bro just one more gel bro PLEASE I promise I'm not a powergamer PLEASE

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

bro just one more gel bro PLEASE I promise I'm not a powergamer PLEASE

Post by DrAmazing343 » #716135

What's everyone's thoughts on powergaming in Medbay?

I think a fair few people know about the "carry around the roundstart multiver" cheese for poisons, and maybe a few enterprising Seccies know about Nuka Cola speeding you up; where does chem gaming/cheese go from fair game to foul play?

My personal opinion on the matter is that there's no real line for powergaming chemistry as Medical unless you're prepping full combat mixes on a greenshift; however, I believe that that too, can be gamed or worked around or reasoned out, given one chem more or less or whatever bullshit someone can come up with.

I like to prep one of the FULL roundstart boxes of Medical Gels in the Chemistry room and then keep backup beakers of my constituent mixes in an emptied out pill bottle box from the same locker; this takes me 25-30 minutes around the start of the shift and keeps me stocked until past shuttle time, for the most part.

I absolutely love to use chems to speed up as MUCH medical treatment as humanly possible because there's something incredibly satisfying about diagnosing, dosing, deffibing, and having a patient standing within thirty seconds even after a gruesome death. Some of my friends make fun of me for being a nerd.

What do you guys think?
Walter brought back Crack.
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Re: bro just one more gel bro PLEASE I promise I'm not a powergamer PLEASE

Post by Drag » #716140

Interacting with your own job content is not powergaming.

Going out of your way to obtain strong gear from outside of your reasonable play area is powergaming.

If you try to poison a medical staff member and their response is to use multivier, skill issue on your part.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #716141

honestly if i only spend 1 minute in medbay i am happy
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #716143

Yeah I’ve always taken powergaming to refer stuff like making super aids viruses as a non-antag virologist, toxins so vile they rot you to the core as a non-antag chemist, etc. Usually involving having something to kill antags easily without proper IC reasoning (this part is more the case for Manuel) It’d be like saying stealing escape pod engines as a CT to make the cargo shuttle go faster is powergaming, or making super good food as a chef is powergaming.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #716144

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:43 amIt’d be like saying stealing escape pod engines as a CT to make the cargo shuttle go faster is powergaming
???

YOU CAN DO THIS?
scamoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by scamoppi » #716145

the people working in medbay are drinking strange substances like "multiver" and "libital" but if i down two bottles of hooch then all of a sudden i'm the one who's been poisoned!?
𓆏 [...]... ([...] [...] [...] [...] [...]?)
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #716147

I think we should fix water/potassium chem purging (unless... maybe the recent organ change already did?)
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #716148

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:32 pm I think we should fix water/potassium chem purging (unless... maybe the recent organ change already did?)
unless the recent organ changes fixed it, im pretty sure maintainers blocked any removal of it unless it gave some proper way to clear chemicals that isnt complete ass

edit: here was a pr trying to remove water+potas https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/66261 - and i still completely agree with what people have said so… l0l
Last edited by iwishforducks on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #716149

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:53 am
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:43 amIt’d be like saying stealing escape pod engines as a CT to make the cargo shuttle go faster is powergaming
???

YOU CAN DO THIS?
No
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #716150

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:48 pm
Jacquerel wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:32 pm I think we should fix water/potassium chem purging (unless... maybe the recent organ change already did?)
unless the recent organ changes fixed it, im pretty sure maintainers blocked any removal of it unless it gave some proper way to clear chemicals that isnt complete ass
dont worry i am maintainers
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #716151

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:57 pm
iwishforducks wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:48 pm
dont worry i am maintainers
*worries
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #716153

it only makes me sad cus when i roll doctor i want to larp as a doctor, and that involves strapping my patients to a bed and carving them up to heal them. it lets me talk to them and it's the main source of my interactions with the wider crew outside of medbay metagang *wag spamming and headpatting.

having a 4000 hour chemist set up a healmix shower in the doorway with 15 medbots so that i never have to get up except to defib for the mediborg or put someone's arm back in its socket every 20 minutes even on a highpop 70 crew round makes me want to put a gun in my mouth.

nothing personal to the people that do this, they are playing the game and having fun and i don't think this should change. but there is only so much healing that needs to be done and it's quite easy to optimize the fun out of it in my personal anecdotal experience.

