Monkey Business by Proxy

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Monkey Business by Proxy

Post by Vekter » #713327

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35376

More "people doing stupid shit because they don't like the map". Even if they didn't actually do it, I think this falls under the "giving someone a bomb and telling them not to set it off" precedents.

E: Also why the flying fuck does Birdshot start with a gorilla cube box in maints
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: Monkey Business by Proxy

Post by Jacquerel » #713328

I did not know that birdshot spawns gorilla cubes in the map and im not convinced that it should
this player has fucked up because now coders know that there's some fun to remove

e: also my take is that if the only people who died were OP and the other participant then playing Gorilla Cube Roulette would be funny and good
getting a bunch of other random people killed as a nonantag is a skill issue
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #713331

People can consent to a non-antag killing them. Them standing around in a public area (medical lobby) =/= consent. If the say logs are accurate, it only implies that the person playing the game of chance would die from it, not the audience. If he had done this in a far more isolated area where the NPCs would be contained and a more detailed explanation was given to the audience, it would've been bueno and I would've fully believed that it was a gimmick made in good faith.

But gorillas by the medical lobby??? lol definitely intentional for it to go "wrong".
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #713332

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:32 pm I did not know that birdshot spawns gorilla cubes in the map and im not convinced that it should
this player has fucked up because now coders know that there's some fun to remove

e: also my take is that if the only people who died were OP and the other participant then playing Gorilla Cube Roulette would be funny and good
getting a bunch of other random people killed as a nonantag is a skill issue
I might spin up StrongDMM tonight and remove it because I feel like hating fun for a bit.

And yeah, if this was in a vacuum and only hurt the people involved, I wouldn't care. The issue here is that they had no way to contain the gorillas, so they inevitably got out and did Gorilla Warfare.

E: God damn I agree with TypicalRig for once, that's how you know you fucked up
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #713333

if we remove secret fun from the map because it's discovered we should put something else in and not tell anyone >:)
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #713334

good idea dendy, brb putting a pulse rifle under a random space tile on every map
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #713335

dendydoom wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:49 pm if we remove secret fun from the map because it's discovered we should put something else in and not tell anyone >:)
I intend to. I'm definitely removing this because apparently it spawns in fucking public tool storage.

Need suggestions. Someone said a bee cube or super pointy tape, I'm thinking those sound good.
Spoiler:

Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #713336

[quote=Vekter post_id=713335 time=1701201228

I intend to. I'm definitely removing this because apparently it spawns in fucking public tool storage.

Need suggestions. Someone said a bee cube or super pointy tape, I'm thinking those sound good.
[/quote]

there is already a bee cube in primary tool storage
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #713337

if you rip down three posters, spin twice and slap a mime it unlocks a secret room where you do parkour for a pulse rifle
respect (let him do his thing)
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #713342

Put in a spray bottle of super duper lube. The stuff that sticks around
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #713343

Anyway, most of their dumbassery in the appeal basically amounts to, "But I didn't actually do it, so I can't be held responsible for the consequences of my actions".

Ians would be perfectly within their right to just tell them they're passing the appeal to headmins, who will almost definitely uphold this because it's very clearly a case of proxy grief.

E:
Annihilite111 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:28 pm Put in a spray bottle of super duper lube. The stuff that sticks around
Woah, calm down there, Hitler.
Spoiler:

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #713344

Ngl it's a funny idea, a shame it got out of hand (OP should have taken better preventative measures ofc). The admin seems very uncharitable and that seems really lame to me.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #713345

wesoda25 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:33 pm Ngl it's a funny idea, a shame it got out of hand (OP should have taken better preventative measures ofc). The admin seems very uncharitable and that seems really lame to me.
I'm not certain the player in question was intentionally acting malicious, but the fact that they keep bringing up that the map was Birdshot makes me think this was a very thinly veiled attempt to push the round along and get the map changed. That's probably where ians is coming from here.

I don't think it changes much, to be honest; the player's not admitting their fault in the matter and just concentrating on how ians is acting in the appeal, when the play would be to admit fault and apologize, since it's very clear they're in the wrong regardless of motivation.

