Codenut: Jacquerel leads the inquisition, smites heretics

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Codenut: Jacquerel leads the inquisition, smites heretics

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711860

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/79788

TLDR is PR is up to remove ascensions from heretics.

Seems like a terrible PR to me since that means Heretics will now be progression antagonists with weak early games, but without the payoff for that weak early game.

Also feels absolutely terrible as a heretic enjoyer.

Hope you guys are ready for Bar RPing heretics, because they won't have anything better to do anymore!
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Re: Codenut: Jacquerel leads the inquisition, smites heretics

Post by Bepis » #711861

As well as Traitors
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/79793
Spoiler:
I don't mind either change
Last edited by Bepis on Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #711862

There are many other ways you can end the round, or terrorise crew. You don't need to do a scripted event for the 3710542669305725294th time lol.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711863

Bepis wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:51 pm As well as Traitors
Oh good, now we get the time-gates everyone hates of progression traitor but without the funny final objective at the end which was the compensation for the time gates!

Hope you guys enjoy only ever seeing a resonance cascade again if Vents-Hot-Air or I hop on and decide to do it as engineering traitors. Because that's the only way it's gonna happen now, if this gets merged.

Lowpop traitor is gonna be even more boring. Woohoo!
trexter555
Byond Username: Trexter555

Post by trexter555 » #711864

im like one of three people that actually likes progression based antags and these prs make me feel very sad
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #711865

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:16 pm
Bepis wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:51 pm As well as Traitors
Oh good, now we get the time-gates everyone hates of progression traitor but without the funny final objective at the end which was the compensation for the time gates!

Hope you guys enjoy only ever seeing a resonance cascade again if Vents-Hot-Air or I hop on and decide to do it as engineering traitors. Because that's the only way it's gonna happen now, if this gets merged.

Lowpop traitor is gonna be even more boring. Woohoo!
Resonance cascade was never supposed to be common. Doesn't matter.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #711866

FUCK i feel like genuinely the only one who likes playing heretic
respect (let him do his thing)
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #711867

also keep in mind, emphasis mine
don't worry this change is still just one I am making because I personally think it's a good idea and there's no guarantee it will be merged.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #711868

Hugbox vibes man what the flarp
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711869

Bepis wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:30 pm also keep in mind, emphasis mine
don't worry this change is still just one I am making because I personally think it's a good idea and there's no guarantee it will be merged.
No guarantee, sure, but still, I'm deeply worried because they mentioned the headmin team and maintainers wanted this.

And then in the very next thread after it gets merged there's going to be someone posting about how "Manuel is boring now, all the traitors just stand around Bar RPing.". Gee, I wonder why, when they want to take away the goals that makes antags do antagonsitic things in the first place!

Some maintainer please explain to me why you think antags will take risks to getting themselves round removed by doing stuff like assault or kidnapping if they don't get anything out of it, especially if it's lowpop, where murderboning is banned. Or if it's MRP, where murderboning in general is banned.
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #711870

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:38 pm
Bepis wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:30 pm also keep in mind, emphasis mine
No guarantee, sure, but still, I'm deeply worried because they mentioned the headmin team and maintainers wanted this.

And then in the very next thread after it gets merged there's going to be someone posting about how "Manuel is boring now, all the traitors just stand around Bar RPing.". Gee, I wonder why, when they want to take away the goals that makes antags do antagonsitic things in the first place!

Some maintainer please explain to me why you think antags will take risks to getting themselves round removed by doing stuff like assault or kidnapping if they don't get anything out of it, especially if it's lowpop, where murderboning is banned. Or if it's MRP, where murderboning in general is banned.
Cause before final objectives, before progression traitor, people absolutely did take these risks. Cause they were fun, succeed or fail. Not because there is potential that if they checklist enough objectives they get to go super saiyan.

On the topic of heretics though, I agree that after this they're missing something in their kit that ties their main path together and makes it stronger. Pseudo ascensions should definitely be a replacement that isnt round ending but still makes the antag pretty damn scary to close off the late game. I think I have a few good ideas already of what those could be.

Adding more new kinda stronk items to the high rep cost shop could also fill the role of psuedo replacing final objectives. Elite nukie modsuit is already quite good, but I could see stuff like plasmafist being in there, or perhaps even the thing that straight up makes you a dragon.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711871

Based Fikou saved us.