as for powergaming, it's always going to be a case by case basis, because it's a matter of judging intent. two people doing the exact same thing but under different circumstances with different intentions makes all the difference. but generally if you're preparing for a threat that you have no IC reason to believe exists, then you are approaching a questionable orbit.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #716166

I will remove dispenser eventually dont worry.
britgrenadier1
Byond Username: Britgrenadier1

Post by britgrenadier1 » #716185

Timonk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:33 am honestly if i only spend 1 minute in medbay i am happy
its this. Being dead sucks. Everyone complains about medbay powergaming until you are healed from 500 brute and dead to full in 10 seconds
I play Culls-The-Leviathan and Chris O' Riley. Primarily on Manny

MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #716247

Nothing about medbay is powergaming and I would even go as far as saying that the dozens of tiders looting it for quick heals at round start are not powergaming either since realistically you want medical supplies scattered throughout the station, not centralized to one location, especially with the current iteration of wounds where treating it asap helps with alot of long term headaches for both the inflicted individual and the medical staff themselves.

They are literally FIRST AID supplies....
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #716249

The only thing I think is power gaming in med is filling the chem gun with powerful and deadly chems every round for no reason other than "i wanna protect myself from antag"

Getting stuff to be a better healer? Not power gaming but might end up getting boring if its the same technique every round.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #716253

I created a cmo setup so powerful that it ruined any fun of med so I swore off most chems
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #716254

Constellado wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:57 am The only thing I think is power gaming in med is filling the chem gun with powerful and deadly chems every round for no reason other than "i wanna protect myself from antag"

Getting stuff to be a better healer? Not power gaming but might end up getting boring if its the same technique every round.
Paramedics doing this shit is why using the crossbow to heal gets you lynch'd 90% of the time
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #716274

chocolate_bickie wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:46 am
Constellado wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:57 am The only thing I think is power gaming in med is filling the chem gun with powerful and deadly chems every round for no reason other than "i wanna protect myself from antag"

Paramedics doing this shit is why using the crossbow to heal gets you lynch'd 90% of the time
95% of paramedics are tiders and/or antags. I’m amazed the job has the access levels it has considering how often I see it abused, even on Manuel. I would trust a clown with a syringe gun more than a paramedic honestly.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #716276

Blacklist897 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:45 am I created a cmo setup so powerful that it ruined any fun of med so I swore off most chems
Is it possible to learn this power?
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #716392

Blacklist897 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:45 am I created a cmo setup so powerful that it ruined any fun of med so I swore off most chems
A lot of the pure Synthflesh/Seiver factories tend to feel like this. I remember a Northstar round when I didn't have fuck-all to do because all we had to do was the splash potion of healing and a little pill to take two of and call back in the morning; not super engaging, but certainly efficient.

I love the rounds where my personal kit that I hand-made and tailored over loads of experience in rounds is almost completely empty, but I have the knowledge I saved like 20-30 people in the round. I won't shittalk factories because they're complex and my beloved chemists are smartypants, but I do like my way a lot better because it's far more personal.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #716422

DrAmazing343 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:04 am
A lot of the pure Synthflesh/Seiver factories tend to feel like this. I remember a Northstar round when I didn't have fuck-all to do because all we had to do was the splash potion of healing and a little pill to take two of and call back in the morning; not super engaging, but certainly efficient.

I love the rounds where my personal kit that I hand-made and tailored over loads of experience in rounds is almost completely empty, but I have the knowledge I saved like 20-30 people in the round. I won't shittalk factories because they're complex and my beloved chemists are smartypants, but I do like my way a lot better because it's far more personal.
Yeah, I'm kinda of the opinion factories should be removed. Sure, they're complex, and the things that people can do with them is incredibly cool, but at the same time it feels frankly god awful when it happens because now there's literally no need for the rest of Med.

