The Era of Virology is Over..

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Chocodemon
Byond Username: Chocodemon

The Era of Virology is Over..

Post by Chocodemon » #712069

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/79849

TLDR:

This PR removes features related to virology, which are:
  • The Virologist
    Advanced Diseases. These are the custom diseases that the virologist can create or that can be created through events or miasma etc
    Sentient Disease: The antagonist, that uses advanced diseases to function.
    Advanced disease event: The event that spawns a random combination of symptoms on a disease and gives it to a few players.
This PR does not remove the following:
  • Simple diseases. Pierrots throat, beesease, flu, cold, etc
    The pandemic. It's still needed to make cures against the above simple viruses
    Simple disease spawning event
    Simple disease crates
    Floor virusses. The carpeliosis, tritgas etc viruses were technically advanced, but have been converted to simple diseases.
    Virology clothing and outfits.You can still buy their clothes or have their vendrobes mapped in.
I missed the initial discussion so I wanted to make a post here about it to see other's thoughts and such. Personally I'm quite sad that heal viruses will no longer be a thing but it's a small price to pay for no more miasma/adv. diseases.

Edit: Nevermind I guess it isn't happening
Last edited by Chocodemon on Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: The Era of Virology is Over..

Post by Jacquerel » #712070

I won't miss it
I might miss sentient disease which is a fun idea which has always been shit, and maybe can be redesigned to work better once it's not based on a rotten foundation
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #712071

this an L for sentient disease but a W for madagascar
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #712073

Does this mean we get Fish Doctor added?
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #712074

Massive nerf for xenos.
Chocodemon
Byond Username: Chocodemon

Post by Chocodemon » #712075

Googles_Hands wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:23 pm Massive nerf for xenos.
I suppose I'll never have to worry about toxin healing symptoms turning slimepeople into nuggets anymore.
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #712076

Chocodemon wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:30 pm
Googles_Hands wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:23 pm Massive nerf for xenos.
I suppose I'll never have to worry about toxin healing symptoms turning slimepeople into nuggets anymore.
I actually meant the secluded monkeys making the perfect starting base for Xenomorphs.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #712077

Finally, a removal that's good for the game-
MSO cockblocked it. Sad.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #712078

Why not just merge the virologist job into the doctor job?

The feature is fine, it's just the virologist job that is too niche.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #712079

Tbh I dislike healing viruses a lot more than lethal/annoying ones. It's just awful design imo, although recent efforts to make the healing less passive do somewhat help.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #712080

i will miss viro.
good night my sweet prince, arguments against you were too strong. you have to be taken around the back of the shed and shot.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #712081

If virology got removed I certainly wouldn’t miss it, but at the same time it’d suck to have it removed wholesale.

Viruses still suck and aren’t fun for 99.9% of the crew, though. The document in the PR explaining why pretty much covers everything I’d say. At least with nearly every single other threat you have the chance of fighting back. Viruses are like borg combat where it’s just an equipment check and if you fail the check you die. At least malf borgs just kill you instead of GBJing you for 5 minutes before you finally die though, so you could observe the round as a ghost.

I am curious to see what specific PRs MSO mentioned that are the power creep ones. Also positive viruses are already super weak removing the half decent good virus traits will make it even less relevant outside of death viruses.
Last edited by RedBaronFlyer on Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #712082

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:59 pm Viruses are like borg combat where it’s just an equipment check and if you fail the check you die. At least malf borgs just kill you instead of GBJing you for 5 minutes before you finally die though, so you could observe the round as a ghost.
Unless they have a borg factory, but the GBJ time for that is much shorter.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Hans
Byond Username: Lipino7

Post by Hans » #712083

Suprised it didnt happen earlier
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #712084

Sentient diseases probably had more reason to be removed than viro, its literally noob bait gay baby jail for anyone that picks it during a round that already has an ambient disease spreading or not realizing that the person they infected is wearing a gas mask.

all the times i watched the poll popup as a ghost and told people not to click yes only for them to be stuck looking at a single individual for the rest of the round because they either got skill issued or no agency'd
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #712088

Can anyone recall at least a single positive experience with diseases, ever? Ban evaders don't count.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #712089

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #712090

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:59 pmI am curious to see what specific PRs MSO mentioned that are the power creep ones. Also positive viruses are already super weak removing the half decent good virus traits will make it even less relevant outside of death viruses.
we asked and he basically just linked every virology PR that has happened since 2016 but I can PR reverting them and we will see what happens
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #712092

I'm really indifferent about viro removal. I'm more opposed to it being removed because I don't want coders to keep focusing on removing shit rather than because I actually like virologist. I wish coder team would focus on adding shit instead. Instead we have them wanting to remove ascensions, then traitor final objectives, now virology.