All hail the funny coding penguin
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #711872

If the outcome for heretics ends up being "make their early game more fun first, then remove ascending" that will be reasonably ok by me
but if I am the one who remakes heretics (and nobody else is lining up to do it) I won't be designing an antagonist who ascends, and will have significantly less progression
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #711873

fuck i kind of agree
respect (let him do his thing)
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #711874

As a recovering speedtot addict I am very happy about this. It's a very hard to resist the urge to ruin the round for everyone by speedtotting when there's a big shiny objective at the end of it.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #711875

sometimes even when you speedtot there is just nothing at the fucking end because hey THERES NO TIME TO GET THE EXTRA AND THE EXTRA OBJECTIVES BUTTON DOESNT DO SHIT
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #711876

why are we doing code nuts again? peanuts exist to give a place for players to talk about bans because they can sometimes give good feedback. you can already DO THAT on the git
► Show Spoiler
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #711877

cSeal wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:19 pm why are we doing code nuts again? peanuts exist to give a place for players to talk about bans because they can sometimes give good feedback. you can already DO THAT on the git
because we just wanna complain not give feedback
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cSeal

Post by cSeal » #711878

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:26 pm
cSeal wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:19 pm why are we doing code nuts again? peanuts exist to give a place for players to talk about bans because they can sometimes give good feedback. you can already DO THAT on the git
theres this really cool website called red dit i think youll be quite fond of my fgriend....
► Show Spoiler
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #711879

cSeal wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:32 pm
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:26 pm
theres this really cool website called red dit i think youll be quite fond of my fgriend....
dont call me your gf I will crush your skull
Living God

Extraordinary Person

TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #711880

whoa whoa there’s plenty of lolswat to go around you two

W change btw even if it doesn’t impact me at all (I’ve never ascended), I hate getting my heretic rounds ruined because Harold Heretic decides to become a dark knowledge academic weapon
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #711883

this shit got me feeling like m bison https://youtu.be/P3ALwKeSEYs

progression antags are a stain upon the codebase IMO. think about all of the good and fun ss13 videos and how many of them are about antagonists taking dumb risks for their dumb gimmicks. case in point: https://youtu.be/jC-6EPgoWbI
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #711887

iwishforducks wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:01 pm this shit got me feeling like m bison https://youtu.be/P3ALwKeSEYs

progression antags are a stain upon the codebase IMO. think about all of the good and fun ss13 videos and how many of them are about antagonists taking dumb risks for their dumb gimmicks. case in point: https://youtu.be/jC-6EPgoWbI
They get uploaded because they're funny. There are plenty of rounds that involve people without gimmicks or ideas, progtrog gives you shit to do. (Not at all biased as a progtrot objective creator)
► Show Spoiler
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #711888

Chadley wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:44 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:01 pm this shit got me feeling like m bison https://youtu.be/P3ALwKeSEYs

They get uploaded because they're funny. There are plenty of rounds that involve people without gimmicks or ideas, progtrog gives you shit to do. (Not at all biased as a progtrot objective creator)
the progtot goals you've added since are also massively better than they were initially in terms of giving people a reason to 'spread the love' to other targets and crew a natural reason to want to kick your teeth in for them :heart:

the positive feedback loops of overall progression antagonist balance aren't quite so good though
feedback appreciated here <3
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #711889

I really don't like the idea of removing Heretic ascension without a major rewrite to their lore/mechanics. They make zero sense if you're not moving towards ascending.

Traitor final objectives are a little more reasonable but I'd hate to lose some of the cool content we get with them over some nebulous concern about round-ending circumstances.

I'd also be very interested to see some stats regarding how often rounds end because of either of these happening and how long the round lasts when it does. If we're close to the 90 minute mark, I really don't see a point in striving to get rid of these.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #711890

And I was about to add new final objectives too. :(
► Show Spoiler
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711891

Since Jacquerel mentioned in the PR he wants more spice-giving nuisance antagonists, I am once again going to take this opportunity to plug my Jester antagonist concept: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31501

There you go Jacquerel, now you have a concept you can focus on adding to the game, instead of removing stuff we like.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #711892

I don't think it's that bigga deal. That's the stick approach though. Hopefully there's a carrot at the end.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Post by Bmon » #711893

Final objectives/ascend need to be harder to obtain not to be completely removed
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #711895

I don't think these prs fix anything. I play lrp and none of these final objectives ever happened anyways so I don't really mind the prs. I guess its good to unshackle romerol from the final objective so it can be implemented elsewhere.
Acting like that singulo meteor will ever happen outside of final objectives is a laugh. Actually the whole emagging meteor shields thing was always going to be unfun no matter how much heads up the crew has or lacks.
Basically if spam is the primary concern for most of this then just put them into the events system. Give each of them the same chance of happening as slaughter demon midrounds.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #711896

im sorry
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711897

dendydoom wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:46 pm im sorry
"Restricted"

