagree bans, for more or less the same reasons as timber has stated. omega sort of came out of the gates swinging, and im glad they admitted to that as much, but i still think they are letting their emotions play this one out. it’s a bit ridiculous to leave someone hanging on “banned” with no indication of duration. would’ve understood a 2 week ban similar to pepper’s just as a way to simmer things down

i think many people are making very rash decisions based off of their in-the-moment emotions, and i wish people would stop lighting bridges on fire here. it all feels witch-hunty. and i mean this in both admin decisions and clear name-calling by players. even thunder’s forum post felt witch-hunty to me. cooler heads will prevail in the upcoming weeks.

this is all compounded by my trust in the original QC ban faltering. with it being closed so quickly with no real indication that a QC ban was needed, and the long and confused response from sk1 followed shortly after. sometimes folks just get heated- not that it’s excusable but some of the folks HAVE contributed many great things to the community. i dont know if it feels appropriate to burn the bridge and then ban anyone who dares weigh in anything other than condemnation

long and winded response but the point is that omega’s response just feels so disconnected from the situation, which is why i simply find it “weird”. the entire situation rubs me the wrong way.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #710902

iwishforducks wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:31 pm i disagree with the nature of these scorched-earth you-shall-not-disagree bans, for more or less the same reasons as timber has stated. omega sort of came out of the gates swinging, and im glad they admitted to that as much, but i still think they are letting their emotions play this one out. it’s a bit ridiculous to leave someone hanging on “banned” with no indication of duration. would’ve understood a 2 week ban similar to pepper’s just as a way to simmer things down

i think many people are making very rash decisions based off of their in-the-moment emotions, and i wish people would stop lighting bridges on fire here. it all feels witch-hunty. and i mean this in both admin decisions and clear name-calling by players. even thunder’s forum post felt witch-hunty to me. cooler heads will prevail in the upcoming weeks.

this is all compounded by my trust in the original QC ban faltering. with it being closed so quickly with no real indication that a QC ban was needed, and the long and confused response from sk1 followed shortly after. sometimes folks just get heated- not that it’s excusable but some of the folks HAVE contributed many great things to the community. i dont know if it feels appropriate to burn the bridge and then ban anyone who dares weigh in anything other than condemnation

long and winded response but the point is that omega’s response just feels so disconnected from the situation, which is why i simply find it “weird”. the entire situation rubs me the wrong way.
Simple solution - do not tell people to kill themselves and do not support other players for telling people to kill themselves

It's not rocket science

You are perfectly free to disagree - I mean look, you're doing it and so far there isn't a mob with torches and pitchforks knocking at your door calling for your immediate banning. Just as long as you don't tell others to kill themselves or support telling others to kill themselves you won't be banned. You can, and have done so repeatedly without any repercussions, weigh in with anything other than condemnation and still not be banned.

The only bridge burning here is being carried out by the people who, upon seeing someone get banned for telling someone to kill themselves, proceeded to either join in or applaud it. It doesn't matter how much they have contributed to the community, this was a clearly defined line that they decided to cross for no fucking reason.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #710944

Honestly the guy's an idiot because the very easy way out of this problem is to go "I think a bunch of players protesting their friend's ban by doing the very thing that got him banned is kinda based. The part where that's telling people to kys maybe less so"

Because from reading it, it's looks like it's what he means. All he has to do is just make it clear that he's not endorsing telling people to kill themselves, just the rebellious attitude.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #710960

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:59 am Honestly the guy's an idiot because the very easy way out of this problem is to go "I think a bunch of players protesting their friend's ban by doing the very thing that got him banned is kinda based. The part where that's telling people to kys maybe less so"

Because from reading it, it's looks like it's what he means. All he has to do is just make it clear that he's not endorsing telling people to kill themselves, just the rebellious attitude.
90% of appeals have extremely easy outs which would instantly get the appealer unbanner or unnoted or what have you and only take saying one very short sentence, but they'd rather be "right" than not have their appeal rejected.
conrad

Post by conrad » #710965

Jacquerel wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:02 am
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:59 am Honestly the guy's an idiot because the very easy way out of this problem is to go "I think a bunch of players protesting their friend's ban by doing the very thing that got him banned is kinda based. The part where that's telling people to kys maybe less so"

90% of appeals have extremely easy outs which would instantly get the appealer unbanner or unnoted or what have you and only take saying one very short sentence, but they'd rather be "right" than not have their appeal rejected.
Nah Jacquerel it's much more based to die on the hill you have created than be seen as a pussy that licks the steel sabattons of the evil administration.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.