I think someone forgot to feed the coder team.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #712093

we literally add shit every day of the week
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #712095

Jacquerel wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:53 am we literally add shit every day of the week
yea but that shit is 90 percent emotes and 9 percent FOTM burgers
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #712096

I think the last time we added a new emote was August
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #712098

Jacquerel wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:53 am we literally add shit every day of the week
Counterargument:
wowsomanyadditions.png
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #712099

Okay okay, maybe that was unfair, perhaps the next page of the closed PRs list will have some actual additions
somanyadditionstwo.png
Uh, I guess we got a couple minor sprite additions, but, the spriting team is different than the coding team, so I don't think that counts either, tbh.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #712100

Okay, I finally found something! 2 weeks ago, so, 7 whole pages of merged PRs back, we got some entity wibbling and drunk self harm
finallysomecontent.png
Not really stuff that I would say counter-balances the removal of all of virology or final objectives from both traitor and heretic though

So what were you saying about how the coder team adds stuff every day Jacquerel? Because that is objectively, demonstratably false, unless you count minor fixes and the spriting team adding stuff to be the same thing as the coder team actually adding content. Which I don't.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #712101

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:21 am Okay, I finally found something! 2 weeks ago, so, 7 whole pages of merged PRs back, we got some entity wibbling and drunk self harm

finallysomecontent.png

Not really stuff that I would say counter-balances the removal of all of virology or final objectives from both traitor and heretic though

So what were you saying about how the coder team adds stuff every day Jacquerel? Because that is objectively, demonstratably false, unless you count minor fixes and the spriting team adding stuff to be the same thing as the coder team actually adding content. Which I don't.
please don't agree with me if you are going to type so insufferably
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #712104

19th November:
- Midround traitors can buy contractor kits
- You can tame and ride wolves on Icebox
18th November:
- Wall safe UI which doesn't look like shit
17th November:
- Botanists can grow carrot swords.
- Additional player-controlled bitrunning foes.
- Emags can allow bitrunning antagonists to exit the virtual realm into real life.
16th November:
basically just fixes and qol I'll give you this one, not that those aren't important
15th November:
- New panel for emote selection with more detailed information about when they will or won't display.
14th November:
- A ranch for Ash Lizards to raise Gutlunches, which can now be bred for battle stats an accompany you into the wild.
- Overdosing on green beer makes you green.
- Minor rework to gunpoints to make them more useful.
13th November:
- Customisable quirks can now be customised on the quirk page instead of swapping back and forth to see what they are actually doing.
12th November:
- Rapid-firing holoparasites can just shoot with full auto instead of using an auto clicker, holoparasites get dragged along when you move much more gracefully instead of constatly being teleported, and various other changes to impove the experience of playing or having one.

What is open and being worked on by coders right now? Well no guarantee it will be merged but:
- Rabbit DNA infusions
- Another new heretic path
- The ability to visually stand on beds, crates, and tables
- Framework for temporary jobs not available in every round
- Additional AI for cats, and helpful AI for chef-crafted cats
- Spider poison rework
- Tackling rework (would have been in today but i forgot to merge it oops)
- Asthma
- Portable gun recharger backpacks

Sadly didn't see any open PRs which would work on improving your ability to navigate github, read the changelog, or even to add some kind of cooldown to prevent triple posting. Hopefully someone will pick those up to improve before those dastardly maintainers remove these features.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #712105

Time-Green, I killed Yog so you could come code for /tg/, and this is how you repay us???
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #712108