E: There's other details as well that are leading ians to believe the act was in bad faith, but they're in tickets, so I can't post what they are unless ians or the player post it.
Spoiler:

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #713348

I don't disagree with anything you said there and really don't care to argue over any of this, as you mention the player is not without fault and would certainly benefit from owning up to their mistake. At the end of the day I simply dislike the admins conduct and I can't really articulate why beyond what I already said. (and yes the appealants conduct kinda sucks too why on earth are they rules lawyering so hard it aint that complicated)
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #713350

I don't think the person appealing should get banned for as long (if at all), given that they weren't actually the one to activate the monkey cubes. Its like if you're carrying a maxcap, and someone else shoves you and steals it, and blows up medbay with it. At best, you can argue that the person shouldn't have been carrying around a maxcap in public.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #713351

GPeckman wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:01 pm I don't think the person appealing should get banned for as long (if at all), given that they weren't actually the one to activate the monkey cubes. Its like if you're carrying a maxcap, and someone else shoves you and steals it, and blows up medbay with it. At best, you can argue that the person shouldn't have been carrying around a maxcap in public.
If you give someone a choice between a maxcap and an assembly with room temperature air in it and say "pick and activate one, only one of them will kill you" and they set off a maxcap as a result, then that is your fault.
GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #713357

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:12 pm If you give someone a choice between a maxcap and an assembly with room temperature air in it and say "pick and activate one, only one of them will kill you" and they set off a maxcap as a result, then that is your fault.
Yeah but it never actually got to that point. To use your analogy, someone else butted in and detonated both maxcaps before the 'game' could even begin. Is playing the 'game' still very stupid to begin with? Yes, absolutely. Is luck the only reason why this guy didn't do something actually banworthy? Also yes. But the fact remains that someone else set off the gorilla cubes before he could.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #713358

it probably would have been a good idea to set up the game in such a way that only people who consented to it would be inconvenienced by having their head squashed like an overripe grapefruit under a hydraulic press. even if the game was played fairly and the contestant chose the gorilla, what would be different? the outcome would be the same: the gorilla would go on a rampage and kill people.
NSFW:
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #713364

I think he was trying to argue in good faith. Gorillas are scary but if I was in that situation I dont think I would have realized how nuts they are and assumed they'd just get killed soon after it was released. The lack of an apology is "I was acting in good faith and trying to do something cool, and it went wrong and you gave me a 7 day ban like I detonated a bomb and killed 7 people."

Excessive, but admins really love to act by the textbook instead of trying to understand that random shit happens and that it wasn't really intentional murdering of 7 people. A note I'd understand (notes are not punishment, right?) But a ban feels excessive and shitty. One of the big issues I have with the culture of tg is that it seems like non antags messing up whatsoever just isn't tolerated, and despite the fact that there's plenty of antags with special permissions to intentionally grief people and add "engagement" to the round, the second a nonantag does a single amount of harm regardless of circumstances the admins go down hard on them, further diluting the game into a overly safe station with little emergent events occuring as people don't take risks to have fun or create variance and uniqueness to rounds. I'm getting mild flashbacks to the maxcap play, because of the admin team's reaction to the play and the detonator, we will never see another one like it. Even if it was good and interesting. We probably wont even see anything like it, as creativeness was punished with the same punishment as intentional griefing. I'm not even saying it was okay, but that sort of thing makes a fear effect.

Hell, even if it was a note, the fact is that notes feel like punishments. It doesn't really matter if they are, I actually think they probably aren't, but that doesn't matter because they do feel like it and feel like shit.

Even if its complete flop of a gimmick, notes like these completely discourage creative gimmicks or interaction with the game and other people. They also dont account for the individual peoples opinions on the gimmick as well, it is pretty likely that Lizard speaks the truth when some of the people probably were fine with dying and the gimmick. Perhaps they didnt even fight back because they thought it was funny, but there is no way to know.

Edit: also, notes escalate future punishments at an unknown and incredibly dependent on admin rate so if you get a note like this the odds you fuck up another gimmick and get month banned is pretty big. Not fun.
Last edited by Redrover1760 on Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #713366

Vekter wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:53 pm
dendydoom wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:49 pm if we remove secret fun from the map because it's discovered we should put something else in and not tell anyone >:)

FERAL CATS
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #713370

Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:28 pm

FERAL CATS
I CAN'T CODE THE FUCKING CAT GRENADES BECAUSE CATS HAVEN'T BEEN MADE SIMPLE MOBS YET AND MY SMOOTH WET CAVEMAN BRAIN CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THAT
Spoiler:

Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #713371

Redrover1760 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:06 pm Excessive, but admins really love to act by the textbook instead of trying to understand that random shit happens and that it wasn't really intentional murdering of 7 people. A
every new generation of admins for this game are more robotic than the last
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #713373

Vekter wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:34 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:28 pm

FERAL CATS
I CAN'T CODE THE FUCKING CAT GRENADES BECAUSE CATS HAVEN'T BEEN MADE SIMPLE MOBS YET AND MY SMOOTH WET CAVEMAN BRAIN CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THAT
just replace a simplemob sprite with a cat one?