What's the point of being "skilled at Med" if it's rendered completely irrelevant because one single chemist decided to automate enough chems to keep the entire station fully healed through hell and high water.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #716436

People really be like

slaps all-heal-sali-salbu-oxy-atro-mani-40u-one-only-or-else-overdose patch onto everyone God I'm so bored why is there so little to do in medical
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #716440

mrmelbert wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:46 pm People really be like

slaps all-heal-sali-salbu-oxy-atro-mani-40u-one-only-or-else-overdose patch onto everyone God I'm so bored why is there so little to do in medical
code issue. we cant expect players to not optimize fun out of the game
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #716442

so many people do this any admins dont carre
BonChoi
Byond Username: BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #716443

jokes on you I have the severe medicine allergy quirk to make medical's job interesting and to get pissy at them when they give me something I'm allergic to.
Another bad take provided by yours truly.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #716444

mrmelbert wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:46 pm People really be like

THIIIIIS, med players are SO BOOOORING. and will actively shove you out of the way to have the least fun tending someone, ive been critted in med before for daring to tend wounds on a patient ratherthan use the fuck you patch
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #716455

speed and efficiency in removing consequences is the measure of good medical play, but unfortunately there is very little skill or art to the quickest and best ways of getting spacemen vertical and back to their robusting

once you've made the healing mix or fac, gotten your slime cores or strange reagent or what have you, the measure of your skill as a doctor is in managing the environment, your resources, and other things than any discrete act of healing - there is no skill involved in any discrete act of healing except knowing which one is best and switching to it.

it'd be cool if tending had a minigame of some sort that let you make it extra fast by like, moving your mouse through a series of dots on a track without hitting the walls - a way to change that, maybe, idk.
feedback appreciated here <3
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #716456

I'm surprised how nobody has mentionned that cryostasis can basically fix like 50% of the wound people come in and that's only with the basic cryox mix. It is disgustingly powerful for something roundstart that you can just shove people into. I've seen more than a fair share of docs that just don't use cryo because it's too busted to be fun.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #716459

Critawakets wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:02 am I'm surprised how nobody has mentionned that cryostasis can basically fix like 50% of the wound people come in and that's only with the basic cryox mix. It is disgustingly powerful for something roundstart that you can just shove people into. I've seen more than a fair share of docs that just don't use cryo because it's too busted to be fun.
As a heavy sleeper user NO
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #716484

BonChoi wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:11 pm jokes on you I have the severe medicine allergy quirk to make medical's job interesting and to get pissy at them when they give me something I'm allergic to.
I joke a lot about slaying allergy users but it did give me the good practice habit of always right clicking with the analyzer, and it does reward me for carrying individual chems in addition to my mixes like I normally do. I never thought I'd say this, but allergy users shaking up my normal med cycle is probably pretty good.

I think a lot of the fun of med "powergaming," in addition to mass-verticalling spacemen (which has led to a few 2008-tier montage edits in my head to Battle Tapes songs), is certainly the individual journey of discovery, memorization, and eventual mastery. This is, of course, the main loop for a lot of the game's content, and is rewarding in of itself, but for med/chem it's very interesting personally because there's just so fucking many chems.

At first, it was figuring out what did what; then, it was realizing I could mix two different chems that produced the same result to do it faster, or more efficiently. Then, it was learning about methods of application, whether syringe gun, spray, patch, or pill. After that was purity, and acquiring the Holy Texts (google document) that showed me general ways to brute-force purity, as well as helping me create pure and effective chemicals that were more esoteric and not expanded upon in the wiki's article. Now? I'm STILL finding out little things about each method I've mentioned!

That's the beauty of it for me. Yesterday, I figured out I could cool water to make ice like the cool chemists use for their patches, but instead toss it in my one (1) extra gel can that I have had leftover for a while in my "loadout" to create an ice/potassium can that has a whopping twelve uses instead of carrying two extra beakers that were very clunky.

I initially created this thread because one of my friends who deliberately plays chemless teases me endlessly about "chemless Jane" (among other things) and prods me about powergaming, so I wanted to gauge reactions. I think, overall, my thoughts haven't changed a whole lot broadly, but overall this has softened a bit of my harsher ideas about underperforming and incompetence people who need a little bit of correcting in the medbay.

I really do love this game, and the intricacy of Chem is endless, no matter how "gamed" it has been, is, or will become. I'll keep maintaining that until the next (oversimplified) system comes in and instantly drains every ounce of blood from my body and embalms my corpse in oil. Also, as an aside, witnessing LRP is wild for discovering chem tricks because there's a mix of Einsteins and monkeys on typewriters on Sybil and Terry that you can't get anywhere else, and I love it, too, even if I can hardly stand to play it.