Jacquerel wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:05 am 19th November:
- Midround traitors can buy contractor kits
- You can tame and ride wolves on Icebox
18th November:
- Wall safe UI which doesn't look like shit
17th November:
- Botanists can grow carrot swords.
- Additional player-controlled bitrunning foes.
- Emags can allow bitrunning antagonists to exit the virtual realm into real life.
16th November:
basically just fixes and qol I'll give you this one, not that those aren't important
15th November:
- New panel for emote selection with more detailed information about when they will or won't display.
14th November:
- A ranch for Ash Lizards to raise Gutlunches, which can now be bred for battle stats an accompany you into the wild.
- Overdosing on green beer makes you green.
- Minor rework to gunpoints to make them more useful.
13th November:
- Customisable quirks can now be customised on the quirk page instead of swapping back and forth to see what they are actually doing.
12th November:
- Rapid-firing holoparasites can just shoot with full auto instead of using an auto clicker, holoparasites get dragged along when you move much more gracefully instead of constatly being teleported, and various other changes to impove the experience of playing or having one.

What is open and being worked on by coders right now? Well no guarantee it will be merged but:
- Rabbit DNA infusions
- Another new heretic path
- The ability to visually stand on beds, crates, and tables
- Framework for temporary jobs not available in every round
- Additional AI for cats, and helpful AI for chef-crafted cats
- Spider poison rework
- Tackling rework (would have been in today but i forgot to merge it oops)
- Asthma
- Portable gun recharger backpacks

Sadly didn't see any open PRs which would work on improving your ability to navigate github, read the changelog, or even to add some kind of cooldown to prevent triple posting. Hopefully someone will pick those up to improve before those dastardly maintainers remove these features.
You know what? You're right Jacquerel, I was overly harsh with my assessment. I'm sorry.

I'm just really overly upset about what you tried to do with Heretic. I think that you don't understand the fantasy of Heretic and how much we like it, and it's clouded my judgement of your contributions.

Please don't take me being so insufferable there to heart.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #712115

MooCow12 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:49 pm Sentient diseases probably had more reason to be removed than viro, its literally noob bait gay baby jail for anyone that picks it during a round that already has an ambient disease spreading or not realizing that the person they infected is wearing a gas mask.

all the times i watched the poll popup as a ghost and told people not to click yes only for them to be stuck looking at a single individual for the rest of the round because they either got skill issued or no agency'd
I still remember one round where the sentient virus infected an SSD guy in a dorm room on tram.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #712120

Big feature additions travel in herds to escape roving bands of thumbs-down emotes, everyone knows that.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #712150

if I see a fish doctor it's on sight
feedback appreciated here <3
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #712561

I remember when virology was two classic diseases, cold and flu, and they were just diseases because there were no advanced diseases, and you just cured them with spaceacillin and buckling a monkey to the bed

Unless you made puppy eyes at the CMO, Cap, or Cargo hard enough and they ordered you a smorgasbord virus crate with the finger-wagging admonition "you'd BETTER NOT BE DOING ANTAGONISM IN THERE...." as you played with GBS and Pierrot's, curing them or watching them kill monkeys for literally no other reason than because you now could, and this was the depth of virology gameplay.

So you waited for cult or benos to use viro as a base. Or even back then - you cured your two viruses, made vaccines for the odd cold/flu event, and became a green doctor.

Or, you ERP'd (the reason for speedrunning boosted healing viruses on Other Servers today,) or made yourself into a Homestuck troll with admin powers and threw a bomb-ass tea party. 2012 was a Hell of a time and I wish I still had a lot of the old screenies. I wish the old forums were up

All this to say that advanced viruses are a world of gameplay improvement and depth over what they've been, but virology - the DNA of the system - has been with us since before there were even multiple tg servers - it'll be a loss if we kill it now, but it's also worth pointing out that the loop of "get sick, cry at chem window, maybe dose spaceacillin, hope you don't literally gib before it's done getting fixed or a vaccine gets made" was also present back then too
feedback appreciated here <3
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #712569

It'd be nice if we had more Star Trek funny symptoms instead of lame ones. Stuff that gives you an objective or makes you talk backwards or become a lizard is way funnier and much more sci-fi than "fall asleep, you don't get to play anymore."

There are a few good symptoms like that already but we should replace the really lame ones with better stuff too.