Simple Animals
Simple animals are the most common Living mob type. Animals have simple AI behaviour if not controlled by a player; depending on the animal, it can be aggressive or passive (sometimes passive-aggressive in the case of Poly).

Notable Simple Animals:

Slimes
Pets
Space Carps
Giant Spiders
Lavaland Mobs, and Megafauna

im confused

just make the cats attack
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #713377

Vekter wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:53 pm Need suggestions. Someone said a bee cube or super pointy tape, I'm thinking those sound good.
Adaptive cardboard cutouts. Y'know, the ones normally for traitors? They're not really useful especially by themselves so you have to be clever to really do anything with them.
am gud enineering
scrungo
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #713379

yeah adaptive cardboard cutouts are pretty harmless considering you can do the exact same thing with a spraycan set to white and a stack of cardboard. Just replace it with that
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #713385

Oooh is that why I kept seeing gorillas in birdshot? I never really thought much of it till this appeal.

Insane.

To be honest the gorillas were not much of an issue for me when they did show up.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #713397

We need to make birdshot more like birdboat
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #713398

(gorillas arn't actually that dangerous if security is mildly competent because gorillas take 50% more burn damage and thats still true AFTER the laser buffs)

I'm not saying that hes not guilty because people died due to the slightest incompetence but in most scenarios just walk away from them please gorillas arn't fast and they are more than loud enough to make their presence known....
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #713408

wesoda25 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:52 pm I don't disagree with anything you said there and really don't care to argue over any of this, as you mention the player is not without fault and would certainly benefit from owning up to their mistake. At the end of the day I simply dislike the admins conduct and I can't really articulate why beyond what I already said. (and yes the appealants conduct kinda sucks too why on earth are they rules lawyering so hard it aint that complicated)
FYI ians released the ticket so I can post the part that made them think this was done in bad faith:
i started "a game of chance" because i'm trying to make the round more enjoyable for everyone on a map no one actually wants to play on, though i didn't activate the cubes, someone activated both of them and i didn't get to see who. that aside, if this item is such a big issue and has apparently no way of being used outside of antag purposes why does it even have a guaranteed spawn in a public tool storage in the first place?
daliistaken ➡ iansdoor
2023-11-28T14:43:40
Also I tried to do the map edit today but strongdmm keeps crashing, I'll do it tomorrow
Spoiler:

Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #713410

Fair enough. Guy is a complete clown. Next appeal please.
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #713413

All roundstart monkey cubes should have a 0.5% chance of turning into a gorilla cube. Imagining Allele McZap absentmindedly spraying down another monkey cube and suddenly staring down a hulking 300 kg steppe ape makes me giggle
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #713416

I feel crazy because I still really dislike how this was handled, the assertion of grief in the ban reason and phrases such as "trying to get someone else to do you own dirty work" really rub me the wrong way. What do others think? The general support for this ban is throwing me off as well as my obvious bias relating to maps and player enjoyment as seen here (which goddam i was indirectly blown out of the water for by timber and I do NOT want that to happen again). Ultimately, however, I think admins should always extend players the benefit of the doubt and favor IC solutions over OOC punishments where possible(like ahhh assuming they were online it would have been so perfect just to aheal everyone and note the player so as to document their... proclivity(?) for map grief - but then they probably werent PLUS theyre a trialmin plus(?) they are possibly ESL?). i am conflicted and will NOT be looking back in this thread for some time
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #713420

wesoda25 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:28 am I feel crazy because I still really dislike how this was handled, the assertion of grief in the ban reason and phrases such as "trying to get someone else to do you own dirty work" really rub me the wrong way. What do others think? The general support for this ban is throwing me off as well as my obvious bias relating to maps and player enjoyment as seen here (which goddam i was indirectly blown out of the water for by timber and I do NOT want that to happen again). Ultimately, however, I think admins should always extend players the benefit of the doubt and favor IC solutions over OOC punishments where possible(like ahhh assuming they were online it would have been so perfect just to aheal everyone and note the player so as to document their... proclivity(?) for map grief - but then they probably werent PLUS theyre a trialmin plus(?) they are possibly ESL?). i am conflicted and will NOT be looking back in this thread for some time
If your idea of "trying to make the round more enjoyable for everyone" as a non-antag is to make a gimmick where people have a chance to get killed (grabbing gorilla cubes roundstart and telling people to choose which cube to spray) and then run away when it goes wrong because they spray all of it (maybe they thought you weren't serious) then people are going to start asking questions.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #713422