So you're talking MRP

Why don't you disable heretic on MRP again instead of gutting heretic for LRP?
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #711898

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:06 pm
There you go Jacquerel, now you have a concept you can focus on adding to the game, instead of removing stuff we like.
► Show Spoiler
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #711899

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:53 pm
"Restricted"

So you're talking MRP

i was talking about mrp because i play mrp

im not a headmin i was participating in a discussion with my opinion. idk what heretic is like on lrp. how is it?
NSFW:
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #711900

dendydoom wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:55 pm
"Restricted"

So you're talking MRP

im not a headmin i was participating in a discussion with my opinion. idk what heretic is like on lrp. how is it?

Wdym by restricted antags
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #711901

Can we just get regular traitor back yet? Biddle mechanics are good for team antags because team antags need a common goal only aquired through their biddle lest they become bloodbrothers 2.0(plz reenable on lrp) and go separate ways. The problem was some kid bombing medical each round start which could have been fixed by timelocking 2 items. Hell, I bet traitors wouldn't even pull that shit now that they have half a chance for the bomb to be defused and for their precious antag to be wasted. MRP has murderbone rules, LRP has validhunters. At this point I am convinced that a full revert of prog tots would be entirely beneficial to the game. Heretic can stay how it is and HEADCODERS can block more fucking paths being added to it.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #711902

kieth4 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:58 pm
"Restricted"

So you're talking MRP

you should know this kieth!!!!!!!!!

the subheading "Is this antagonist role restricted in how it can deliver death and destruction?" under roleplay rules
NSFW:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #711903

Capsandi wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:01 pm Can we just get regular traitor back yet? Biddle mechanics are good for team antags because team antags need a common goal only aquired through their biddle lest they become bloodbrothers 2.0(plz reenable on lrp) and go separate ways. The problem was some kid bombing medical each round start which could have been fixed by timelocking 2 items. Hell, I bet traitors wouldn't even pull that shit now that they have half a chance for the bomb to be defused and for their precious antag to be wasted. MRP has murderbone rules, LRP has validhunters. At this point I am convinced that a full revert of prog tots would be entirely beneficial to the game. Heretic can stay how it is and HEADCODERS can block more fucking paths being added to it.
joining as a traitor midround already removes all progression mechanics (also reasonably soon it might give you the option of buying the contractor kit)
BonChoi
Byond Username: BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #711905

What the fuck I'm in this video and I never even realized it. That's me at 1:25
Another bad take provided by yours truly.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #711906

heretic is literally built to ascend wtf is jacquerel doing
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711907

"Restricted"

So you're talking MRP

It's fun.

It's my favorite antag the one time I can play it every 2 months due to population requirements.

Creates a lot of panic and gets people to snap out of NPC mode and try to fight you because they're scared of ascension, so it contributes a lot.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #711908

i don't think final objectives like the ones that heretics have are healthy for the kind of gameplay SS13 does best in. you start the round, you get heretic, and suddenly you know that if you take the time to smell any flowers along the way, or try to experiment, you're RUNNING OUT OF TIME OH FUCK WHAT IF SOMEONE CALLS THE SHUTTLE AND YOU WASTE ALL YOUR SWEATY EFFORT.

i'd prefer antagonists to work as something that can branch out and take advantage of their rules-free status with whatever unique flavor that antagonist can work with in the sandbox. needing to rush to a round-end in opposition to every other player on the server to the detriment of being able to meaningfully run gimmicks/roleplay just sours me on the antagonist as a whole.

additionally, the response that having an antagonist like that on a crewmember level is, as i see it, equally unhealthy. if you catch one, you have no reason to ever believe that they're not a round-ending murderbone with a timer on it, and have no reason to not instantly valid them due to that - you cannot meaningfully disable them in any other way, and any degree of roleplay you attempt with them to give them the benefit of the doubt will come along with a voice yelling in the back of your head 'remember the last time you let one go and he ascended and killed your entire department'?

i think removing the final ascension can promote a little bit more good-faith gameplay that both sides of the fence can engage with and enjoy, at the cost of the rush of 5 minute dopamine you get for sweating your way hard enough through the round and treating everybody else like NPC's to obtain.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #711909

dendydoom wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:02 pm
"Restricted"

So you're talking MRP

the subheading "Is this antagonist role restricted in how it can deliver death and destruction?" under roleplay rules
Don't ever throw rp rules my way or it might just be my 13th reason why.........

