Convince me off the efficacy of roleplay rule 5 (antagonist restrictions)

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Convince me off the efficacy of roleplay rule 5 (antagonist restrictions)

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #713800

Bottom post of the previous page:

So our roleplay rules have been through hell (and back?) and I remain deeply skeptical of many of the rules intentions and efficacy. Although I consider myself an avid roleplayer, and would love to see a higher standard of roleplay on the servers I play on, it does not seem like our MRP rules our providing that, at least by my personal experience.

I believe it is fair to say that a roleplay rule is successful if it promotes a higher quality of roleplay within the server, and if you disagree with this definition, you also likely disagree with the mission statement of our MRP ruleset in the first place.

Lets focus our attention into one of the most hotly debated roleplay rule, rule 5
[quote = 5. Antagonism and roleplaying as an antagonist.]
The goal of antagonists on MRP is to create stories and make rounds interesting, for both antagonist players and crew-sided players alike. Antagonists are expected to put in at least some effort towards playing their designated role, though may break with it given sufficient in character reason. Some antagonists are restricted in the ways and quantities they may lend themselves to visiting death and destruction upon the crew.[/quote]

Now the first part of this rule is not controversial. Antagonists are vital to many interesting stories, and antagonists should put forward some effort to "playing the role" of the given antagonist. If you area traitor you should do traitor things, and if you are a changeling you should do changeling things. This first part is also not enforced very often, friendly or passive antagonists are stigmatized but very rarely punished by administrative action (although an admin would explicitly be in the right to do so, as confirmed in precedents).

The full list of precedents can be found here for review : https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#RP_Rule_5_Precedents

It makes intuitive sense to me how the first half of rule 5 encourages roleplay, it requires you make some effort to "play your role" as an antagonist, and forbids actions that would be antithetical to your role without good reason.

The second part of this rule "Some antagonists are restricted in the ways and quantities they may lend themselves to visiting death and destruction upon the crew," is where I and many others begin to take hesitancy. These exact restrictions can be found at this link: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Rest ... estruction

What is not immediately obvious to me, is why these restrictions on antagonist action benefit the quality of roleplay. They appear convoluted, difficult to remember, and arbitrary, at least at first blush. Additionally, it seems like this would diminish the quality of roleplay in interactions with this antagonist because they are being explicitly prevented from doing actions which would otherwise be "within the scope" of their role. Furthermore, the complicated nature of the rules text leads to misunderstanding of exactly what a restricted antagonist can or can not do. This alongside the threat of punishment would presumably lead players, myself included at some point, to be very fearful of what kind of actions they are allowed to preform. This means the player is now worried about not breaking the rules of the game, instead of following the action that they think their character would best take.

For these reasons, the restrictions provided by the second half of rule 5 intuitively seem to do more harm than good for the quality of roleplay in the server.

But I come with an open mind, is it perhaps that there are roleplay benefits to rule 5 that outweigh negatives? Or is it perhaps that these negatives are not actually negatives in all reality.
To all the supporters of roleplay rule 5 (the second half specifically), I ask for your attempts to convince me that my logic is flawed.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Re: Convince me off the efficacy of roleplay rule 5 (antagonist restrictions)

Post by dendydoom » #713985

i think heretic could work if we can accept that there are just 1 gimmick heavily mechanical antags and not expect much deviation from them. i would like traitor to be the og "here's a toybox of funny bullshit go wild" freeform gimmick machine again, at the moment it's the only antag i have enabled personally but sometimes i just sigh when i get it because it's work to set shit up. maybe this is just me because i'm fucking lazy who knows...
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #714033

Armhulen wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:01 pm

(All of these thoughts are why I am a varietymaxxing unexpectedcel. I want rounds to be unpredictable. I want people to go in, and not even KNOW what the map looks like. Spessmen are too beholden to knowing what the fuck is going on and we gotta normalize the opposite. Lethal company, the game in my pfp, is the most fun and most spooky when you're fresh and you have no idea what the sounds are, the monsters, you're just going in blind and if you make it you make it.)
Unpredictable maps? are we going to get randomly generated maps like a dungeon crawler?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #714090

not unless we replace our entire mapping team with different people who dont hate that idea
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #714098

as for things like field executions i don't really care all that much you don't need some laundry list of things you did to validate it as long as you've made every effort to make it into a story for the other player. if you have a moment to turn it into a scene for them then i'd expect you to do so, they deserve some sort of narrative capstone to their round. being wordlessly gunned down because you hit the threshold for valid a good story does not make.

the exception obviously being when things are so chaotic that you literally could not stop gaming to move your fingers to the typing position because it would get you owned. in these cases it's obviously only fair to show understanding to the pressure the player is under to act and every decision made in that case is going to be imperfect.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #714286

Critawakets wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:29 pm I've only seen ONE changeling actively try to sabotage engineering, specifically the supermatter in that case, with no atmos sabotages to speak of. Murderbone would be interesting if people were actually fun about it.
Oh hey that might've been me.