Seems pretty obvious to me he was just griefing because it was birdshot. Next.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #713430

This is one of those things that would be fun if you are actually an antag.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #713431

Archie700 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 am If your idea of "trying to make the round more enjoyable for everyone" as a non-antag is to make a gimmick where people have a chance to get killed (grabbing gorilla cubes roundstart and telling people to choose which cube to spray) and then run away when it goes wrong because they spray all of it (maybe they thought you weren't serious) then people are going to start asking questions.
the phrasing of this is quite funny. there really is truly nothing wrong with gimmicks where people have a chance to be killed. the issue i see here is that they brought the gimmick to medical. people can die. it will make me laugh. but if u do it near medical then they tend to hinder the actual revive process of the people that died in ur gimmick- at least that’s the biggest issue i see here.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #713432

iwishforducks wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:15 am
Archie700 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 am If your idea of "trying to make the round more enjoyable for everyone" as a non-antag is to make a gimmick where people have a chance to get killed (grabbing gorilla cubes roundstart and telling people to choose which cube to spray) and then run away when it goes wrong because they spray all of it (maybe they thought you weren't serious) then people are going to start asking questions.
the phrasing of this is quite funny. there really is truly nothing wrong with gimmicks where people have a chance to be killed. the issue i see here is that they brought the gimmick to medical. people can die. it will make me laugh. but if u do it near medical then they tend to hinder the actual revive process of the people that died in ur gimmick- at least that’s the biggest issue i see here.
Yeah you know what it would actually be funny if he did it somewhere with less traffic and made an effort to alert people of gorillas if someone "lost" but he did it in a high-traffic instead and just ran away not telling anyone.

I think that's the main issue, Dali didn't try to prevent his gimmick from causing collateral damage.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #713435

also the fact that we’re taking the guy saying “ on a map no one actually wants to play on” as undeniable truth that he was griefing because of the map or whatever is really dumb. it’s a very matter-of-fact. lots of folks dip out when it’s birdshot and express their anguish in OOC when it is. i don’t know why pointing that out automatically makes you receive a 7 day ban.
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:28 am snipping more than a couple posts here
anyways, wesoda, ur not crazy. the handling on this was really bad. sometimes shit just happens. a gorilla being released and killing 7 people is honestly kind of funny. you guys are crazy for not thinking that it is. just send down an emergency medical team or just aheal a few folks that got caught in the blast radius.
Redrover1760 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:06 pm
Spoiler:
I think he was trying to argue in good faith. Gorillas are scary but if I was in that situation I dont think I would have realized how nuts they are and assumed they'd just get killed soon after it was released. The lack of an apology is "I was acting in good faith and trying to do something cool, and it went wrong and you gave me a 7 day ban like I detonated a bomb and killed 7 people."

Excessive, but admins really love to act by the textbook instead of trying to understand that random shit happens and that it wasn't really intentional murdering of 7 people. A note I'd understand (notes are not punishment, right?) But a ban feels excessive and shitty. One of the big issues I have with the culture of tg is that it seems like non antags messing up whatsoever just isn't tolerated, and despite the fact that there's plenty of antags with special permissions to intentionally grief people and add "engagement" to the round, the second a nonantag does a single amount of harm regardless of circumstances the admins go down hard on them, further diluting the game into a overly safe station with little emergent events occuring as people don't take risks to have fun or create variance and uniqueness to rounds. I'm getting mild flashbacks to the maxcap play, because of the admin team's reaction to the play and the detonator, we will never see another one like it. Even if it was good and interesting. We probably wont even see anything like it, as creativeness was punished with the same punishment as intentional griefing. I'm not even saying it was okay, but that sort of thing makes a fear effect.

Hell, even if it was a note, the fact is that notes feel like punishments. It doesn't really matter if they are, I actually think they probably aren't, but that doesn't matter because they do feel like it and feel like shit.

Even if its complete flop of a gimmick, notes like these completely discourage creative gimmicks or interaction with the game and other people. They also dont account for the individual peoples opinions on the gimmick as well, it is pretty likely that Lizard speaks the truth when some of the people probably were fine with dying and the gimmick. Perhaps they didnt even fight back because they thought it was funny, but there is no way to know.