Don't you think it's cool to have a logical ending to an antagonist? Like, I can't imagine what kinda shit heretic would do w/o it. Just murder forever until they're finally caught? Having a win condition so the station can lose is cool IMO.

Also on lrp ppl are really bad with it unless they have like 8k hrs
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #711910

kieth4 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:28 pm
"Restricted"

So you're talking MRP

Don't ever throw rp rules my way or it might just be my 13th reason why.........

Don't you think it's cool to have a logical ending to an antagonist? Like, I can't imagine what kinda shit heretic would do w/o it. Just murder forever until they're finally caught? Having a win condition so the station can lose is cool IMO.

might encourage people who aren't as good at it to do something more interesting than a race to the finish line, don't you think? i don't think antagonist players need to be forced to play a certain way to succeed.
cSeal

Post by cSeal » #711911

Traitors did fine without final objectives before biddle traitors, changelings (sometimes) do fine without them as well
► Show Spoiler
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #711912

TheBibleMelts wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:34 pm
"Restricted"

So you're talking MRP

might encourage people who aren't as good at it to do something more interesting than a race to the finish line, don't you think? i don't think antagonist players need to be forced to play a certain way to succeed.
I think that's the ideal right? But in practice, I do not think this will happen. Heretic in any way that you frame is a complicated antagonist already, ascension isn't the default- everything the players who cannot ascend did before they will continue to do and die because even without ascension there is still progression.

The people who can ascend I think will end up being a lot more lethal because now they do not have to target specific people to reach their endgoal so will just murderbone with no win rate which is kinda bad for the story. Because they can no longer really please their dark god ever in the roleplay sense so are just another zzz mindless killer.

Some of my best rp on terry was with heretic where the target to ascend was the guys ic wife and he was like damn wtf do I do the voices in my head aaa (but more actual rp)

I think that the path to ascension can be littered with great roleplay and the station sometimes losing is just how things are sometimes, not the end of the world.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #711913

cSeal wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:38 pm
Traitors did fine without final objectives before biddle traitors, changelings (sometimes) do fine without them as well
For traitors there was the greentext, although it wasn't a """final objective""" it p much served that goal roleplay/story wise ig
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711914

TheBibleMelts wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:27 pm i don't think final objectives like the ones that heretics have are healthy for the kind of gameplay SS13 does best in. you start the round, you get heretic, and suddenly you know that if you take the time to smell any flowers along the way, or try to experiment, you're RUNNING OUT OF TIME OH FUCK WHAT IF SOMEONE CALLS THE SHUTTLE AND YOU WASTE ALL YOUR SWEATY EFFORT.

i'd prefer antagonists to work as something that can branch out and take advantage of their rules-free status with whatever unique flavor that antagonist can work with in the sandbox. needing to rush to a round-end in opposition to every other player on the server to the detriment of being able to meaningfully run gimmicks/roleplay just sours me on the antagonist as a whole.

additionally, the response that having an antagonist like that on a crewmember level is, as i see it, equally unhealthy. if you catch one, you have no reason to ever believe that they're not a round-ending murderbone with a timer on it, and have no reason to not instantly valid them due to that - you cannot meaningfully disable them in any other way, and any degree of roleplay you attempt with them to give them the benefit of the doubt will come along with a voice yelling in the back of your head 'remember the last time you let one go and he ascended and killed your entire department'?

i think removing the final ascension can promote a little bit more good-faith gameplay that both sides of the fence can engage with and enjoy, at the cost of the rush of 5 minute dopamine you get for sweating your way hard enough through the round and treating everybody else like NPC's to obtain.
Counter-argument: the fact that you think people consistently choose to pursue final objectives over rp gimmicks proves that players love final objectives, because there is nothing preventing heretic players from doing gimmicks currently except for missing out on final objectives and crewmate responses.

That just means that heretic ascension is awesome and the team did a great job creating something antagonist players want! That's a good thing, not a bad thing!

As for crewmate responses, like not letting heretics go due to fears of ascension, I once again direct you to my Jester antagonist concept linked earlier, which would help to counter that. If you're not interested in that, then I would also direct you to my other recent idea thread where I proposed changing chemical implants to shock implants to make implant and release actually viable as an alternative. Because right now implanting is countered by taking 5 seconds to grab a bottle of multiver from medbay.
soreyew
Byond Username: SoreYew

Post by soreyew » #711915

Heretic is only now starting to resemble its source material, if they gut it now its not worth even having at all. Low threat antagonists wont magically work if they're a caster.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #711916

I keep trying to write a post on this but it all just boils down to me disliking progression =/