Edit: also, notes escalate future punishments at an unknown and incredibly dependent on admin rate so if you get a note like this the odds you fuck up another gimmick and get month banned is pretty big. Not fun.
this is a good way of putting it. dont back down on this cuz this was very well written. sometimes shit just happens and it’s really fucking funny when it does. like gonna be real i cracked a smile when i read the gorilla had a killcount of 7. that’s a skill issue right there.

im gonna be real: griefing is fun folks. it really is. i love participating in events/gimmicks where the chance of me dying is high. it’s much more fun than dying to Progression Traitor or Progression Traitor But Before Biddle Traitors And Also Magical. feels like over the years we deincentivize risky gimmicks more and more. it’s truly a shame. there’s of course a difference between “heeheehoohoo i blow up a maxcap in medical bay” and some soft-grief gimmick. but i will never forget the time when a chaplain handed a mime a holy hand grenade and the mime accidentally activated it in the medical bay, instantly killing like 6 people and indirectly bumping it up to a baker’s dozen via proxy of it being icebox. i cannot remember why there were like 20 people gathered in medical. regardless, my sides were in orbit that day.
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #713436

no ducks, griefing is not good as a non antag
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #713437

kinnebian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:02 pm no ducks, griefing is not good as a non antag
*griefs you*
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #713438

iwishforducks wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am i don’t know why pointing that out automatically makes you receive a 7 day ban.
did you read the appeal
its standard for a day per kill the fact he hated the map was only brought up because its a shit reason to grief as a non antag and it was his only defence in the ticket
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #713439

kinnebian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:08 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am i don’t know why pointing that out automatically makes you receive a 7 day ban.
did you read the appeal
its standard for a day per kill the fact he hated the map was only brought up because its a shit reason to grief as a non antag and it was his only defence in the ticket
he literally never brought up that he “hated the map” fool. you cannot be telling me i did not read the appeal and then just Lie. Fool.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #713440

People always stick towards the most negative context he basically said "i wanna make round fun cuz its birdshot and nobody likes this map" this lowkey points towards wanting help from the secret rule more than it points towards admitting he was griefing cause of a bad map
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #713441

iwishforducks wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:13 pm
kinnebian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:08 pm
did you read the appeal
he literally never brought up that he “hated the map” fool. you cannot be telling me i did not read the appeal and then just Lie. Fool.

Code: Select all

i started "a game of chance" because i'm trying to make the round more enjoyable for everyone on a map no one actually wants to play on
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #713442

i don't get the feeling they were malicious at all in that they were trying to end the round early or whatever, a single gorilla wouldn't do that, just that their gimmick shouldn't have been in the got dang medbay lobby when they know it's going to cause absolute havoc if the gorilla is activated. non-antags can do goofy shit like this all they want with consenting parties, it becomes an IC issue if there are any repercussions.
NSFW:
Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #713448

iwishforducks wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am
this is a good way of putting it. dont back down on this cuz this was very well written. sometimes shit just happens and it’s really fucking funny when it does. like gonna be real i cracked a smile when i read the gorilla had a killcount of 7. that’s a skill issue right there.
I dont exactly abandon my argument, but the guy is a clown. Its a really bad look to argue good faith but instead of trying to contain, warn, or fight the gorilla to immediately run away and tide into science and immediately get into conflict with the scientists there.

You can set plasma fires loose on accident but you better try to contain them if they get set loose. Or at least scream about it on radio. If your gimmick goes wrong, its a lot better of a look if you die fighting it or at least try to coordinate something.
GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #713450

To use an analogy, this guy was about to shoot himself in the foot, but then the second guy said "get down mister president" and jumped in front of the bullet. The appealer almost did kill 7 people, but the second guy managed to do it first. I would've just banned the second guy for 7 days and noted the guy appealing to be more careful with his gimmicks in the future.
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #713452

GPeckman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:23 pm To use an analogy, this guy was about to shoot himself in the foot, but then the second guy said "get down mister president" and jumped in front of the bullet. The appealer almost did kill 7 people, but the second guy managed to do it first. I would've just banned the second guy for 7 days and noted the guy appealing to be more careful with his gimmicks in the future.
why would you just note the guy for bringing a dangerous item to medical with the intent to activate it, it's still his fault it was in medical in the first place
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #713455

play stupid games and you risk winning stupid prizes
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #713457

Also, mob gorillas take a lot of punishment (it started at 220 HP), can delimb with a punch (crippling attacks) and can wallstun.